Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan cancels Arkansas series to renew Notre DAME rivalry

Started by Murr, July 06, 2016, 11:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The following teams show openings for their season openers in 2018/2019 when we had Michigan scheduled, who would you choose to play?

Florida State
Michigan State
Georgia Tech
Virginia
TCU
Wake Forest
Air Force
Navy
Univ of Central Florida
Tulane

Murr

Losers.  But at least we don't have to deal with that troll Jim Harbaugh.  News breaking from twitters

Murr

Sounds like the termination penalty is only $2M for Michigan.  To me, it might be hard to find a decent Power 5 opponent to schedule a home-and-home series in two years time.  We might be better off returning the A&M game to the campuses and use Jerry's  World to host two one off games.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Murr on July 06, 2016, 11:47:14 pm
Sounds like the termination penalty is only $2M for Michigan.  To me, it might be hard to find a decent Power 5 opponent to schedule a home-and-home series in two years time.  We might be better off returning the A&M game to the campuses and use Jerry's  World to host two one off games.

Who hi-jacked your account? Coherence aint usually your thang.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Any links?
Proof?

Pre-Harbaugh I was looking forward to this series.
Post Harbaugh had me thinking this would turn into an "SEC isn't that great" diatribe from that Barnum and Bailey attention clown if they won.
Seriously, a no win scenario for us.

I was even still looking forward to the series with Harbaugh, a masterful coach.
Then came the satellite camps and bizarre news grabbing.

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ZERO

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

RME

jkstock04

This sucks balls big time IMO. Was looking forward to a quality road trip game...would've for sure gone to see the Hogs play in the big house. That's a once in a lifetime opportunity type of deal.

I'm sure we can replace this game with a Tennessee St. type of opponent...be real legit. Everyone will be ecstatic for the easy W instead.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ZERO

You know, there CAN be a happy medium. We don't have to have an FCS opponent, but we also don't have to have a playoff threat when we're already going to be playing three or four playoff threats every year in the SEC.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 06, 2016, 11:57:43 pm
This sucks balls big time IMO. Was looking forward to a quality road trip game...would've for sure gone to see the Hogs play in the big house.

I'm sure we can replace this game with a Tennessee St. type of opponent...be real legit.

I guess you don't keep up with the SEC teams very well.
Why not schedule the AZ Cardinals as well?
I mean, the schedule obviously is a cake walk.

Also, I don't see why we couldn't get a really good P5 team like Louisville.
Wow the subplots.
What about Oklahoma State?  Iowa?  Washington?

I don't care if we schedule a top 10 team OOC or not.  By season's end, we'll have played 3-5 top ten teams anyway.
Also, what a lot of very dense people don't get is that a four loss team from the SEC may be a top 15 team.  Someone has to lose the game.  So end of year wins/losses rarely tells the whole story.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

PharmacistHog

Michigan is liable to blow up with harbaugh. This one probably works in our favor.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

bennyl08

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 07, 2016, 12:17:24 am
Michigan is liable to blow up with harbaugh. This one probably works in our favor.

Agree. It wouldn't be USC all over again, but if he can turn around Michigan half as well as he did with Stanford and the Niners, then it would be like having a second Bama on the schedule. That said, depending on where we are as a program, that could be a really exciting matchup.

However, I really like the idea of Washington. I've gotten to see a sea hawk game but never a game at UW. Would be a great way to spend a weekend in Seattle.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 07, 2016, 12:25:43 am
Agree. It wouldn't be USC all over again, but if he can turn around Michigan half as well as he did with Stanford and the Niners, then it would be like having a second Bama on the schedule. That said, depending on where we are as a program, that could be a really exciting matchup.

However, I really like the idea of Washington. I've gotten to see a sea hawk game but never a game at UW. Would be a great way to spend a weekend in Seattle.
We are not the same little piggies that we were under Houston Nutt....we played USC during a typical down cycle in talent caused by Houston Nutt and his recruiting...we can go to LSU and Ole Miss and win, but we're skeered to play big bad BLUE and the "khaki kid" ?  I see you are back into the "poor lil' Arkansas" mode as so many on this website tend to get, even when we are doing well...woe is us
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 07, 2016, 12:42:37 am
We are not the same little piggies that we were under Houston Nutt....we played USC during a typical down cycle in talent caused by Houston Nutt and his recruiting...we can go to LSU and Ole Miss and win, but we're skeered to play big bad BLUE and the "khaki kid" ?  I see you are back into the "poor lil' Arkansas" mode as so many on this website tend to get, even when we are doing well...woe is us

What a load of crap. The west is LOADED. We start consistently running the west with only one loss and THEN talk to me about setting up some out of conference trap game against Michigan, USC,or some other high profile team. We havent beat Bama in ten years. We are trending up but no need to add pressure to an already ridiculously difficult schedule. Just my opinion. I'd rather play a middle of the pack power-5 team. A nebraska, virginia tech, ucla.

RME

Is 7 regular season wins doing "well" to you?

I'm not saying we aren't doing well, but concerns against playing Michigan in 3 seasons are warranted. The SEC gauntlet is strong enough. Once we get to that next-level where we're competing for championships year in and year out, yeah I'll feel better about playing teams like Michigan. That may be us in 3 years, it may not be. Who knows.

RME

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 07, 2016, 12:52:46 am
What a load of crap. The west is LOADED. We start consistently running the west with only one loss and THEN talk to me about setting up some out of conference trap game against Michigan, USC,or some other high profile team. We havent beat Bama in ten years. We are trending up but no need to add pressure to an already ridiculously difficult schedule. Just my opinion. I'd rather play a middle of the pack power-5 team. A nebraska, virginia tech, ucla.

1000000% agree. Spot on. Once we hit that Alabama level, then I'll feel better about scheduling like they do. I mean, they've played West Virginia (2014), Wisconsin (2015), and USC this year. Those teams are very good, but it's not like they're playoff contenders.

razorback44

It's called common sense. We already play LSU, Ole Miss, Bama, etc. There is no need to add another legit P5 team to the schedule just to please some folks on a message board. A win goes a lot further than an attractive game that ends in a loss.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

bennyl08

No, we aren't. Our team next year would wreck the 2005 team IMO. However, Saban was solidly beat by a Meyer coached OSU team. Stanford was 1-11 the year before Khakis took over. 5 straight years of no bowl eligibility. In 4 years, that team was 12-1 and has only had one sub 11 win season in the past 6 years following the 12-1 season. Then, with the Niners, he took a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 8 years, finishing 3rd or worse in the division for 6/8 years, and in the first year, took then to the conference champ, then the super bowl, then conference champ, before losing the team in year 4 there.

Combine that success with the tradition of Michigan, and I'd bet that such a team would be in the thick of the SEC West crown if they played in the division and would be a favorite to win about any other conference with the only two teams that are a threat being tOSU and Bama.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hugo Bezdek

Michigan State, Florida State, North Carolina, and BYU are some of the teams that appear to be looking for opponents in 2018-19.

Cinco de Hogo

Guarantee you Michigan, Harbaugh and their fans looks at us just about how we look at Texas Tech, Rutgers etc... 

rzrbk4life

Was looking forward to beating big mouth jim. I have no doubt CBB will find us a quality replacement but like some have said, there's no reason we need to schedule a top 10 team when we play in the SEC. We will have plenty of opportunities to prove ourselves and win some quality games. WPS
Let's call those hogs!!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

I wanted no part of Harbaugh. No skin off my back. What's Kansas doing?

But in all seriousness I'm sure JL has know about this for a while. Probably the reason he was looking to add that OU game in Houston for one off these seasons.

Torqued pork

Schedule Baylor if possible. Hogville wisdom says they should be as soft and cuddly as a kitten by then.

Hawghiggs

Is this true? I hope it's true. We do not need to be playing Michigan. Schedule Kansas or Kansas state.

hogcard1964

It may be too late for them to try that. I think that home and home is already locked.  Regardless, I wouldn't care if we were off their schedule.  You have to expect Harbaugh to be fired by then anyway.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 07, 2016, 03:01:08 am
Guarantee you Michigan, Harbaugh and their fans looks at us just about how we look at Texas Tech, Rutgers etc...

They fear us because we lose to teams like Texas Tech and Rutgers?

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 06:27:54 am
It may be too late for them to try that. I think that home and home is already locked.  Regardless, I wouldn't care if we were off their schedule.  You have to expect Harbaugh to be fired by then anyway.

Nothing is locked, that's what contracts are for. They will pay the $2M penalty and move on, sucks, but that's why you have contracts.

https://twitter.com/RyanKras/status/750895219403554816

rljjr

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 06:30:57 am
Nothing is locked, that's what contracts are for. They will pay the $2M penalty and move on, sucks, but that's why you have contracts.

https://twitter.com/RyanKras/status/750895219403554816

If true, good.  We can't beat anyone from the Big 10 anyway. 

Schedule a home and home with someone like Tulane or New Mexico, Tulsa...  someone we have an actual shot at beating.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 07, 2016, 06:41:17 am
If true, good.  We can't beat anyone from the Big 10 anyway. 

Schedule a home and home with someone like Tulane or New Mexico, Tulsa...  someone we have an actual shot at beating.

Oh, ok.......and we when do, don't complain.......what I'm I thinking, you always complain.

And one thing more, we have to schedule a P5, it's in the SEC rules these days.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 06:47:28 am
Oh, ok.......and we when do, don't complain.......what I'm I thinking, you always complain.

Maybe ASU will be in the B12 by then...

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

SemperHawg

Quote from: rljjr on July 07, 2016, 06:31:50 am
Harbaugh scare.
This.... He/They get a marquee matchup that puts dollars in both of their pockets and Michigan gets to run over one of the most consistently overrated teams in the country.  Seems like a no brainer for Michigan. 

VictoryRedChevy

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on July 07, 2016, 02:37:51 am
Michigan State, Florida State, North Carolina, and BYU are some of the teams that appear to be looking for opponents in 2018-19.
I'd love to see Florida State replace this Michigan series.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jkstock04

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 07, 2016, 12:13:59 am

Wow the subplots.

I don't care if we schedule a top 10 team OOC or not.  By season's end, we'll have played 3-5 top ten teams anyway.
Also, what a lot of very dense people don't get is that a four loss team from the SEC may be a top 15 team.  Someone has to lose the game.  So end of year wins/losses rarely tells the whole story.
Hurry up and get the memo to Alabama that they are dense and don't have to schedule tough OOC games. They are obviously too dense to get it.

For fans that actually go to the games it matters. Like I said, that was a road trip I was looking forward to. Maybe we will replace it with something comparable maybe not.   
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2016, 06:47:28 am

OK, then schedule a dog... Kansas, Iowa St, Wake Forest or UConn then.  We don't play well against the Big 10.

Buff

Harbaugh has a giant void between his legs  Where most males would normally have a set of balls hanging, he just has a gaping black hole.

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 07, 2016, 07:42:03 am
Hurry up and get the memo to Alabama that they are dense and don't have to schedule tough OOC games. They are obviously too dense to get it.

For fans that actually go to the games it matters. Like I said, that was a road trip I was looking forward to. Maybe we will replace it with something comparable maybe not.   

Alabama doesn't have to schedule tough OOC games, they do it because they want to but it isn't a necessity. More power to them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

onebadrubi

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 07, 2016, 07:50:01 am
Set up a home and home with Miami.

They open with LSU in 2018 and Florida in 2019 so no room for us.

JaketheSnake

Bring on Michigan St!  The hype for that game would be awesome with the styles of play. 

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

hogcard1964

I just heard on ESPN radio, that this is a rumor at this point.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

ALLVOL

Add me to the group who doesn't like this. That was a game of the week typ game. Game day would've been there and all the hype. CBB would've had a blast taking down Harbough both on the field and in the press.
College football fans across the nation lose out on this.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on July 07, 2016, 05:27:38 am
Schedule Baylor if possible. Hogville wisdom says they should be as soft and cuddly as a kitten by then.

Don't you mean teddy bear........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

brich75206

I don't like this either, I was looking forward to making the trip to Ann Arbor.  I hope we can replace them with another quality opponent and not a rent-a-win.

ALLVOL

Quote from: brich75206 on July 07, 2016, 08:36:26 am
I don't like this either, I was looking forward to making the trip to Ann Arbor.  I hope we can replace them with another quality opponent and not a rent-a-win.
Wisconsin would be a great home and home.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 07, 2016, 12:13:59 am

Wow the subplots.

Okie Lite got enough of the SEC in the Sugar Bowl.  No way do they want to play us.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 07, 2016, 03:01:08 am

Harbaugh maybe but not their fans. I've been up there and worked among them. They have respect for all the SEC teams except Vandy and KY. They do not however like the fact that the SEC is considered overall better than the Big10.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi