Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unpopular Opinion: The 2015 running game was bad and Pittman was the reason.

Started by Killean, July 03, 2016, 05:10:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Up there somewhere ^^^^, someone posted that we gained almost 500 yards against Toledo.  Slanting, stunting defense...whatever the case, we moved the ball.  We just didn't move it across the goal line often enough.  What I recall was their QB throwing 7 yard pass after 7 yard pass to guys wide open in our secondary...just playing pitch and catch. 

While I recall thinking that we should be able to run more on Toledo, I have also seen teams sell out to stop the run and be effective with that approach even when they were far less talented.  I remember D-Mac struggling against Tenn. Chattanooga in LR back in the day just as one example.  That didn't worry me.  What did worry me was how our defense wasn't nearly what it was in 2014.  They improved, and so did our offense. 

But I agree...NEITHER unit started the season where it seemed they should have, but I think a large part of the feeling about the O-line was the build up to begin with.  We bought into the hype of how big and bad they were, but we had guys playing new positions, and we lost some experience.  It still doesn't stand out to me as the reason we lost those games early on.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

longpig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 05, 2016, 03:27:25 pm
Up there somewhere ^^^^, someone posted that we gained almost 500 yards against Toledo.  Slanting, stunting defense...whatever the case, we moved the ball.  We just didn't move it across the goal line often enough.  What I recall was their QB throwing 7 yard pass after 7 yard pass to guys wide open in our secondary...just playing pitch and catch. 

While I recall thinking that we should be able to run more on Toledo, I have also seen teams sell out to stop the run and be effective with that approach even when they were far less talented.  I remember D-Mac struggling against Tenn. Chattanooga in LR back in the day just as one example.  That didn't worry me.  What did worry me was how our defense wasn't nearly what it was in 2014.  They improved, and so did our offense. 

But I agree...NEITHER unit started the season where it seemed they should have, but I think a large part of the feeling about the O-line was the build up to begin with.  We bought into the hype of how big and bad they were, but we had guys playing new positions, and we lost some experience.  It still doesn't stand out to me as the reason we lost those games early on.   

And who had the lowest red zone rush tds allowed for 2015?

Toledo with 8.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 05, 2016, 10:50:48 am
Even so that is not a huge difference. The passing game improved dramatically. Probably due to more than one reason.

The improved passing game was phenomenal. I don't remember which game it was but one of the analysts during the game said if you watch BA his play action moves look just like his handoff moves. Which makes it hard for the defense to know if it really is a run.

As much as we run, I hope his little brother was watching closely. Practice keeping the movement the same.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Razorbackers

The bigger issue was that Enos had spent his very limited time at Arkansas building an entirely new scheme that was designed to take advantage of all these awesme weapons, and then almost all of them got taken away due to injury within 2 or 3 weeks.

When we finally limped our way into a BYE week, Enos had time to fully restructure the offense for the remainder of the season, and build it around the weapons that we had, not the ones that we planned on having. We came out of the BYE week against Auburn, and the offense looked great, and in fact, it never sputtered again.

Pittman definitely phoned it in to a degree, but there were other factors at play that cost the Hogs big time. I can't imagine what this team could have done if they wouldn't have all broken their feet and arms. I also can't imagine how this board would be if they hadn't of broken their close game losing streak and lost those super tight games and didn't go bowling.

2015 was weird, man. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 04, 2016, 02:01:52 pm
I think the "in the middle" is the right call in this and most other debates.  Running into stacked boxes,  receivers going down with injury, OLine getting comfortable with one another, and a defense that had a tough time rushing the passer and a tough time covering downfield giving up too many yards and points.' Combine all of those things the first month of the season and 1-3 happens.  Like Coach Bielema says, "you deserve every win and every loss."
The team got what they deserved and hopefully learned their lesson. 

The weirdness of the first four games in my view...

Only 54 offensive plays against UTEP, just 34 rushes, many of them short gains.

Passing 53 times at home against Toledo and scoring no touchdowns by air.

Watching Texas Tech and aTm complete 48-59 for 673 yards and only four TDs.

Punting seven times in the first four games and feeling miserable.

Punting 15 times in the next two games (Tennessee, Alabama) and feeling good.

Thirteen possessions in the first three games crossed the 50 and ended with field goals or less.

The running game was not capable of executing all of its plays, and the backfield depth began inadequate and got worse with wear.

The passing game was not ready to take the chances necessary to score points. It had plenty of talent, but the coaches were too committed to balance and wasted too many downs. They put themselves into bad situations by leading with weakness, especially in the red zone. Blew too many red zone chances early by asking DOA plays to work.

The offense did not adjust fast enough to its situation. You can blame Texas Tech on the defense if you want. But the offense had three possessions in the second half. Spent 15 plays and most of the third quarter to get to the 5 and kick a field goal. Used nine plays and 5 minutes, missed a field goal. Fumbled on its last play.

Average starting field position in the first four games:

UTEP - own 44
Toledo - own 28
T-Tech - own 24
aTm - own 19

Holy crap! Funny thing - none of these opponents had a material field position advantage over the Hogs. Aggies had a modest one. In the three losses, both offenses faced a long field most of the time. Arkansas moved the ball and couldn't punch it in enough. Opponents scored more often but not wildly so.

The strategy of allowing spread passing teams to complete easy passes - was it the best we could do? Did it put the offense in the best position it could have gotten?

A lot was a'kilter. I really wish we could have seen those games with JWilliams and Hatcher healthy, so we could know what else was wrong. If anything.
[CENSORED]!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 05, 2016, 08:38:11 pm
The weirdness of the first four games in my view...

Only 54 offensive plays against UTEP, just 34 rushes, many of them short gains.

Passing 53 times at home against Toledo and scoring no touchdowns by air.

Watching Texas Tech and aTm complete 48-59 for 673 yards and only four TDs.

Punting seven times in the first four games and feeling miserable.

Punting 15 times in the next two games (Tennessee, Alabama) and feeling good.

Thirteen possessions in the first three games crossed the 50 and ended with field goals or less.

The running game was not capable of executing all of its plays, and the backfield depth began inadequate and got worse with wear.

The passing game was not ready to take the chances necessary to score points. It had plenty of talent, but the coaches were too committed to balance and wasted too many downs. They put themselves into bad situations by leading with weakness, especially in the red zone. Blew too many red zone chances early by asking DOA plays to work.

The offense did not adjust fast enough to its situation. You can blame Texas Tech on the defense if you want. But the offense had three possessions in the second half. Spent 15 plays and most of the third quarter to get to the 5 and kick a field goal. Used nine plays and 5 minutes, missed a field goal. Fumbled on its last play.

Average starting field position in the first four games:

UTEP - own 44
Toledo - own 28
T-Tech - own 24
aTm - own 19

Holy crap! Funny thing - none of these opponents had a material field position advantage over the Hogs. Aggies had a modest one. In the three losses, both offenses faced a long field most of the time. Arkansas moved the ball and couldn't punch it in enough. Opponents scored more often but not wildly so.

The strategy of allowing spread passing teams to complete easy passes - was it the best we could do? Did it put the offense in the best position it could have gotten?

A lot was a'kilter. I really wish we could have seen those games with JWilliams and Hatcher healthy, so we could know what else was wrong. If anything.

It was a weird first month for sure.  Even at the Toledo game, we took our seats at WMS, watched warm ups, the opening kickoff, and my wife told me, "something just doesn't feel right today".  That's not an anti WMS statement, it was just an odd feeling day.  Like I posted earlier, you get what you deserve.  The game is three phases, offense, defense, and special teams.  The Hogs found ways to hurt themselves with all three last year.  Hopefully they will hit the ground running this year.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Pittman's idea of stopping a stunt is welding the doors shut on the Volkswagen so the dozen evil clown midgets can't get out.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: OTR on July 06, 2016, 05:02:16 pm
Pittman's idea of stopping a stunt is welding the doors shut on the Volkswagen so the dozen evil clown midgets can't get out.

One of your best.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: OTR on July 06, 2016, 05:02:16 pm
I'm beginning to think that you don't care much for this Pittman feller.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 06, 2016, 05:25:25 pm
One of your best.

I thought yesterday's was better....Pittman's idea of stopping a stunt is throwing the keys to someone handcuffed in a tank of water.