Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential for a perfect storm this year

Started by gchamblee, July 01, 2016, 08:14:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

If we have an exceptional year this year, winning a game or 2 as underdogs and winning all of the games we are favored in, we could get a New Years day bowl or better. If that happens, coupled with the release of the movie Greater in late August, which will give our field and facilities a bit of a magical feeling for the 2017/2018 recruits that visit, we could have some really great recruiting classes in front of us.

There is a chance that Greater could be one of those feel good movies that people just watch every time it is on, like Remember The Titans and Radio. If this does happen, when recruits come to visit it will all seem familiar to them. It will be something bigger than a football stadium or a team. This may not happen, but it is certainly interesting to ponder. We have great possibilities in front of us, and I feel that we are in a good position to take advantage of it with a good season this year.

Hope your right, but I suspect Greater comes and goes without making a blip on the radar outside the state's borders.

gchamblee

Quote from: Karma on July 01, 2016, 08:53:53 am
Hope your right, but I suspect Greater comes and goes without making a blip on the radar outside the state's borders.

That's very possible, but a couple of the actors had prominent roles in the tv series Justified, which was pretty popular in the south.

Hawgar The Horrible

Doubtful. The limited release was postponed due to widespread demand.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Michael D Huff AIA

The fact remains that small budget overtly religious films don't do well at the box office.  Sometimes large budget religious films don't do well vs. their budgets.  It's just the way it is. 

Also, by the trailer it looks like there wasn't much thought about what our stadium looked like when he played there.  Good films have an attention to detail. 

A perfect storm for our football team would be to win ALL the games we are 'supposed' to win, and most of the SEC games on our home schedule.  That home SEC schedule is a beast. 

longpig

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2016, 09:07:04 am
That's very possible, but a couple of the actors had prominent roles in the tv series Justified, which was pretty popular in the south.

Greater doesn't have near the star studded cast that The Blind Side had or a Cameo appearance from Nick Saban. And   unfortunately, Brandon Burlsworth didn't get a chance to become the familiar success story that Oher did. Like said, it'll most likely only be big with Razorback football fans.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on July 01, 2016, 10:36:59 am
The fact remains that small budget overtly religious films don't do well at the box office.  Sometimes large budget religious films don't do well vs. their budgets.  It's just the way it is. 

Also, by the trailer it looks like there wasn't much thought about what our stadium looked like when he played there.  Good films have an attention to detail. 

A perfect storm for our football team would be to win ALL the games we are 'supposed' to win, and most of the SEC games on our home schedule.  That home SEC schedule is a beast.

Yep, it'll most likely do better at putting a$$e$ in pews than it will blue chips in cardinal and white.

gchamblee

Quote from: longpig on July 01, 2016, 12:35:55 pm
Yep, it'll most likely do better at putting a$$e$ in pews than it will blue chips in cardinal and white.

So it's a religious film? All I have seen is the trailer, but I guess a trailer can make anything look good.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: gchamblee on July 01, 2016, 12:48:46 pm
So it's a religious film? All I have seen is the trailer, but I guess a trailer can make anything look good.

Nope
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

3kgthog

Well, we almost won the SEC the year 22 Straight came to DVD. We Fished defeat from the jaws of victory and finished the season with a loss to our current coach. Freaky?

B-list actors, Lifetime movie quality production, and program inaccuracies be darned! We're going to Atlanta!

ChitownHawg

July 04, 2016, 07:26:59 am #10 Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:14:56 am by ChitownHawg

I think you are right. Titans had Denzel and Disney for the buzz.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

nchogg

Lets just wait and see. As far as detail look at many of the box office hits and the lack of detail and reality almost all of them have. Many people like sports films. I hope it does well.

rhames

Quote from: nchogg on July 04, 2016, 08:03:27 am
Lets just wait and see. As far as detail look at many of the box office hits and the lack of detail and reality almost all of them have. Many people like sports films. I hope it does well.

The movie is a low budget made for tv movie getting a limited release. To expect anymore than it making a few thousand,  yes thousand, at the box office is unfair and unrealistic.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PonderinHog

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on July 01, 2016, 10:36:59 am

And just what leads you to believe it is a religious film??? I have seen no indication of that being true.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

kp72204

gchamblee

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2016, 12:58:41 pm
And just what leads you to believe it is a religious film??? I have seen no indication of that being true.

How could you miss it?  Oh wait, you're GuvHog.

HogMantheIntruder

I'm not saying that we won't have a great season in 2016, but that movie will have ZERO effect on it.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

GuvHog

Quote from: longpig on July 05, 2016, 03:51:49 pm
How could you miss it?  Oh wait, you're GuvHog.

I didn't. It isn't a religious movie.

Now "Facing The Giants" is indeed a religious football movie and a good one too. It isn't just a TV movie either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

KevinOMReb

I'll be watching Greater.  My daughter had several bit parts as a Harrison cheerleader!
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

gchamblee

Quote from: Poppa Tart on July 05, 2016, 05:20:35 pm
I'm not saying that we won't have a great season in 2016, but that movie will have ZERO effect on it.

Nobody in this thread said the movie would or could have an effect on our football season. Do you actually read what people post, or speed read only hitting every 7th word?

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: GuvHog on July 05, 2016, 06:54:45 pm
I didn't. It isn't a religious movie.

Now "Facing The Giants" is indeed a religious football movie and a good one too. It isn't just a TV movie either.

In the trailer alone there is a scene from a bible study, a baptism in a river near a bridge, (I'm assuming it's Burlsworth) a guy praying in the moonlight/streetlight, an antagonistic voice challenging Burlsworth's brother on his beliefs that "God would make everything turn out for the best.  Did everything turn out for the best, Marty?", Burlsworth telling his brother Marty to "have faith", and a couple praying over a person in a hospital bed center frame. 

All of this in a 150 second trailer. 

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with any of the above.  Traditionally the public does, though. 

I looked up "Greater Productions LLC", the production house for the film, and they're located at 509 Spring St. Suite 310, Fayetteville, AR.

"Greater Productions LLC is a small, fairly new organization in the motion picture and video production companies industry located in Fayetteville, AR. It opened its doors in 2013 and now has an estimated $160,000 in yearly revenue and approximately 3 employees."

This screams low budget.  It might not see 100 screens.