Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Classic Football Series

Started by jchill, June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawghiggs

I like the idea of Arkansas and Arkansas state playing a football game. I'd rather see that then the Hogs play a FCS team. I also wouldn't mind a preseason basketball tournament between Arkansas, Astate, UALR, and UCA.

SamBuckhart

Someone could design a trophy small enough to give to each player on the winning team. We could call it the COTTON BALE CLASSIC.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

yraciv

To be fair he technically said "would not be nice"

DLUXHOG

Someone please explain just one, tangible beneifit that the Hogs would get out of this?    Just one.
Better national recruiting?    No..
More income to program bottom line?   No..
More exposure on a national level?   No..
More prestige?   No...

What have I missed.... 
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: SamBuckhart on June 29, 2016, 11:55:58 am
Someone could design a trophy small enough to give to each player on the winning team. We could call it the COTTON BALE CLASSIC.

Probably be about as much interest in the game as growing cotton in Arkansas these days.

phadedhawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 29, 2016, 12:41:48 pm
Someone please explain just one, tangible beneifit that the Hogs would get out of this?    Just one.
More prestige?   No...

What have I missed.... 

I agree!!  If Arkansas State was on the level of Texas State/La Tech/Alcorn State the "play ASUers" might have a point but our schedule it loaded with blockbuster, meaningful games of national importance.  There's just no room for a school like ASU.

Plus, like another poster mentioned...what if we lost!?!?  Maybe we shouldn't schedule any teams.  Yeah we'd miss out on ticket sales but we would never lose!!!!

It's just math really...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: phadedhawg on June 29, 2016, 03:43:20 pm
I agree!!  If Arkansas State was on the level of Texas State/La Tech/Alcorn State the "play ASUers" might have a point but our schedule it loaded with blockbuster, meaningful games of national importance.  There's just no room for a school like ASU.

Plus, like another poster mentioned...what if we lost!?!?  Maybe we shouldn't schedule any teams.  Yeah we'd miss out on ticket sales but we would never lose!!!!

It's just math really...

Why did you quote himif you did not intend address his post?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

010HogFan

So tired of this conversation that it's getting to the point that I wish we would just play them one year, put 70 on the scoreboard, and see if they want to play any more.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 010HogFan on June 29, 2016, 04:26:42 pm
So tired of this conversation that it's getting to the point that I wish we would just play them one year, put 70 on the scoreboard, and see if they want to play any more.

They would. And then you are dealing from a new precedent.

I don't reward whining children either...

GoHogs1091

May not be a good idea after UCA's Head Coach, Steve Campbell, gets his line-of-scrimmages (both the OL and DL) built up the way he wants them.

Campbell is getting there with his Offensive Line.  His UCA starting OL has the potential of being the following this season.

LT:  Wood   6'6"   (started every game, 18 games, in JUCO)
LG:  Tachie   6'4"   (a USA Today All-American in High School in Texas)
C:     Cook   6'4"   (over 100 knockdown blocks in High School in 2012 and 2013)
RG:  Jones   6'5"   (a Max Emfinger All-American Offensive Lineman in High School in 2014)
RT:  Chastain   6'6"

Campbell still has some work to do regarding his Defensive Line, but he is making progress.

Hawghiggs

More prestige?   No...

What have I missed.... 

You do realize that this is the same thing that Oklahoma says about the UofA. I've never understood this mentality.  Playing A-state really isn't that big of deal. But Frank Broyles made it out to be. What should have been done is actually play them. By now the win/loss record would have been staggering in favor of the UofA. It actually might be to the point that A-state wouldn't want to schedule that game anymore.  Instead the UofA refuses to play. Which is just chicken poop.

deedster84

Who outside the state of Arkansas would be interested in these games. Gotta have enough interest to get TV revenue.  Keep the money in state? Isn't it better if schools like ASU and UCA play big payday games outside of state and bring that money here.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: deedster84 on June 29, 2016, 11:36:44 pm
Who outside the state of Arkansas would be interested in these games. Gotta have enough interest to get TV revenue.  Keep the money in state? Isn't it better if schools like ASU and UCA play big payday games outside of state and bring that money here.

I guess it would be the same people who watch Alabama play Troy or Oklahoma play Tulsa.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am
I just read an article if Arkansas played ASU and had a thought. Wouldn't be nice to have a Arkansas Football Classic Series. It would be held on the first two weekends of the season in Little Rock. The perennial teams would be Arkansas, ASU, and UCA. An at-large team like UAM, HSU, etc. would be rotated in. The teams would be seeded with the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 on the first weekend and the second weekend would be the championship game. It would be a good way to keep the money in the state and help the state schools and also be good be for Little Rock businesses. I think it is ridiculous that Arkansas will not play the other state schools, but pay and play schools like UTEP.

Who wrote the article you are referring to? Geez. SMH
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 29, 2016, 10:43:18 pm
You do realize that this is the same thing that Oklahoma says about the UofA. I've never understood this mentality.  Playing A-state really isn't that big of deal. But Frank Broyles made it out to be. What should have been done is actually play them. By now the win/loss record would have been staggering in favor of the UofA. It actually might be to the point that A-state wouldn't want to schedule that game anymore.  Instead the UofA refuses to play. Which is just chicken poop.

Who says they want to schedule the game, 5 of their fans? Also, link on the Oklahoma stance, please.

DLUXHOG

No, that's not the way OU thinks.   I guess I didn't miss any tangible benefits that would come to the Hogs....

KlubhouseKonnected

And you think this is a winning argument?  More importantly, you do realize that you failed to address his question, right?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 30, 2016, 05:48:42 am
I guess it would be the same people who watch Alabama play Troy or Oklahoma play Tulsa.

Why would Alabama and Oklahoma fans want to watch Arkansas State play UCA?

GuvHog

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am
I just read an article if Arkansas played ASU and had a thought. Wouldn't be nice to have a Arkansas Football Classic Series. It would be held on the first two weekends of the season in Little Rock. The perennial teams would be Arkansas, ASU, and UCA. An at-large team like UAM, HSU, etc. would be rotated in. The teams would be seeded with the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 on the first weekend and the second weekend would be the championship game. It would be a good way to keep the money in the state and help the state schools and also be good be for Little Rock businesses. I think it is ridiculous that Arkansas will not play the other state schools, but pay and play schools like UTEP.

I like your enthusiasm but I disagree with what you propose. Asking the Hogs to play 2 weekends in a row at WMS will never fly, it just ain't happening. Now a Governor's Cup Classic one Saturday per football season at WMS rotating 3 schools (UA, ASU, and UCA) with all of the proceeds going to Arkansas Childrens Hospital would make more sense since the U of A already plays one non conference game there each season anyway. However, I doubt the U of A would agree to such a proposal.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

More prestige?   No...

What have I missed.... 

The only thing the U of A would gain by playing either ASU or UCA in WMS is some good in state PR, that's all.

010HogFan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 29, 2016, 09:29:42 pm
They would. And then you are dealing from a new precedent.

I don't reward whining children either...

this is true.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 09:02:34 am
The only thing the U of A would gain by playing either ASU or UCA in WMS is some good in state PR, that's all.

Which they already have a surplus of.

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 30, 2016, 09:36:08 am
Which they already have a surplus of.

They do get a good amount but calling it a surplus is a bit much.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2016, 06:52:42 am
Who says they want to schedule the game, 5 of their fans? Also, link on the Oklahoma stance, please.
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?104575-OU-Arkansas-possible-in-the-future

Read the whole thread.  It's the exact same rhetoric you will find on this board about Arkansas state.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 30, 2016, 07:38:50 am
And you think this is a winning argument?  More importantly, you do realize that you failed to address his question, right?

Wasn't trying to answer the questions.  By those questions we should never play anyone outside of the Power 5.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 30, 2016, 04:23:01 pm
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?104575-OU-Arkansas-possible-in-the-future

Read the whole thread.  It's the exact same rhetoric you will find on this board about Arkansas state.

Umm, some wanted it, some didn't, is that what you're saying? If you can't see the difference between a P5 and a G5, then I can't help you.

RME

As they should. To repeat almost everyone else on this board, it benefits Arkansas in no way whatsoever.

My high school's wrestling team went to a meet one time, and one of the smaller guys had to wrestle a girl. He lost. We went to an all guys school. You can imagine the BS he caught for that. (Sorry if you're reading this and you know who you are)

Arkansas playing stAte is like that guy wrestling the girl. If you win, big deal, you beat a girl. If you lose...dude, you just lost to a girl.

No benefit in the game whatsoever.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2016, 09:02:34 am

Good PR in a very small state.....   Don't see that as a positive....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 30, 2016, 04:23:01 pm

Look, ASU doesn't want to play a game at WMS because of the financial loss.
Games in LR are a thing of the past. In any Ark-ASU scenario, the UofA is ALWAYS the school making the financial sacrifice. Saying you'll give the money to ACH is just a ploy to tug at people's heartstrings. You've never once heard ASU volunteering to donate their gate proceeds to anyone else. Give it a rest, okay?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2016, 04:30:21 pm
Umm, some wanted it, some didn't, is that what you're saying? If you can't see the difference between a P5 and a G5, then I can't help you.
Do you understand it? At no point should the UofA be afraid to play A-state. They are a G-5 conference member.  As a matter of fact. They play in the lowest of the G-5 conferences. Not playing this game is foolish.  The UofA has nothing to lose. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on June 30, 2016, 07:58:51 pm
Look, ASU doesn't want to play a game at WMS because of the financial loss.
Games in LR are a thing of the past. In any Ark-ASU scenario, the UofA is ALWAYS the school making the financial sacrifice. Saying you'll give the money to ACH is just a ploy to tug at people's heartstrings. You've never once heard ASU volunteering to donate their gate proceeds to anyone else. Give it a rest, okay?

Don't try and put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything about donating money or the like.  I'm just pointing out that its foolish for not scheduling them anywhere.  Hell, schedule them at RRS for all I care. That's not the point I'm trying to make.

PorkSoda

Someone please explain just one, tangible detriment that the Hogs would get out of this?    Just one.
less national recruiting?    No..
less income to program bottom line?   No..
less exposure on a national level?   No..
less prestige?   No...

What have I missed.... 
FIFY
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 30, 2016, 04:26:09 pm
Wasn't trying to answer the questions.  By those questions we should never play anyone outside of the Power 5.

They aren't applicable

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 30, 2016, 09:46:58 pm
FIFY

Playing mid-majors and leaders don't come with built in negatives. What is the built in negative with Astate? Creating an in-state distraction, or at least so the university has deemed. Therefore, you pro-ASU folk need to come up with a good reason for them to decide to ignore that perceived negative.

So far all you guys can do is say that ASU is as good of a program as other middling programs that get scheduled.

Obviously that doesn't matter. So try again.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on June 30, 2016, 09:41:36 pm
Do you understand it? At no point should the UofA be afraid to play A-state. They are a G-5 conference member.  As a matter of fact. They play in the lowest of the G-5 conferences. Not playing this game is foolish.  The UofA has nothing to lose. 

Do you understand it, they have nothing to gain, either. It has nothing to do with being afraid, why would they be? It offers the UofA nothing.

RME

Please refer to my previous post.

(notOM)Rebel123

Would you please explain what the UofA stands to gain by playing ASU?
I'll hang up & listen.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 30, 2016, 11:25:03 pm
Please refer to my previous post.

If the UofA lost by 200 points.  It still would not matter and that's the point. The UofA would still wake up the next day and be in the SEC. They would still cash those SEC paychecks. They would still go to SEC contracted bowl games. Nothing would change.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2016, 07:20:29 am
Would you please explain what the UofA stands to gain by playing ASU?
I'll hang up & listen.

About the same as playing Tulsa maybe a little more. The Razorbacks would never play football at either opponents stadium. Because both venues are to small. But could probably a higher price for tickets.  The UofA would save money in women's sports and might actually increase ticket sales for those sports.

Hawgzinbowlz

Give me Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss and Florida in DWRRS...

The proposed Arkansas Classic Football Series, generously calculated, moves the needle to less than 0...

Slow time of year so this is the Stuff we get.

" GO HOGS "

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 01, 2016, 05:04:15 pm
If the UofA lost by 200 points.  It still would not matter and that's the point. The UofA would still wake up the next day and be in the SEC. They would still cash those SEC paychecks. They would still go to SEC contracted bowl games. Nothing would change.

So you have no answer...

Just say so

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 01, 2016, 05:14:58 pm
About the same as playing Tulsa maybe a little more. The Razorbacks would never play football at either opponents stadium. Because both venues are to small. But could probably a higher price for tickets.  The UofA would save money in women's sports and might actually increase ticket sales for those sports.

So the argument is now that Arkansas should play Astate in women's sports? That's the best one yet I guess..

DLUXHOG

That is a loser mentality... fact is, the UofA has nothing to gain.... nothing,... nadda....

PorkSoda

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 01, 2016, 10:54:54 pm
That is a loser mentality... fact is, the UofA has nothing to gain.... nothing,... nadda....
whats funny, is you are right the game is completely irrelevant, but by saying the UofA will never play ASU broyles made it relevant.  he essentially accomplished the opposite of what he was trying to do.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 01, 2016, 11:48:01 pm
whats funny, is you are right the game is completely irrelevant, but by saying the UofA will never play ASU broyles made it relevant.  he essentially accomplished the opposite of what he was trying to do.

Exactly.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 01, 2016, 09:00:30 pm
So you have no answer...

Just say so

I have the only answer possible. A-state vs Arkansas is an irrelevant game. That was made relevant by not playing it.  Anyone can point to several number of games each year that the UofA has no benefit from playing. At least this game would generate interest  for a rent-a-win game.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 02, 2016, 05:58:42 am
I have the only answer possible. A-state vs Arkansas is an irrelevant game. That was made relevant by not playing it.  Anyone can point to several number of games each year that the UofA has no benefit from playing. At least this game would generate interest  for a rent-a-win game.

So, ASU would come to Fayetteville for what we're paying Alcorn St?

Inhogswetrust

Interest from people that care more about who we play than when we play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 01, 2016, 11:48:01 pm

When was the last time the Hogs signed a highly touted HS football player from NEA??

I know they've lost some since Frank shot his mouth off and made that statement.

KlubhouseKonnected

So the benefit is a small number of people like you want to see it ONLY because you have been told you never will?

MMMKAY. Good luck selling that.