Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Classic Football Series

Started by jchill, June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2016, 06:52:47 am
So, ASU would come to Fayetteville for what we're paying Alcorn St?

Ha
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2016, 06:52:47 am
So, ASU would come to Fayetteville for what we're paying Alcorn St?

I guess it depends on how much we pay Alcorn state. But I do think that it would be reasonable to pay them as much as LaTech or Toledo.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 02, 2016, 10:05:00 am
So the benefit is a small number of people like you want to see it ONLY because you have been told you never will?

MMMKAY. Good luck selling that.

If you call everyone that has been a fan of either program a small number.  I don't have to sell the game. It sells itself. or at least it will the first few times its played.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 02, 2016, 11:24:41 am
If you call everyone that has been a fan of either program a small number.  I don't have to sell the game. It sells itself. or at least it will the first few times its played.

Wouldn't you think that if the "fans" wanted this in large numbers, it would happen? I think you'll find it's not that big of a desire as you think/wish.

TechDawg-Hawg

I don't see the harm in playing them. LSU is playing LATech in 2018. Texas schools play smaller Texas schools.

So you lose to Arkansas State once? Ok. You think it'll take away recruiting opportunities in-state any more than losing to LATech would kill your Louisiana recruiting?

For the record, I don't care if they do or not. I just don't see how it'd hurt any more than losing ULM.

ricepig

Quote from: TechDawg-Hawg on July 02, 2016, 11:45:38 am
I don't see the harm in playing them. LSU is playing LATech in 2018. Texas schools play smaller Texas schools.

So you lose to Arkansas State once? Ok. You think it'll take away recruiting opportunities in-state any more than losing to LATech would kill your Louisiana recruiting?

For the record, I don't care if they do or not. I just don't see how it'd hurt any more than losing ULM.

You don't make dual fans make a choice, something you might understand?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 02, 2016, 11:18:56 am
I guess it depends on how much we pay Alcorn state. But I do think that it would be reasonable to pay them as much as LaTech or Toledo.

Nupe. They should be a discount.

KlubhouseKonnected

You are wrong, but you always have been and that has not stopped you yet so tell me more.

TechDawg-Hawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2016, 12:16:36 pm
You don't make dual fans make a choice, something you might understand?

I can see that, It may be more relevant in north Arkansas than south. At least where I live, the only people who seem to keep up with A-State are the ones that attended or have kids that attend A-State.

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 02, 2016, 01:27:49 pm
You are wrong, but you always have been and that has not stopped you yet so tell me more.

Seriously?? For that one ASU-UofA game every year, they would sell out WMS even if it seated 80,000
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

k.c.hawg

There is after hours place around here that has a late night dice game. There's this rich guy and he will roll dice against some of the have not's that frequent the game. The rich guy puts up $100,000 a roll against 3 guys and they put up $100. The rich guy feels like he's obligated because they all shoot dice at the same place. It is really cool when the rich guy looses $100k. All the people gathered around the table have so much fun and you just won't believe how happy it makes those guys that only put up a $100. I mean WTH the rich guy would kind of be a chicken #### if he didn't do it.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

ricepig

Quote from: TechDawg-Hawg on July 02, 2016, 01:51:01 pm
I can see that, It may be more relevant in north Arkansas than south. At least where I live, the only people who seem to keep up with A-State are the ones that attended or have kids that attend A-State.

I live in Jonesboro, lots of dual fans, and some that don't care at all about the other, haha.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: TechDawg-Hawg on July 02, 2016, 01:51:01 pm

This still would not benefit the Hogs in any way, by astronomical light years.... not one benefit for the Hogs....   
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

26.2Hog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on July 02, 2016, 02:19:29 pm
There is after hours place around here that has a late night dice game. There's this rich guy and he will roll dice against some of the have not's that frequent the game. The rich guy puts up $100,000 a roll against 3 guys and they put up $100. The rich guy feels like he's obligated because they all shoot dice at the same place. It is really cool when the rich guy looses $100k. All the people gathered around the table have so much fun and you just won't believe how happy it makes those guys that only put up a $100. I mean WTH the rich guy would kind of be a chicken #### if he didn't do it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2016, 02:07:58 pm
Seriously?? For that one ASU-UofA game every year, they would sell out WMS even if it seated 80,000

You are kidding yourself again.

KlubhouseKonnected

Apt.

DLUXHOG

truly "rich" guys don't shoot dice in little pool halls..  if they're really rich, they fly to Vegas and get into a high stakes blackjack or poker game.   I know several millionaires and none of them gamble at all as they get their jollies by "gambling" in business..... regardless, none of them would be into the type of charitable behavior you have stated just to make a little guy feel good........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 02, 2016, 04:35:25 pm
truly "rich" guys don't shoot dice in little pool halls..  if they're really rich, they fly to Vegas and get into a high stakes blackjack or poker game.   I know several millionaires and none of them gamble at all as they get their jollies by "gambling" in business..... regardless, none of them would be into the type of charitable behavior you have stated just to make a little guy feel good........

So you get it? I can't tell

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 02, 2016, 04:14:02 pm
You are kidding yourself again.

Not at all. That game would draw the usual 50,000 or so Hog fans that normally attend games in WMS plus around 30,000 ASU fans. It would draw a lot more ASU fans than the Red Wolfs home games usually draw. To them, that would be THE game.

26.2Hog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 02, 2016, 04:35:25 pm

Exactly.  And that is precisely the point k.c.hawg was making about the crazy idea of playing asu-j.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

This is just a bad, bad idea. UCA would probably whip everyone. JUST JOKING, but they are getting better and better at the FCS level as coach Campbell brings in his style of recruits. Their O-line will be huge this year also.

Inhogswetrust

July 03, 2016, 07:44:49 am #121 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:34:27 pm by Inhogswetrust

I'm a Denver Bronco's and Hog fan.............That doesn't mean I have a burning desire that they play each other. If every fan got their wish that all their favorite teams played each other then there would have to be a game ever night of the week fifty two weeks a year and still some wouldn't have played each other............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

July 03, 2016, 07:53:53 am #122 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:17:13 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2016, 06:21:54 pm
Not at all. That game would draw the usual 50,000 or so Hog fans that normally attend games in WMS plus around 30,000 ASU fans. It would draw a lot more ASU fans than the Red Wolfs home games usually draw. To them, that would be THE game.

No it wouldn't. Many years ago my Dad took me to a ASU game played at LR when they were highly rated in their old classification and I believe undefeated at the time and the team they were playing was suppose to be fairly good as well. It was highly advertised in Central Arkansas and my Dad wanted to see what all the fuss was about. They couldn't give the tickets away. I bet there wasn't 20,000 people there.

Here is a list from I think 2006 of all the games that ASU has played in WMS: I got it from their website the year they were playing Oklahoma State there.

THE ROCK CLASSIC:  Arkansas State returns to War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock for the first time since 2003 when it plays Oklahoma State this Saturday.  The last time the Indians "hosted" a game in the state capitol, ASU faced Louisiana-Monroe.  ASU's games played at War Memorial Stadium have been branded "The Rock Classic" and there is a trophy that lists the scores from each previous ASU game at the stadium.  The Indians are 7-5 all-time at War Memorial Stadium after breaking a three-game skid at the stadium with its 44-41 victory over ULM in 2003.  Following is a list of "The Rock Classic" games:
1967, ASU vs. The Citadel (L, 7-20)
1968, ASU vs. Trinity (W, 31-14)
1969, ASU vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (W, 26-0)
1970, ASU vs. The Citadel (W, 24-7)
1971, ASU vs. Abilene Christian (W, 35-9)
1972, ASU vs. Louisiana Tech (L, 17-38)
1973, ASU vs. Xavier (W, 37-0)
1975, ASU vs. Southern Illinois (W, 35-12)
1978, ASU vs. Southern Miss (L, 6-21)
1983, ASU vs. North Texas (L, 0-17)
2002, ASU vs. San Jose St. (L, 14-33)
2003, ASU vs. Louisiana-Monroe (W, 44-41)

The one we attended I think was LT. I remember they lost. NOW with their stadium in Jonesboro being much nicer and actually better than WMS there is no reason for them to travel and pay rent to play a home game even if it is a higher rated opponent. There recent game with Mizzou is an example of that. IF what few ASU fans another parts of the state besides NE Arkansas can't drive a few hours to campus for games then there is a problem. Sounds familiar huh.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 07:53:53 am
No it wouldn't. Many years ago my Dad took me to a ASU game played at LR when they were highly rated in their old classification and I believe undefeated at the time and the team they were playing was suppose to be fairly good as well. It was highly advertised in Central Arkansas and my Dad wanted to see what all the fuss was about. They couldn't give the tickets away. I bet there wasn't 20,000 people there.

This isn't your Dad's ASU, lol. I'm far from a supporter of theirs, but they'd have 25,000+ easily.

Inhogswetrust

July 03, 2016, 08:17:40 am #124 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:33:22 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:08:28 am
This isn't your Dad's ASU, lol. I'm far from a supporter of theirs, but they'd have 25,000+ easily.

I agree. Maybe I was hasty and they might have 30,000 only because it was the Hogs. BUT that a very highly rated ASU squad for their level at the time to their credit. They would draw that now ONLY because of the opponent. What was their attendance IN Jonesboro for the Mizzou game recently. When I managed a hotel in Jonesboro up until a few years ago we NEVER filled up for a home game and few hotels did.

P.S. ASU still needs a lot of work on other sports facilities. They have done very nice job with their football facilities lately and are to be commended for that. But if they want to play with the big boys they need to do so for all of them.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 07:53:53 am

Here is a list from I think 2006 of all the games that ASU has played in WMS: I got it from their website the year they were playing Oklahoma State there.

THE ROCK CLASSIC:  Arkansas State returns to War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock for the first time since 2003 when it plays Oklahoma State this Saturday.  The last time the Indians “hosted” a game in the state capitol, ASU faced Louisiana-Monroe.  ASU’s games played at War Memorial Stadium have been branded “The Rock Classic” and there is a trophy that lists the scores from each previous ASU game at the stadium.  The Indians are 7-5 all-time at War Memorial Stadium after breaking a three-game skid at the stadium with its 44-41 victory over ULM in 2003.  Following is a list of “The Rock Classic” games:
1967, ASU vs. The Citadel (L, 7-20)
1968, ASU vs. Trinity (W, 31-14)
1969, ASU vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (W, 26-0)
1970, ASU vs. The Citadel (W, 24-7)
1971, ASU vs. Abilene Christian (W, 35-9)
1972, ASU vs. Louisiana Tech (L, 17-38)
1973, ASU vs. Xavier (W, 37-0)
1975, ASU vs. Southern Illinois (W, 35-12)
1978, ASU vs. Southern Miss (L, 6-21)
1983, ASU vs. North Texas (L, 0-17)
2002, ASU vs. San Jose St. (L, 14-33)
2003, ASU vs. Louisiana-Monroe (W, 44-41)

The one we attended I think was LT. I remember they lost. NOW with their stadium in Jonesboro being much nicer and actually better than WMS there is no reason for them to travel and pay rent to play a home game even if it is a higher rated opponent. There recent game with Mizzou is an example of that. IF what few ASU fans another parts of the state besides NE Arkansas can't drive a few hours to campus for games then there is a problem. Sounds familiar huh.

I'm originally from up there and that stadium is not as nice as WMS. Comparing that list of games to a game against the U of A is just plain silly. I say again, to the ASU fans an ASU vs UofA game would be THE game on their schedule every year. They've been begging and pleading for that game for many years.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 08:17:40 am
I agree. BUT that as highly rated ASU squad to there credit. They would draw that ONLY because of the opponent. What was their attendance IN jonesboro for the Mizzou game recently.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2016, 08:22:56 am
I'm originally from up there and that stadium is not as nice as WMS. Comparing that list of games to a game against the U of A is just plain silly. I say again, to the ASU fans an ASU vs UofA game we be THE game on their schedule every year. They've been begging and pleading for that game for many years.

Have you been there lately. It IS nicer than WMS now. When is the last time you were in it? They also have a really nice new indoor facility also. Met comparing them then to now for those games was because of the attendance figure you espouse. They would have a good crowd in WMS ONLY because of playing the Hogs. Yes they begged and pleaded for that game for years and IFR a school has to beg and plead then that says a LOT about it.

All that being said they now don't have the second nicest basketball facility either. That belongs to UALR. ASU needs to continue to get better facilities throughout the program.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:23:46 am

So not even full for a close by SEC opponent.....................

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 08:24:11 am
Have you been there lately. It IS nicer than WMS now. They also have a really nice new indoor facility. Met comparing them then to now for those games was because of the attendance figure you espouse. They would have a good crowd in WMS ONLY because of playing the Hogs. Yes they begged and pleaded for that game for years and IFR a school has to beg and plead then that says a LOT about it.

They were about the same until the recent press box and club seating renovations. Both facilities have comical concessions and restrooms for stadiums their sizes, but I guess we don't go to the games to eat or whizz.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 08:28:04 am
So not even full for a close by SEC opponent.....................

Which isn't/wasn't the point, they'd have more for the Arkansas game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:30:19 am
They were about the same until the recent press box and club seating renovations. Both facilities have comical concessions and restrooms for stadiums their sizes, but I guess we don't go to the games to eat or whizz.

Correct but since those improvements Centennial is better. As well as the players areas also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:31:28 am

Agree but that number is telling. As Guv says they've always begged for the Hog game..........one doesn't have to wonder why...........

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 08:32:24 am
Correct but since those improvements Centennial is better. As well as the players areas also.

Well, the locker rooms in the current south end zone complex aren't anything to brag on, really not better than JHS'.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:35:38 am
Well, the locker rooms in the current south end zone complex aren't anything to brag on, really not better than JHS'.

WMS locker rooms are horrible.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:31:28 am

Do you think ASU would be satisfied with the same ticket allotment that Toledo or Alcorn St receives? Of course not. After a year or so of playing at RRS and receiving only a few thousand tickets, they'd whine for more tix. Then, they'd eventually beg to move the game to WMS & split the tix "50-50". Be careful letting the camel get his nose under the tent.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 03, 2016, 09:28:09 am
Do you think ASU would be satisfied with the same ticket allotment that Toledo or Alcorn St receives? Of course not. After a year or so of playing at RRS and receiving only a few thousand tickets, they'd whine for more tix. Then, they'd eventually beg to move the game to WMS & split the tix "50-50". Be careful letting the camel get his nose under the tent.

Oh, I fully understand the situation.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 09:09:53 am
WMS locker rooms are horrible.

When is the last time you were in any of them?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 09:36:13 am
Oh, I fully understand the situation.

Oh, I know you do...but I do wonder about some others. Ha!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2016, 06:21:54 pm

And in your mind, making ASU's fan base more active is a benefit to the Razorbacks?

Inhogswetrust

July 03, 2016, 12:12:44 pm #140 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:29:03 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 09:38:16 am
When is the last time you were in any of them?

I didn't have to. I've seen pictures. I also know some media people as well that says so. They all report on the Hogs. The opponents even have mentioned it a few times. Even some opponents that have played in both WMS and RRS have wondered why use WMS. That being said I've been in the new press box area and club seats but I don't remember if the locker rooms were also redone at that time or not but I don't remember reading they were.

Inhogswetrust

July 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm #141 Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:40:11 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 03, 2016, 10:33:19 am
And in your mind, making ASU's fan base more active is a benefit to the Razorbacks?

It is NOT the Hogs responsibility to increase the status of or benefit any other athletic program in the state.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 26, 2016, 12:19:18 pm
This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Worse than just Arkansas playing Arkansas State. Here are some reasons why this is dumb:

1. Taking away 2 home games from DWRRS revenue.
2. Would bring down our SOS worse than a D-1AA team...I saw you mentioned Michigan played App State several years ago. App State at the time was D-1AA. Henderson State, UAM, etc are DIVISION II. That would be a scrimmage for the Hogs.
3. No TV interest from any nationwide platform = no exposure and no money.
4. Does not help recruiting. We would lose 2 home games for recruiting. We can't host recruits at Little Rock games for official visits.
5. From the perspective of the Arkansas AD, does it make sense?  Jeff Long isn't in the business of promoting what's best for the educational achievement levels of the average Arkansan; his job is to do what's best for the athletic department at the University of Arkansas.  You have to look at this question from an incentive standpoint of the decision-makers. You can make all the "Good for the State" touchy-feely arguments you want, but the only argument that matters is what each school has to gain by agreeing to play the game. Arkansas has NOTHING to GAIN by playing Arkansas State.
6. How would playing in-state competition help Arkansas compete better on a national scale? It wouldn't...it's not like this is a Clemson vs. South Carolina or an Alabama vs. Auburn rivalry and it never would/will be.

I agree with all of these points, but other than that I think the Arkansas classic is a good idea.

Maybe someone could just do a video game simulation of those games.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 08:24:11 am
Have you been there lately. It IS nicer than WMS now. When is the last time you were in it? They also have a really nice new indoor facility also. Met comparing them then to now for those games was because of the attendance figure you espouse. They would have a good crowd in WMS ONLY because of playing the Hogs. Yes they begged and pleaded for that game for years and IFR a school has to beg and plead then that says a LOT about it.

All that being said they now don't have the second nicest basketball facility either. That belongs to UALR. ASU needs to continue to get better facilities throughout the program.

I go up to the Jonesboro area quite frequently as the wife and I both still have many relatives there. It's a nice stadium but it isn't as nice as WMS plus it has less capacity. We are both graduates of Greene County Tech High School which is a bit north of there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2016, 08:08:28 am

This won't be a popular suggestion and while Arkansas really has nothing to gain by aquiescing to the request, I say just do it and get it over with. At first at least, WMS should be filled to the brim. Should Arkansas beat ASU like a drum for years in a row, attendance will eventually dwindle despite it being big brother vs. little brother, except in the years that ASU fans feel overly confident going into the game.

Maybe this is somewhere on the horizon with Bielema agreeing to join a camp hosted by ASU...a little demonstration of in-state brotherhood.

In any case, ASU has everything to gain and nothing to lose, the reverse being true for Arkansas. But maybe it is time to just get this done and silence the ASU fans.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 03, 2016, 10:33:19 am

I didn't say that and I seriously doubt an ASU vs UofA game would accomplish that.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm
It is NOT the Hogs responsibility to increase the status of or benefit any other athletic program in the states.

Obviously.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm
It is NOT the Hogs responsibility to increase the status of or benefit any other athletic program in the states.

Now that I agree with.

They have however, done precisely that with at least 1 out of state small school.

oldhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2016, 12:41:49 pm

In any case, ASU has everything to gain and nothing to lose, the reverse being true for Arkansas. But maybe it is time to just get this done and silence the ASU fans.

Except it won't silence ASU fans.  The Red Wolves are capable of playing inspired football, losing by two or three touchdowns, and the howl for annual competition increases.

I like not playing Arkansas State because now I can also root for another team from Arkansas without dividing my loyalties.  Should this become an annual (or even periodic) competition, I would lose whatever sentiment I have for ASU being a successful program.  They would become just another game on the schedule against another no name directional school. 

GuvHog

Quote from: oldhawg on July 03, 2016, 01:24:40 pm
Except it won't silence ASU fans.  The Red Wolves are capable of playing inspired football, losing by two or three touchdowns, and the howl for annual competition increases.

I like not playing Arkansas State because now I can also root for another team from Arkansas without dividing my loyalties.  Should this become an annual (or even periodic) competition, I would lose whatever sentiment I have for ASU being a successful program.  They would become just another game on the schedule against another no name directional school. 

That's where you and I differ. If ASU and the U of A played an annual football game, I would ALWAYS be all Hogs for that game, no doubt about it, but I would still pull for ASU to win the rest of their games while continuing to be a solid Hog fan just as I always have been, first and foremost.