Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Classic Football Series

Started by jchill, June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jchill

I just read an article if Arkansas played ASU and had a thought. Wouldn't be nice to have a Arkansas Football Classic Series. It would be held on the first two weekends of the season in Little Rock. The perennial teams would be Arkansas, ASU, and UCA. An at-large team like UAM, HSU, etc. would be rotated in. The teams would be seeded with the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 on the first weekend and the second weekend would be the championship game. It would be a good way to keep the money in the state and help the state schools and also be good be for Little Rock businesses. I think it is ridiculous that Arkansas will not play the other state schools, but pay and play schools like UTEP.

Inhogswetrust

Good Grief. When will you people ever give up? Why don't you go to Britain and try to get a revote on Brexit or something...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JaketheSnake

You want UA to play Henderson State?  Cray cray

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 09:17:51 am
I just read an article if Arkansas played ASU and had a thought. Wouldn't be nice to have a Arkansas Football Classic Series. It would be held on the first two weekends of the season in Little Rock. The perennial teams would be Arkansas, ASU, and UCA. An at-large team like UAM, HSU, etc. would be rotated in. The teams would be seeded with the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 on the first weekend and the second weekend would be the championship game. It would be a good way to keep the money in the state and help the state schools and also be good be for Little Rock businesses. I think it is ridiculous that Arkansas will not play the other state schools, but pay and play schools like UTEP.
Please give it a rest 'cause it isn't happening.

ricepig

Keep money in the state..???....??? So, if you play outside the state, they don't let you bring the money back in? I wonder if Long and his budget guy's know this, we've included our $300,000 guarantee from TCU in this year's budget.

jchill

Quote from: ricepig on June 26, 2016, 10:07:22 am
Keep money in the state..???....??? So, if you play outside the state, they don't let you bring the money back in? I wonder if Long and his budget guy's know this, we've included our $300,000 guarantee from TCU in this year's budget.

LOL! LOL! LOL! Come on man!!!!!

jchill

Quote from: JaketheSnake on June 26, 2016, 09:39:52 am
You want UA to play Henderson State?  Cray cray

Michigan played App. State years ago and looked what happened.

jchill

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 26, 2016, 09:26:01 am
Good Grief. When will you people ever give up? Why don't you go to Britain and try to get a revote on Brexit or something...............................

You know, I like that idea. Do you invest in hedge funds? We can make a lot money together...lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 10:30:20 am
You know, I like that idea. Do you invest in hedge funds? We can make a lot money together...lol.
Problem is that a number of hedge funds, deemed by many as the sure fire way of making money, have been blowing up, shutting down and otherwise tanking. Sounds as about as good an idea as your Arkansas Classic Football Series. Weak, weak, weak...

greenie

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 10:30:20 am

Why would the UA, or even ASU, want to do this?  There is no benefit for either to play the likes of HSU, OBU, UCA, UAM, etc. on a regular basis.  National TV providers will not be interested in covering the games.  No money to be made.  Nothing for the UA to prove.  It won't help UA recruiting. 

ricepig

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 10:29:03 am

Michigan played App. State years ago and looked what happened.

Look what happened at what? App St was FCS at that time, what level is Henderson St?

ricepig

Quote from: jchill on June 26, 2016, 10:27:06 am

LOL! LOL! LOL! Come on man!!!!!

Come on what, it doesn't make any more money for the teams involved, in fact it cost them as they lose home games and have to pay to play at WMS. Shirley, you weren't serious?

Luke STYwalker

the only benefit would be to ASU!     They are not at our level, but would eventually win.  It is inevitable.   Why create a rival to have to recruit against.   It would be a dumb move on our part.       By not playing them, we keep them down.   It was a genious move years ago.

Rocket23

Henderson, UAM are NCAA Division II.  UCA is FCS.  UAPB is Division I.

woodhog14

June 26, 2016, 12:19:18 pm #14 Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:49:43 pm by woodhog14

This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Worse than just Arkansas playing Arkansas State. Here are some reasons why this is dumb:

1. Taking away 2 home games from DWRRS revenue.
2. Would bring down our SOS worse than a D-1AA team...I saw you mentioned Michigan played App State several years ago. App State at the time was D-1AA. Henderson State, UAM, etc are DIVISION II. That would be a scrimmage for the Hogs.
3. No TV interest from any nationwide platform = no exposure and no money.
4. Does not help recruiting. We would lose 2 home games for recruiting. We can't host recruits at Little Rock games for official visits.
5. From the perspective of the Arkansas AD, does it make sense?  Jeff Long isn't in the business of promoting what's best for the educational achievement levels of the average Arkansan; his job is to do what's best for the athletic department at the University of Arkansas.  You have to look at this question from an incentive standpoint of the decision-makers. You can make all the "Good for the State" touchy-feely arguments you want, but the only argument that matters is what each school has to gain by agreeing to play the game. Arkansas has NOTHING to GAIN by playing Arkansas State.
6. How would playing in-state competition help Arkansas compete better on a national scale? It wouldn't...it's not like this is a Clemson vs. South Carolina or an Alabama vs. Auburn rivalry and it never would/will be.

Vantage 8 dude

Someone obviously has WAY TOO MUCH time on his/her hands.

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 26, 2016, 12:59:58 pm
Someone obviously has WAY TOO MUCH time on his/her hands.

At first I thought he was just yankin' our chain......but apparently not.

k.c.hawg

I knew they were closing a lot of mental health facilities and I had suspected it was impacting threads on Hogville. Now I'm certain.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rickfahr

The OP just thought this up? I've been writing about this for a decade. My plan was to have four schools (always UA, ASU and UCA) play two games on opening weekend or whenever, rotate some of the smaller state schools in. Play the games at War Memorial and give the proceeds to Children's Hospital.

ricepig

Quote from: rickfahr on June 26, 2016, 04:42:13 pm
The OP just thought this up? I've been writing about this for a decade. My plan was to have four schools (always UA, ASU and UCA) play two games on opening weekend or whenever, rotate some of the smaller state schools in. Play the games at War Memorial and give the proceeds to Children's Hospital.

I guess it hasn't gotten much traction in the last decade.........

dagnamit

Maybe the Red Wolves would pay the Hogs for the game. Easy win

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 26, 2016, 04:43:51 pm
I guess it hasn't gotten much traction in the last decade.........

But it has given a lot of people some strong belly laughs, which is supposed to be good for your health.  So there's that.

Ben

Wrong place to voice any thought on playing instate teams. Lol you know the users on here are stuck in an old, outdated mindset. Much like the state of Arkansas in general. Alot of them still worship broyles without thinking for themselves, really convincing themselves that ASU would harm the Hogs by simply playing, but hypocritically will downplay ASU. Good ole backwards Arkansas....

However playing D2 schools is kinda out there though. No FBS team plays D2 schools
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: Ben on June 26, 2016, 05:02:14 pm
Wrong place to voice any thought on playing instate teams. Lol you know the users on here are stuck in an old, outdated mindset. Much like the state of Arkansas in general. Alot of them still worship broyles without thinking for themselves, really convincing themselves that ASU would harm the Hogs by simply playing, but hypocritically will downplay ASU. Good ole backwards Arkansas....

However playing D2 schools is kinda out there though. No FBS team plays D2 schools

We will never, ever, ever, ever, ever play Arkansas State.

But feel free to stay butthurt about it.  It makes me happy.

Hawgphish

not a good idea.  Henderson State is good for their level but they would not stand a chance against the other teams.  Just move on.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

-Harry Solomon

RME

Let's leave the "pre-season" tournaments to college basketball.

bythelake

Okay, let's have some fun with this.  Yea, hogs will play ASU but how much?

1. 3 million pay to hogs paid by pups.  1/4 of their budget.
2.  Play in Fayetteville with the pups only getting 5,000 tickets.

What would it take for us to play them?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Ben on June 26, 2016, 05:02:14 pm

Actually, the reason why this topic gets such a poor reception is because we have already discussed/debated/heard all the arguments, for and against... MANY TIMES. It's not going to change, and the vast majority of us don't want it to. And by the way, I am pretty sure that Frank Broyles, along with Jeff Long and Bret Bielema are much more knowledgeable on the subject than you are. They all believe that not playing in-state schools is the best choice for the University of Arkansas. Good news for you though- none of them are actually from Arkansas, so you can listen to them. They're not "backwards" like the rest of us.

With that being said, if Arkansas is, in fact, too "backwards" for you, then go somewhere else. Root for a different team. I promise we'll be ok without you. But don't come on here and start throwing out personal insults at the population of an entire state because you don't like a policy that a school has taken. That's childish and ignorant; save it for recess.
   -Harry Solomon

26.2Hog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on June 26, 2016, 07:21:33 pm
Actually, the reason why this topic gets such a poor reception is because we have already discussed/debated/heard all the arguments, for and against... MANY TIMES. It's not going to change, and the vast majority of us don't want it to. And by the way, I am pretty sure that Frank Broyles, along with Jeff Long and Bret Bielema are much more knowledgeable on the subject than you are. They all believe that not playing in-state schools is the best choice for the University of Arkansas. Good news for you though- none of them are actually from Arkansas, so you can listen to them. They're not "backwards" like the rest of us.

With that being said, if Arkansas is, in fact, too "backwards" for you, then go somewhere else. Root for a different team. I promise we'll be ok without you. But don't come on here and start throwing out personal insults at the population of an entire state because you don't like a policy that a school has taken. That's childish and ignorant; save it for recess.

BAM!!!

FANONTHEHILL

I say do it, but do it without the Arkansas Razorbacks. I strongly doubt ASU would want to be part of it as well.  They can generate more revenue with a road game at a Power 5 school.   UCA may be able to come up with something better for themselves as well.

Let Tech, UAPB, Henderson, Ouachita, and so on take that ball and run with it.  There are a lot of high school players from the state at those smaller schools and folks may like the idea of a central location to watch games at this level.

It just doesn't make sense for the big programs in the state (Arkansas and A-State) to be part of something like this.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BigSexyHog

I am going to be the biggest white girl ever right now.  I can't even!!!!
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

oldman1015

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 26, 2016, 12:19:18 pm
This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Worse than just Arkansas playing Arkansas State. Here are some reasons why this is dumb:

1. Taking away 2 home games from DWRRS revenue.
2. Would bring down our SOS worse than a D-1AA team...I saw you mentioned Michigan played App State several years ago. App State at the time was D-1AA. Henderson State, UAM, etc are DIVISION II. That would be a scrimmage for the Hogs.
3. No TV interest from any nationwide platform = no exposure and no money.
4. Does not help recruiting. We would lose 2 home games for recruiting. We can't host recruits at Little Rock games for official visits.
5. From the perspective of the Arkansas AD, does it make sense?  Jeff Long isn't in the business of promoting what's best for the educational achievement levels of the average Arkansan; his job is to do what's best for the athletic department at the University of Arkansas.  You have to look at this question from an incentive standpoint of the decision-makers. You can make all the "Good for the State" touchy-feely arguments you want, but the only argument that matters is what each school has to gain by agreeing to play the game. Arkansas has NOTHING to GAIN by playing Arkansas State.
6. How would playing in-state competition help Arkansas compete better on a national scale? It wouldn't...it's not like this is a Clemson vs. South Carolina or an Alabama vs. Auburn rivalry and it never would/will be.
maybe someone should start a thread on moving games from little rock.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: LZH on June 26, 2016, 01:12:04 pm
At first I thought he was just yankin' our chain......but apparently not.

We are on the same trip
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: rickfahr on June 26, 2016, 04:42:13 pm

Flag football games with alumni is what you meant right?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 28, 2016, 01:07:30 pm
maybe someone should start a thread on moving games from little rock.

I think Bentonville high should play Eudora there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bythelake on June 26, 2016, 07:19:59 pm
Okay, let's have some fun with this.  Yea, hogs will play ASU but how much?

1. 3 million pay to hogs paid by pups.  1/4 of their budget.
2.  Play in Fayetteville with the pups only getting 5,000 tickets.

What would it take for us to play them?

Add one more condition, "3. The Hogs shall wear Black uniforms against ASU" and we will have an even more interesting conversation.

gawntrail

It would be a good way to keep the money in the state and help the state schools and also be good be for Little Rock businesses.

Put all of this effort into UALR Football and you and other like-minded fans and boosters will get to bathe in the success all by yourselves.... Really sticking it to the NWA naysayers.  It'll be great.  Then we can start threads on your message board and whine about you not playing games in NWA and depriving us of all that revenue.  Yeah.  It'll be an epic David vs Goliath type of success you can pass down to generations of UALR fans.

Hogarusa

An Arkansas football classic series? 2 of the 4 non conference games to be played the 1st 2 weeks of the season off campus?

Sign me up.  Its brilliant!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: gawntrail on June 28, 2016, 01:30:24 pm
Put all of this effort into UALR Football and you and other like-minded fans and boosters will get to bathe in the success all by yourselves.... Really sticking it to the NWA naysayers.  It'll be great.  Then we can start threads on your message board and whine about you not playing games in NWA and depriving us of all that revenue.  Yeah.  It'll be an epic David vs Goliath type of success you can pass down to generations of UALR fans.

Now you are just being nasty.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 28, 2016, 01:20:12 pm
I think Bentonville high should play Eudora there.

Eudora doesn't have a high school any more... So that has about as much chance happening, as this ludicrous idea in the OP... 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on June 28, 2016, 03:52:11 pm
Eudora doesn't have a high school any more... So that has about as much chance happening, as this ludicrous idea in the OP... 

OK. SO pick the next closest small school that does still play football in southeast Arkansas and make that game happen!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 28, 2016, 04:38:25 pm
OK. SO pick the next closest small school hat does still play football in southeast Arkansas and make that game happen!

Probably need Gravette in NWA, too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 28, 2016, 04:44:29 pm
Probably need Gravette in NWA, too.

Not sure you understood my premise, or maybe I don't understand yours.

GolfnHog

hypothetically speaking, I wonder if Jesus weeps if/when He reads some of the posts on Hogville? This would certainly give Him cause.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 28, 2016, 04:47:05 pm
Not sure you understood my premise, or maybe I don't understand yours.

Guess not, I thought you were going from furthest apart. I guess you were going from biggest to smallest?? Anyway, Bentonville split, they aren't the largest anymore, haha.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 28, 2016, 04:55:29 pm
Guess not, I thought you were going from furthest apart. I guess you were going from biggest to smallest?? Anyway, Bentonville split, they aren't the largest anymore, haha.

Got it. I was actually going for both of those as well as in a corner of the state that would mean both would have to travel to LR, one would have less than a 1% chance of beating the other and that there is no comparing the schools athletic budget and facilities.

nwahogfan1

Horrible idea unless you are anyone other than the UA.