Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kansas City Royals 2015

Started by popcornhog, April 15, 2015, 06:51:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

So it's hard for me to really be a Royals "fan" as a lifelong Cardinals fan, but I've lived in KC for about 18 months now and they've easily become my second favorite team (although the irrational Cardinals hate really frustrates me).

With the Naturals and with KC being less than 4 hours from Fayetteville, I'm really surprised that there aren't more Royals fans in Arkansas.

Anyway -- on the heals of the best season in 29 years they're off to an incredible start in 2015. A lot of people were worried about what was lost in the off season. But frankly, it's these young guys who have come up through the organization that make this team.

Cain, Gordon, and Dyson are my three favorite Royals. These guys are a lot of fun to watch. I know that Cain didn't come up through the Royals system, but that's where he's made his mark.

Anyway -- 7-0. Quite a start. I know that it's a small sample size and obviously even at 7-0 they've only got a 1/2 game lead in the AL Central, but all indications are that they're continuing their run into 2015. It's a fun time to be in Kansas City.
WPS

GolfNut57

Quote from: popcornhog on April 15, 2015, 06:51:52 pm
So it's hard for me to really be a Royals "fan" as a lifelong Cardinals fan, but I've lived in KC for about 18 months now and they've easily become my second favorite team (although the irrational Cardinals hate really frustrates me).

With the Naturals and with KC being less than 4 hours from Fayetteville, I'm really surprised that there aren't more Royals fans in Arkansas.

Anyway -- on the heals of the best season in 29 years they're off to an incredible start in 2015. A lot of people were worried about what was lost in the off season. But frankly, it's these young guys who have come up through the organization that make this team.

Cain, Gordon, and Dyson are my three favorite Royals. These guys are a lot of fun to watch. I know that Cain didn't come up through the Royals system, but that's where he's made his mark.

Anyway -- 7-0. Quite a start. I know that it's a small sample size and obviously even at 7-0 they've only got a 1/2 game lead in the AL Central, but all indications are that they're continuing their run into 2015. It's a fun time to be in Kansas City.

bandwagoner........ ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

popcornhog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 15, 2015, 09:15:01 pm
bandwagoner........ ;)

Haha. I can't have a #2 team?!?!

Props to real Royals fans though, they deserve some success. And there are a lot of legit Royals fans around here. The bandwagon has certainly been growing though.

I'll never really be a fan of any non Cards team, but the last two places I've lived (Little Rock, Nashville) didn't have an mlb team. Hell, if I lived in Tampa Bay I'd even probably go to 30+ Rays games. It's just nice being able to go on a random weeknight.
WPS

pigture perfect

They are certainly a scrappy bunch. Yo Ventura a little too much. Somebody is gonna whip his behind before too long. Maybe somebody needs to.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cosmodrum

We just called Finnegan back up so I bet we're expecting a suspension.
Go away, batin'

DukeOfPork

I went to the Royals-Tigers game on Saturday.  David Price pretty well shut us down, but it was still a lot of fun.  Sell out crowd, beautiful weather, and a sense of excitement in the air.

I've been a Royals fan since the 70s, so it's just so good to feel like the team is actually playing for something again.

popcornhog

WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on April 15, 2015, 06:51:52 pm

If the Royals can remain competitive for a few years, they may expand their territory a bit.  But as it stands now, I'm not surprised that there aren't many Royals fans in Arkansas.

A lot of baseball fans in Arkansas have traditionally been Cardinals fans.  It's just a hell of a lot easier to be a Cardinals fan; throughout their entire history, you have always been able to count on them to be competitive and to either be in the playoffs or within reach of the playoffs.

By contrast, it's hard to be a Royals fan.  For 30 years, there has been no payoff.  Most of those years, you knew they weren't going to even get a whiff of a .500 record let alone talk about the playoffs.

I don't blame anyone for not signing up for that.  As a sports fan, that sucks.

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on May 03, 2015, 10:56:00 pm
If the Royals can remain competitive for a few years, they may expand their territory a bit.  But as it stands now, I'm not surprised that there aren't many Royals fans in Arkansas.

A lot of baseball fans in Arkansas have traditionally been Cardinals fans.  It's just a hell of a lot easier to be a Cardinals fan; throughout their entire history, you have always been able to count on them to be competitive and to either be in the playoffs or within reach of the playoffs.

By contrast, it's hard to be a Royals fan.  For 30 years, there has been no payoff.  Most of those years, you knew they weren't going to even get a whiff of a .500 record let alone talk about the playoffs.

I grew up a Cardinals fan in Arkansas and never experienced a title until college. Granted, I did get to grow up watching the likes of Ozzie and Big Mac.

I don't think its so much the winning tradition is STL that has made fans out of Arkansans over the years (although that's part of it).

The three big factors that built a huge fan base over the years in Arkansas are:

1) KMOX
2) Location
3) The Travs

I don't blame anyone for not signing up for that.  As a sports fan, that sucks.
WPS

DukeOfPork

Any Royals fans on this board?

pigture perfect

I like the Royals as my AL team.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DukeOfPork

Hell of a road trip so far.  5-1.

Sweeping the A's at Oakland is a pretty big accomplishment since the A's were 9-2 in the last couple weeks. 

This series at Houston should be a good challenge.

Exactly two teams are playing over .600 ball: and they're both in Missouri. 

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DukeOfPork

We ran into former Hog, Keuchel tonight.  Dude was on.

pigture perfect

DK did impressive work. Hard to root against him.

cosmodrum

Yep. Gotta avoid the sweep now.
Go away, batin'

Uncommon

Get your brooms out.  Nice 4 game sweep of the Rays concluded today making us the first AL club to reach 50 wins this season.

And if that's not enough, this came out today: http://deadspin.com/bill-murray-on-cardinals-fans-satans-messengers-on-ea-1716826085

Love you Bill

GolfNut57

Awesome! Now let's see you sweep the Jays this weekend as well.  :)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Uncommon

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 09, 2015, 04:59:37 pm
Awesome! Now let's see you sweep the Jays this weekend as well.  :)
Hope so.  However, Mr. Donaldson may have something to say about it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Uncommon on July 09, 2015, 05:06:46 pm
Hope so.  However, Mr. Donaldson may have something to say about it.

Donaldson is just a mouthy punk. Be sure and tell him I said that if you make it to the K.  ;)

Uncommon

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 09, 2015, 05:09:58 pm
Donaldson is just a mouthy punk. Be sure and tell him I said that if you make it to the K.  ;)
Will do.  Will be nice to not have to be voting Royals in the All-Star game in between innings.

I'm just kidding though.  Here's who I voted for:
DH SEA N. Cruz
C OAK S. Vogt
1B DET M. Cabrera
2B BOS D. Pedroia
3B TOR J. Donaldson
SS TOR J. Reyes
OF DET JD Martinez
OF OAK J. Reddick
OF LAA M. Trout

GolfNut57

I didn't do any voting for the game. They have ruined it in my opinion by putting the starters all in the fans hands. That just makes it a popularity contest and no matter what player is the most deserving fans will vote for their own teams players 99% of the time. Which is why Jeter kept going way after the point he deserved to be there. It is now just a sham. And I would just as soon as no Red Sox player make it there this year because they would be better served staying home and healing their many ails.

pigture perfect

Think I'm going to a game at the K in August or September. Kind of a family tradition. It ought to be really exciting by then.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 10, 2015, 01:15:42 am
Think I'm going to a game at the K in August or September. Kind of a family tradition. It ought to be really exciting by then.

About to head that way to see Mark Buehrle pitch against Chris Young. Should be a fun game.

I'm most excited to see my favorite Royal, Jarrod Dyson, get to start.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

Uncommon

Rios double and Salvy bomb for the win last night.

Blue Jays return the favor with 2 big flies from Encarnacion and Valencia today to end the 6 game winning streak.

51-34

Uncommon

July 13, 2015, 07:05:08 am #26 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:41:35 am by Uncommon
In yesterday's game after the bottom of the 1st inning, you could've taken a nap until the 6th and caught all the action.  Lots of runs for the Royals in the top of the 1st and the Blue Jays in the top of the 6th.  Very fun to see the Royals be so resilient after blowing a 7-0 lead to win 11-10 and improve to 52-34 as they head into the All-Star break.  Orlando Magic!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 09, 2015, 08:22:32 pm
I didn't do any voting for the game. They have ruined it in my opinion by putting the starters all in the fans hands.

I can't remember a time when the starters weren't determined by fan voting.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Uncommon on July 13, 2015, 07:05:08 am
In yesterday's game after the bottom of the 1st inning, you could've taken a nap until the 6th and caught all the action.  Lots of runs for the Royals in the top of the 1st and the Blue Jays in the top of the 6th.  Very fun to see the Royals be so resilient after blowing a 7-0 lead to win 11-10 and improve to 52-34 as they head into the All-Star break.  Orlando Magic!

That game was ridiculous.  In 162 games, not all of them are well played.  But you still have to find ways to win the game regardless of what happens...and more often than most, the Royals find a way.

Gordon is a huge loss.  That guy had 7 hits in the double header the day before his injury.  He was really dialed in.  But you have to love the way Dyson has played in his absence.

cosmodrum

If there's a game 7, looks like it will be in the K again!  :)
Go away, batin'

DukeOfPork

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 15, 2015, 09:36:32 pm
If there's a game 7, looks like it will be in the K again!  :)

That's the plan.

It's going to be an interesting 2nd half to the season.

pigture perfect

pigture perfect

Ventura sent down to AAA today. He reall y hasn't been much of a factor it seems lately. I like the move. They called up Vargas to go against Gerritt Cole tonight. That is some welcome home. Come on Royals!

cosmodrum

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 21, 2015, 03:35:12 pm
Ventura sent down to AAA today. He reall y hasn't been much of a factor it seems lately. I like the move. They called up Vargas to go against Gerritt Cole tonight. That is some welcome home. Come on Royals!

I still think ventura could be valuable down the stretch, but agree on letting him go down and get back on track. Ton of talent.
Go away, batin'

DukeOfPork

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 21, 2015, 08:28:45 pm
I still think ventura could be valuable down the stretch, but agree on letting him go down and get back on track. Ton of talent.

Agreed.  The kid has good stuff.  He just needs to pull it together again.

Especially now that Vargas is out again.

popcornhog

Thank you, Royals!

Good luck widening the gap in the AL Central.
WPS

Uncommon

Awesome game last night with Blanton coming in after Vargas is injured. We were able to capitalize on a Bill Buckner esque error by Neil Walker to hit 2 consecutive doubles by Rios and Dyson followed by an RBI single by Escobar. Got interesting in the top of the 9th but the Dutchman closed it out.

56-36

pigture perfect

Uncommon

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 22, 2015, 09:06:10 am
What happened to Vargas?
Came out of the game early with something bothering his left elbow.

pigture perfect

Dang it. Hate that. He needs to be back for the post season. Along with Ventura.

DukeOfPork

I think Vargas is going to be out for quite awhile. 

It's unbelievable that the Royals have had so many injuries to starters and have sent their ace down to Triple-A, yet they are 20 games over .500 and have had the best record in the AL almost the entire season.

If their starting pitching finally comes together, they could be a juggernaut in the playoffs again.

DukeOfPork

...and they lose their All-Star, Gold Glove left fielder (who was tearing it up at the plate) and promptly start playing about .700 ball.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Uncommon on July 22, 2015, 10:10:56 am
Hate us cuz they ain't us. Not to mention they're in last place.

I remember when Farmer injured Al Cowens and Frank White.  He has seemingly always had a burr up his butt for the Royals.

But you're right: this is mostly about jealousy.  The Royals are tearing it up and Chicago is just not good at all.  The Royals have inflicted more pain on the White Sox than on any other club the last couple of years. 

Farmer needs to take his meds.

pigture perfect

pigture perfect

Looks like Tommy John for Vargas. Hate it.

onebadrubi

Royals coming out slow tonight.  I was hoping they'd jump on the Pirates but they are having problems doing it.  Maybe the Pirates are for real

Uncommon

MOOOOOOOOSE! 3 run bomb, 5-1

Uncommon

Solid 7 2/3 innings from Volquez, solo bomb from Hosmer, suicide squeeze by Dyson, and 3 run bomb from Moustakas as the Royals improve to 57-36.

A much needed win after all of the bad news involving Razorback basketball.  Could the offseason have gone any worse?