Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 06:01:30 am

So we get another league?

Started by razormatt, March 21, 2005, 10:52:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razormatt

That's what an email I just got says because of our problems last night.

Melvin Mora.

P.F.F.T.

Actually, my team doesn't completely suck, in spite of me being dumb and picking Gagne/Lidge in 1-2.

Razorback Jedi

This was the email I just got.........

==============
Dear Manager,

We apologize for any inconvenience.  We've added a credit for another Fantasy Baseball Commissioner as compensation for your trouble.  If you plan to enter another live draft, we suggest that you try one of our mock drafts first.  The mock draft is the best way to test your system.

Thanks for playing with SportingNews.com

Sincerely,
The Commish

WindyCityHog

You guys got e-mails?  I've yet to get a response....and I'll check with OklaHawg.

WindyCityHog

Okay....I finally got an e-mail....It seems we have that "credit".....For the record....

Who wants to do it again?  Season is two weeks away....Although I could have a worse team, I vote we do it again.......You?

El Dog Hog

Mock drafts dont help. Ive done like 5 just for fun and stuff. So its not that..... and my team suicks donkey balls.

WindyCityHog

El Dog....that "system" is their way of saving-face....If it was just our computers, they would never offer a credit.   You want to draft again?

Razorback Jedi

March 21, 2005, 11:28:26 am #6 Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 11:31:07 am by Razorback Jedi
I want to draft again.

The Mystery told me he wants to draft again.

This Sunday night would work for me. Same time.

razormatt

Not this Sunday, will be traveling.

Preferably next week sometime.

WindyCityHog

Okay that's 3 that want another draft....Keep 'em coming.

Porkahontas

I can't draft anytime after this coming Sunday. Wife and kid are coming home Monday morning from her mom's in KC and I'd catch 100 degrees of hell if I were to shoot an entire night in front of a computer.

I'm pretty happy with my team but I do agree that another draft would be the way to go because a few of you guys got the shaft in a hardcore way. I can pre-rank if it's after Sunday but I'd honestly not rather go into a somewhat "serious" league unless I was able to pick the players myself. We all know how well the pre-rank and automated picking did for some of the guys last night.  :-\

Would like, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night work for anyone else? If it won't, I'll just pre-rank 'em I guess.

jayhog

I'm all for another draft.  As long as it's not on a Friday or Saturday night, and as long as it's after 8 pm, them I'm in.  I hate my team.  I think it's the most fair thing to do.  Just completely ditch the other league and start over.

Dirty Pigs

WindyCityHog

I've e-mailed Oklahwag.....Damn that site....It's a no-win situation....You set the league with plenty of days to prepare for a draft, and last night is what you get.....To say I am perturbed is an understatement....We'll see what we can do.  Even with the "credit", and we draft again, what sort of assurances do we get that the same thing won't happen again?

I'll support any option.....it's a logistical nightmare. 

Razorback Jedi

Let's do a draft on yahoo (never goes down) and then input the teams/players offline into MLB.com league. A lot of work for Okla (commish), but better than relying on mlb.com to give us a good draft.

WindyCityHog

I like Yahoo too....but some people had maxed out on the number of leagues allowable, and that's why we went elsewhere....

Porkahontas

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 21, 2005, 01:32:08 pm
I like Yahoo too....but some people had maxed out on the number of leagues allowable, and that's why we went elsewhere....

I created a new ID on yahoo (the one I have in our head-to-head league, actually) after I maxed out on my regular ID. It seems to work alright as long as you can remember the name and password and such.

Last night was a nightmare but it had it's funny moments. Seeing everyone's reactions when they finally got back in the draft room was classic stuff.

I'm for whatever works. Like I said, anytime after Sunday night will be a bit rough for me, but I can make do.

JusticeHawg

I ma not sure if I could make another draft for sure.....would try my best.....

My team sucks goat balls....... ;D

Heck...I am too green to know if my team is any good or not........at least I didnt get Sammy Sosa......hey guys....can anyone remember who wound up with Sammy? ::) ;)
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

razormatt

just use different programs with the different log-in names.

Use whichever program you use most often as a browser for your typical log in

and use someother program for your "new" log in.

I use my regular login with Netscape
and my wife uses firefox where I have some teams on her login.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: JusticeHawg on March 21, 2005, 02:23:04 pm
I ma not sure if I could make another draft for sure.....would try my best.....

My team sucks goat balls....... ;D

Heck...I am too green to know if my team is any good or not........at least I didnt get Sammy Sosa......hey guys....can anyone remember who wound up with Sammy? ::) ;)

Glad to have made you smile, Justice..... >:(

Okay.....I say we have another draft on Yahoo.....and import picks to MLB.com....I'll volunteer my time to do it.....if everyone else is okay with it....but we'll have to figure out a good time for everyone....and it would have to happen quick...

Too bad we can't have it on the Hogville chat room....Anyone computer-savvy enough to import it there?  That would be good....but I just have concerns that even if we did scrap the 1st draft and do it again on that site, we may experience the same problems....

As for other draft times?  Anytime late....no Friday or Saturday night for me....

WindyCityHog

Yahoo.....I don't think it will work....I just checked....In the free version, the live-draft times are BAD.....nothing after 4 p.m. on any available date before the season starts.....

Razorback Jedi

what about a "slow llive" draft over the period of a week or so? Set the time to allow for up to 4 hours to "pick" (between the hours of 8am to 12pm)... Might be the best way to get everyone involved.

razormatt

all 12 managers post their picks, we don't have to do it live.

Since I thought of this idea, I'll go first.

I take Pujols.

Next...

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: razormatt on March 21, 2005, 02:53:17 pm
all 12 managers post their picks, we don't have to do it live.

Since I thought of this idea, I'll go first.

I take Pujols.

Next...

Great idea, I'm next.

My picks:
rd 1. Vlad
rd 2. Santana
rd 3. R Johnson
rd 4. Gagne
rd 5. Beltran
rd 6. ARod
rd 7.........

WindyCityHog

Porkahontas must have made a good impression with e-mail to the site....

I got an e-mail....and now they're admitting they were having server problems last night.

Apparently, from the Commissioner Tools on the site, the draft can be reset.....but that means we have to agree to another date and time.  I ask for patience....Oklahawg has got to do that....

...and there are others in the league I haven't heard from yet....If that can be done, the sooner the better....like tomorrow night....

Porkahontas

I've got a draft with a few of the guys over on woopig at 7pm Tuesday night. If we do it tomorrow night, any chance we can start it sometimes after about 8:30?

Anytime Wednesday-Sunday is fine with me as long as it's after about 6pm or so.

If all else fails, just set a date and we'll get there somehow. Just make sure we have a couple of hours warning to pre-rank players and such. Hmm, if we reset the draft, would we have to pre-rank the players again?

Porkahontas

Good times, fellers.

I just tried to participate in a mock draft. Please note how I said "tried" and not "did"

The thing froze up on me like it did on us last night. I'll keep trying to get back in and see what else it does, but it's not looking real promising right now.

Hey, as for last night, was everyone booted, or did anybody manage to stay in the draft while everyone else was out?

Razorback Jedi

I was booted at least 3 times, maybe 4. Didn't have a choice in 3 or so rounds of picks.

WindyCityHog

I was booted 4 times....one time being about 15 minutes.....I went so far as to reboot my computer....That's how I got Sammy "I no take 'teroids or cork me bat" Sosa.....

Brett Hitman Hog

Well I guess I can't gripe since I couldn't get in .... but that was one of the worst autodrafts I have ever had ... I didn't even get a catcher and only 4 pitchers.  I'll have to stripe the waiver wires clean it looks like.  Yahoo has never screwed me with an autodraft like that.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Brett Hitman Hog on March 21, 2005, 04:45:56 pm
.... but that was one of the worst autodrafts I have ever had ... I didn't even get a catcher and only 4 pitchers. 

I'll agree with you on that.

Porkahontas

Quote from: Brett Hitman Hog on March 21, 2005, 04:45:56 pm
Well I guess I can't gripe since I couldn't get in .... but that was one of the worst autodrafts I have ever had ... I didn't even get a catcher and only 4 pitchers. I'll have to stripe the waiver wires clean it looks like. Yahoo has never screwed me with an autodraft like that.

Yeah, there was this cat named "mossfan" in there that got like 18 starting pitchers or something like that.

It was entertaining for those of us in there when we weren't being booted.

I was happy with my team but I realized it came at the expense of other managers who couldn't draft the players they wanted. Had everyone been in there and we had no problems with the draft, I wouldn't have had that good of a team I don't think.

WindyCityHog

Live drafts are usually tougher than auto-drafts....and they're a heckuva lot more fun when the ##$%&^**^& site cooperates...

Still waiting on Oklahawg....

big dread hog

I'm just out of time. I have 2 drafts left and have a lot of travelling at Easter, not much chance to be in front of a computer for 3 hours. If we use our credit is this draft just dumped? I had a couple of rounds that I did not get who I would have wanted, but did get my preranked selection or acutally a selection that I was moving to watch which meant he was in my draft selection que. Having learned to manipulate the MLB site and even compare preranks to preranks, most did okay. Those that did not were really screwed. I don't think I am up to suffering another MLB draft given what was mentioned above about bumping and lockourts in mock drafts. There are not enough purple pills to make me put up with that crap again. I am sure my wife did not appreciate my attitude change when the computer connections to MLB were lost in space. I will prerank and go with the flow if we decide to draft again. I'll play what I got and deal freely and often for trades and waiver wire moves.

WindyCityHog

I'm leaning that way too....Just keep it.  Its tough lining up another draft time for all...

Oklahawg

I'm here. I usually put my son to bed at night and had to "pay up" to the wifey tonight. Thus, its late and most won't get this until tomorrow.

Three things I'd suggest:

1. We can use the hogville chat to do the draft and import. Easy and no concerns about any automatic jazz from the host.
2. I think the only night that I can do anything (that hasn't already been declared a bad idea) is Thursday night, about the same time. I do like the mlb set-up and find it a waste of time to go to yahoo and then import to mlb. just do yahoo if that's the case, and let Mike get his $$$ back from mlb.
3. I think we can do a week-long draft using hogville PM. Heck, use the mlb message set-up because its already there and actually is easier (I think) than PMing everyone. I can create a random draft order and we can have everyone simply pick players, scattered over time. Better yet, submit 12 names at a time, rank ordered. Then, I can sort through and assign them to the correct teams--we would likely go deeper than a round with that (not everyone will have the same 12!). We'd lurch along, a couple of rounds a day. I kinda like that idea--unless Thursday happens to work I'm worried that Easter weekend hurts us, and I personally have a bad week next week (two late nights, plus softball season begins on Friday nights...3 nights out).

Thoughts?!?!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WindyCityHog

I'm for that Okla.....but some don't have the time for it.

I'm leaning more towards just keeping it.....Getting everyone on the same page for a draft is a logistical nightmare.  Besides, when I get my butt kicked, I can always use the "but I got screwed in the draft" excuse ;D

It makes trades so much more important.....and constant awareness of the free-agent pool and waiver-wire.

....but I'll do whatever the majority say....I guess I'm riding the fence....but I don't see anyway around this from a time-standpoint.

...and maybe I can use the free-credit for something else on the site that all can be involved in....I'll check it out.

Porkahontas

I'd say if we can't do it Thursday night, then we probably should just let things be, even though some of you guys got a raw deal with the draft and such.

Lining up another draft time on such short notice is gonna be hard to do, and while Okla had a pretty good idea with the hogville PM system draft, I honestly don't think it'd be easy to do 28 rounds of picks by submitting 12 names at a time 28 times to finish it out. That would require pretty much everyone being on the exact same page and not having anything at all planned now through probably about Friday. I've got family in from San Diego this week and with work, household projects, another draft tomorrow night, and Easter weekend, I'm afraid it'd be next to impossible to get it done timely and efficiently.

The hogville chat might work, but when is a good time to get together and do this? I'm almost positive all 12 of us wouldn't be able to get together on such short notice and do this properly.

Just running things through my head...are the same people that are in this league in the head-to-head league on the 30th over on yahoo? Would the two extra managers in that league be interested in joining the MLB league? If so, we can hold the draft for that league on the 30th and import the same players we pick there into the MLB league the next day or two. We'd have identical teams in both leagues, but one would be head-to-head and one would be rotiserre (also one would be in MLB and one in Yahoo) but you get my drift.

This really wouldn't be fair, but could those who couldn't make another draft keep the teams they got and those who wanted to draft over just have a redraft w/o the players on the teams who chose not to throw their players back in and participate in another draft?

Not sure if any of this sounds worth two craps, just more or less thinking outloud. Anybody have anymore thoughts?

big dread hog

It is another in house 24 our call with babies coming out at unpredictable times and manners of presentation. I can prerank and participate and will be happy to do so. I am out for Thursday, but I would be available Wed night or Fri night. Next time after that is Tues the 29th for me. The commish looks to be all powerful according to the league settings, so the idea of importing via Hogville is a viable option, a modified slow draft..... or semi-fast?

Porkahontas

Last I heard, we're just going to probably try to wing it with the players we got, but maybe we can be a bit more lenient with the trades just to try to make sure some of the managers who got guys they really didn't want can move them and get something in return they need.

The draft screwed all of us, but with a couple of exceptions, we were all locked out for about the same amount of time, so nobody really gained an unfair advantage. WindyCityHog got locked out for about 4 or 5 rounds early, so if anything, I'd be willing take a little less in a trade or two to help him even his roster out a bit.

What's the final verdict, guys?

Razorback Jedi

March 22, 2005, 09:19:29 am #38 Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 09:24:33 am by Razorback Jedi

My vote is for a "slow live" draft. Set the max time limit to "2 hours" between 10am-10pm and draft away. We can do this through the MLB site and likely it won't have problems because you've got 2 hours to pick if a problem arises. Okla, can you check to see if the MLB site will allow us to do such a draft?