Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long in the radio yesterday

Started by hawgon, November 05, 2017, 06:58:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

November 05, 2017, 06:58:48 am Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:57:23 am by hawgon
On his First and Long segment with Chuck yesterday before the game, Long made a point of saying how much he has learned about football over the last four years in being on the playoff committee.  He talked about how much film he had watched and how many great games with great teams that he had watched.  He specifically mentioned that he had learned a lot about how great programs and great coaches operate.

It was a little odd.  It could have been nothing more than the usual self marketing he does so well, or it could have been almost like a guy telling everyone that he was going to do a good job THIS time because he knows so much more than last time.

Pointedly, he made no mention of relating any of that stuff to our program and did not throw out an easy line about Bert doing so many things right and all that. 

BoarnSupremacy

He also said a few weeks ago that Hog home games are primarily social events.  I believe he said this as part of his response about importance of W-L record.  Maybe the empty stadium yesterday convinces him otherwise.

Pig Worshipper

Well, the great wealth of things he's learned about football these last few years should make him see that a change is definitely needed. But I'm reminded of an old comic strip  (Pogo or Beetle Bailey, I think?) where the character says, "We have met the enemy and he is us!"

hawgon

Like I said, it could have been taken in as "I know more than you ignorant peons" to "Please trust me I've learned a lot" or anyway in between.

harrisburghog

@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

atom hog

I think the members of the College Football Committee finally asked him what the hell he was doing there...they informed him it wasn't the women's soccer committee.

Cubbie08

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on November 05, 2017, 07:05:58 am
He also said a few weeks ago that Hog home games are primarily social events.  I believe he said this as part of his response about importance of W-L record.  Maybe the empty stadium yesterday convinces him otherwise.

Well yesterday's "social event" was poorly attended.

Dark Helmet Hog

Long doesn't understand how us pathetic peasants can't fall in line with his superior wisdom.

DeltaBoy

He is the first that needs to go!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldhog63

I don't see how the BOT will retain those who continue to damage the brand. It has gone way beyond wins and losses. This is embarrassing.

hawgon

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 05, 2017, 07:36:55 am
I don't see how the BOT will retain those who continue to damage the brand. It has gone way beyond wins and losses. This is embarrassing.

That's the point I made in another thread.  This is the kind of stuff that reverberates for years.  When Jeff is retired and living in a beach somewhere, the effects of these sorts of disasters will still be being felt. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Hey, he had a soccer match to get to....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

oldhog63

Long needs to be long gone. Yesterday! Whether Bielema is let go this year or next Long's handling of this situation has damaged the program that it will take years at least to repair. From his failed deflection of winning is secondary culture speech to now his disappearing act, he has proven he is not capable of effectively managing the Razorbacks athletic department.

grassroothog

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 06:58:48 am
On his First and Long segment with Chuck yesterday before the game, Long made a point of saying how much he has learned about football over the last four years in being on the playoff committee.  He talked about how much film he had watched and how many great games with great teams that he had watched.  He specifically mentioned that he had learned a lot about how great programs and great coaches operate.

It was a little odd.  It could have been nothing more than the usual self marketing he does so well, or it could have been almost like a guy telling everyone that he was going to do a good job THIS time because he knows so much more than last time.

Pointedly, he made no mention of relating any of that stuff to our program and did not throw out an easy line about Bert doing sommany things right and all that.

He is just now learning about football?  No wonder we are crashing and burning. The state of the program is on HIS shoulders. If it is not corrected now then it should be HIS azz on the line first.

jgphillips3

This multi-million dollar athletic program was built on the back of wins, not higher ed and grade points.  Those are valid concerns for the University, but for an "ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" wins and losses to fund the multi-million dollar beast should be his focus.  Go be an academic if you want to worry about the academics.  There is honor in that. 

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on November 05, 2017, 07:12:29 am
@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

Barf

Pig In The City

Why did we hire an AD that needed to learn about football???

Dark Helmet Hog

Calling All Hogs

Nice to know the NCAA picked a selection committee chairman for two years who admits he didn't know much about football.

cram224

You do know a BOT is a 4th & Long radio sponsor.