Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell/Campbell/Frost bigger risks than Bielema was.

Started by Michael_E_Davis, November 04, 2017, 12:36:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 04, 2017, 11:17:38 am
Campbell is a proven winner.  He got it done at Toledo and now at Iowa State.  Bielema had 1 stop and was the product of the system.  How can you even make the claim that Campbell is more risky than Bielema?!?!?!?
Good point.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on November 04, 2017, 12:36:56 am
I would like for one of the people who are blowing the Mike Norvell/Campbell/Frost horn to please explain to me what makes you think they will succeed here at Arkansas?  None of them put together even come close to accomplishing what Bielema did at Wisconsin in the much tougher Big Ten conference.  So, please enlighten me,  what have these coaches done to make you think they can win in the grinder known as the SEC?

If Bellyma was even slightly successful, you might have a point........but he wasn't and your point is moot.....Troll.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

WilsonHog

I would like for one of the people who are blowing the Mike Norvell/Campbell/Frost horn to please explain to me what makes you think they will succeed here at Arkansas?  None of them put together even come close to accomplishing what Bielema did at Wisconsin in the much tougher Big Ten conference.  So, please enlighten me,  what have these coaches done to make you think they can win in the grinder known as the SEC?

Short and to the point:

(1) There is no guarantee that any coach will succeed at Arkansas, regardless of his previous track record.

(2) There comes a time when a fan base grows tired of a coach. Familiarity breeds contempt. Happened with coaches much more successful than Bielema.

247Hog

Gotcha. We can only make a coaching change if its Saban, Meyers or Stoops takes the job.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 04, 2017, 11:24:25 am
Short and to the point:

(1) There is no guarantee that any coach will succeed at Arkansas, regardless of his previous track record.

(2) There comes a time when a fan base grows tired of a coach. Familiarity breeds contempt. Happened with coaches much more successful than Bielema.
Yep.

LZH

JJ Cale once said he wrote up to 1300 songs before he finally broke through with "After Midnight" and "Cocaine".

This may not necessarily apply 100% to the topic, but if you aren't willing to continue to take risks you are not going to reach the top of the mountain.

okrazorback

Quote from: hog911 on November 04, 2017, 07:39:43 am
  Bielema took over a program already built at Wisconsin! He has NEVER built a program from stratch. In hindsight there are many things wrong with hiring Bielema.

I think Gus should be # 1

247Hog

Quote from: okrazorback on November 04, 2017, 12:16:25 pm
I think Gus should be # 1

I'm not sure i i can spend an entire season watching him wiggle, scratch and pick his nose.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ipigsooie

I will give whoever we hire my full support. If we go the retread route with les or gus or whoever, I will be behind them. I personally feel like we need a young, energetic guy to lead us. I will probably get berated for this, but I happen to think we have the players here to do really well next year. If we get the right system and some energy, I think we could make some noise.

Campbell is the most obvious as he is a program builder. I just don't think he has any interest in us, nor does he have the recruiting roots that we need. Morris would do well also. He has great ties to Texas high school football, but it's looking like a&m may have an opening and I happen to think norvell is a better coach on the field than morris anyway. Frost will be Florida and Nebraska's first choice so it's pointless to consider him. To me, Norvell is ready. His offense is exciting, his special teams play and attention to detail are amazing and his defense isn't great, but you have to think losing so many starters has to hurt and they do enough on defense to win.  He also has a background from the dfw area which is key to our success. He coaches guys up. Their receiver is mocked to go to the cowboys at 15.

Of course there are no guarantees. CBB proved it. He was a great hire from a big time program. He should've done a lot better. We can point at many mistakes and missteps but it doesn't matter. He just isn't getting the job done.

And last but not least, WPS!  We will be back!

Dropkick

So would you rather have CBB another year or do you have someone in mind you think can be successful that will actually come here?

HogPharmer

Quote from: LZH on November 04, 2017, 11:47:04 am
JJ Cale once said he wrote up to 1300 songs before he finally broke through with "After Midnight" and "Cocaine".

This may not necessarily apply 100% to the topic, but if you aren't willing to continue to take risks you are not going to reach the top of the mountain.

Call Me The Breeze....!!!

However, some may take your post to mean we should give CBB 1300 games before we fire him... You never know, that could be the breakout number he needs to pull off Arkansas' next NC!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

ricepig

Quote from: 247Hog on November 04, 2017, 12:32:05 pm
I'm not sure i i can spend an entire season watching him wiggle, scratch and pick his nose.

But he can do it while chewing gum like his life depended on it, so there's that...

LZH

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 04, 2017, 12:50:44 pm
Call Me The Breeze....!!!

However, some may take your post to mean we should give CBB 1300 games before we fire him... You never know, that could be the breakout number he needs to pull off Arkansas' next NC!

I'll be 150 yrs old, and passionately watching the Largo city shuffleboard league by then. Go Manatees!

Ex-Trumpet

I am truly amazed that CBB still has supporters.  We've all seen his body of work--what you see is what you get.

It's like reelecting a horrible president to a second term...you're gonna get more of the fail--only it makes it infinitely more difficult to recover from when the fail finally leaves.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

mckinneyhog5

I only want two coaches..Patterson or Strong. Anyone else is just lil ole arkansaw mentality with these up and comers.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

East Clintwood

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2017, 07:50:03 am

And OSU was only down one year

Maybe that's why Bert only beat them once out of 6 tries.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Bebop

Quote from: BR on November 04, 2017, 06:09:53 am
Barry Alvarez 1990–2005
118–73–4  conf 65–60–3  Big Ten Titles 1993, 1998, 1999 Bowls 11 Bowl Record 8–3

Bret Bielema 2006–2012
68–24  Conf: 37–19   Big Ten Titles 2010, 2011, 2012 Bowls 6 Bowl Record 2–4 Never won Rose Bowl..........

Reminds me of this article: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/10/16449914/gary-andersen-bret-bielema-wisconsin-football-coaches-barry-alvarez

The important point in that article:

Bret Bielema and Gary Andersen had a combined .737 win percentage in their nine seasons as Wisconsin head coaches.

Since leaving for Arkansas and Oregon State, respectively, they've combined to go .395.

Bottom line is that Bielema was a system's coach and it shows.

King Kong

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 04, 2017, 01:55:31 pm
Maybe that's why Bert only beat them once out of 6 tries.

Lol, well he didn't even beat them that year

Wmhog

Those 2 players are better than any 2 offensive players SEC has put out in 10 years

Sorry, didn't realize Cousins and Bell were Heisman trophy winners. Like 4 SEC players during the same period

hog of steele

Title is true. But it ignores the last five years. The question isn't "was CBB a risk?" The question is are they a bigger risk than he is today.

The last 5 years have taught us that CBB wasn't a fit for our program. Most of us understood why he might work, but today, keeping him is a long shot at best.

If what you have isn't working, trade it. The new thing at least has a chance of working.

King Kong

Quote from: Wmhog on November 04, 2017, 04:51:31 pm
Those 2 players are better than any 2 offensive players SEC has put out in 10 years

Sorry, didn't realize Cousins and Bell were Heisman trophy winners. Like 4 SEC players during the same period

And where are those Heisman winners now? With the exception of Cam they haven't done s*** in the NFL.

DoctorSusscrofa

The answer is nothing. BUT we know B.B. has been a disaster. Might as well dream that the next coach will succeed even though we all know that if he isn't successful he will be massacred eventually by people who claim they knew he wouldn't.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 04, 2017, 09:29:53 pm
The answer is nothing. BUT we know B.B. has been a disaster. Might as well dream that the next coach will succeed even though we all know that if he isn't successful he will be massacred eventually by people who claim they knew he wouldn't.

I suppose you knew Petrino would crash his bike right?  Some were hollowing from day one that he would crash and burn, then it happened.  So, what's the difference if some knew BB wasn't the right fit for Arkansas?  Your only stance is that it was contrary to your opinion. 

HeathWimp

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 04, 2017, 11:20:40 am
If Bellyma was even slightly successful, you might have a point........but he wasn't and your point is moot.....Troll.

I think this guy is a true believer.  Look at his posts going back the last two years....
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2017, 09:41:03 pm
I suppose you knew Petrino would crash his bike right?  Some were hollowing from day one that he would crash and burn, then it happened.  So, what's the difference if some knew BB wasn't the right fit for Arkansas?  Your only stance is that it was contrary to your opinion.

I don't try to predict disaster, nor do I enjoy it or celebrate it.  I wanted B.B. to be successful because I am a lifelong hog fan. Whoever is coach next will be hated by several posters immediately and by more every time he loses. And by the time he wears out his welcome, as he inevitably will, there will be a hundred or more posters who knew it from day 1.

huntindoc

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 04, 2017, 08:34:31 am
Again, completely inaccurate.  The hire back then was not made knowing what we know now.  Based on the facts and coaching records that were present at the time of the hire, CBB appeared to be very qualified, much more so than the guys people are getting excited about today, me included.  Obviously now we all know that was a failure.  Hindsight and all that. 

I think he was saying they are less of risk than Bielema "is" now.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 04, 2017, 09:54:00 pm
I don't try to predict disaster, nor do I enjoy it or celebrate it.  I wanted B.B. to be successful because I am a lifelong hog fan. Whoever is coach next will be hated by several posters immediately and by more every time he loses. And by the time he wears out his welcome, as he inevitably will, there will be a hundred or more posters who knew it from day 1.

Possible not you but if not then why are you making a point ☝️ of it?  Did you post the same thing eight years ago?  Of course not because we were winning.  Tell me again why you are taking up for a losing coach.  Because you are a Hog fan? 

popcornhog

Yeah, again, I agree that Bielema was a low risk and great hire. But he hasn't worked out -- that's the thing.
WPS

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2017, 10:03:16 pm
Possible not you but if not then why are you making a point ☝️ of it?  Did you post the same thing eight years ago?  Of course not because we were winning.  Tell me again why you are taking up for a losing coach.  Because you are a Hog fan?

Who's taking up for him. I've already said he's lost me. But the love for these other coaches is just dreaming. Every one of them will be hated if they coach UA. Our fans always choose hate when we lose games. And at UA they will lose games. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, TAMU are all at an advantage. And no coach will win enough not to be hated. I remember clearly when fire Broyles was the popular mantra. And Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, and Nutt. Our fans are mean. And always will be.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 04, 2017, 10:11:53 pm
Who's taking up for him. I've already said he's lost me. But the love for these other coaches is just dreaming. Every one of them will be hated if they coach UA. Our fans always choose hate when we lose games. And at UA they will lose games. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, TAMU are all at an advantage. And no coach will win enough not to be hated. I remember clearly when fire Broyles was the popular mantra. And Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, and Nutt. Our fans are mean. And always will be.

You pay a coach 4mil to win in the end that's what gets him fired.  Arkansas is only one of several hundred places that it works that way and yes according to some that equates to "hate".  Even my momma said "if you can't handle the fire stay out of the kettle".  I never judge a coach on like or dislike, he's a mercenary paid to do a job, if you leave YOUR love out of it maybe the hate wouldn't have to show up to get rid that of a losing coach. 

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2017, 07:18:13 am
Michigan State had Kirk Cousins and Levon Bell. That's a top 10 NFL QB and the best RB in the NFL.Not as weak as one would suggest at the top. OSU only had one down year during the time.

Michigan and Penn State are better now.

Big 10 bottom still sucks as now as it did then.

Cousins doesn't make the top 20, let alone the top 10, and I can name at least 9 running backs better than Levon Bell

SchrodingersHog

I'm not arguing with your post.  It just seems like you left something out.

1.  Are you implying BB should remain the coach, or
2.  Are you saying get rid of BB but don't hire anyone without head coaching experience in the SEC, or
3.  Are you saying fire BB but don't hire any of these three coaches?

If so,
1.  You are to be commended on your loyalty.
2.  I'm not sure who we could hire with SEC head coaching experience and a good record in the SEC.  Maybe Spurrier?  Gus?
3.  Do you have a different mid-major coach in mind?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2017, 10:25:21 am
Really?  So your going to fight a war and your going to base your strategy on factors that "was" vs factors that "is"?  Even in the B10 the factors from CBB era are not the factors of today.  Plus the factors of the CBB era at Wisky sure as shooting didn't exist in the SEC.
It is the most basic of logic that dictates when comparing two things, you do so on an even scale, i.e. how they looked at the time of the hire.  Much like when comparing a players 1st vs another players first year.  You would not compare one players 5th year to another players 1st and pretend that was valid...or would you?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

code red

2010. Big 10.  MSU 7-1, Wiskey 7-1 next best is Iowa 4-4......meh....not on board.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgdavis

Quote from: MissippHog on November 04, 2017, 01:15:40 am
With great risks come great rewards.  Think I may coin that phrase.  Truth is, there is no way of knowing if it will work out or not.  Whether they are a proven coach, a defensive minded coach, an offensive guru, a CEO type coach, a hot up and comer, etc.  None of us know who can come here and be successful.  That being said, it's easy to see what isn't working. 

Do your homework if you want to know about "X" coach.  Every weekend you can watch their teams play.  There are plenty of articles detailing their philosophies.  Plenty of material out there to form your own opinion on who you think would do well here. 

It's obvious he wants to keep B.B. he has defended him in every thread he has been on tonight or got after people that had something negative about his coaching or the way the team played and acted today.

hawgdavis

Quote from: 247Hog on November 04, 2017, 11:43:13 am
Gotcha. We can only make a coaching change if its Saban, Meyers or Stoops takes the job.

You left one out his favorite
B.B.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 04, 2017, 11:12:47 pm
It is the most basic of logic that dictates when comparing two things, you do so on an even scale, i.e. how they looked at the time of the hire.  Much like when comparing a players 1st vs another players first year.  You would not compare one players 5th year to another players 1st and pretend that was valid...or would you?

I don't know pork, you brought up strategy but it seems your talking about correlation, maybe without factoring in causation. Threads get whacky trying to keep up with myself much less others and their thoughts.  If I 'm talking about strategy I don't know that your premise is relevant.

GoHogs1091

Campbell and Frost can coach.  They are not a bigger risk than Bielema.

I am not sold on Norvell.  Fuente left him a football program on solid footing.

Gonzo

The one who IS there has proven he won't succeed, what the hell more do you need? If your question is about who should be the replacement, I'll grant there is a discussion to be had. But if your question is should a change be made, I'll just leave it with that is a completely blind argument.

Go Hogs!

RME

What's easier to accept? Giving an "up and comer" 5 years and seeing this result or giving an "established" guy 5 years and seeing this result?

Neither are easy to swallow, but if a Norvell/Campbell was doing this in year 5 compared to a Bielema/Malzahn in year 5, I know for which coach I'd have an easier time understanding his struggle.

Easy answer for me.

Matt Burks

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 04, 2017, 11:46:09 pm

Actually, in my research, I found were other coaches said Fuentes once spent several days with Norvell a couple of years ago talking about football, and Fuentes changed his offense to Norvell's offense. Also I read an article that mentioned that Gus, Norvell, the SMU coach and Dowell Loggians swap ideas too: http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20130830asu-offensive-coordinator-mike-norvell-driven-best.html

Pork Twain

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 04, 2017, 11:45:46 pm
I don't know pork, you brought up strategy but it seems your talking about correlation, maybe without factoring in causation. Threads get whacky trying to keep up with myself much less others and their thoughts.  If I 'm talking about strategy I don't know that your premise is relevant.
Talk about trying to overcomplicate things.  This has nothing to do with either of those.  It is about looking at past coaching hires in comparison to future coaching hires, at the same point in the hiring process.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 04, 2017, 11:46:09 pm

Look at that Chad Morris was left at SMU, and look at where they are now. Amazing job.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 05, 2017, 03:08:00 am
Talk about trying to overcomplicate things.  This has nothing to do with either of those.  It is about looking at past coaching hires in comparison to future coaching hires, at the same point in the hiring process.

Sorry, people start talking about "is" "was" "strategy" "correlation" and "causation" my head starts spinning. LOL!  I ain't that smart.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Look, I get your concern.  But your argument lacks all the context.  Because those coaches you mentioned are relatively "unproven" make it necessary we keep Bielema?  After what you saw yesterday? 

If you're not simply trolling (small chance you are), then your opinions on this matter, through which I've seen in several threads, are 100% based on fear of failure.  No program ever hires a new coach expecting guaranteed success.  But you don't just keep a coach because you're scared of what's around the next corner.  The financial stakes in P5 football are way too damn high to be overly conservative as an AD.

Kevin

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 05, 2017, 09:22:34 am
Look, I get your concern.  But your argument lacks all the context.  Because those coaches you mentioned are relatively "unproven" make it necessary we keep Bielema?  After what you saw yesterday? 

If you're not simply trolling (small chance you are), then your opinions on this matter, through which I've seen in several threads, are 100% based on fear of failure.  No program ever hires a new coach expecting guaranteed success.  But you don't just keep a coach because you're scared of what's around the next corner.  The financial stakes in P5 football are way too damn high to be overly conservative as an AD.

cbb was a paper tiger at Wisconsin. just look at the badgers this year, they will play nobody.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Paul

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 05, 2017, 02:55:09 am
Actually, in my research, I found were other coaches said Fuentes once spent several days with Norvell a couple of years ago talking about football, and Fuentes changed his offense to Norvell's offense. Also I read an article that mentioned that Gus, Norvell, the SMU coach and Dowell Loggians swap ideas too: http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20130830asu-offensive-coordinator-mike-norvell-driven-best.html
thanks for the link

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 05, 2017, 02:55:09 am

Good read,

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on November 04, 2017, 10:36:17 pm
Cousins doesn't make the top 20, let alone the top 10, and I can name at least 9 running backs better than Levon Bell

Bull. Levon Bell is the best RB in the League.

Cousins is a top 10 QB