Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell/Campbell/Frost bigger risks than Bielema was.

Started by Michael_E_Davis, November 04, 2017, 12:36:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

I would like for one of the people who are blowing the Mike Norvell/Campbell/Frost horn to please explain to me what makes you think they will succeed here at Arkansas?  None of them put together even come close to accomplishing what Bielema did at Wisconsin in the much tougher Big Ten conference.  So, please enlighten me,  what have these coaches done to make you think they can win in the grinder known as the SEC?
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

The difference between "Was" and "Is" is exactly why your point is moot.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ā 

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on November 04, 2017, 12:36:56 am
I would like for one of the people who are blowing the Mike Norvell/Campbell/Frost horn to please explain to me what makes you think they will succeed here at Arkansas?  None of them put together even come close to accomplishing what Bielema did at Wisconsin in the much tougher Big Ten conference.  So, please enlighten me,  what have these coaches done to make you think they can win in the grinder known as the SEC?

Looks like Alvarez had as much to do at UW as Bert did. Notice they didn't really miss a beat.

Porkchop#1

For the same reason no one ever pointed a telescope at the sun.

MissippHog

With great risks come great rewards.  Think I may coin that phrase.  Truth is, there is no way of knowing if it will work out or not.  Whether they are a proven coach, a defensive minded coach, an offensive guru, a CEO type coach, a hot up and comer, etc.  None of us know who can come here and be successful.  That being said, it's easy to see what isn't working. 

Do your homework if you want to know about "X" coach.  Every weekend you can watch their teams play.  There are plenty of articles detailing their philosophies.  Plenty of material out there to form your own opinion on who you think would do well here. 

EastTNHog

Who would you like to see replace CBB? Any of the three above would be an upgrade.

radar

There were a lot of factors involved in his success at Wisconsin that were not connected to his abilities as a head coach. I have always liked the idea of young coaches moving up with the something to prove attitude.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 04, 2017, 12:50:14 am
Looks like Alvarez had as much to do at UW as Bert did. Notice they didn't really miss a beat.
Nope, BB achieved better results then Alvarez did after he took over.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: radar on November 04, 2017, 01:23:10 am
There were a lot of factors involved in his success at Wisconsin that were not connected to his abilities as a head coach. I have always liked the idea of young coaches moving up with the something to prove attitude.
They also fail more than they succeed.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hogcam

Look at Wisconsin now and every year after he left. Coach B had nothing to do with Wisconsin.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hogcam on November 04, 2017, 01:51:07 am
Look at Wisconsin now and every year after he left. Coach B had nothing to do with Wisconsin.
Why don't you go look and get back with me and tell me what year did the coaches after BB exceed him.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 04, 2017, 02:06:53 am
Why don't you go look and get back with me and tell me what year did the coaches after BB exceed him.

Big 10 got a lot tougher after he left. CBB feasted on a very weak Big 10

Jzilla

Bielema had a bowl record of 2-5, since he left they are 3-1. They have 41 wins in the 4 full seasons since he has left as well as being a top 5 undefeated team this season as well. It can be said that he actually underachieved compared to what his replacements have done.

Ā 

Pork Twain

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 04, 2017, 12:38:45 am
The difference between "Was" and "Is" is exactly why your point is moot.
That makes absolutely zero sense from a strategic standpoint.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

From the HDN/JFB days, a new coach or a new AD is like the 2nd string qb for many of these guys.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hogcore

Quote from: Jzilla on November 04, 2017, 04:01:12 am
Bielema had a bowl record of 2-5, since he left they are 3-1. They have 41 wins in the 4 full seasons since he has left as well as being a top 5 undefeated team this season as well. It can be said that he actually underachieved compared to what his replacements have done.

This.

Torqued pork

November 04, 2017, 04:51:50 am #16 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:11:46 am by Torqued pork
Bielema's resume was easily more impressive at the time of his hiring than any coach we ever hired with the possible exception of Danny Ford, but his resume hasn't done anything for him here.

Meanwhile,  coaches who brought less impressive credentials had success Bielema hasn't sniffed in his five years here.

There are strengths and weaknesses that can't be seen on paper. Frank Broyles was good at sensing them.. Long hasn't proved anything in this regard.

husker71

I dont know if any of the 3 would come here.  Best chance would be Norvell but Campbell and Frost are probably not interested in us at the moment.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Bacons Rebellion

Stocks are riskier than CDs. Let's all check our 401Ks.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 04, 2017, 12:50:14 am

Exactly.  Bielema is one of those guys who was born on 3rd base but woke up thinking he had a hit triple. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 04, 2017, 01:39:39 am
Nope, BB achieved better results then Alvarez did after he took over.
Barry Alvarez 1990ā€“2005
118ā€“73ā€“4  conf 65ā€“60ā€“3  Big Ten Titles 1993, 1998, 1999 Bowls 11 Bowl Record 8ā€“3

Bret Bielema 2006ā€“2012
68ā€“24  Conf: 37ā€“19   Big Ten Titles 2010, 2011, 2012 Bowls 6 Bowl Record 2ā€“4 Never won Rose Bowl..........
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

jkstock04

I bet you were drunk when you posted this.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

twistitup

CBB looks back on Whisky and cries...he had it good

Karma is a bitch
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Ā 

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on November 04, 2017, 06:09:53 am
Barry Alvarez 1990ā€“2005
118ā€“73ā€“4  conf 65ā€“60ā€“3  Big Ten Titles 1993, 1998, 1999 Bowls 11 Bowl Record 8ā€“3

Bret Bielema 2006ā€“2012
68ā€“24  Conf: 37ā€“19   Big Ten Titles 2010, 2011, 2012 Bowls 6 Bowl Record 2ā€“4 Never won Rose Bowl..........

;) 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

havok

Who ever is our future coach.. he needs to be a good fit for the program.

For a coach to succeed, he needs to be a good fit.  Kinda Like Charlie Strong's situation at Texas. He is a damn good coach, but Texas just seemed like he never fit, thus had less than stellar career there.

I really thought Bielema would be a good fit and seemed to be his first few years.  One who would always have a one of the strongest/best offensive line, but unlike Nutt would actually augment the Running game with a real passing game, (Not just be all talk).  Plus unlike Petrino, would not totally ignore the defense..

Unfortunately, it appears Bielema was just a guy who can ride the coat-tails of a predecessor and not build a program from ground up.

parallaxpig

Quote from: havok on November 04, 2017, 06:47:06 am
Who ever is our future coach.. he needs to be a good fit for the program.

For a coach to succeed, he needs to be a good fit.  Kinda Like Charlie Strong's situation at Texas. He is a damn good coach, but Texas just seemed like he never fit, thus had less than stellar career there.

I really thought Bielema would be a good fit and seemed to be his first few years.  One who would always have a one of the strongest/best offensive line, but unlike Nutt would actually augment the Running game with a real passing game, (Not just be all talk).  Plus unlike Petrino, would not totally ignore the defense..

Unfortunately, it appears Bielema was just a guy who can ride the coat-tails of a predecessor and not build a program from ground up.

The next successful coach at Arkansas will recruit Texas well. That's the key to success at Arkansas....always has been. If you doubt that pull up OK and OK Lite rosters..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

havok

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 06:53:26 am
The next successful coach at Arkansas will recruit Texas well. That's the key to success at Arkansas....always has been. If you doubt that pull up OK and OK Lite rosters..........

I'm in my 50's and know for a fact you are right.  The heart of the Hawg success has always been, getting the best out of the state of Ark, and plucking a nice number of recruits form Texas..especially the Dallas/Houston area.  Bielema missed a great opportunity in last 5 or so years... when Texas was going downward, Texas A&M was having yearly collapses in 2nd half of the seasons.. to really get down there and start building deep pipelines to the best schools.   But decided to focus too much time and energy in Florida or other states.

The_Iceman

King Kong

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 04, 2017, 03:28:53 am
Big 10 got a lot tougher after he left. CBB feasted on a very weak Big 10

Michigan State had Kirk Cousins and Levon Bell. That's a top 10 NFL QB and the best RB in the NFL.Not as weak as one would suggest at the top. OSU only had one down year during the time.

Michigan and Penn State are better now.

Big 10 bottom still sucks as now as it did then.

rljjr

Bigger risk, bigger reward. We have always taken the SAFE path. Where has that gotten us? Go for broke and roll the dice. Why not? There is literally nothing to lose.

Broadway Rob

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

parallaxpig

Quote from: havok on November 04, 2017, 07:02:12 am
I'm in my 50's and know for a fact you are right.  The heart of the Hawg success has always been, getting the best out of the state of Ark, and plucking a nice number of recruits form Texas..especially the Dallas/Houston area.  Bielema missed a great opportunity in last 5 or so years... when Texas was going downward, Texas A&M was having yearly collapses in 2nd half of the seasons.. to really get down there and start building deep pipelines to the best schools.   But decided to focus too much time and energy in Florida or other states.

Exactly, plus add to the fact that every year 20% plus of incoming freshmen class is from Texas. Personally I would try to schedule a home/home every year with TCU, Houston and SMU to keep 1-2 games in Texas every year. We have a large recruiting advantage in Dallas Metro area that we don't exploit.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

theFlyingHog

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2017, 07:18:13 am
Michigan State had Kirk Cousins and Levon Bell. That's a top 10 NFL QB and the best RB in the NFL.Not as weak as one would suggest at the top. OSU only had one down year during the time.

Michigan and Penn State are better now.

Big 10 bottom still sucks as now as it did then.
Did you really just base your argument on one team having two players?

hog911

Bielema took over a program already built at Wisconsin! He has NEVER built a program from stratch. In hindsight there are many things wrong with hiring Bielema.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2017, 07:02:29 am
Why isn't Chad Morris on the list with these 3?

I don't know. He probably should be #1 on the list.

King Kong

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 04, 2017, 07:38:38 am
Did you really just base your argument on one team having two players?

Those 2 players are better than any 2 offensive players SEC has put out in 10 years

And OSU was only down one year

Captain Morgan

Quit bringing up Wisconsin. They may play in the weakest division in the Power 5. Their big game every year is Iowa.... They were the most overrated program when he was there and they certainly are today. Arkansas could win 9 games in the B1G west.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 04, 2017, 07:52:37 am
Quit bringing up Wisconsin. They may play in the weakest division in the Power 5. Their big game every year is Iowa.... They were the most overrated program when he was there and they certainly are today. Arkansas could win 9 games in the B1G west.

Take a look at CFB playoff ranking to see how much respect they get if you need more validation on how weak a schedule they play.

MissippHog

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2017, 07:50:03 am
Those 2 players are better than any 2 offensive players SEC has put out in 10 years

And OSU was only down one year
Dak?  Gurley?  Julio?  AJ Green?  Cam?  Fournette?  Hell, now that AC is getting more PT he's putting up better numbers than Bell. 

jgphillips3

The OP sounds like this to me:

"Hey, I have this expensive brand name car I bought but it is a broken down total piece of S*@t.  About half the time, it breaks down on the side of the road.  Well sir, we have these three newer models that are less expensive, newer, have shown good preliminary reliability and have better features.  No thanks, I'll just keep my broken down piece of S*@t rather than take a chance on a new car.  At least it's a brand name."

Pork Twain

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 04, 2017, 07:31:46 am
Mic drop
Again, completely inaccurate.  The hire back then was not made knowing what we know now.  Based on the facts and coaching records that were present at the time of the hire, CBB appeared to be very qualified, much more so than the guys people are getting excited about today, me included.  Obviously now we all know that was a failure.  Hindsight and all that. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 04, 2017, 08:34:31 am
Again, completely inaccurate.  The hire back then was not made knowing what we know now.  Based on the facts and coaching records that were present at the time of the hire, CBB appeared to be very qualified, much more so than the guys people are getting excited about today, me included.  Obviously now we all know that was a failure.  Hindsight and all that. 
That makes way too much sense for Hogville. 

Locutus_of_Boar

The only other Arkansas coach to lead his team to an undefeated season is also the only Arkansas coach to have ever coached an Arkansas team in Wisconsin.  Like Harold Ramis in "Stipoes" he got the $*** kicked out of him in Wisconsin 0-54 but he won 69% of his games in Arkansas for 5 years and ended up the long time coach at Penn State for decades and in the college football hall of fame.

So all the available coaching evidence suggests there is no correlation whatsoever between what goes on in cheese-head land and what happens in Fayettenam and the SEC.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 04, 2017, 04:39:43 am
That makes absolutely zero sense from a strategic standpoint.

Really?  So your going to fight a war and your going to base your strategy on factors that "was" vs factors that "is"?  Even in the B10 the factors from CBB era are not the factors of today.  Plus the factors of the CBB era at Wisky sure as shooting didn't exist in the SEC.

Hogwild

Quote from: twistitup on November 04, 2017, 06:15:45 am
CBB looks back on Whisky and cries...he had it good

Karma is a bitch

What is Wisconsin's record since that Karma tweet?
What is Arkansas' record since that Karma tweet?

HogPharmer

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2017, 06:15:38 am
I bet you were drunk when you posted this.

He posts this garbage literally every single day... So, at this point, he must have a drinking problem.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Quickdraw

no one really knows if they will be successful or not. What I can tell you is these guys have to work with minimum talent from these little schools and compete quite well against the P5 schools they have scheduled. I think the reason they are successful is they understand how to get an average athlete to compete to their maximum ability by getting them to believe they can play with anyone in any conference therefore resulting in them achieving great success. And if they come to Arkansas it is expected we will see the same results with a little bit better talent. Just my opinion.

Sho Nuff

Campbell is a proven winner.  He got it done at Toledo and now at Iowa State.  Bielema had 1 stop and was the product of the system.  How can you even make the claim that Campbell is more risky than Bielema?!?!?!?