Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell is going to do awesome

Started by Tusks, November 03, 2017, 09:12:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: tusked on November 03, 2017, 10:05:15 pm
For what I understand and it's as a fan, he likes to take a defensive player and on a play exploit him to have to make an impossible decision trying to cover a play.

He likes to spread it out and get players in space both running and throwing.  I love that, it's how the game is played today.

That's exactly what the idea of this offense is. There is conflicted defender with most every play call. He will have a run play called, with a pass option read based off of the conflicted defender. Usually the read can be made pre-snap. The QB will first count the number of players in the box and then count the defenders over his receivers. He will make a read based off of where his numbers advantage is. If it's in the box, he will give the run call. If he has 2 defenders over 3, or even 2 over 2 sometimes depending on the tagged passing route, he will throw the pass. He will also have a tagged route backside on what is usually a single receiver. If the defender is more than 8 yards off, he will usually throw a quick hitch and let what is usually his best receiver try to beat his man one on one in space. If the conflicted defender, usually either an OLB or a safety, is splitting his coverage so that he won't give away what he is playing, the QB will then have post snap reads. He may initially see a OLB lined up outside the box and think give to the run, but see the backer coming in during his mesh. If that's the case he can still pull and make the throw.

It's extremely hard to defend for a full game. You almost have to play man to stop it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: tusked on November 03, 2017, 09:12:24 pm
as the hogs coach next year.

I love his offense and his play calling.  The OL will lose some weight and won't be so bunched up.  Great running lanes and routes in his offense.  The tools are on the hogs now to run his offense and run it great. Hammands will ROCK in his O.

I like the DC at Tulsa maybe more than his DC at Mem.
All that may be well and good, however, you're missing two key facts at the moment. First, we have to have an official opening at HC. Secondly, we have to offer and he has to accept and sign a contract to be our next HC. Until both are formally completed then all the rest is total conjecture. Sorry, but at this moment we can wish all we want but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

swineology

Quote from: MissippHog on November 03, 2017, 10:16:56 pm
As his team just moved to 8-1 with a win over Tulsa.  SMH.

Great job!

Play Bama, aTm Allbarn  and LSU

Get back to me when he beats these teams

Porkchop#1

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:09:51 pm
Let's not forget the tOSU loss. Bob beat the teams he was supposed to but lost to the teams that he was supposed to lose to.

Norvell hasn't been an NFL coach or a power 5 coach. To think he can field a team that will win 8-9 games a year is idiotic.

It's just like the next QB is better than the last one.
Bob never lost to A&M, Bert has never beat them.  But you're a Bert guy?  Are you crazy?

Bob lost to OSU in a BCS game..Bert lost to Va tech in the Department Store Bowl.

You wanna keep going?

MissippHog

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:18:40 pm
Great job!

He's just beating the teams placed before him.  Usually beating them soundly as well.  Can't ask much more than that. 

NashvilleHog

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:09:51 pm
Let's not forget the tOSU loss. Bob beat the teams he was supposed to but lost to the teams that he was supposed to lose to.

Norvell hasn't been an NFL coach or a power 5 coach. To think he can field a team that will win 8-9 games a year is idiotic.

It's just like the next QB is better than the last one.

Sumlin wasn't a P5 coach before his current gig.  Neither were Dabo, Kirby Smart, and Fuente. Strong was an asst before Louisville. 

I could go on for awhile
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Tusks

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 03, 2017, 10:18:35 pm
All that may be well and good, however, you're missing two key facts at the moment. First, we have to have an official opening at HC. Secondly, we have to offer and he has to accept and sign a contract to be our next HC. Until both are formally completed then all the rest is total conjecture. Sorry, but at this moment we can wish all we want but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

If Jeff Long is melba toast then you're buttered white bread.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jackflash

a lot of you fans are going to be disappointed.  when neither  Norvell or Campbell is hired

Tusks

Quote from: jackflash on November 03, 2017, 10:23:29 pm
a lot of you fans are going to be disappointed.  when neither  Norvell or Campbell is hired

I would say the by far the majority of the fanbase is going to be disappointed, maybe 70% of season ticket buyers.

It's for that reason it's a done deal.

swineology

Quote from: MissippHog on November 03, 2017, 10:21:57 pm
He's just beating the teams placed before him.  Usually beating them soundly as well.  Can't ask much more than that.

The teams he's beating aren't in the SEC West

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: jackflash on November 03, 2017, 10:23:29 pm
As if we aren't disappointed  anyway.

Tusks

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:27:23 pm

There's no team doing what you ask, no coach to search for.  So try someone who MIGHT.

The Hawg Marshal

He's beating the teams on his schedule , which is more than Brett is doing.

swineology

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 03, 2017, 10:22:13 pm
Sumlin wasn't a P5 coach before his current gig.  Neither were Dabo, Kirby Smart, and Fuente. Strong was an asst before Louisville. 

I could go on for awhile

Sumlin = Failure
Strong = Failure
Dabo= NC
Kirby= ranked but will lose the SEC Championship game

What else ya got?

MissippHog

Fair enough, but he isn't working with SEC level talent either.

swineology

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 03, 2017, 10:28:46 pm
He's beating the teams on his schedule , which is more than Brett is doing.

His name is spelled Bret, if you're gonna respond please spell his name right

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:18:40 pm
Great job!

Who's been doing that?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

swineology

Quote from: MissippHog on November 03, 2017, 10:31:00 pm
Fair enough, but he isn't working with SEC level talent either.

So he's coming in here and bringing SEC talent when Bret isn't.

LOLOLOL

MissippHog

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:32:49 pm

LOLOLOL
You believe Memphis is a more talented team than Arkansas?

Tusks

I hope he keeps the Hogs WR coach, I think he can pull with the new offense and Norvell would love him.

You guys need to check into this WR group Warren, Jackson, Pettway, Boating, Barnes & Barkley.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 03, 2017, 09:50:02 pm
HDN tore it up his first year at Arkansas..I would rather have an established coach then one who has been one for two years. The SEC will eat him up.

We have an established coach right now and the SEC is eating him up.  So what's the difference?

swineology

Quote from: MissippHog on November 03, 2017, 10:33:49 pm
You believe Memphis is a more talented team than Arkansas?

No, they don't play in the SEC West

How hard is that to understand?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tusked on November 03, 2017, 10:34:15 pm
I hope he keeps the Hogs WR coach, I think he can pull with the new offense and Norvell would love him.

You guys need to check into this WR group Warren, Jackson, Pettway, Boating, Barnes & Barkley.

What have you seen in those WR's to warrant checking into?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

MissippHog

Can you imagine how much guys like Jones and Hammonds would flourish in Norvell's system?

Marshfieldhog

Be nice if CBB would actually use them.

clutch

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:30:03 pm
Sumlin = Failure
Strong = Failure
Dabo= NC
Kirby= ranked but will lose the SEC Championship game

What else ya got?

Gus came from 1 year of Sunbelt, Freeze came from 1 year of sunbelt, Meyer came from 2 years of what was a Mountain West Utah team and 2 years in the Mid American with Bowling Green.

There's tons of coaches that either come from being coordinators or non- P5 schools that do a great job in tougher conferences.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:31:30 pm
I miss spelled his name one time, and it was an accident. Your arguments have no merit so you just look for anything now. Hilarious!

MissippHog

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:35:38 pm
No, they don't play in the SEC West

How hard is that to understand?
Ahhh, you just proved my point. 

Bubba's Bruisers

moses_007

Long isn't going to hire a coach from Memphis.........

clutch

Quote from: moses_007 on November 03, 2017, 11:01:12 pm
Long isn't going to hire a coach from Memphis.........

From what I've heard, from someone who has had some access to Norvell, he feels there's a very good chance he will be at Arkansas next year.

RebHog

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:31:30 pm

Anyone looking to start a cult here is your first recruit he will follow you off a bridge no questions asked!

Hawg Life

The team he's coaching isn't in The SEC West either.

Hawg Life

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 10:32:49 pm

LOLOLOL

He just signed the best class in Memphis history. Fuente was 88th and 90th. Norvell just signed the #50th ranked class @ MEMPHIS!!! There's a reason he's one of the most sought after coaches in college football. He's a perfect fit for the job.

Tusks

You negative nancy's will come around when he starts winning and winning with BB players.

I'm very pumped about giving Norvell the keys to the Bugatti and let hime drive for three yeas.  If he doesn't do it, then you guys can hire an old retread and say 'told you so'.

If he does what I think he will and way he does it hopefully he's on the hill 5-10 yrs.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 03, 2017, 09:54:10 pm
LSU was 6th when we beat them in 2010.

Kansas State was also in the top ten.  South Carolina finished 11-2 and in the top ten in 2011.

31to6

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 09:48:18 pm
Petrino never beat Bama or any other top 10 team in his "error"
Wow, very wrong. USCe was ranked 9th when we beat them in 2011. LSU was ranked 5th and headed to the Sugar Bowl when we beat them in 2010.

He also played #1 to a one-score game in Gainesville in the worst officiated game in Ark history (the hand of Jesus first down *and* the phantom personal on that DT that let Tebow sustain that game winning drive).

But you listed: LSU, Alabama, Auburn and A&M.

Petrino:

vs A&M: 4-0
vs LSU: 2-2
vs Auburn: 3-1

Yes, he was winless against Alabama. But lots of programs have struggled to get even one win against them in the Saban era.

ronmahony

I think the only one that can beat those SEC West teams is Saban. And I really don't think we can get him. Norvell sounds fine to me, that's what we should have done five years ago. Hire a young up and coming fire breather. Not old Bert, I did spell that right didn't I? Or is it Burt?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

tusksincolorado

If Arkansas beats MSU and MIZ then all this banter is for naught....

CBB will be here in 2018 like it or not....

but if he goes 1-3 over the next for games....you can bet your sweet azz he will not return for 2018!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

moses_007

Quote from: clutch on November 03, 2017, 11:06:09 pm
From what I've heard, from someone who has had some access to Norvell, he feels there's a very good chance he will be at Arkansas next year.
He can think that from now to doom's day. But will Jeff Long even consider him?  You reckon he wrote Jeffrey a love letter?

wikipedia brown

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 03, 2017, 09:58:20 pm
So, you'd be happy every year if we were #3 with two games to play and lost those last two games every year?

I would be happy to be in those circumstances every year with a chance to win out.

Nafunu32

swineology

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 03, 2017, 11:51:16 pm

but if he goes 1-3 over the next for games....you can bet your sweet azz he will not return for 2018!

It's all for naught any how cuz Bret is here next year.
Next year will be a better year yo hire a coach anyway.

jkstock04

This is some wild, backward logic you are pushing. So what's the solution? Have to find a coach that beats Bama, LSU, and Auburn on the regular...K. Lol is there an alternate reality in your head where this scenario exists?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Broadway Rob

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 09:48:18 pm
Petrino never beat Bama or any other top 10 team in his "error"

The hogs were ranked 6th and beat USCe which was ranked 8th or 9th (depending on the poll) in 2011.
Same year beat #8 KState in the bowl.

In 2010, LSU was ranked 5th or 6th, depending on the poll, when we beat them. 

Many other top 15 teams as the SEC was full of ranked teams during this time.

But don't let facts skew your agenda.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

swineology

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2017, 07:07:45 am
This is some wild, backward logic you are pushing. So what's the solution? Have to find a coach that beats Bama, LSU, and Auburn on the regular...K. Lol is there an alternate reality in your head where this scenario exists?
My God man, how delusional are you?

Every team that he's beat would lose to Mizzou. I agree Bret needs to go, but hiring Norvell would be a disaster.

But carry on with your delusional thought process even though we still have a HC that will get a "w" today.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 03, 2017, 11:51:16 pm

I think the hogs lose to LSU and MSU.  Should beat CC and a toss up with MO.  If they win MO, that leaves them 5-7 and they may make a bowl, depending on how many 6 win teams there are.  If no bowl, I think he's gone.  If there's a 5-7 bowl, he may get another season.  If he wins 6, he'll be back.

I'm ready to move on regardless.

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

jkstock04

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:17:28 am

Every team that he's beat would lose to Mizzou. I agree Bret needs to go, but hiring Norvell would be a disaster.

But carry on with your delusional thought process even though we still have a HC that will get a "w" today.
You are the only one showing obvious delusion here. So, I'll ask again...what's the solution? Stick with Bielema?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Broadway Rob

Quote from: swineology on November 04, 2017, 07:17:28 am

Disaster?  Please tell me the winning powerball numbers tonight. 

swineology

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 04, 2017, 07:20:34 am
You are the only one showing obvious delusion here. So, I'll ask again...what's the solution? Stick with Bielema?

The solution is to hire a coach from a P5 conference like Gundy. Not some one hit wonder like Norvell that beats up on the likes of Navy, Connecticut, East Carolina, Tulsa etc....