Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something that both Norvell and Campbell prove that many are overlooking!

Started by lakecityhog, November 01, 2017, 06:36:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Neither Iowa State nor Memphis recruits to our current level, without looking I would bet no closer than maybe 15 to 20 slots behind. Yet, both seem to be able to win against "superior talent".

I think that this proves a couple of things.

1. There isn't a ton of difference in the athletic ability of 3*, 4* and even 5* players. Teams that recruit good quality players on a consistent basis, use a scheme to highlight the physical capabilities of those players and at the same time try to scheme to cover their deficiencies can play with a LOT of the "elite" schools.
Sure, that becomes much harder against the truly loaded teams like Alabama, Clemson and a few others. But, it still happens that the lesser team manages to sneak up on even those guys every now and then.

2. Coaching in the college game is so VERY important!! A really good coach can make up for less talent and ability the same as a bad coach can drag down some truly gifted players. We see this EVERY week! All you have to do is look at Florida and LSU in our own league, how many teams in America have more talent top to bottom than those 2 teams?

If we get the right guy we can make plenty of noise in the SEC recruiting at our current level. Let him win a8 or 9 games for 2 years and he could easily have us inside the top 20 and things could get really interesting.

luke hawg

How long are we going to believe this is a real possibility? We haven't won a truly meaningful game since joining the conference. Who has coached up three stars to win an SEC championship since we've joined.

Snouty

Au contraire, sir.  Arkansas beat Tennessee in 1992 with Joe Kines as coach, when Tennessee was highly ranked.  Arkansas beat LSU ion 2007 at Baton Rouge.  Arkansas beat a top ten South Carolina team one year when Lou Holtz was coaching South Carolina. Don't forget the shutouts against LSU and Ole Miss in 2015 when both were ranked.

Overall, our record against SEC teams is not good, but we have had some significant winse. 

hobhog

Matt Burks

Quote from: Snouty on November 01, 2017, 07:00:25 pm
Au contraire, sir.  Arkansas beat Tennessee in 1992 with Joe Kines as coach, when Tennessee was highly ranked.  Arkansas beat LSU ion 2007 at Baton Rouge.  Arkansas beat a top ten South Carolina team one year when Lou Holtz was coaching South Carolina. Don't forget the shutouts against LSU and Ole Miss in 2015 when both were ranked.

Overall, our record against SEC teams is not good, but we have had some significant winse. 
Dmac running wild on LSU who later won the National Championship. In fact, when Dmac and Felix played, we had huge national recognition.

go hogues

Quote from: luke hawg on November 01, 2017, 06:43:05 pm
We haven't won a truly meaningful game since joining the conference.
LSU 2010 was the biggest game we've won in the SEC and it was very meaningful. I cried like a baby while the speakers at WMS blasted "pour some sugar on me"
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

lakecityhog

So, Luke, you think that Iowa State has similar talent to Oklahoma? Memphis has similar talent to UCLA?

And, we are not limited to 3* players! We have SEVERAL 4* and on occasion a 5* or 2.

You simply have a dim view of Arkansas in general and I hate it for you because you must live a miserable life. I have no illusions of Arkansas competing for the NC every year, but I DO BELIEVE that we can win 9 games a year on average. I also believe that MOST Razorback fans would be happy with a coach that averaged 9 wins over an 8 to 10 year period! That would mean that we had a couple of 10 or 11 win seasons in that time frame and those years would be EXCITING! We would be in the hunt for a possible division crown and we all know what that means.

younghog

How long are we going to believe this is a real possibility? We haven't won a truly meaningful game since joining the conference. Who has coached up three stars to win an SEC championship since we've joined.

I can think of tons of meaningful games since joining the conference.

Tenn
LSU
OLE MISS
FLORIDA
SC

I just hate we haven't been able to beat Georgia
GO HOGS

PharmacistHog

Quote from: younghog on November 01, 2017, 08:17:56 pm

Tenn
LSU
OLE MISS
FLORIDA
SC

We've beaten georgia
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

lumphog

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 01, 2017, 06:36:28 pm
Neither Iowa State nor Memphis recruits to our current level, without looking I would bet no closer than maybe 15 to 20 slots behind. Yet, both seem to be able to win against "superior talent".

1. There isn't a ton of difference in the athletic ability of 3*, 4* and even 5* players. Teams that recruit good quality players on a consistent basis, use a scheme to highlight the physical capabilities of those players and at the same time try to scheme to cover their deficiencies can play with a LOT of the "elite" schools.
Sure, that becomes much harder against the truly loaded teams like Alabama, Clemson and a few others. But, it still happens that the lesser team manages to sneak up on even those guys every now and then.

2. Coaching in the college game is so VERY important!! A really good coach can make up for less talent and ability the same as a bad coach can drag down some truly gifted players. We see this EVERY week! All you have to do is look at Florida and LSU in our own league, how many teams in America have more talent top to bottom than those 2 teams?

If we get the right guy we can make plenty of noise in the SEC recruiting at our current level. Let him win a8 or 9 games for 2 years and he could easily have us inside the top 20 and things could get really interesting.
BRILLIANT POST!!!!.... and THE friggin TRUTH!!!!! #HireNorvellNow

lumphog

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 01, 2017, 08:07:08 pm
So, Luke, you think that Iowa State has similar talent to Oklahoma? Memphis has similar talent to UCLA?

And, we are not limited to 3* players! We have SEVERAL 4* and on occasion a 5* or 2.

You simply have a dim view of Arkansas in general and I hate it for you because you must live a miserable life. I have no illusions of Arkansas competing for the NC every year, but I DO BELIEVE that we can win 9 games a year on average. I also believe that MOST Razorback fans would be happy with a coach that averaged 9 wins over an 8 to 10 year period! That would mean that we had a couple of 10 or 11 win seasons in that time frame and those years would be EXCITING! We would be in the hunt for a possible division crown and we all know what that means.
YEP!!!!!!!!

Bacons Rebellion

That's absurd. We won games to get to the SECCG three times. If those weren't meaningful, there is only one meaningful game per year to you -- the SECCG. Your claim is self serving and an insult to every player that has worn a Razorback jersey for the last 25 years.

texas tush hog

I would say the 2006 LSU game in the Rock was a meaningful game. We were ranked # 5 and LSU was # 9. We lost and still went to the SEC Championship Game against Florida. Should have won both games if Nutt did not bench Mitch Mustain in the South Carolina game after 8 straight wins. About as dumb as Bielema,

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 01, 2017, 08:33:46 pm
That's absurd. We won games to get to the SECCG three times. If those weren't meaningful, there is only one meaningful game per year to you -- the SECCG. Your claim is self serving and an insult to every player that has worn a Razorback jersey for the last 25 years.

Dilly, dilly, here, here!

HawgTide

Coaching matters. Even though a lot on here won't admit it coaching really matters. There's a reason LSU sucked under Curly Hallman and Gerry Dinardo and it wasn't jimmies and joes it was x's and o's and everything else that goes into building and developing a program.

EastTNHog

Great post. CBP was the kind of coach you're referring to. They don't grow on trees, but schools like Arkansas can only win 9+ games with them.

LZH

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 01, 2017, 08:43:06 pm

Dilly, dilly, here, here!

Bud light fan, I see.

Arkansas has won plenty of meaningful games since joining the SEC. All we need is the right coach - within a few years we will be back doing cartwheels like we did when McFadden and Jones were here and during Petrino's run.

Yes, we have some recruiting disadvantages. Yes we are mostly rural and a sparsely populated state. But we have plenty of money, excellent facilities, and have had coaches come in here and proven that 'winning' isn't a 7-6 season.

lakecityhog

I really believe that they could be several of these guys out there IF they get the right opportunity.

Norvell - Frost - Kiffin - Doreen - Taggart - Brohm(I just don't see Campbell as being available!)

Any one of those guys COULD be the perfect fit for the University of Arkansas and all of them COULD fail.
What is the difference in Smart and McElwain? Could McElwain have been more successful at a different school? Or is he just a better coordinator than a HC?

My only fear with a young guy is his ability to hire a truly SOLID SEC staff, then again maybe he has found the right combination of guys in his current staff???

onebadrubi

You are an idiot!   First you say you hate this fanbase.  Now you say we haven't won a meaningful game since joining this conference. 

I agree that there is a huge impact in college coaching. But there is also a huge difference between 3* and 5*'s.

okrazorback

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 01, 2017, 09:06:38 pm
I really believe that they could be several of these guys out there IF they get the right opportunity.

Norvell - Frost - Kiffin - Doreen - Taggart - Brohm(I just don't see Campbell as being available!)

Any one of those guys COULD be the perfect fit for the University of Arkansas and all of them COULD fail.
What is the difference in Smart and McElwain? Could McElwain have been more successful at a different school? Or is he just a better coordinator than a HC?

My only fear with a young guy is his ability to hire a truly SOLID SEC staff, then again maybe he has found the right combination of guys in his current staff???
Why isn't anyone saying Steve Spurrier. Is he too old? Ithink he is one of the best.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 01, 2017, 08:07:08 pm

I would love for you to be right but we have had like six 9 win or better seasons in the last 25 years.  We have get the right combo of kids, coach, and scheme and thats hard to sustain.  We have to catch lightning in a bottle.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

razorbackfaninar

Other than possibly Petrino, we haven't had an elite coach since joining the SEC

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 01, 2017, 10:41:02 pm
Other than possibly Petrino, we haven't had an elite coach since joining the SEC
BP isn't an "Elite" coach.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Neither confernce these guys coach in come close to even compare to the SEC. Don't believe me? Look at what a coach like BB was able to accomplish in the B-10. Look at what Herman was able to accomplish in C-USA. The SEC is a different animal. Don't be fooled by flash in the pan coaches or will be having this same discussion in the next 3-4 years.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: okrazorback on November 01, 2017, 09:28:23 pm
Why isn't anyone saying Steve Spurrier. Is he too old? Ithink he is one of the best.
He would be a lot better than these other coaches being mentioned. You need a guy that has been in the SEC and knows what it's like to be a coach in this conference. I would rather have an head assistant in the SEC then these smaller conference coaches.

luke hawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 09:11:50 pm
You are an idiot!   First you say you hate this fanbase.  Now you say we haven't won a meaningful game since joining this conference.

Idiot is a little much tough guy! A program turning win against an elite school hasn't happened since we've joined the SEC. 95 smashed by Georgia, 98 Tennessee, 02 smashed by Georgia, O6 Smashed by USC, loss to Florida, 10 Loss to Bama, Auburn, and OSU, 11 smashed by LSU and Bama. We have won some big games as an underdog but the difference between the acceptance of the fanbase and pitchforks is such a fine line. Luck,  injuries, S.O.S, and a random in state talent surge is more responsible for an almost won something vs disappointing season than coaching at Arkansas. Bielema is the worst coach ever unless we upset LSU or MSU and beat Mizzouri. We are then a bowl win away from 4 consecutive winning seasons which is a record since joining the SEC. I don't think this is going to happen but wouldn't be shocked if it did. Petrino is currently 5-4 with a heisman winner coming off a loss to Kentucky and being trounced by LSU last year. He is a great coach but isnt coaching enough talent to get over the hump at Louisville. I hear that coaching matters so much in college football but given the talent discrepancies only in the NBA does it matter less for me. In other major college sports the rosters are smaller, so the chances of landing a couple of over looked kids and coaching them to an elite level is much more probable. In college football it's 85 and requires at least 40 to be contributors. Ive actually enjoyed the previous three seasons and loved 2010, 2011. I'm just not going to burn the program down every time we have a slew of injuries while the state isn't producing much.

luke hawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:34 pm
Neither confernce these guys coach in come close to even compare to the SEC. Don't believe me? Look at what a coach like BB was able to accomplish in the B-10. Look at what Herman was able to accomplish in C-USA. The SEC is a different animal. Don't be fooled by flash in the pan coaches or will be having this same discussion in the next 3-4 years.

BINGO! Some one gets it.

ipigsooie

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:34 pm

What conference did Urban Meyer come from?  What conference did gus come from? He seemed to do ok. Also, this is Hermans first year and everyone seems to think he is on the right track. I'm not saying every coach is ready for the SEC but what conference they come from shouldn't matter. They will either be successful or they won't. Their skills should translate no matter what school they go to.

BigE_23

Tenn
LSU
OLE MISS
FLORIDA
SC

Childs please...

Piggfoot

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 02, 2017, 07:21:09 am
What conference did Urban Meyer come from?  What conference did gus come from? He seemed to do ok. Also, this is Hermans first year and everyone seems to think he is on the right track. I'm not saying every coach is ready for the SEC but what conference they come from shouldn't matter. They will either be successful or they won't. Their skills should translate no matter what school they go to.
To reach for the elite status in the SEC a coach has to be a good coach but he needs to get an elite school job. At any other school he may have a good year  if he happens on a good class. That good class is the exception rather than the rule..
Elite schools in the SEC---Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida. All four of these are surrounded by elite recruits.  Auburn and Tennessee have approached elite status with a couple of elite players Manning and Scam Newton come to mind. But over all Tennessee and Auburn and Mississippi are dirty. Tennessee with the Paid Coeds, Auburn with Scam, Ole Miss with pay for play recruits and probable bordello benefits.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ipigsooie

So basically you are saying it doesnt matter who we hire? Unless you arr uf, uga or bama you are doomed unless you cheat?  Also, Peyton manning never won anything. He couldnt even beat florida.

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgTide on November 01, 2017, 08:46:01 pm

Coaching matters. Even though a lot on here won't admit it coaching really matters. There's a reason LSU sucked under Curly Hallman and Gerry Dinardo and it wasn't jimmies and joes it was x's and o's and everything else that goes into building and developing a program.

Coaching does matter, BUT only if the talent level is close to the same. The problem is still that Arkansas, while finishing around 25th annually in recruiting, 10 of the teams ahead of them all play in the same league. A coach is not going to win 9, 10 ,11 games a year simply because he is a better x,o guy when just about every team they play in conf has better players.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2017, 09:28:10 am
Coaching does matter, BUT only if the talent level is close to the same. The problem is still that Arkansas, while finishing around 25th annually in recruiting, 10 of the teams ahead of them all play in the same league. A coach is not going to win 9, 10 ,11 games a year simply because he is a better x,o guy when just about every team they play in conf has better players.
Ok who is your pick for a new coach then?

GuvHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2017, 10:44:34 pm

When a coach can take over a program and in 4 years take it from obscurity to finishing #5 in the nation and do it while running a clean program, he is an Elite Head Coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HoggyCat

Tenn
LSU
OLE MISS
FLORIDA
SC

We have beaten Georgia.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: GuvHog on November 02, 2017, 09:51:42 am
When a coach can take over a program and in 4 years take it from obscurity to finishing #5 in the nation, he is an Elite Head Coach.
No, elite coaches finish in the top 10 on a regular basis. No doubt he's a good coach but not elite.

HawgTide

Quote from: hogsanity on November 02, 2017, 09:28:10 am

Coaching always matters. CBB and his staff have shown that they are outcoached most of the time. It starts with recruiting to your system, developing players, getting the right players on the field and in the right position to succeed, making real time adjustments, clock management etc...

With his coaching deficiencies CBB needs a major talent advantage to win . He doesn't have that here and never will

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 02, 2017, 07:21:09 am
Gus was a OC at Arkansas and at Auburn before becoming HC. So, again hire someone that knows the SEC otherwise we aren't going to improve.

GuvHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 02, 2017, 09:55:18 am
No, elite coaches finish in the top 10 on a regular basis. No doubt he's a good coach but not elite.

Agree to disagree. He is an Elite HC.

ipigsooie

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 02, 2017, 10:00:30 am
Gus was a OC at Arkansas and at Auburn before becoming HC. So, again hire someone that knows the SEC otherwise we aren't going to improve.

Looks like we hire Les. He is the most qualified with these standards.  We could do worse!

rljjr

Quote from: GuvHog on November 02, 2017, 10:02:03 am
Agree to disagree. He is an Elite HC.

I think he is an elite offensive coach. He can't seem to field a decent defense to save his life. No reason for Louisville to lose to who they have lost to this year -- for the most part. I think his head coaching ability is "excellent." Probably not elite. But I also think there are only a handful of elite coaches -- maybe 3 or 4.

hogsrule44

But in the same breath you would say Bielema was proven when hired here. Not sure that matters as much as most people think.

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on November 02, 2017, 10:12:11 am
I think he is an elite offensive coach. He can't seem to field a decent defense to save his life. No reason for Louisville to lose to who they have lost to this year -- for the most part. I think his head coaching ability is "excellent." Probably not elite. But I also think there are only a handful of elite coaches -- maybe 3 or 4.

Take a close look a CBB's best defense at Arkansas (2014). Over half of the starters were Petrino recruits. Petrino had the players in place for a good defense but the problem was he kept Willy Robinson as DC too long. He finally let Willy go right after the 2011 season and hired a new DC.  The difference in the defense was very noticeable against a top 10 ranked Kansas state team in the Cotton Bowl. The defense was improving but that DC didn't get a chance to finish the job under Petrino.

clutch

Quote from: GuvHog on November 02, 2017, 09:51:42 am
When a coach can take over a program and in 4 years take it from obscurity to finishing #5 in the nation and do it while running a clean program, he is an Elite Head Coach.

We went 10-4, 8-5, in the two years previous to Petrino arriving. Hardly obscurity. Heck, we were a couple plays away from playing in the NC in 2006.

BP did good here, but lets not act like he started with nothing.

East Clintwood

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 01, 2017, 10:44:34 pm

If you're comparing him to Saban, I agree, he's not.

If you're comparing him to the other idiots we've had as head coaches in the SEC, he's super elite.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma