Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does it matter at all if a coach sees this as a destination job?

Started by ipigsooie, October 27, 2017, 01:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ipigsooie

I see a lot of different opinions on Norvell and i happen to really dig that he would see this as a destination or dream job. Im curious as to what others feel about this? Maybe it is because i can just imagine how amazing it would be if i were a head coach and got an opportunity to coach the hogs.

woodrow hog call

To me it depends on their age, if a guy is in his 30's I hope he wants to win a National Champonship or three, and then win at least one super bowl.

He should also have a plan on how to accomplish each. He should be able to articulate that plan including where he sees himself at present.

Somebody in the late 40's to 50's, he may just want to be somewhere until he can retire. May not be anything wrong with that, if, he is still holding himself, his staff, and his team to a very high standard.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hogsanity

I know this won't be popular, but if this is a coach's destination job, that coach has pretty low ambitions.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2017, 02:11:50 pm
I know this won't be popular, but if this is a coach's destination job, that coach has pretty low ambitions.

Not if a coach starts winning all the time.  Take OU...who in their right mind would want to live in Norman?!?!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ipigsooie

Growing up in central arkansas, all i knew was razorback football. It was a part of my family, our tradition and our lives. We didnt schedule weddings, bday parties, or anything on saturdays in the fall. So playing for the hogs wouldve been a dream for me and coaching them would be as well. I imagine there are a lot of people out there that feel that way and i honestly hope we find a coach that can turn the hill into an oklahoma or Clemson.  I dont think us being down makes this not a destination job for somw people that would bleed razorback red.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 27, 2017, 02:13:19 pm
Not if a coach starts winning all the time.  Take OU...who in their right mind would want to live in Norman?!?!

I am talking about someone that comes here saying this is their destination job, not deciding it is after they have been here a while.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 27, 2017, 02:29:30 pm
Growing up in central arkansas, all i knew was razorback football. It was a part of my family, our tradition and our lives. We didnt schedule weddings, bday parties, or anything on saturdays in the fall. So playing for the hogs wouldve been a dream for me and coaching them would be as well. I imagine there are a lot of people out there that feel that way and i honestly hope we find a coach that can turn the hill into an oklahoma or Clemson.  I dont think us being down makes this not a destination job for somw people that would bleed razorback red.

How many coaches are out there waiting to be hired that bleed razorback red?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 27, 2017, 01:39:28 pm
I see a lot of different opinions on Norvell and i happen to really dig that he would see this as a destination or dream job. Im curious as to what others feel about this? Maybe it is because i can just imagine how amazing it would be if i were a head coach and got an opportunity to coach the hogs.

I don't care if we're a stepping stone job and would almost prefer it. 

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ipigsooie

Exit Pursued by a Boar

In theory, there should be no problem with a coach moving on. Presumably if he's moving on of his own accord to a "better" job, he's been winning here. That's good. The bad part is hiring another winner--not easily done.  If someone, Norvell for instance, wants to be in Fayetteville and wins, great! We get the best of both worlds.  But if someone like Campbell were to come here and win, then leave for his dream job, I would hope that he would leave the program in such a state that a good coach could be found to replace him.

This job is NOT as bad as people make out. We got a three-time Big 10 winner here. He's having a difficult time here, but we got him.  We are paying him very well, and other coaches would love to be paid somewhere close to what he's getting. Our recruiting area may not be as good as other schools in the SEC, but it should be as good as OU or OSU. We have passed or about to pass Mississippi in population, but have far less competition for good HS players. Oklahoma's population is a little less than a million more than AR's, but the gap is closing, and OU and OSU compete for OK's best before going out of state for players.

Beating Bama may be a tall order, but not an impossible one. Beating all the others in the SEC is less of a tall order. Difficult, yes. But not impossible. 

EFBAB

Here is the rub.  A coach capable of winning 10 here and always keeping it at 8 or above and sometimes winning 11 or God forbid, 12, well, he has ambitions and he would likely be offered a top 3 job nearly annually.  His drive that got him to 10 wins for us would certainly drive him to NCs with a team capable of winning NCs often.  We have 2 such teams within our on division and thats BAMA and LSU.  If you want a Vince Lombardi or Don Shula type person, then hes going to attract attention.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2017, 02:11:50 pm
God lord man, I believe a woman could tell you, you're great in bed and you could find something negative about yourself to ruin it. You have got to be the most negative person I've ever came across personally or on the web. I don't know what has ever happened   in your life for you to be that way, but there is help out there...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

NaturalStateReb

"Destination job" doesn't have the same meaning it did 20 or maybe even 10 years ago.  When Mississippi State can pay somebody $5 million per year, everywhere is a destination job.  If you can hold onto a job at a place like State or Arkansas for 10 years making about $4 million where expectations aren't sky-high, you'll do way better than someone who makes $6 million at a place like Florida but can only hang on for 5 years because you didn't win a natty. 

Coaches don't leave Power 5 jobs for money anymore.  Bielema was an anomaly when he was hired, and he'd be even more of an anomaly now.  Coaches leave because they want to a better crack at a national title.  Very few places can really offer that reliably. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: 12247 on October 27, 2017, 02:39:10 pm
Here is the rub.  A coach capable of winning 10 here and always keeping it at 8 or above and sometimes winning 11 or God forbid, 12, well, he has ambitions and he would likely be offered a top 3 job nearly annually.  His drive that got him to 10 wins for us would certainly drive him to NCs with a team capable of winning NCs often.  We have 2 such teams within our on division and thats BAMA and LSU.  If you want a Vince Lombardi or Don Shula type person, then hes going to attract attention.

They're not really offered.  It's all a part of the Sexton Shuffle.  By definition, there are only 3 Top 3 jobs in the nation, and they aren't open every year.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 27, 2017, 02:29:30 pm

I'm sure there are hundreds of us that feel just like that, I know I do. The thing you have to watch out for is exactly that though, the "dream job syndrome", HDN is a prime example of it. Some people when they have a dream come true, (which is what he said at his pc), lose the motivation and drive that got them there in the first place.

If you feel like you have accomplished all of your goals, it's time to quit and do something else.

This also can explain why a four or five star player doesn't pan out sometimes, he has had it pounded into his head since the 7th grade that his football ability was his ticket out, keep working hard, make decent grades, get that chance for a scholarship. Then he gets it, and thinks "I made it I'm actually here", and he lets up because all he ever heard about was getting that scholarship, he couldn't dream of anything bigger than that, so he doesn't understand how to react and re focus to the task at hand now.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hogarusa

It does not matter. Bring success to the Hogs for 4-5 season and use it get a bigger and better gig, please!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Kevin

if someone is able to move to a better job after being here, then that means we have been successful.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 27, 2017, 01:39:28 pm

Frank and Ken Hatfield did.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.