Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dowell Loggins

Started by RazrRila99, October 24, 2017, 10:20:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazrRila99

Since we are throwing names out there.  How about Dowell Loggins?  Hes been getting rave reviews in the NFL as OC for several years.  Even been talk about hes on the short list for a lot of teams should they start looking for HCs at season's end. 

My worry - does he have the connections to build a college staff?  Does he have the right "recruiting stuff" for college? 

Kevin

would you know who he is, if he was not a hog
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Average OC at best.  No frickin' way would I want him as HC.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 10:22:19 am

I dont want him as our next coach but calling him an average oc is not accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19955662/the-next-wave-nfl-head-coaches-2017-offseason

Wildhog

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 24, 2017, 10:25:02 am
I dont want him as our next coach but calling him an average oc is not accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19955662/the-next-wave-nfl-head-coaches-2017-offseason

I've watched a ton of his games.  You can cite every article in the world, but Loggains is a very average OC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazrRila99

I wasnt saying he was great, avg, or anything like that.  There has to be something there that others are seeing.

Him being a former Razorback does help as I try to follow Razorback related things.  That said, I think he'd be at least deserving of a looksee. 

Another name - Matt Patricia with NE, rough year this year, but his defenses always seem to get better as the game goes on. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 10:27:08 am
I've watched a ton of his games.  You can cite every article in the world, but Loggains is a very average OC.

It is not like the Bears have given him a ton to work with though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 10:35:25 am
It is not like the Bears have given him a ton to work with though.

He hasn't been better than average anywhere he's been.  Not saying he sucks.  Just...meh. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

snoot hoggy hog

The list of coaches Arkansas fans didn't want but later regretted not taking is a mile long. Loggins will probably be another one.

clutch

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 10:27:08 am

He's an NFL OC. There are 32 of those jobs in the world. He has one of them. He's not average. Maybe average for the NFL, but the guy knows football.

Wildhog

Quote from: clutch on October 24, 2017, 10:59:32 am
He's an NFL OC. There are 32 of those jobs in the world. He has one of them. He's not average. Maybe average for the NFL, but the guy knows football.

There are a ton of NFL coaches I wouldn't want anywhere near our program.  Mike Sherman won a damn Super Bowl and went 25-25 at TAMU.
1909/1964/1965/1977

runninrazorback

Quote from: RazrRila99 on October 24, 2017, 10:20:59 am
Since we are throwing names out there.  How about Dowell Loggins?  Hes been getting rave reviews in the NFL as OC for several years.  Even been talk about hes on the short list for a lot of teams should they start looking for HCs at season's end. 

My worry - does he have the connections to build a college staff?  Does he have the right "recruiting stuff" for college?

Whatever happened to defense wins championships?  Our defense has been terrible for decades, let's get a defensive guy who thinks defense first. 

redneckfriend

I think this is the guy! His team threw 7 passes last weekend and gained 12 yards in total offense in the second half. A brilliant offensive mind.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: runninrazorback on October 24, 2017, 11:20:09 am
Whatever happened to defense wins championships?  Our defense has been terrible for decades, let's get a defensive guy who thinks defense first. 

I know of a guy that played Defense for a good coach, became a defensive position coach and then later a Defensive Coordinator and was promoted to head coach at a P5 conference school and went to three straight major bowl games. Maybe we can get him................no wait, never mind we already have him. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 12:00:27 pm
I know of a guy that played Defense for a good coach, became a defensive position coach and then later a Defensive Coordinator and was promoted to head coach at a P5 conference school and went to three straight major bowl games. Maybe we can get him................no wait, never mind we already have him.
Too soon?

Danimal

Loggins is nothing unless he's working with Jim Messina..

Quote from: Danimal on October 24, 2017, 12:19:26 pm
Loggins is nothing unless he's working with Jim Messina..
Underrated post.

hog.goblin

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 24, 2017, 11:20:12 am
I think this is the guy! His team threw 7 passes last weekend and gained 12 yards in total offense in the second half. A brilliant offensive mind.

As a Bears fan all I can say is look at the personnel he is working with.  It was actually very smart to have him call 7 pass attempts.

I'm not ready for Dowell unless a HC wants him as an OC.

redneckfriend

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 24, 2017, 12:50:45 pm
As a Bears fan all I can say is look at the personnel he is working with.  It was actually very smart to have him call 7 pass attempts.

I won't go that far. He has no wide receivers to work with and Trubisky is raw but really, 12 yards total in a half. I could probably coach that. In addition to being a very average NFL OC he has no experience as a college head coach and it is all about recruiting- especially at Arkansas. Proposing him as a head coach here is laughable if not pathetic.

PorkRinds

He's also never been a recruiter. Not what we need.

ipigsooie

Im Alright with Loggins. I just hope he doesn't cut Footloose when we get in the red zone or as he calls it the "Danger Zone."  I am not saying he is the best hire, but im sure you could Meet Me Halfway with the opinion that he would be a decent hire and Im Free to state my opinion.  He might rock this team like an 80s soundtrack. Ya never know. 

PorkRinds

I'd rather have his cousin Kenny.

Wildhog

Honestly, I don't even think I'd want him as OC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 25, 2017, 12:06:27 pm

Not his brother Patton Oswald

247Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 12:11:10 pm
Honestly, I don't even think I'd want him as OC.

Not excited about him at all. Not sure i want anyone coming from the NFL to our team after the past few years.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hog.goblin

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 25, 2017, 11:53:55 am
I won't go that far. He has no wide receivers to work with and Trubisky is raw but really, 12 yards total in a half. I could probably coach that. In addition to being a very average NFL OC he has no experience as a college head coach and it is all about recruiting- especially at Arkansas. Proposing him as a head coach here is laughable if not pathetic.

Carolina dominated the clock.  I think they had 3 drives during that half.  But I totally agree he's not ready to be a college HC (and said so in the other part of my post).

I was a big fan of Lovie Smith, but even with NFL head coaching experience he's finding it's a different game at the college level.

BigSexyHog

So hogville now knows more then NFL personal.  Good to know
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Wildhog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on October 25, 2017, 01:14:23 pm

So hogville can't criticize CBB/staff either?  Good to know.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SultanofSwine

(notOM)Rebel123

Seriously...why would DL be a good head coach at Arkansas?
He's fairly good at what he does.  But geez, c'mon man...do you really want
Him at the helm of our program? Must we parade every guy who once wore a Hog uninform past the powers that be? Sorry to vent but some of these names & arguments being tossed about are ridiculous.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

It never fails to amaze me the thousands of opinions offered up here and secondly, how it seems to hurt some folks feelings if nearly everyone doesn't happily agree. 

Arkansas is a small, southern state that is at or near the bottom of nearly every advantage that is felt to be worthy of having.  It is not located well for Football recruiting.  It would be a plus if we hired a HC who knew Arkansas, the state, well and Arkansas the school, well and Arkansas, the football program, well.  It will matter a great deal what schemes the new HC prefers to run as Arkansas has a deep history of not getting certain position players who excel at or above the level necessary to have any chance of being successful in the SEC.  The most important attributes of any new HC is that he be a workaholic, energetic person who also knows and understand the mental aspect of the game and operates a scheme most suitable to winning football games.

LZH

I am happy for his success so far, but not sure he is ready to run an SEC program. Maybe one day.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 25, 2017, 12:06:27 pm

But look where we would end up.  We've already been there and it wasn't pretty.

Highway to the Danger Zone
I'm gonna take you
Right into the Danger Zone
Highway to the Danger Zone
Right into the Danger Zone

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2017, 09:56:27 pm
I am happy for his success so far, but not sure he is ready to run an SEC program. Maybe one day.

And some like Tim Horton much better.

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 25, 2017, 09:58:36 pm
And some like Tim Horton much better.

PRJ

PRJ, you are beginning to make me nervous with this Tim Horton idea. Please tell me you have a good beer buzz and are just goofing on all of us.

I can't imagine that would ever happen, but I have been so far off base on some hires, who knows.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2017, 10:09:30 pm
PRJ, you are beginning to make me nervous with this Tim Horton idea. Please tell me you have a good beer buzz and are just goofing on all of us.

I can't imagine that would ever happen, but I have been so far off base on some hires, who knows.

If that's the case he's been drunk for about 5 or 6 days now, because he's been posting that same name pretty steady during that time.

Or maybe he knows more than the rest of us.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2017, 10:09:30 pm

No. There are some yokels with more money than sense that have actually mentioned their man would be Tim Horton. Arkansas boy....strong recruiter....

More than that it shows just how many factions want their hands back in the Kittie and will do whatever they can to get back in power....including some who like Tim. And they have alot of coin....and then you never know if Jeff is left standing just who he will Trot out...Les Miles...who knows.

You just know that when Tim Horton is mentioned, there is more money than marbles and they are desperate for control.

Me thinks Jeff doesn't know what is coming. Especially when he trots out his "Bret deserves another year" one more time.

PRJ

HoggyCat

Is Loggins a new up& comer I've never heard of??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hawganatic

If Dowell Loggans wants to be the head coach of the Razorbacks, he should start working some of his contacts to get a head coaching job at a smaller school (maybe next time Jonesboro has an opening), and prove his chops at the coaching level.  After he learns the college game and how to run a program, then give him a look.

Right now I don't really think we are in a position to take somebody with absolutely no head coaching experience, or even any coaching experience on the college level.

HoggyCat

***than.  Gooder to know.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think if you know so little about a coach that you cannot spell his name correctly you shouldn't be starting a thread about him.  It's Loggains FCS.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 26, 2017, 08:19:36 am
I think if you know so little about a coach that you cannot spell his name correctly you shouldn't be starting a thread about him.  It's Loggains FCS.
LOGGINS? He wants to hire LOGGINS!!!!

Jesus frickin christ!

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

al_pigcino

Dowell Loggins sounds like a character on a show like Dukes of Hazzard when they need the dumber cousin to make a guest appearance.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 26, 2017, 08:52:30 am
Dowell Loggins sounds like a character on a show like Dukes of Hazzard when they need the dumber cousin to make a guest appearance.
I was thinking Lord of the Rings, but that's funny too!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli