Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did YOU Cry When Bobby Petrino Was Fired?

Started by KennyForAD, October 23, 2017, 10:42:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 12:10:12 pm
The REASON it wasn't avoided was what Bobby did. A LOT of successful people have been fired for less. Besides it wasn't about the money and sometimes it never is. It's been shown that the school will get big money no matter who the coach is. It might vary a little but all businesses revenue does. Heck my nephew in law works for a major mattress company that lost 70% of it's contracted revenue.................they scrambled and have replaced it with other contracts.

The reason it wasn't avoided is because Jeff Long is incredibly inept as an AD and the destruction of the Razorback football program is solid proof of that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dropkick

Here's a thought, Louisville is in disarray and looking for an AD. It would be funny if they hired Long due to his perceived integrity. Bobby would be out of there as fast as he could and probably back in the SEC.

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:14:42 pm
Wrong again. You also said he didn’t hire Stan Heath or John Pelphrey. The poll is accurate.

I can redo the poll if you want?

Do one on Houston Nutt's hiring alone and see what happens.

Many disagree on Stan Heath's hiring and John Pelphrey's hiring but everyone except you knows Frank had nothing to do with Houston Nutt's hiring.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:16:13 pm
The reason it wasn't avoided is because Jeff Long is incredibly inept as an AD and the destruction of the Razorback football program is solid proof of that.

And you keep proving what we all know.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 12:22:04 pm
And you keep proving what we all know.

Long keeps proving what most of us know and some of you are too blinded by his Aura to see.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:24:16 pm
Long keeps proving what most of us know and some of you are too blinded by his Aura to see.
Kinda like you are blinded by the Almighty Frank?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:24:16 pm

There are professionals that can help you. Long doesn't have an "aura". He has a job to do. One in which you think he isn't good at but most people do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastexHawg

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:33:25 pm
Kinda like you are blinded by the Almighty Frank?

People keep making their scintillating points about why Long did what he did, and why it was the right thing, and how much more they understand about business than the rest of us yokels.

Meanwhile, the football program is still a disgrace. 

Congratulations to Long and his devotees.  The view from up there on high must be lovely.

hog.goblin

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 11:36:53 am
What's your bet big boy?

I would suggest a 10-day self-imposed posting ban but given your lack of history that's awfully one sided. 

I guess we'll go with winner has common sense. 

9 wins I have it
7 wins you have it
8 wins is a push

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 12:42:02 pm
People keep making their scintillating points about why Long did what he did, and why it was the right thing, and how much more they understand about business than the rest of us yokels.

Congratulations to Long and his devotees.  The view from up there on high must be lovely.
It is pretty nice.

It is nice to be able to be one of the few people that sees how much harm Frank Broyles did.

1990-97: 38-51-2, we won 41.8%.

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 24, 2017, 12:45:17 pm
I would suggest a 10-day self-imposed posting ban but given your lack of history that's awfully one sided. 

I guess we'll go with winner has common sense. 

9 wins I have it
7 wins you have it
8 wins is a push
Lack of history has nothing to do with it.

You said 10 wins.  Put up, or shut up.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:11:47 pm
You named 3 coaches in that poll. Had you just named Houston Nutt, you would have lost by a lopsided margin. Everyone except you knows that John White took the power to hire football coaches away from Frank and gave it to a committee when Nutt was hired and they also know that Frank wanted Tommy Tuberville.
Hey GuvHog, you check that poll yet?

Guess what? You're losing by a lopsided margin.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 12:40:39 pm
There are professionals that can help you. Long doesn't have an "aura". He has a job to do. One in which you think he isn't good at but most people do.

Oh really?? Did you not notice the recent Hogville poll where two thirds of those who voted wanted him fired?? You are the one who is in the minority.

EastexHawg

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
It is pretty nice.

It is nice to be able to be one of the few people that sees how much harm Frank Broyles did.

That's atrocious!

Meanwhile, Jeff Long:

2012-2017...12 wins, 32 losses

27.3%

Your move.

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:48:28 pm
Hey GuvHog, you check that poll yet?

Guess what? You're losing by a lopsided margin.

Like I said. Do a poll on the Hiring of Houston Nutt alone and you are the one who will lose by a lopsided margin.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:49:21 pm
Oh really?? Did you not notice the recent Hogville poll where two thirds of those who voted wanted him fired?? You are the one who is in the minority.

Gee, big shock, on a website where 97% of the posters truly believe they would be the best fbs coach ever or the best AD ever they want the AD fired because they think they know better about how he is doing his job than do the people actually responsible for hiring him and firing him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 12:51:22 pm
That's atrocious!

Meanwhile, Jeff Long:

2012-2017...12 wins, 32 losses

27.3%

Your move.

It is actually 31-39.  44.3%
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:51:41 pm
Like I said. Do a poll on the Hiring of Houston Nutt alone and you are the one who will lose by a lopsided margin.
It is Guvhog...

Go check it out.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 12:42:02 pm

East and Guv...two birds of a feather.  Resident experts on all of the inner workings of the UA, Jeff Long, and everything Hogville related.  If the UA ever needs to field a two man team of "beating a dead horse," you guys are lottery picks.   ::) 

I love it that you refer to the scintillating points of why Jeff Long did what he did, when the ONLY point is...MANY of us feel very confident that the UA played every bit as much of a role, if not BIGGER, than Jeff Long did with regard to BP's termination.  Yet you guys spin these hysterical yarns that are full of about 10 speculative points about how the events SHOULD have happened, a twisted view of HOW and WHY they happened, and then make some lame attempt to suggest that everyone who didn't support retaining Petrino is an idiot and has no idea what "really" happened.  It's comical.  Ran motorcycle into a ditch with a woman, lied about having a woman on the bike on national TV with everyone watching, got fired for it.  No speculation needed.  Facts.   

Again..same story, different day.  One more whack at the horse.... ::) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 24, 2017, 11:49:21 am
I didn't cry, but I was embarrassed for the University, and for CBP himself. 

You know what else I'm embarrassed about?  Hogville's members dwelling on this, and typing the same drivel over, and over...myself included.  We have made this argument from both sides of the fence for years now, and it's the same people taking the same stance EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

I'm not changing my mind no matter how many times Guv tries to convince me that BP didn't have to be fired, or shouldn't have been fired. 

Does anyone else feel a little twinge of likelihood that they're going to change their stance by something profound that someone is going to type on this message board? 

NOPE...I didn't think so.  So why can't we move on from this?   

Are you surprised though. I mean it is 10 years since HDN left and we still get people that can not get involved in any conversation without bringing him up. Some of these posters are seemingly ( although I think it is an act with some ) incapable of deriving any pleasure from life if the Hogs are not winning, and that is just sad.

But hogville was built on two main events, the HDN saga and the BP saga. And, there is a large chunk of people who truly would sell their soul for the Hogs to win, so they have no issues with keeping a lying adulterer around if they thought he would go 215 again, even though that resulted in NOTHING, not a div, not a seccg appearnce, NOTHING except two more close but not cigar seasons to add to the collection along with 06, 98, 89, 88, 79, 77, 69, 65.......
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:56:36 pm

The numbers I gave were in conference games.

But since we're talking about Jeff Long and Broyles as ADs over the entire department and not just football, let's look at other sports as well. 

In the 1990-1997 time frame you specified, under Broyles, Razorback basketball went to three Final Fours, two NCAA championship games, and won a national championship.

Jeff Long?  Well, he's no slouch, either!  Under his direction men's basketball has won THREE NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES.  Not one, not two, but THREE!

How about track and field and cross country?

In your hand picked 1990-1997 span, under Broyles as AD Arkansas won 18 national championships in track and field and cross country.

During Jeff Long's entire ten years on the job?  One.  Capital O, little n, little e.  One.

This is fun.  Can we play some more?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 01:05:07 pm
Are you surprised though. I mean it is 10 years since HDN left and we still get people that can not get involved in any conversation without bringing him up. Some of these posters are seemingly ( although I think it is an act with some ) incapable of deriving any pleasure from life if the Hogs are not winning, and that is just sad.

But hogville was built on two main events, the HDN saga and the BP saga. And, there is a large chunk of people who truly would sell their soul for the Hogs to win, so they have no issues with keeping a lying adulterer around if they thought he would go 215 again, even though that resulted in NOTHING, not a div, not a seccg appearnce, NOTHING except two more close but not cigar seasons to add to the collection along with 06, 98, 89, 88, 79, 77, 69, 65.......

To sum it up.  Nope.  Not surprised at all.  You will always have people who put winning above everything else, but they won't publicly admit that typically.  Then you have others who think there's value in integrity, and understand that Universities have more at stake than Joe fan sitting on his couch coated in Dorito Dust and spilled beer, professing to understand everything much better than the people making the actual decisions. 

Thus is life, and it's why we see it playing out on Hogville like it is.  It's no different than Republicans arguing with Democrats on political sites.  Nothing changes...people just like to share their thoughts with like minded people, because it makes them feel better about themselves. 

Meanwhile, people are paid to make tough decisions, and sometimes they work out, and sometimes they don't.  The Eagles thought Chip Kelley could repeat what he did at Oregon at Philly...FAIL.  The Dolphins thought NICK SABAN could be a solid NFL coach...FAIL.  Are the people who hired and fired them idiots?  I'm sure they were in many people's minds, but the fact is...we make decisions, and we have to live with them.  Some people just can't move on to the next one. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 01:10:10 pm
The numbers I gave were in conference games.

But since we're talking about Jeff Long and Broyles as ADs over the entire department and not just football, let's look at other sports as well. 

In the 1990-1997 time frame you specified, under Broyles, Razorback basketball went to three Final Fours, two NCAA championship games, and won a national championship.

Jeff Long?  Well, he's no slouch, either!  Under his direction men's basketball has won THREE NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES.  Not one, not two, but THREE!

How about track and field and cross country?

In your hand picked 1990-1997 span, under Broyles as AD Arkansas won 18 national championships in track and field and cross country.

During Jeff Long's entire ten years on the job?  One.  Capital O, little n, little e.  One.

This is fun.  Can we play some more?
He has won three national championships in track and field. Don't forget the women. Are you sexist?

Three College World Series appearances to Frank's big goose egg in that time frame.

Your credibility continues to dwindle.

Also, isn't is Frank who ran off Nolan and countless others because dare them challenge his supremacy?

You can spin things however you want.

See? You're learning. Congratulations.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

urkillnmesmalls

This thing is getting closer and closer to a Sonic meeting.  If it's close, I'll come watch, but it looks like it's shaping up to be more of a slap fight, so no way I'm driving all the way to Alma for it. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:56:36 pm

Add in numbers from ALL Arkansas sports programs...   most will be really surprised...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 24, 2017, 01:18:46 pm
Add in numbers from ALL Arkansas sports programs...   most will be really surprised...
Surprised that they are about the same except one is from Ohio and the other from Georgia?
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2017, 11:49:38 am
Well it wasn't just Long vs Petrino.  Bobby had set it up for when he messed up he had no support.  An AD doesn't just say to hell with what anyone thinks I'm firing a winning SEC head coach.  Bobby admitted he thought he was untouchable.  Wasn't just Long firing Bobby although it was his announcement to make.  Long knew he had the support to make that decision. 

Who could resist the Petrino charm?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 24, 2017, 01:18:25 pm
This thing is getting closer and closer to a Sonic meeting.  If it's close, I'll come watch, but it looks like it's shaping up to be more of a slap fight, so no way I'm driving all the way to Alma for it. 

I'll be in VB calling a JR High game Thursday. If they will meet at the Alma Sonic at 9:30 I'll cruise on down and periscope it for you.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
It is pretty nice.

Frank Broyles would never have tolerated a football coach thinking he was untouchable, either.  To Broyles, everyone was touchable. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 01:15:50 pm
He has won three national championships in track and field. Don't forget the women. Are you sexist?

Three College World Series appearances to Frank's big goose egg in that time frame.

Also, isn't is Frank who ran off Nolan and countless others because dare them challenge his supremacy?

How many times have the Baseball Hogs made it to Omaha since Long was hired as AD??

By the way, Jeff Long didn't hire Dave Van Horn so he has nothing to do with baseball.

EastexHawg

Oh, I see you're counting women's sports now to try to pump up Jeff's resume.  That's awesome and it decreases the deficit to 19-3...appropriate considering Long is about one-sixth the AD Broyles was at a similar age.

Yes, Broyles fired Nolan once his program slipped and he was no longer reaching acceptable standards for Arkansas basketball.  That's one of the differences between Broyles and Long, that Broyles wouldn't accept poor performance on the field and fired those responsible for it.

Another of the differences is that Broyles moved Arkansas to the SEC and actually created the massive revenue stream that enriches the athletic department, while Long merely counts the money as it rolls in.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 24, 2017, 01:23:08 pm
Frank Broyles would never have tolerated a football coach thinking he was untouchable, either.  To Broyles, everyone was touchable
Including Lou Holtz, the only coach to even sniff at a NC since the big "Shootout" & 1964, and Kenny Hatfield, the winningest coach ever at Arkansas...  go figure...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 01:27:15 pm
Oh, I see you're counting women's sports now to try to pump up Jeff's resume.  That's awesome and it decreases the deficit to 19-3...appropriate considering Long is about one-sixth the AD Broyles was at a similar age.

Yes, Broyles fired Nolan once his program slipped and he was no longer reaching acceptable standards for Arkansas basketball.  That's one of the differences between Broyles and Long, that Broyles wouldn't accept poor performance on the field and fired those responsible for it.

Another of the differences is that Broyles moved Arkansas to the SEC and actually created the massive revenue stream that enriches the athletic department, while Long merely counts the money as it rolls in.
Excuses, excuses.

Frank Broyles, more overrated than Jim Harbaugh.

"But, but, but, I've posted over 23,000 on a message board daddy.  Does that not make me right?"
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Tusks

Man some are lost.  After Nolan left, JFB was about to hire Self and White told him no.  The UA ended up with Stan Heath.

JFB was negotiating salary with Tubbs when White said no and made them use the committee.  In a 'Trumponion' moment, HDN ran for the job and won the electrical college and became the HC.  I don't know that to do with those that won't accept this reality but it's what happened.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

EastexHawg

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 24, 2017, 01:32:00 pm
Excuses, excuses.

Frank Broyles, more overrated than Jim Harbaugh.

"But, but, but, I've posted over 23,000 on a message board daddy.  Does that not make me right?"

No, what makes me right is that I have nailed the Jeff Long/John L. Smith/Bret Bielema disaster from day one...and that I have forgotten more about Razorback sports than you'll ever know.  You thought your 1990-1997 argument was brilliant, but you brought a dull Swiss Army knife to a gunfight.

I'll take your latest whimper as a "sorry, man, now please let me slink off into the hole I came from".

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2017, 01:38:31 pm
No, what makes me right is that I have nailed the Jeff Long/John L. Smith/Bret Bielema disaster from day one...and that I have forgotten more about Razorback sports than you'll ever know.  You thought your 1990-1997 argument was brilliant, but you brought a dull Swiss Army knife to a gunfight.

I'll take your latest whimper as a "sorry, man, now please let me slink off into the hole I came from".
Oh, such a big and bad boy.

The argument is brilliant.

Your Almighty leader Frank was a sham the last 20 years of his career.  But you keep chanting "Heil Frank"!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 12:49:21 pm

You think a Hogville poll is valid? That's funny even in Guv world.

Inhogswetrust

Norm took a team all the way to the National championship game in the CWS and lost to Fullerton. That was way before Long got here.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 01:46:38 pm

You think a Hogville poll is valid? That's funny even in Guv world.

Since scores of folks that I've talked with agree with the way the majority on Hogville voted, I do indeed think the poll is valid. I know many who were solidly in Long's corner when he fired Bobby that have changed their minds about Long since then. I know you don't like it but many of the Hog faithful are starting to see the truth about Jeff Long.

hogsanity

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 24, 2017, 01:58:28 pm
Did I cry when Bobby P was fired?   No, because their is no crying in baseball.   But with that said I knew then we would not see that same winning he did and so far I'm right.     The day of the motorcycle accident me and my brother were laughing our asses off and then when we gained our senses , it was like........."Oh crap, here we go!"

People thought after JFB retired from the sidelines that we would not see that level of winning again, but we did twice with Holtz, two 10+ win seasons. Then when he left they said the same thing, but we did, Hatfield had 3 10+ win seasons. Then when he left they said the same thing, but Ford won a secw title, and then HDN had a 10+ season and some other pretty good years, then BP had two 10+  win seasons. Arkansas will have that type of season again, BP was not the only coach to have done it, and will not be the last to do it.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 01:58:40 pm
Since scores of folks that I've talked with agree with the way the majority on Hogville voted, I do indeed think the poll is valid. I know many who were solidly in Long's corner when he fired Bobby that have changed their minds about Long since then. I know you don't like it but many of the Hog faithful are starting to see the truth about Jeff Long.
What about the current poll where you are down 65% to 35%.

Do you accept those results? Hillary...
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Who is our Coach?

I agree with one poster who says it's remarkable how we can still debate the Petrino firing 5 years later.  I'm a bit embarrassed as to how much I engaged in it myself.  However, I think it stems from my belief that with all his faults, he was the perfect coach for our unique situation.  I felt the day he was fired that it would be near impossible to replicate.  Pretty clear that's accurate. 

And to respond to another poster about integrity.  It's not an all or nothing thing.  You're not completely in one camp (above all else, always do the right thing) or the other (just win, baby).  It's much more nuanced than that.  When I mentioned the SEC article earlier, that's what I was alluding to.  How firing him might have felt good, but for a guy whose most important job is what's best for the program, it night not have been the best decision.  Personally, I don't get my moral compass from the head football coach.  Integrity and doing things the right way strangely don't fall at the top of the list when donations are solicited.  Try it now and see how it goes.  Just sayin'.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 11:37:27 am
Bull. You've been crying and moaning and complaining ever since.

Must have confused me with someone else

Silver Hog

I trashed all my hog gear and lost about 80% interest.  Bert killed 19% of the rest.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 24, 2017, 01:58:28 pm
Did I cry when Bobby P was fired?   No, because their is no crying in baseball.   But with that said I knew then we would not see that same winning he did and so far I'm right.     The day of the motorcycle accident me and my brother were laughing our asses off and then when we gained our senses , it was like........."Oh crap, here we go!"

Both of those seasons can and will be matched or exceeded (should be exceeded) again.  What he did was great but not unreachable. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

phadedhawg

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 24, 2017, 02:22:58 pm
In that case, hope history repeats itself.    But JFB was a better AD than what we currently have.  I'm not feeling too optimistic right now that Long can get even a decent coach much less someone that can win a SEC title (or come close).

Even Saint Frank had some misses, Jack Crowe comes to mind, though he did fire him midseason so there's that.  Danny Ford was probably a smart hire but he didn't turn out well either.  I'd say Ford was Frank's "Bielema hire", looked great on paper but results didn't pan out. 

Hopefully the next coach will discover that we do have some talent and he has a season like Nutt's first year.

hogsanity

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 24, 2017, 02:26:34 pm
Even Saint Frank had some misses, Jack Crowe comes to mind, though he did fire him midseason so there's that.  Danny Ford was probably a smart hire but he didn't turn out well either.  I'd say Ford was Frank's "Bielema hire", looked great on paper but results didn't pan out. 

Hopefully the next coach will discover that we do have some talent and he has a season like Nutt's first year.

Former NC winning coach, could not win here. Coach that had just own 3 BIG10 titles can not win here.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 02:04:58 pm
People thought after JFB retired from the sidelines that we would not see that level of winning again, but we did twice with Holtz, two 10+ win seasons. Then when he left they said the same thing, but we did, Hatfield had 3 10+ win seasons. Then when he left they said the same thing, but Ford won a secw title, and then HDN had a 10+ season and some other pretty good years, then BP had two 10+  win seasons. Arkansas will have that type of season again, BP was not the only coach to have done it, and will not be the last to do it.

Say what you want but Bobby's last team at Arkansas finished with the highest National ranking (#5) since Lou Holtz's Orange Bowl winning Hogs finished #3 in the nation. That was the type of success that Hog football had not seen in over 30 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 02:29:16 pm
Say what you want but Bobby's last team at Arkansas finished with the highest National ranking (#5) since Lou Holtz's Orange Bowl winning Hogs finished #3 in the nation. That was the type of success that Hog football had not seen in over 30 years.

Pretty sure I acknowledged that, but ok. As I said it had been done before and it will be done again. That's been the history of this program, nothing, nothing, not much not much, BOOM BIG YEAR, not much not much, not much not much BOOM BIG YEAR, rinse and repeat.

toxichog

Quote from: harrisburghog on October 24, 2017, 07:15:35 am
Petrino did nothing illegal. Here's the link explaining it.

https://ogc.byu.edu/NACUANotes/NACUANote-2012May30.pdf

I do not believe that any "reasonable person" thinks that Arkansas could have kept Petrino as their coach.  Not because he had an affair......or even because he got caught and lied about it.  He put her on the payroll..........huge mistake.......whether is was taxpayer $ or Foundation donation $.........it is still RIDICULOUS.  He made plenty of money........why not just pay her yourself. 
Can you just imagine Petrino going into living rooms trying to convince players mama's that they should trust him to take care of their son .......instead of all those other coaches that are recruiting him?  TOUGH SELL.......