Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Search Firm's advice for Arkansas' next headcoach

Started by Hogwild, October 20, 2017, 09:26:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

USA Today- We've reached that time of year where athletics directors are quietly reaching out to search firms "just in case" there's a need to make a coaching change. Here at the firm of Wolken, Wolken and Wolken, we're offering a great deal this year: Our advice is 100% free of charge!

Though we can't list every name you should be looking at, we've saved you the time and trouble and narrowed it down to the candidate you should shoot for the moon to acquire, the candidate you could get tomorrow if your A-list superstar doesn't want the job, and finally, someone who would at least be entertaining if all else fails.

QuoteArkansas

Current coach: Bret Bielema (5th season, 27-30, Hot Seat)

Dream hire: Mike Gundy

Every year, there's just enough noise surrounding his relationship with the Oklahoma State administration and mega-booster T. Boone Pickens to make it seem like Gundy is ready to leave his alma mater. And every year, he pulls back from the brink and stays in his comfort zone. Gundy got a new contract this past summer to bring him above $4.2 million annually, so money won't really be a factor.

Gundy is just hard enough to make it worth asking, while realizing he's likely going to stay in Stillwater at the end of the day. But wouldn't it be fun to see his offense in the SEC? And in terms of a cultural fit, the Mulleted One would slide right in. After all, you can rattlesnake hunt just as well in Northwest Arkansas as you can in Northeast Oklahoma.

QuoteSensible hire: Mike Norvell

The 36-year old Memphis coach has grown up a lot since he was sporting corn rows as a wide receiver at Central Arkansas in the early 2000s. Though Justin Fuente got Memphis' program started as a power in the AAC, Norvell has taken it up a notch and has drawn notice from around the country this season for beating UCLA and Navy.

Though his system would need a little more attention to defense in the SEC, his offense has already been proven in a Power Five league when he was at Arizona State. His presence suggests a maturity beyond his years.

QuoteEntertainment value hire: Dana Holgorsen

Fill up those red Solo cups with Red Bull and get rocking. Holgorsen's offense is proven at the Power Five level, he's one of the best quotes in college football and he might just be gettable having probably hit the ceiling at West Virginia.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hogwild

They have him linked to Ole Miss

QuoteEntertainment value hire: Les Miles

It's clear the 63-year old Miles wants to get back in the game. And if Ole Miss' program is going to be set back significantly by NCAA sanctions, the situation might call for a well-respected caretaker. Frankly, given the number of milquetoast personalities among the current SEC coaching ranks, a landing spot for The Hat would be welcome for fans and scribes alike.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

theFlyingHog

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 20, 2017, 09:44:54 am
Just hire Norvell and be done with it.   

I'm beginning to think why the hell not.  He could be our Dabo.  Need a high energy guy that can change the culture quickly.  Just getting the team to believe in themselves again would be a big first step.  Want to get fans excited again in a hurry, bring an entertaining offense.  From Texas, played in state, cut his teeth coaching at Tulsa.  All good things.

Holgo would probably win here as well, and bring some crazy.  Would at least be more interesting than Jabba the Bert.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Joe_Shmo

Joe_Shmo

Oh...and Gundy has a son who attends Arkansas....so there's definitely one smart guy in the family.  ;)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tusks

It's going to be a roll of the dice anyway so why not try a roll the next Dabo.

One of these guys at the smaller schools is going to be the next great coach and why not at Arkansas.  The hogs are a destination school, or they used to be and there's not reason they can't be again.

An alma mater is the only thing I can see drawing a coach away from the UA.  That's the only thing I see as an issue with Brohm.  He was a QB at Louisville and that may be his dream job.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

tbhogfan

I don't see Gundy leaving OSU, but either of the other two would make great hires.  Particularly interested in Norvell.

Go Hogs!

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 10:12:29 am

One of these guys at the smaller schools is going to be the next great coach and why not at Arkansas.  The hogs are a destination school, or they used to be and there's not reason they can't be again.

An alma mater is the only thing I can see drawing a coach away from the UA.  That's the only thing I see as an issue with Brohm.  He was a QB at Louisville and that may be his dream job.

Who was the last "great coach " to go directly from his 1st hc job at a non p5 school to the p5 school where he was great? Urban had 2 non p5 hc gigs ( Utah was not in the Pac12 when he was there IIRC ). Saban went from non p5 to MSU to LSU.

Norvell is fine, he will provide the passing temp fix you add/adhd types need to keep your interest. HE will do about as good here as anyone else on averge, about 7 or 8 wins a year, but he is not the next Saban, at least mot here, cause he won't have the players. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hassettsportsman

Norvell is a dynastic building coach....it can't be any worse than the current builder!

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am
Who was the last "great coach " to go directly from his 1st hc job at a non p5 school to the p5 school where he was great? Urban had 2 non p5 hc gigs ( Utah was not in the Pac12 when he was there IIRC ). Saban went from non p5 to MSU to LSU.

Norvell is fine, he will provide the passing temp fix you add/adhd types need to keep your interest. HE will do about as good here as anyone else on averge, about 7 or 8 wins a year, but he is not the next Saban, at least mot here, cause he won't have the players.
What would you consider a "great coach?" I can name some really good ones but in all honesty, imo there are only a few great coaches out there. Id consider urban, dabo and saban the only ones that would be considered great. Id settle for a really good coach.

The NewEra

I wouldn't have a problem with hiring Norvell, but I would have a problem with them paying him $4MM a year.  If this is a destination job for him or any of the up and comers today then pay them $2-2.5MM tops and provide some heavy incentives based on several program winning metrics allowing him to make $5-6MM based on performance.  I've been beating this drum a lot, but the days of hiring Bielema's, Butch Jones, McElwain, Freeze, etc., making them fat dumb and happy regardless of the product they produce should be a thing of the past.  It's time to compensate coaches fairly and pay large amounts based on large accomplishments.  Someone needs to wake up and be smarter than the agents representing these coaches.

Norvell current compensation - 61st highest paid   Memphis   AAC   Mike Norvell   $1,800,000 all school paid    $570,000 bonus opportunity.

Also, our assistant coaches compensation should be upped to at least middle of the SEC giving whoever is the coach the opportunity to bring in the best assistants.

oldhawg

Didn't a search firm bring Pelphrey to Arkansas?  Does not always work out so well, but at least the firm made their money. 

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am

Depends on how you define great.

Peterson at Washington is on his way to building a program.  Herman at Texas will be one to watch.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogwild on October 20, 2017, 10:36:42 am

Peterson at Washington is on his way to building a program.  Herman at Texas will be one to watch.
you got him. The answer is Chris Peterson.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FutureMan

Gundy would be an absolutely amazing hire.  I think people fail to realize how good he really is.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Hogdomer

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 20, 2017, 10:24:43 am
What would you consider a "great coach?" I can name some really good ones but in all honesty, imo there are only a few great coaches out there. Id consider urban, dabo and saban the only ones that would be considered great. Id settle for a really good coach.

Great coaches: Urban, Saban, Gary Patterson and Bill Snyder.  First two are obvious.  Latter two have performed miracles given their respective schools.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 20, 2017, 10:53:58 am
Great coaches: Urban, Saban, Gary Patterson and Bill Snyder.  First two are obvious.  Latter two have performed miracles given their respective schools.

Id agree with those. Also with Petersen. There are some that others that are on their way.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on October 20, 2017, 10:36:42 am

Peterson has been a HC for 12 seasons.  Norvell has been a HC for 1 season and 7 games. No one knows what a program will look like once all the players are his own.

To me a "great" coach either does what Saban has done at Bama or goes somewhere that is usually so and so and turns them into a PERENNIAL winner. I am not saying the Hogs have to hire the next great coach, I am saying those who are deeming Norvell as the "next Great coach " really have nothing to base that on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Everybody contribute a dollar so we can purchase the necessary licenses and create the premier search firm of the South:

HOGVILLE EXECUTIVE CONSULTING LLC
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Tusks

Capturing lighting in a bottle is not easy, but you have to TRY.

GuvHog

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 10:12:29 am

The closest thing to getting the next Dabo would be to hire his DC as Hog HC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 10:56:53 am
But we all know Long ain't gonna pull the trigger and fire his boy Bielema.  Brett is going to win 5 or 6 games, feel a little heat, but in the end isn't going to be fired.

Instead of a search firm for a coach, maybe we should be more interested in a search firm for a new AD.  That is were the real problems is

Lord i hope this isnt true. Right now our recruiting class is outside of the top 50 so its not like its gonna be getting a whole lot better anytime soon.

hogsanity

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 10:56:53 am
But we all know Long ain't gonna pull the trigger and fire his boy Bielema.  Brett is going to win 5 or 6 games, feel a little heat, but in the end isn't going to be fired.

Instead of a search firm for a coach, maybe we should be more interested in a search firm for a new AD.  That is were the real problems is

Oh look another brand new poster who just so happens to, like all the "new" posters here, has to interject about firing Long in every thread.

So I will ask you, although I ma sure I have asked you before under one of your other screen names, what has Long done as AD that is so bad to warrant being fired? Keeping in mind his job is the make sure the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is well funded, in line with the NCAA, and is a good representation for the school. Just because the football team is not currently winning is not an indication the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is not doing well as a whole. Just because some of you think all the other athletes and teams are the UofA are worthless because they dont play fuhbawl, and your poor self esteem cant be stroked by what the football team does, is not an indication the AD is doing a bad job, and especially not worthy of being fired.

WalHog2018

Who would be the dream hire, sensible hire, and entertainment hire if Long is fired?

Tusks

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 11:00:30 am
The closest thing to getting the next Dabo would be to hire his DC as Hog HC.

My GUT tells me Norvell might be.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 11:00:26 am
Capturing lighting in a bottle is not easy, but you have to TRY.

This, can't let fear of failure keep you from making a change.  People that have achieved great things had failures along the way as well.  Schools that have hired exceptional coaches have done the same.  Jeremy Foley was a very well respected AD at Florida.  He was an associate AD at UF when Spurrier was hired.  They hired a relatively young guy from Duke, that had a total of 3 years HC experience at the college level but in those 3 years he took them from doormat to competitor.

His next hire as AD when Spurrier left:  Ron Zook.  That's a swing and a miss.  Zook had never been an HC before.  Ended up being a decent recruiter but not a great coach.  Zook got 3 years that was it.  Foley saw it was time to rectify the situation and followed the Spurrier example and hired a young guy with success at lower level schools in Urban Meyer.

Tusks

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am

I will let you have the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and i will take the football team.  That's the only one that matters.  They fund every other sport (excluding men's basketball which does a little better than break even). So yeah, you are right, there are a lot of other departments other than football that the AD has to *pass off* to other people in the athletic department.  But when the football team wins, it means more money to other sports programs. When the football team wins, it means more applicants to the U of A, which means higher revenues and many other benefits.  Football directly and indirectly has a major impact on  other sports and the university as a whole.  So I will give you the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and I will take the football team, and let me know how that works out for you.  The AD has to be like a CEO.  Long couldn't run a laundromat.

The current SEC exist because of football.  The money coming into all the SEC programs is because of football.  It's not about any other sport, not even basketball.  It's all about football.  Not saying you should ignore the other sports but the money maker and money driver is football.  You gotta take care of the golden goose.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 11:02:46 am
Oh look another brand new poster who just so happens to, like all the "new" posters here, has to interject about firing Long in every thread.

So I will ask you, although I ma sure I have asked you before under one of your other screen names, what has Long done as AD that is so bad to warrant being fired? Keeping in mind his job is the make sure the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is well funded, in line with the NCAA, and is a good representation for the school. Just because the football team is not currently winning is not an indication the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is not doing well as a whole. Just because some of you think all the other athletes and teams are the UofA are worthless because they dont play fuhbawl, and your poor self esteem cant be stroked by what the football team does, is not an indication the AD is doing a bad job, and especially not worthy of being fired.

It gets old doesn't it?  I don't even waste my time responding to them.

BoogaHog

Just curious, do you have any ties to the UA athletic department (whether former assistant, player) or any ties to the university as a graduate or prof.?  Trying to get a read on opinions and thought leadership....don't have to answer if you prefer not to... :)

Tusks

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 20, 2017, 11:14:11 am
This, can't let fear of failure keep you from making a change.  People that have achieved great things had failures along the way as well.  Schools that have hired exceptional coaches have done the same.  Jeremy Foley was a very well respected AD at Florida.  He was an associate AD at UF when Spurrier was hired.  They hired a relatively young guy from Duke, that had a total of 3 years HC experience at the college level but in those 3 years he took them from doormat to competitor.

His next hire as AD when Spurrier left:  Ron Zook.  That's a swing and a miss.  Zook had never been an HC before.  Ended up being a decent recruiter but not a great coach.  Zook got 3 years that was it.  Foley saw it was time to rectify the situation and followed the Spurrier example and hired a young guy with success at lower level schools in Urban Meyer.

Zook wasn't his first choice.  He went to OU and tried to hire Stoops but couldn't pull him away from OU.  I think Foley was surprised by that and had to settle for Zook.  He offered Stoops the job.  Stoops said on Bo's show that he still patterned a lot of his program after Spurrier. 

Kevin

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am

I will let you have the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and i will take the football team.  That's the only one that matters.  They fund every other sport (excluding men's basketball which does a little better than break even). So yeah, you are right, there are a lot of other departments other than football that the AD has to *pass off* to other people in the athletic department.  But when the football team wins, it means more money to other sports programs. When the football team wins, it means more applicants to the U of A, which means higher revenues and many other benefits.  Football directly and indirectly has a major impact on  other sports and the university as a whole.  So I will give you the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and I will take the football team, and let me know how that works out for you.  The AD has to be like a CEO.  Long couldn't run a laundromat.

baseball is a money maker
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 20, 2017, 10:41:31 am
you got him. The answer is Chris Peterson.
The USA Today article didn't mention Arkansas on the list for the guy you say we've already hired. I guess your sources are better than everyone's.

Kevin

with all the associate & assistant AD's on staff, 40 million guaranteed from the sec, it would take a real moron to be bad at that part of the job.

long's hiring's have been average at best. he has had to fire a lot of the coaches he has hired.

I believe he would be a great ad at a patriot league program, where academics are first & foremost. the problem is they don't pay as well.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

redleg

It's my understanding that it was going to be Gundy 5 years ago until Bret's love letter to Jeff Long, and Gundy backed out. I even heard it on 103.7 the Buzz, someone said the UofA was about to announce Gundy as the new head coach. Then they introduced Bielema.
I am not convinced Gundy would leave OSU, unless his relationship with their administration and T. Boone Pickens has deteriorated to the point that he is ready to leave.
Norvell would probably jump at the chance to coach Arkansas, and he's a young up and coming quality head coach.
I don't think I would want Dana. No defense, and he's mouthy.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The Hawg Marshal

You guys realize that this is not a search firm right? It's Dan Wolken's opinion, nothing more.

Tusks

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 20, 2017, 12:07:33 pm
You guys realize that this is not a search firm right? It's Dan Wolken's opinion, nothing more.

You do realize that HV can't hire and fire, it's just HV opinion?

The OTR

Got two things to say:

1.  Grundy ain't coming to Arkansas.

2.  We need to get Shula up here to get us a coach.  Forget a search firm.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 12:12:49 pm
You do realize that HV can't hire and fire, it's just HV opinion?
I totally get that. Some don't though.

The_Iceman

phadedhawg

Almost anyone will be an upgrade from what we currently have.

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 20, 2017, 12:13:48 pm
Got two things to say:

1.  Grundy ain't coming to Arkansas.

2.  We need to get Shula up here to get us a coach.  Forget a search firm.
Which Shula?

East Clintwood

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 20, 2017, 12:07:33 pm

Search firms charge a very hefty fee.  This guy spews his drivel for free.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The OTR

FATHAWG08

Norvell has might vote after last night's game with Houston. Memphis is down 17-0 at the half and scores 42 points in the second half to pull out a 42-38 win. When's the last time that has happen at Arkansas.
I love off season Football!!