Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in: Fuente

Started by razorbackred1, October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2017, 08:48:27 pm
Geoff Calkins, who writes for the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, knows Fuente from his days at Memphis. Calkins said last week that Fuente had no interest in coaching in the SEC.

This is what everyone needs to keep in mind. A new coach (potentially) coming to Arkansas only partly depends on Arkansas itself—and that part would look great to almost anyone. The problem starts at the point he looks at the upcoming football schedule.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Atlhogfan1

We make the job less attractive playing only 3 SEC home games every other year.  Enough of an uphill battle as it is.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogwild

We have no shot at Fuente.  We don't have the prestige or money to get him. He is at a better program and making a lot of money.

During the past 25 years, '92 the year we joined the SEC, Va Tech has won 7 conference titles and finished ranked in the top 25 18 times. Va Tech has made 8 trips to either the Sugar or Orange Bowls during that time period. While during the past 1/4 century, have a losing record in our conference over the same period.

QuoteFuente's pay for 2017 remains the same ($3.25 million) and increases after that. He stands to make $3.4 million in 2018, $3.5 million in 2019, $3.65 million in 2020, $3.75 million in 2021, $3.9 million in 2022 and $4 million in 2023 in base salary and supplemental compensation.
Fuente has a retention bonus of $200,000, payable on April 1, 2018, and $250,000, payable on April 1, 2020. His buyout figure remains $6 million in 2017

Hog Fan...DOH!

You'd think our fanbase would know by now how the coaching search deal works.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 10, 2017, 09:18:20 am
We have no shot at Fuente.  We don't have the prestige or money to get him. He is at a better program and making a lot of money.

During the past 25 years, '92 the year we joined the SEC, Va Tech has won 7 conference titles and finished ranked in the top 25 18 times. Va Tech has made 8 trips to either the Sugar or Orange Bowls during that time period. While during the past 1/4 century, have a losing record in our conference over the same period.

Switch conferences and VT wouldn't have won but maybe one - 1999 with Vick.  Although that 99 Bama team was on a roll at the end of the season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 05:29:47 am
I'm not going to be the Alabama coach............signed, Nick Saban.

I have no interest in any other job..............signed, a lot of coaches that did take another job.

I didn't say that Fuente has come out saying "I won't take the AR job", so I'm not sure why you're making that your argument.

VT is in Blacksburg, which is a big college in a small, close knit community, and from everything I've heard, he is in love with the Hokie community. Add that with the fact that VT is ranked and playing well. Why would he want to leave any time soon?

Who knows though? Crazier things have happened.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hoghiker

I foresee disappointment ahead for lots of folks. Reality is going to bite and it's going to hurt.

Hogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 09:22:11 am
Switch conferences and VT wouldn't have won but maybe one - 1999 with Vick.  Although that 99 Bama team was on a roll at the end of the season.

VA Tech has had 14 seasons with 10 wins or more. 7 times they finished in the top 10.  They played for a national title, then went 11-1 the following season.  I feel that would have won a few championships, if they were in the East they would likely have more trips to Atlanta then everyone aside from Florida.

jgphillips3

LSU and Florida have been left at the altar recently by the big names they thought they could get.  We need to find the next JFB.  A great up and comer who cherishes this job.  Forget the big names.  Just get someone innovative who maximizes the talent he has available.

Atlhogfan1

VT is automatically ranked each season.

This is what they have done so far:

Basic ViewBetting View
Date   Opponent   Result   Location   W/L   Conf
09/03   W Virginia   W 31-24   Neutral   1-0   0-0
09/09   Delaware   W 27-0   Home   2-0   0-0
09/16   E Carolina   W 64-17   Away   3-0   0-0
09/23   Old Dominion   W 38-0   Home   4-0   0-0
09/30   Clemson   L 17-31   Home   4-1   0-1
10/07   Boston Col   W 23-10   Away   5-1   1-1

Beaten one avg team, 4 overmatched teams and lost by 2 TDs when the score wasn't as bad as the actual buttkicking.  This is why VT is a good job.  Go to bowl each season playing these types of schedules and get ranked the next season because of what Vick did in 1999 and because ESPN loves your stadium entrance.  Fuente has it pretty good especially compared to our situation. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 10, 2017, 09:33:28 am
VA Tech has had 14 seasons with 10 wins or more. 7 times they finished in the top 10.  They played for a national title, then went 11-1 the following season.  I feel that would have won a few championships, if they were in the East they would likely have more trips to Atlanta then everyone aside from Florida.

A few? 

In the 90's, they would have had to have gotten past Spurrier's Florida and Fulmer's Tennessee with Manning and then the NC team with Martin.  They were building a program in the Big East when Miami was going through severe NCAA sanctions.

The SEC Champs in the years they won conf titles:

95 VT co champs BE, SEC CH#2 Florida
96 VT co champs BE, SEC CH #4 Florida
99 #7 Bama - The VT Vick team. Maybe
04 #3 AU - The season AU went unbeaten.
07 #5 LSU - eventual NC
08 #1 Bama - NC
10 #1 AU - NC

Hogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 09:35:57 am
This is why VT is a good job.  Go to bowl each season playing these types of schedules and get ranked the next season because of what Vick did in 1999 and because ESPN loves your stadium entrance.  Fuente has it pretty good especially compared to our situation.

Last year they won 10 games playing in the best conference in the country.  The also defeated Notre Dame in a non conference game and played two games against  SEC teams.  Their schedule is legit. 

Compare that to our schedule next year-
We have 4 OOC games against G5 cupcakes and play Missouri and Vandy from the East, and two Mississippi schools.  That should be an automatic 8 wins.

The Hawg Marshal

Honestly, we should probably hold off on all the replacement coach talk until we actually have an opening. There will be plenty of time for that if an opening should occur.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 10, 2017, 09:55:07 am
Last year they won 10 games playing in the best conference in the country.  The also defeated Notre Dame in a non conference game and played two games against  SEC teams.  Their schedule is legit. 

Compare that to our schedule next year-
We have 4 OOC games against G5 cupcakes and play Missouri and Vandy from the East, and two Mississippi schools.  That should be an automatic 8 wins.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/05/2016-college-football-strength-schedule-win-loss-method/

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/2017-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-espn-fpi/

They didn't play any of the top 4 teams from the other division- Clemson, FSU, Louisville or NC St - till losing to Clemson in the ACC CG.  ND finished 4-8 last season. 

Hogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 10:05:14 am
http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/05/2016-college-football-strength-schedule-win-loss-method/

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/2017-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-espn-fpi/

They didn't play any of the top 4 teams from the other division- Clemson, FSU, Louisville or NC St - till losing to Clemson in the ACC CG.  ND finished 4-8 last season.

Last season we only had one victory over a Power 5 team that finished with a winning record. Six of our 7 wins came against also rans.

We only played 5 teams from power conferences that finished with winning records. LSU, A&M, Auburn combined to finish 24-14 that includes 3 wins over us. 

I don't believe that VA Tech recent schedule  is that much different from ours, this isn't the SEC from 10 years ago.

Redhogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 10, 2017, 09:35:49 am
LSU and Florida have been left at the altar recently by the big names they thought they could get.  We need to find the next JFB.  A great up and comer who cherishes this job.  Forget the big names.  Just get someone innovative who maximizes the talent he has available.
X1000
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2017, 09:58:11 am
Honestly, we should probably hold off on all the replacement coach talk until we actually have an opening. There will be plenty of time for that if an opening should occur.
x1000
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2017, 09:58:11 am

Ok whatcha wanna talk about?

The over/under for this weeks game, our W/L record in the SEC the last 4 years?

Let's be honest this is the only decent thing to talk about in Hog football right now, the only aspect containing a shred of hope.

It's like an anesthetic for what we're about to experience this week and the rest of the season til Baby Huey is gone.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MissippHog on October 10, 2017, 06:50:46 am
And thanks for helping make mine. 
True that we got BP and BB, but how did/have those hires worked out? Just look at the conference's most recent hires though.  None of them were established head coaches prior to becoming the head coach at their current school.  I expect our next hire will be similar.  Possibly a coordinator at a P5 school or an up and comer head coach from the group of 5.

Hindsight is perfect vision. WHEN those tow hires happened they were both though around the country to be good hires except for the Bobby leaving early and having wander lust all the time. There is NEVER any way to know how any hires are going to work out whether established already or an up and comer. That being said I don't mind an up and comer so much IF an established successful head coach doesn't show up.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 10, 2017, 10:16:01 am
Last season we only had one victory over a Power 5 team that finished with a winning record. Six of our 7 wins came against also rans.

We only played 5 teams from power conferences that finished with winning records. LSU, A&M, Auburn combined to finish 24-14 that includes 3 wins over us. 

I don't believe that VA Tech recent schedule  is that much different from ours, this isn't the SEC from 10 years ago.

We were an average team.  Are you thinking I am suggesting we are a better program than VT?  I'm not.  What they are is an average program built to be consistent which allows them to continue winning enough games to continue to be average.  What they also are is the most overrated P5 program of the last 20 years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 10, 2017, 09:01:37 am
Get real dude. Fuentes is at a destination job.

Yes BUT maybe he doesn't think it is the ONLY destination job. People do lateral moves sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 10, 2017, 10:19:11 am
Ok whatcha wanna talk about?

The over/under for this weeks game, our W/L record in the SEC the last 4 years?

Let's be honest this is the only decent thing to talk about in Hog football right now, the only aspect containing a shred of hope.

It's like an anesthetic for what we're about to experience this week and the rest of the season til Baby Huey is gone.
Oh I'm not saying you can't talk about it.  It just seems like a waste of time considering it will be at least 2 months before anything is done , if anything is done. I guess 2 more months of debating Les Miles and Mike Leach is fine with me.lol

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogwild on October 10, 2017, 09:18:20 am

You never know. He is originally from Tulsa which is a lot closer to Fayetteville than Blacksburg. That might be important to him or not or perhaps other things could be. BUT neither of us know what he would think of a possible move.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 09, 2017, 08:46:42 pm
Virginia Tech is a better job than Arkansas.
not true...not even in the same ball park as Arkansas when the Hogs are good
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2017, 10:28:45 am
Oh I'm not saying you can't talk about it.  It just seems like a waste of time considering it will be at least 2 months before anything is done , if anything is done. I guess 2 more months of debating Les Miles and Mike Leach is fine with me.lol

I'm just doing anything to get my mind off the rest of the season and BB's mindless sideline looks while our wheels are falling off. 

I love my flat screen and never want to do it harm, but if I see another one of those looks, on gameday, it may very well fall victim to the collateral damage of an errant remote control toss. :o

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 10:26:31 am
Yes BUT maybe he doesn't think it is the ONLY destination job. People do lateral moves sometimes.
I'm as critical about the UA sports program. But if you think the UA is not a destination job, why do you think Bielema came down here from his cozy, secure job at Camp Randall ? The prestige of turning a once great program into a winner again in the vaunted SEC would tickle any coach's fancy. It's like making it big in New York City or Fresno, California. If you have ANY kind of ego you want to be the man in NYC. Plus, we have more money, better facilities and if the man succeeds, he would be playing on national TV every Saturday.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 10, 2017, 10:36:15 am
I'm just doing anything to get my mind off the rest of the season and BB's mindless sideline looks while our wheels are falling off. 

I love my flat screen and never want to do it harm, but if I see another one of those looks, on gameday, it may very well fall victim to the collateral damage of an errant remote control toss. :o
Man, that's small fry, we have a large window in the den where the large flattie resides and when we lost to A&M the year Skipper leg-whipped an Aggy taking the touchdown we made on run from midfield off the board. We failed to score that TD which would have put the game out of reach. When the final whistle blew on that game some 3 years ago, I had 4 medium size Smuckers jelly jars. One strawberry, one blackberry, one cherry and one blueberry. Each one of them went through the plate glass window.  Needless to say, I regretted doing it as soon as my rigor left my body. All I could hear was my wife gnawing on my behind. I will NEVER do anything like that again, dude, those boys on the hill on any of the Hog teams are not worth a cool thousand dollars.

redneckfriend

Really, what coach with a hot name and resume is going to want to come to Arkansas- look what happened to the last one. Arkansas plays in the most brutal conference in all of college football and has a recruiting base that is among the worst in the SEC. It is a job killer for coaches. Arkansas, if they want someone with head coaching experience, will need to hire a coach at an obscure non-P5 program or a D-II coach, otherwise it is a coordinator. There is no amount of money in the world that will tempt a coach, with his choice of openings, to come to Arkansas and subject himself to the obloquy that results from failure to satisfy the fan base demand for 8+ wins a year and in the end have his career trashed.

Now I don't think Bielema can get the job done and he needs to go but I'm really not sure who can get the job done as long as Arkansas remains in the SEC. Arkansas should move to the Big 12- which will help in their natural recruiting ground of east Texas.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 10, 2017, 10:46:13 am
Man, that's small fry, we have a large window in the den where the large flattie resides and when we lost to A&M the year Skipper leg-whipped an Aggy taking the touchdown we made on run from midfield off the board. We failed to score that TD which would have put the game out of reach. When the final whistle blew on that game some 3 years ago, I had 4 medium size Smuckers jelly jars. One strawberry, one blackberry, one cherry and one blueberry. Each one of them went through the plate glass window.  Needless to say, I regretted doing it as soon as my rigor left my body. All I could hear was my wife gnawing on my behind. I will NEVER do anything like that again, dude, those boys on the hill on any of the Hog teams are not worth a cool thousand dollars.

Yowza!!!!!

No definitely not, and my wife would never let me live something like that down.

I usually just take out my frustrations on a bottle of bourbon and call it good. :)

HotlantaHog

Arkansas and Virginia Tech seem about equal jobs.

Pluses to move:
1. Arkansas will give you at least five years, has proved that consistently with struggling coaches.
2. Great facilities, some reasonable financial resources.
3. No longer following a legend at Virginia Tech which is always a bit difficult. Virginia Tech will always be about Beemer.
4. Fayetteville > Blacksburg.

Minuses:
1. Recruiting is difficult at Arkansas, though maybe not much different than Va. Tech.
2. SEC West is hard to win in, especially with Saban at Alabama.
3. If you wait probably better options to go to eventually.
4. Much of ACC is subpar, easy pickings. (Though that is changing.)

razoredge178

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 10, 2017, 09:35:49 am

Matt Campbell- Iowa State, Rutgers

redneckfriend

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 10, 2017, 10:38:34 am
I'm as critical about the UA sports program. But if you think the UA is not a destination job, why do you think Bielema came down here from his cozy, secure job at Camp Randall ? The prestige of turning a once great program into a winner again in the vaunted SEC would tickle any coach's fancy. It's like making it big in New York City or Fresno, California. If you have ANY kind of ego you want to be the man in NYC. Plus, we have more money, better facilities and if the man succeeds, he would be playing on national TV every Saturday.

I'm sorry but the days of the "once great program" are 40 years in the rear view mirror. The reality is today and trying to be a perineal top 10 team in the SEC west isn't feasible. And let me add one more inconvenient truth here- the days when Arkansas was "great" were, for the most part, before black athletes became dominant in the SEC. If you check the demographics of the SEC states you will get an even better idea of why Arkansas recruiting is so dismal than just by looking at state population. One other fact that may be of some significance- Arkansas' heyday was in the SWC and that gave Arkansas access to Texas recruiting grounds that it doesn't have in the SEC.

Bielama came here because things weren't working out at Wisconsin, because Long sold him a bill of goods and because, at bottom, he is an idiot.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: razorbackred1 on October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm
He took over a Memphis program that had given serious consideration to abolishing the football program , there were only 55 players on scholarship, Memphis 4 previous years record 11-38, his last 2 years 10-3 and 9-3, a great person, an outstanding coach, would be a great asset to the Razorback program

I agree, and have said so here last year, that Fuentes is probably the best new coach to D1 to come along in a while.  But I don't think he is going to be in any hurry to jump ship at Va Tech.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 04:06:26 am
No it isn't. Equal.

Last 25 years

Arkansas is 167-137-2
Va Tech is 226-93-1

It isn't equal.  Not even close.  I would argue any benefit we have prior to 1992, which is substantial, is offset by the fact that we will continue to have to play in the SEC (see the last 25 years).  If I'm a Power 5 coach who wants to test my skills in the SEC, I'm looking at LSU, Bama, Georgia, and Florida.  No one else.

If I'm looking at the ACC, I'll look at Va Tech, Clemson, FSU, and Miami.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 11:46:43 am
Last 25 years

Arkansas is 167-137-2
Va Tech is 226-93-1

It isn't equal.  Not even close.  I would argue any benefit we have prior to 1992, which is substantial, is offset by the fact that we will continue to have to play in the SEC (see the last 25 years).  If I'm a Power 5 coach who wants to test my skills in the SEC, I'm looking at LSU, Bama, Georgia, and Florida.  No one else.

If I'm looking at the ACC, I'll look at Va Tech, Clemson, FSU, and Miami.

Those numbers are based on who the coaches were. Get the right coach and anything can happen. THAT's what happened at VT with Frank. Those numbers do not necessarily tell which job is better. It only shows VT had a better coach most of that time.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 09:22:11 am

see here's the thing, they aren't coming into the SEC and we aren't leaving

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 11:49:06 am
Those numbers are based on who the coaches were. Get the right coach and anything can happen. THAT's what happened at VT with Frank. Those numbers do not necessarily tell which job is better. It only shows VT had a better coach most of that time.

hey coach, we think you can do what Crowe, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, Johnelle, and Bielema couldn't do, vs.
hey coach, Beamer built us up in an easy Big East, but he maintained it in the ACC and now so is Fuentes.

Oh, did we mention the last guy to do it, Hatfield, was ran out of town because he had a boring style?

equal pay - where are you going to go?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 11:55:16 am
hey coach, we think you can do what Crowe, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, Johnelle, and Bielema couldn't do, vs.
hey coach, Beamer built us up in an easy Big East, but he maintained it in the ACC and now so is Fuentes.

Oh, did we mention the last guy to do it, Hatfield, was ran out of town because he had a boring style?

What makes you think every job is about paying more. These guys make so much it really isn't always about that. How do you know he loves it there so much he'll want to stay there forever and not consider any other job even it it is for equal pay. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 11:55:16 am

Hatfield had pressure because he choked vs Texas too often when they were down, in bowls although that is our history and refused to make changes as the game changed. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 11:57:33 am
What makes you think every job is about paying more.

What in the world are you talking about?  I ignored compensation because they are basically equal

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 11:57:33 am
What makes you think every job is about paying more. These guys make so much it really isn't always about that. How do you know he loves it there so much he'll want to stay there forever and not consider any other job even it it is for equal pay. 

ok, so now you are agreeing with me?  Va Tech might just be a better job because of those factors.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 11:59:33 am
Hatfield had pressure because he choked vs Texas too often when they were down, in bowls although that is our history and refused to make changes as the game changed. 

hopefully we learned our lesson

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 12:01:37 pm
ok, so now you are agreeing with me?  Va Tech might just be a better job because of those factors.

It is certainly safer and Fuentes would be foolish to leave it for us unless he needs to get out for some reason. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 12:00:21 pm
What in the world are you talking about?  I ignored compensation because they are basically equal

No they aren't. Look up the current coaches pay for both. Unless Justin got a huge raise I'm unaware of then Bret make about $1,000,000 more.  You DID mention equal pay and that's why I said what I said. That isn't always the issue or reason one leaves or takes job. And at this time they aren't even equal. Now he could potentially show interest or interview just to get VT to pay him more. Happens all the time.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 12:04:01 pm
It is certainly safer and Fuentes would be foolish to leave it for us unless he needs to get out for some reason. 

exactly, and if he's looking to get out, UCLA, LSU, Nebraska all look more appealing than Arkansas.  That sucks, but it's reality.  I didn't mention TN on purpose.  I think they are a better program right now, but can't imagine walking into those expectations if I'm looking for an out somewhere else.

Inhogswetrust

October 10, 2017, 12:07:48 pm #95 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:35:59 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 12:01:37 pm

Coaches leave or take other jobs for a variety of reasons. Location, pay, etc. We have no clue if he would be interested or not. We can only contact his people to see if he is our isn't. VT is not a better job. It is about equal and only that way because Frank made it that way there.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 12:04:34 pm
No they aren't. Look up the current coaches pay for both. Unless Justin got a huge raise I'm unaware of then Bret make about $1,000,000 more.  You DID mention equal pay and that's why I said what I said. That isn't always the issue or reason one leaves or takes job. And at this time they aren't even equal. Now he could potentially show interest or interview just to get VT to pay him more. Happens all the time.

$3.2 vs $4.1 - if he's looking for more money he's close enough he can get it at Va Tech without having to jump to AR

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 12:07:48 pm
Coaches leave or take other jobs for a variety of reasons. Location, pay, etc. We have no clue if he would be interested or not. We can only contact his people to see if he is our isn't. VT is not a better job it is about equal and only that way because Frank made it that way.

Man I wish that was true, but Fuente is about 41 years and old has no memory of those good times you are reminiscing over.  Now, I could be wrong.  Ole Bret sure made the jump and I didn't expect that.  I'm guessing he's having jumper's remorse about right now...

wildturkey8

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 10:26:31 am
I detect sarcasm in Texas Tush's post.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 12:06:01 pm
exactly, and if he's looking to get out, UCLA, LSU, Nebraska all look more appealing than Arkansas.  That sucks, but it's reality.  I didn't mention TN on purpose.  I think they are a better program right now, but can't imagine walking into those expectations if I'm looking for an out somewhere else.

You have no clue what ANY individual coach finds appealing or not and you really have no clue how good the Arkansas job can be. Ask yourself why a three time Rose Bowl participating coach at a good school would leave there to come here. Maybe he wanted to get out from under Alvarez or maybe not. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe the SEC versus the Big 10 and the challenges it presented. Maybe his coach and mentor Hayden Fry said the Arkansas job is really good. You are stuck on the words "right now" for reasons YOU think are valid. Coaches may or may not agree with your reasons.