Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in: Fuente

Started by razorbackred1, October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

October 25, 2017, 06:00:03 am #150 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:11:37 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 05:54:42 am
I'll just say this.  On another board they are saying that Bob Stoops talked to Long and some others when he was in town last week and what he told them really has them setting their sights much higher now. 

As for Virginia and Arkansas, I always found Virginia to be too pretentious.  And man, do they drive bad.  I did used to run into Howie Long at a little barbershop in Charlottesville.  For a month or two, we were on the same haircut schedule it seemed like.
That would be great.

NOVA and the old white money in C'ville is pretentious for sure.  As far as the driving goes, everywhere I have ever lived, people say the worst drivers are from X and it has never been the same.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgon

Virginia is also too crowded.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 06:05:40 am
Virginia is also too crowded.
I guess that depends on where you live and what your tastes are.  I love it there and am not seeing anything I would consider crowded compared to my last two assignments in Colorado Springs and Albuquerque.  Up north I agree, but NOVA is more DC than it is Virginia and the rest of Virginia is much different.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hawgon

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 06:10:19 am
I guess that depends on where you live and what your tastes are.  I love it there and am not seeing anything I would consider crowded compared to my last two assignments in Colorado Springs and Albuquerque.  Up north I agree, but NOVA is more DC than it is Virginia and the rest of Virginia is much different.

Even in the so-called sticks there were too many people.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 06:14:24 am
Even in the so-called sticks there were too many people.
Out of the 8 million plus people in Virginia, almost 7 million of them live in NOVA, the Virginia Beach area, Charlottesville, Blacksburgh, Staunton, Harrisonburg and Richmond.  That leaves a lot of land to soak up the other 1+ million.  Virginia is not much different than Arkansas, just a much better geographical location.  That is why my family and I love it there.  Definitely more people than Arkansas (most places are) but the closest thing I have had to it, since I moved out of the state in 1994.  I have definitely lived in areas with a much more dense population (no pun intended).

hawgon

See those different shades.  Notice how almost all the rural areas in Arkansas are a lighter shade than almost all the rural areas in Virginia.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jst01 on October 23, 2017, 01:27:25 am
Not sure why someone would leave a good place in a good conference to come take on the challenge of winning here. In my opinion, coaches aren't dying to come coach in the SEC just bc it's the SEC. And every school can pay coaches $3.5MM+ now.

Not everyone is a lazy POS. I'm just sayin'...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 23, 2017, 08:05:47 am
True. I moved to California for college and now live near Blacksburg. I love Arkansas as it's where I call home, but the "Razorback Love is unmatched cuz we don't have any pro teams" isn't accurate. Hokie culture is pretty awesome and the mention that Fuentes would leave them just cuz...what? Cuz we're in the SEC?

If we were winning and fired a coach like LSU cuz their coach has only won a National Championship 5 years ago and only won 10 games, then yes, we'd be attracting top level coaches and would be able to pull them from decent organizations. But lets at least be realistic - Arkansas is tough to recruit and we're already in a hole.

I'm afraid our best options are going to have to be coached with Arkansas ties or an solid assistant and hope he's a good head coach.

There's sooo much wrong with this post, but like most of you I am a lazy POS and don't want to point out your circular logic and false conclusions...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgon

And as for Fuente and Arkansas I have some thoughts.  Coaches probably don't care that much where they live.  If they are doing things right, they mostly see the local area in the dark on the way to the team facility and back home.  But their wives?  While the coach is at the office 15 or 16 hours a day, the wife is at home and after the kids get off to school, she is in her own.

I can definitely see a young wife wanting to be back home to where she is an easy drive from her parents, her childhood and college friends, and all those familiar things she knows.

Maybe she loves VT and is having a great time, but I wouldn't completely discount the thinking that a guy and more importantly his wife, wouldn't  want to come home for a little more money and arguably...very arguably a slightly better job.  He might ultimately decide against it, but I almost guarantee that he would take the phone call.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Kig on October 23, 2017, 02:44:45 am
Why would he leave for a worse Job? 

Because it isn't. Coaches move for various reasons. Money, family, location, tradition, challenge, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 04:12:59 am
Lateral career move at BEST.  Sorry but Virginia > Arkansas.  Far too many Arkansas fans live in some sort of fantasy world about what ADs and coaches we can attract

I've lived and worked in Virginia twice. Richmond and Roanoke. It is not > Arkansas. It is a nice place. It is actually similar to Arkansas with more people.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 07:38:50 am
I grew up in Arkansas and have been all over the world, since I graduated.  Like you, I loved it when I lived there but after leaving, I realized how small and how far removed it was from anything and everything.  Virginia on the other hand is central to a so much more.  I live in Charlottesville (central VA) and I am 2 hrs from DC/Baltimore, 6 from NYC, 1.3 from Richmond, 2.3 from Virginia Beach and all the NASCAR a person could want (Richmond, Martinsville, Bristol).  My daughter is a Jr at VT and I cannot imagine anyone leaving there for Arkansas. Hell my last two assignments were Colorado and Virginia and I would put Arkansas behind both.  I love my home state, but that is because that is where I am from, but the reality is that the rest of the world does not see it like we do and while some delusional fans see it as a destination job, is it really?

Me and my wife did and I know others that left. Where people live and WANT to live can be due to a LOT of variables and factors. For example you obviously like Nascar and like living close to where you can easily see it. I could care less about it. DC/Baltimore is great for tourist but not to live in so being close to them is not a factor for me. Virginia Beach? If you have seen one east coast beach you've seen them all. They are mostly Blah. Besides as beaches go VB is very seasonal and when in season it's way to crowded and touristy. Richmond has become ridiculous with traffic and it was bad when I lived there. Charlottesville is WAY to liberal and snotty with UVA there. And don't forget the high cost of living in some parts of VA.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on October 23, 2017, 05:18:50 am
Virginia Tech is a way better job and way easier place to recruit to then Arkansas.

Blacksburg is not better than Fayetteville. They are closer to a larger number of recruits though.

Inhogswetrust

October 25, 2017, 08:24:50 am #163 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:34:57 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Tortfeasor on October 23, 2017, 07:21:08 am
+1. I moved from Arkansas over 15 years ago, and while it is my home and I love it, the perception of the State by others is not good...outside of duck hunting.

Couple that with coaches not jumping to coach in the SEC anymore, most coaches named on here are a fantasy.

I've been all over the country and part of the world. The only time I've seen people with a bad perception of Arkansas is in tejas and Florida. I'll be in San Jose ion the heart of silicon valley this weekend and I go there a lot. Have NEVER had anyone there make fun of Arkansas in a serious or joking way and I've been there with people from all over the world. Interestingly most make fun of themselves not others.

Redhogs

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 12:02:50 am
I think that is why I hate hearing the names of older retreads (i.e. Gus, Les, Butch, Richt), I want someone with some fire in their gut and something to prove.  Same reason I always preferred to have a younger Airman working for me vs a salty troop
Agree 1000% and very strongly. Throwing out these old retreads in scary and intellectually lazy..
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 12:02:50 am
I think that is why I hate hearing the names of older retreads (i.e. Gus, Les, Butch, Richt), I want someone with some fire in their gut and something to prove.  Same reason I always preferred to have a younger Airman working for me vs a salty troop
Agree 1000% and very strongly. Throwing out these old retreads in scary and intellectually lazy..

PLHawg

He is not going to leave VT, everyone just needs to get that out of their mind.  VT is a destination job, maybe not a top 10, but a destination job nonetheless.  I can't imagine what we'd offer him that he doesn't have there already, unless we wanted him so bad we were willing to open the checkbook and write out a ridiculous sum.  I think your realistic options are Norvell, Morris, maybe Campbell, possibly Malzahn.  I don't think Brohm will leave Syracuse after just one year, everyone's going to want Frost - think we'll be down his list.

oldman1015

Only an Arkansas fan would think he would leave Va. Tech for us. Much safer job with 2 tough games per year.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Redhogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 08:12:13 am
Me and my wife did and I know others that left. Where people live and WANT to live can be due to a LOT of variables and factors. For example you obviously like Nascar and like living close to where you can easily see it. I could care less about it. DC/Baltimore is great for tourist but not to live in so being close to them is not a factor for me. Virginia Beach? If you have seen one east coast beach you've seen them all. They are mostly Blah. Besides as beaches go VB is very seasonal and when in season it's way to crowded and touristy. Richmond has become ridiculous with traffic and it was bad when I lived there. Charlottesville is WAY to liberal and snotty with UVA there. And don't forget the high cost of living in some parts of VA.
You are correct...many factors go into where someone lives...hell they got Saban to Tuscaloosa.

Redhogs

Quote from: oldman1015 on October 25, 2017, 08:29:40 am
Only an Arkansas fan would think he would leave Va. Tech for us. Much safer job with 2 tough games per year.
Reporters in Memphis have reported he said when he was there that he would never coach ANYWHERE in the SEC....FWIW.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PLHawg on October 25, 2017, 08:29:15 am
He is not going to leave VT, everyone just needs to get that out of their mind.  VT is a destination job, maybe not a top 10, but a destination job nonetheless.  I can't imagine what we'd offer him that he doesn't have there already, unless we wanted him so bad we were willing to open the checkbook and write out a ridiculous sum.  I think your realistic options are Norvell, Morris, maybe Campbell, possibly Malzahn.  I don't think Brohm will leave Syracuse after just one year, everyone's going to want Frost - think we'll be down his list.

VT is no more of a destination job than Arkansas. Also Brohm isn't coaching at Syracuse. The coach there is Dino Barbers. That bingo said have you ever been to upstate New York in the winter? Ever hear the words "bitter cold"? Plus the snow is unbelievable. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 08:35:29 am
VT is no more of a destination job than Arkansas.
You are right, neither one is a destination job, so why leave one for the other, for the same pay but stiffer competition?

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 08:35:29 am
VT is no more of a destination job than Arkansas.

Fuente is only their 2nd coach since 1987, we would be hiring our 10th since then.  Plus with Fuente's contract it would cost too much to get him.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 08:12:13 am
That is 100% correct and people assuming just because a coach has family in Tusla, he would prefer the Arkansas job might be WAY off base.  You never know and that is my point.  I am one example of someone that loves it there and would never leave it for Arkansas and just to be closer to my family and you are the opposite.  It is foolish to assume what motivates a coach to take a job.

Inhogswetrust

October 25, 2017, 08:46:38 am #174 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:59:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 08:41:54 am
You are right, neither one is a destination job, so why leave one for the other, for the same pay but stiffer competition?

Ask any coach leaving for any job. They all have their own reasons. A lot of coaches make moves for reasons you or I might not agree with or know all of the factors that caused them to move.

hawgon

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 08:45:27 am
That is 100% correct and people assuming just because a coach has family in Tusla, he would prefer the Arkansas job might be WAY off base.  You never know and that is my point.  I am one example of someone that loves it there and would never leave it for Arkansas and just to be closer to my family and you are the opposite.  It is foolish to assume what motivates a coach to take a job.

Hasn't anyone assumed anything except you.  He might be open to listening to Arkansas because it is very close to home.  That's it.  He should get a call.

Inhogswetrust

October 25, 2017, 08:54:30 am #176 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:07:07 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 08:45:27 am
I left Virginia to move back to Arkansas to be closer to my parents who weren't getting any younger as well as my wife's family. We loved living in Richmond but it was starting to get very crowded and crime was getting worse. Ironically we later moved to Memphis. Go figure. We will be in San Jose starting tomorrow and all weekend. Our son lives there and has a great job except the constant travel. He would love moving to Memphis to be closer to all his family and have a less hectic, less costly lifestyle. The main problem is our granddaughters school and that would also take his wife farther away from her family in Japan which is easier and quicker to travel to from CA. Plus she hates winter and cold. Even when it isn't real bad as in Memphis. My guess is they stay in San Jose unless his company tries to force him to move to Taiwan or Japan. Even his wife doesn't want to go there permanently.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 08:51:35 am
Hasn't anyone assumed anything except you.  He might be open to listening to Arkansas because it is very close to home.  That's it.  He should get a call.
I am not assuming anything but the fact that he is from Tulsa has been thrown out a lot as a selling point.  Is it?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 08:54:30 am
I left Virginia to move back to Arkansas to be closer to my parents who weren't getting any younger as well as my wife's family. We loved living in Richmond but it was starting to get very crowded and crime was getting worse. Ironically we later moved to Memphis. Go figure. We will be in San Jose starting tomorrow and all weekend. Our son lives there and has a great job except the constant travel. He would love moving to Memphis to be closer to all his family and have a less hectic, less costly lifestyle. To main problem is our granddaughters school and that would also take his wife farther away from her family in Japan which is easier and quicker to travel to from CA. Plus she hates winter and cold. Even when it isn't real bad as in Memphis. My guess is they stay in San Jose unless his company tries to force him to move to Taiwan or Japan. Even his wife doesn't want to go there permanently.

We toured VCU with my oldest before she decided on VT and I could never live in Richmond.  Charlottesville is as big of a town that I want to live close to and I still want to live 15-30 miles away from that.  I love the little mountains there, because they remind me of the Ozarks I grew up in.

I did love the four years I lived in Japan, but I lived way up north and there it is similar to Arkansas as well.  Only time I went to Tokyo is to fly in and out of the country.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 09:00:21 am
I am not assuming anything but the fact that he is from Tulsa has been thrown out a lot as a selling point.  Is it?

Depends on how much he values being close to "home". To a lot of people that is very important. To the right person it could be the only selling point needed.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 09:02:25 am
Depends on how much he values being close to "home". To a lot of people that is very important. To the right person it could be the only selling point needed.
Very true but there is a reason that many also want to move away and settle down.  Hogville likes to assume that whatever will bring a coach to us, is actually what they want.  Maybe it is but maybe it isn't

Slater

VT has been a better football school since the mid 90's, he is not leaving for Arkansas
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 09:02:20 am

We toured VCU with my oldest before she decided on VT and I could never live in Richmond.  Charlottesville is as big of a town that I want to live close to and I still want to live 15-30 miles away from that.  I love the little mountains there, because they remind me of the Ozarks I grew up in.

I did love the four years I lived in Japan, but I lived way up north and there it is similar to Arkansas as well.  Only time I went to Tokyo is to fly in and out of the country.

Our daughter in law is from Mikawa a village close to Sakata. It's on the western side of Honshu and kind of north a little. Her Dad is a rice farmer. It's a long ways from Tokyo.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 10:06:05 pm
Very true but there is a reason that many also want to move away and settle down.  Hogville likes to assume that whatever will bring a coach to us, is actually what they want.  Maybe it is but maybe it isn't

Agree with that but you have to admit going home can be a big attraction most of the time. We have been able to pull coaches away from some other good jobs and places before. Never know until you ask.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2017, 04:35:39 am
Agree with that but you have to admit going home can be a big attraction most of the time. We have been able to pull coaches away from some other good jobs and places before. Never know until you ask.
Ture, but never assume

hawgon

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 26, 2017, 06:02:44 am
Ture, but never assume

Once again, you are the only one assuming. 

Art Vandelay

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 09:02:20 am

Do you work for the Charlottesville tourism board or something?  You're pushing this place like you get paid if we visit.

I have a good friend that moved to Charlottesville several years ago and said he liked it. But when another opportunity opened up in Little Rock he was on the first thing smoking back home.

Just because you love a place doesn't mean everyone else does.  I highly doubt that Fuente would come to UA but we don't know his desires and motivation so he should get a call.

I think OU would be a lot more likely to get him if the  Lincoln Riley experiment doesn't work out. He got off to a great start but it has been shakey ever since.

Dropkick

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 26, 2017, 02:14:31 pm
This thread needs to die!  Justin Fuente is not leaving VT after only being there 2 years!  It's not going to happen, it's nonsense, and it's not even realistic!
This settles it, tell Jeff to not even give Fuentes a call.

DoctorSusscrofa

Lots of people are offering Justin Fuente. But the ones offering him are not Justin Fuente.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

tzthib

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 05:54:42 am
I'll just say this.  On another board they are saying that Bob Stoops talked to Long and some others when he was in town last week and what he told them really has them setting their sights much higher now. 

As for Virginia and Arkansas, I always found Virginia to be too pretentious.  And man, do they drive bad.  I did used to run into Howie Long at a little barbershop in Charlottesville.  For a month or two, we were on the same haircut schedule it seemed like.

I live in Northern Virginia (NoVA) and would agree with this. Virginia has more history than Arkansas, but if I had to choose between Blacksburg, Charlottesville, or Northwest AR I would pick Fayetteville. Saying Blacksburg is close to Washington is like saying Fayetteville is close to Dallas.

I'd say people here actually underestimate Arkansas's attractiveness. Cost of living, scenery, and pace of life are all pretty nice in Arkansas, ESPECIALLY if you have money.

hawgon

Quote from: tzthib on October 26, 2017, 03:13:59 pm
I live in Northern Virginia (NoVA) and would agree with this. Virginia has more history than Arkansas, but if I had to choose between Blacksburg, Charlottesville, or Northwest AR I would pick Fayetteville. Saying Blacksburg is close to Washington is like saying Fayetteville is close to Dallas.

I'd say people here actually underestimate Arkansas's attractiveness. Cost of living, scenery, and pace of life are all pretty nice in Arkansas, ESPECIALLY if you have money.

Virginia is the first place in my life where I was aware of a class system.  It never occurred to me growing up in Arkansas and Texas.  I phrased it thusly.  In Arkansas and Texas there might be people who objected to me dating their daughters because they didn't like me or thought I didn't make enough money or was part of some outlaw family or something like that.  But Virginia was the first place I had ever been where someone might find me objectionable because of who I WAS NOT.

jcbville

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 26, 2017, 02:14:31 pm
This thread needs to die!  Justin Fuente is not leaving VT after only being there 2 years!  It's not going to happen, it's nonsense, and it's not even realistic!

You always talk like youre yelling.

PigPusher

Since we are still bantering names of coaches around I thought I would make one more comment in regards to Coach Fuente.  My son went to Union High School when Justin was the quarterback there. He had as his coach and mentor one of the best high school coaches around, Coach Blankenship. The point being that Coach Blankenship has made the remark that Coach Fuente was one of the brightest young minds he ever had the pleasure to coach. He said even at age 17 his understanding of the game was very much advanced past his young age. Seems Justin might just have one of those minds that is serving him well as we are seeing.

I do not know whether the Razorbacks would ever make a run at him. It is also possible that Justin would not, as some have strongly suggested, be interested in Arkansas. But even if he isn't it is not a good reason to just throw him away. With that if I had a choice I would absolutely keep in mind.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Pork Twain

Quote from: commonnonsense on October 26, 2017, 06:53:06 am
Just because you love a place doesn't mean everyone else does.  I highly doubt that Fuente would come to UA but we don't know his desires and motivation so he should get a call.

This has been my Devil's advocate point all along.  FAR too many on here assume they know what motivates coach X to make his next move.  In my time here I have discovered that is more likely false than true.  There are good points that can be made for almost any place you live and most of those depend on the individual.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ghost Writer in the Sty on October 23, 2017, 05:10:42 am

Convincing win over Notre Dame????  The only team with a win over ND is Georgia and it was far from convincing, just one point.

PigPusher doesn't let facts get in his way.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tortfeasor on October 23, 2017, 07:21:08 am
+1. I moved from Arkansas over 15 years ago, and while it is my home and I love it, the perception of the State by others is not good...outside of duck hunting.

Couple that with coaches not jumping to coach in the SEC anymore, most coaches named on here are a fantasy.

Don't forget fishing...

As for coaches at Arkansas, they don't have to live anywhere in Arkansas but Fayetteville.  I can assure you it's an excellent place to live!

GolfnHog

Quote from: presidenthog on October 25, 2017, 12:15:06 am
The only selling point I can see is that he is from Tulsa and he would be very close to home.

In the perfect pipe dream of getting Fuentes, I suspect he brings  his OC (Brad Cornelson). He's also from this region & has built a strong resume as an assistant moving up to OC. He grew up in Texhoma, OK out in the Panhandle and played his college ball at Missouri Southern. On a personal level, he comes from incredible folks. I play golf with his father & I suspect they'd love to have BC & his family closer to them.
http://www.roanoke.com/hokies/new-virginia-tech-offensive-coordinator-brad-cornelsen-has-deep-ties/article_bc088c12-7300-5853-a2f0-ef75668a73a2.html
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

kaiserhog

November 02, 2017, 05:21:14 pm #197 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:32:01 pm by kaiserhog
A lot of trashing Arkansas here.  Other than proximinity to DC, I don't see much in Virginia that is much better.  Blacksburg is a small remote place.  Been there done that.

longpig

Fuente ain't giving up working with smaht kids in Blacksburg for #10 APR in the dummy conference Fayetteville.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pork Twain

1. NOBODY has trashed Arkansas.  If you think someone saying they would rather live in X, than Arkansas, life is rough.

2. My point in playing the Devil's advocate...  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Don't assume a coach would make the same decision you would, based off of completely different goals and desires. 

3.  NOBODY ever said Blacksburg was anywhere close to being as great a place as Fayetteville, it's not and there is not much to do there.  It is closer to being Mountain Home than Fayetteville.  That only really matters if you only plan to stay within the city limits of any place you live.

4.  Not so much in just this thread, but in the numerous other threads on coaches and recruits; posters act like being close to home and living in Arkansas is for everyone.  It isn't...   People need to take their Arkansas colored glasses off and just accept that for some, going home is not at the top of their list and that Fayetteville is not the destination or higher profile job for everyone.

5. Playing Devil's Advocate aside, there is a LOT more within a 400 mile radius to Blacksburg than Fayetteville, and that is why my wife and I love the area so much.  We like to get out and see the area outside of where we live and take weekend trips (given C'ville is 2.3 hours north of Blacksburg).  Since we moved here in 2014, we have driven to Virginia Beach several times, DC several times, Baltimore several times, Richmond several times, Cincinnati twice, Knoxville once, Nashville once, Philadelphia once,  Boston once and NY once.  Some do not enjoy weekend road trips and that is why individual motivations matter and why it is best not to assume.  Virginia is the 11th place I have lived since 1993, for at least a year, and FOR ME, it is the perfect mixture of what I loved about Arkansas and what I loved about living outside of Arkansas.