Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Leach is 6-0 and he just made another Woodstock reference in the post game

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, October 07, 2017, 10:41:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on October 08, 2017, 05:25:11 pm
6-0 this year, is not bad for taking over a team a few years ago that may have been in the worst shape of any program in the country.  That was what their AD that hired Leach admitted.  He's 6-0 right now, we're going to be 2-5 in the next 2 weeks.  I doubt we will win 6 games all year. He would certainly be an upgrade, & play the kind of offense we really need to be in.

"a few years ago"? ? ?

Leach has been at Wazzu longer than Bielema has been at Arkansas.

He's one (1) game above a .500 record, and his best bowl game win is the "Sun Bowl"

Also, I don't recall Washington State going through a sex scandal, then enduring another year with an interim Coach? ? ?

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 08, 2017, 08:54:02 am
In his ten years at TT he had 2 or less conferences losses in only two out of those ten. The rest of the years he had three or more. He had four or more five out of that ten. In five full years at WSU he's had four of three or more conference losses. This year he has none so far but has only played three.

we all know why people like leach, pass pass pass pass. As pointed out he is 35-34 in his time at WSU, not tearing it up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Will you people touting Mike Leach's .500 record and two 3-9 seasons please tell me what Washington State did the couple seasons before he got there?

Oh wait, I'll save you the trouble:

2-11
1-11
2-10
4-8

With a roster and program that bad, it takes a full 3 years to rebuild. After a 12-25 start at Washington State, he is now:

9-4
8-5
6-0 (Currently #9 in the Country!)

Anyone who can't see what he did there is ignorant. He would be am excellent hire here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 05:35:07 pm
we all know why people like leach, pass pass pass pass. As pointed out he is 35-34 in his time at WSU, not tearing it up.

It is the spread obsession.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Augustus on October 08, 2017, 05:29:26 pm
Mike Leach is one (1) game above a .500 record, at Wazzu.

His only bowl game win in 5 seasons at Wazzu is the "Sun Bowl".

No thanks.

And like others you don't look at the big picture.  I have links in here for you to look at.  Washington State has had 1 .500 season and 7 losing seasons before Leach showed up.  His first 3 years was rebuilding a program that has been used to losing. In year 4 he showed that he has built it up to now consistently be a winning program. 9 wins then 8 wins and right now sitting at 6-0.  He built it up. 

Those are the type of coaches Arkansas should be looking at.  Coaches that can go to mediocre or worse type schools and build them up into winning programs.  Texas Tech and now Washington State. He has shown that he can sustain success at programs that normally are mediocre or worse and that is what Arkansas has been for awhile.

He is 56 so he probably would not leave Arkansas after building it up.  Probably would retire here.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pork Ranger

All I know is we cannot waste the talent and upside of a guy like Cole Kelley. We have to bring someone in who can coach him.

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 08, 2017, 05:38:45 pm
And like others you don't look at the big picture.  I have links in here for you to look at.  Washington State has had 1 .500 season and 7 losing seasons before Leach showed up.  His first 3 years was rebuilding a program that has been used to losing. In year 4 he showed that he has built it up to now consistently be a winning program. 9 wins then 8 wins and right now sitting at 6-0.  He built it up. 

Those are the type of coaches Arkansas should be looking at.  Coaches that can go to mediocre or worse type schools and build them up into winning programs.  Texas Tech and now Washington State. He has shown that he can sustain success at programs that normally are mediocre or worse and that is what Arkansas has been for awhile.

He is 56 so he probably would not leave Arkansas after building it up.  Probably would retire here.   

His qb's get killed in leagues not know for defense, and we see how that affects the offense because of the beating AA is taking this year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 05:35:07 pm

Please show more intelligence than just posting his record without any context....which I provided in my post above.

Stewhog 11

Leach has gotten two different non-traditional powers into the top 10. Depending on what happens in the next few weeks that might become two in the top 5. That's the appeal. Two different programs that were all his. No heavy talent leftover from a previous regime, all him.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 05:40:47 pm
His qb's get killed in leagues not know for defense, and we see how that affects the offense because of the beating AA is taking this year.

You don't have a clue what he would do here like me, but you can look at his previous stops and see how bad of teams he has coached up to being winning programs.

I would take him over many coaches that are being talked about because he has gone to 2 P5 programs that are usually rent a win games to most in those conference and turned them into contenders in those conferences. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on October 08, 2017, 05:44:01 pm
Leach has gotten two different non-traditional powers into the top 10. Depending on what happens in the next few weeks that might become two in the top 5. That's the appeal. Two different programs that were all his. No heavy talent leftover from a previous regime, all him.

Where does the Washington State program rank in the PAC 12 in terms of potential? Probably easily behind USC, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. You may could argue a few others as well like Arizona and Arizona State, even Cal.

He did the same at Texas Tech at a lesser program. That is what Arkansas is. He knows how to win with a lesser program that is at severe disadvantages. That's why we need him!

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 08, 2017, 05:43:33 pm
Please show more intelligence than just posting his record without any context....which I provided in my post above.

Hire Leach. Hire the guy from Navy, talk about doing more with less, or someone in between, it is not going to matter. Still going to be a 7-8 win a year program on average.

But if you know the guy who is capable convincing large #'s of out of state sec quality players to come here on offense AND defense, please pass his name along.

Any plan that involves relying at all on instate kids is doomed.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 08, 2017, 05:46:40 pm
Where does the Washington State program rank in the PAC 12 in terms of potential? Probably easily behind USC, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. You may could argue a few others as well like Arizona and Arizona State, even Cal.

He did the same at Texas Tech at a lesser program. That is what Arkansas is. He knows how to win with a lesser program that is at severe disadvantages. That's why we need him!

Washington State is 10th among the PAC-12 in all time winning percentage. Ahead of only Oregon State and Colorado.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 05:47:37 pm
Hire Leach. Hire the guy from Navy, talk about doing more with less, or someone in between, it is not going to matter. Still going to be a 7-8 win a year program on average.

But if you know the guy who is capable convincing large #'s of out of state sec quality players to come here on offense AND defense, please pass his name along.

Any plan that involves relying at all on instate kids is doomed.

You need a coach that can keep in that 8 win territory. And when things line up right in terms of in state recruiting and the conference, be able to take advantage.

That's what Petrino did. He wasn't going to be a 10-11 win coach every year. He was about to fall back into that 8 win zone in 2012 and beyond. But, when the right Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Hunter Henry, etc., I bet he could have taken that 2015 team to 10 wins.

Bielema can't do that. Mike Leach has proven he is the perfect coach for that.

Tusks

I find it amusing when fans belittle lesser programs accomplishments at a time when the UA program has been sucking balls for 5 years.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Augustus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 08, 2017, 05:38:45 pm

LMAOOOOO

Oh, I know Mike Leach's history at Texas Tech. IN THE BIG 12 (Which is NOT the SEC)

Leach's best bowl win in his time at Texas Tech was the Gator Bowl.   ...the Gator Bowl.

Yes, he had several several 8 and 9 win seasons at Texas Tech. And only one (1) 10+ win season.

But it was STILL in the Big 12.

He has not won a conference championship in a ANY conference he's coached in... and his best bowl wins are:
1) Sun Bowl
2) Gator Bowl

Make me laugh some more

livevanguy

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 08, 2017, 03:46:50 pm
Concur.

Pullman, WA, fits him perfectly: it's a small, quirky, country, intellectual town.

Leach in Fayetteville in 1990 would have been perfect.  Now?  It's not what he wants.
That's a nice way to describe it. Glad I only had to stay for 2 years.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

livevanguy

Quote from: LZH on October 08, 2017, 05:07:18 pm
Frankly,  I'm sick of the idea that head coaches are babysitters as well. These guys are paid millions to win.

It's the coach and his staff's responsibility, as the grantor of a student-athlete scholarship, to ensure that they adhere to the student code of conduct and pass classes. It's not babysitting- it's about adhering to NCAA, state, and federal policies on a wide variety of levels. Failure to stick to the guidelines impacts more than just the team. Coaches are paid a ton of money to win, but also to be the CEO to a large athletic/academic program. You are entitled to be upset at what this is costing us financially, in the win column, and in reputation (trust me I am as well). I also believe that the right coach will set us up to win while ensuring that their student-athletes are set up for success after college. 
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 08, 2017, 04:44:40 pm
Washington State under Leach:

2012 - 3-9
2013 - 6-7
2014 - 3-9
2015 - 9-4 (including a loss to Portland State)
2016 - 8-5
2017 - 6-0

Record - 35-34

He needed a 6-game winning streak to get above .500. What makes you say he has "it," and what is it?

Look at the last three years you just quoted!  Things are starting to roll in the right direction!  I wish Coach B could say the same thing!

Washington State was a horrible program dating back to 2003 before Leach.  He is recruiting to a stadium that seats 33,000. 

He did a great job at Texas Tech building their brand!  Texas Tech is historically a very average program with no national relevance.

One year Leach beat Nebraska 70-10, the worst loss in Nebraska history at that time. 

Would Leach be a good fit at Arkansas?  Who knows, but at least we would not run the ball up the middle on first down every time like we did against South Carolina!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rtr on October 08, 2017, 01:12:35 pm
The Big 12 South was at it's peak when he was there.

And yet if he is so great he should have been at or at least near the top of that peak. He is average with an open pass happy offense. That is all.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ben

Quote from: sickboy on October 07, 2017, 10:57:07 pm
I like Mike Leach. He's as entertaining a coach as there is. But he's 35-34 at Washington State. It's not like he's lit up the Pac-12. He's having a good season and the Pac-12 is weaker this year, so he's got a good shot of having a really nice year. But I still think we can find someone with more upside than Leach.
Before Leach got there, Wash St hadn't made a bowl...A BOWL....in 10 years.  People forget minus a few good years, Wash St is a below mediocre program. Leach having them at #8 with a shot at a Pac 12 title is impressive.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 03:44:39 am
And yet if he is so great he should have been at or at least near the top of that peak. He is average with an open pass happy offense. That is all.
He tied for a South division title in 2008. The year OU made the national title and the year Texas was one game from the national title game because of their loss to Tech.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on October 09, 2017, 12:40:59 am
Look at the last three years you just quoted!  Things are starting to roll in the right direction!  I wish Coach B could say the same thing!

Washington State was a horrible program dating back to 2003 before Leach.  He is recruiting to a stadium that seats 33,000. 

He did a great job at Texas Tech building their brand!  Texas Tech is historically a very average program with no national relevance.

One year Leach beat Nebraska 70-10, the worst loss in Nebraska history at that time. 

Would Leach be a good fit at Arkansas?  Who knows, but at least we would not run the ball up the middle on first down every time like we did against South Carolina!

Biggus Piggus is a great poster!  This may be the first time I have ever schooled him!

Sweet Feet

Quote from: livevanguy on October 08, 2017, 12:24:28 am
Yeah, just like we need the 2  players on his team busted this week by the cops for shoplifting at Walmart. I'd prefer not to have a coach that doesn't seem to care that his players don't go to classes, start fights, and/or get arrested. Oh, and there was the whole locking a kid in a shed in the middle of summer. Real winner there. Pass.
You act like we don't have kids like that on the team. Remember Sprinkle last year?

(notOM)Rebel123

WSU Routed on the road at Cal. 37-3. Tough to beat anyone with 7 turnovers.Ouch.

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BILLYBOB

Wow! That's a worse asswhippen than we got from South Carolina. Maybe this will quell some of the RIDICULOUS Leach-to-Arkansas talk.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

100%Razorback

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 14, 2017, 06:57:25 am
Wow! That's a worse asswhippen than we got from South Carolina. Maybe this will quell some of the RIDICULOUS Leach-to-Arkansas talk.

I sure hope so. Just blows my mind at the people who want Leach. He's winning games (until last night, where his team got blasted) in a weak Pac-12 conference this year and people are falling all over themselves wanting him. Smh...

Hoggie17

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 14, 2017, 06:09:32 am
WSU Routed on the road at Cal. 37-3. Tough to beat anyone with 7 turnovers.Ouch.
Brohm is the man for our program.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 14, 2017, 07:16:50 am

Brohm is the man for our program.

Folks here in Tennessee feel the same way and would like to see him in Knoxville.

haystack

At least he said they got outcoached...

jlhogfan

Quote from: haystack on October 14, 2017, 08:21:39 am

lol... Bring him aboard just for the post games!

rljjr

Thanks for posting this. I was about to say he was at least honest in his assessment of their play last night.

Roaringboar

My only problem is that he shouldn't have bashed his players like that after the game.....it's okay to say, "they were to eager to buy into the noise" and "they just didn't perform well", but he kinda just bashed his O-line and WR's......that something you should lay into them about at practice......that's something nearly everyone on this board has had a problem with out of Bielema this season, that he blames the players more than the coaches.....and let's face it, it's the coaches job to make sure your team doesn't buy the noise.....that's one of the reasons Saban's teams rarely get upset, he doesn't let them for a moment think they are the #1 team in the land, if you upset 'Bama it's not because Bama isn't play top notch football, it just means the underdog school is playing that much better just for a chance to say, "We beat 'Bama"........unlike what is going to happen tonight in that 'Bama game.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Pig in the Pokey

dude, you arent too bright, huh? One game, on the road, short week, with a team of 2*s vs a team of 3*s. Cal loss wasnt on Leach. That's just Wazzou'n.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Leach > Brohm by a LONG SHOT
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

rzrbcksooie

Quote from: 100%Razorback on October 14, 2017, 07:02:32 am
I sure hope so. Just blows my mind at the people who want Leach. He's winning games (until last night, where his team got blasted) in a weak Pac-12 conference this year and people are falling all over themselves wanting him. Smh...

Dumb. He put Washington State in the top 10.  Not many could do the same. Arkansas needs a coach that is smart enough to do something other than try to play power football in the SECW. 

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 08:58:46 am
dude, you arent too bright, huh? One game, on the road, short week, with a team of 2*s vs a team of 3*s. Cal loss wasnt on Leach. That's just Wazzou'n.
WSU was favored by 14 points and loses by 34, and you say the coach gets no blame? You are one stubborn dude.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Karma on October 14, 2017, 09:10:42 am
WSU was favored by 14 points and loses by 34, and you say the coach gets no blame? You are one stubborn dude.
man, you guys....

THAT TEAM was picked to win 6 games pre-season and it's best recruiting class was like 64th. They were on the road at a team with more talent on the roster. They are a top 10 teanm with all 2 *s. These morons now think Leach sucks. Who are the stubborn reactionaries really?

Who was it really. The 2*s, or teh hall of fame coach. Coach took the blame in the press conference b/c he is a hall of fame coach.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rzrbcksooie on October 14, 2017, 09:06:54 am
Dumb. He put Washington State in the top 10.  Not many could do the same. Arkansas needs a coach that is smart enough to do something other than try to play power football in the SECW.
exactly. I dont think these guys realize wazzou is like Vandy.
@Slackaveli

The Boar War

Hopefully

Pig in the Pokey

Wazzou. 1 conference title in it's entire history. And that was with a great coach , Mike Price,  and a super bowl QB, Drew Bledsoe, iirc.

Leach has them doing this with a walk-on 2* QB. Who threw like 7 picks last night. HOW is that on Leach? LMFAO. Damn, Arkansas fans. Ya'll never cease to amaze me.
@Slackaveli

The Boar War

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 09:13:22 am
man, you guys....

THAT TEAM was picked to win 6 games pre-season and it's best recruiting class was like 64th. They were on the road at a team with more talent on the roster. They are a top 10 teanm with all 2 *s. These morons now think Leach sucks. Who are the stubborn reactionaries really?

It's hard to stay on the field when the mighty Cal Bears come callin'

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The Boar War on October 14, 2017, 09:18:47 am
It's hard to stay on the field when the mighty Cal Bears come callin'
Is dabo total ass now, too?

Oh, wait, big difference. Dabo has all 5*s and Wazzou has all 2*s. So, Dabo's loss was actually WAY worse.

Cal's average recruit is ~3*, wazzou's 2*. 2*.... bro, even Arkansas only has like 5 of those on the whole 85 man roster.
@Slackaveli

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TNRazorbacker

Still like him. You don't judge a coach on one game good or bad. Its the body of work and his fit for your program. Leach would be perfect for Arkansas.

The Boar War

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 09:20:07 am
Is dabo total ass now, too?

Oh, wait, big difference. Dabo has all 5*s and Wazzou has all 2*s. So, Dabo's loss was actually WAY worse.

Cal has lost (in the past three weeks) by 10, 21, and 31.  Such a powerhouse.

Nobody is excusing Clemson's loss.  But if we're comparing, one coach has a nc and lost by three on the road and the other is fielding a team of 2 stars in year 6 with a .500 record. 

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 09:13:22 am
man, you guys....

Who was it really. The 2*s, or teh hall of fame coach. Coach took the blame in the press conference b/c he is a hall of fame coach.
You said Leach bears no responsibility for the loss. That's crazy. If you want to say Leach is a great coach, has his team overperforming this year, would be great for Arkansas - all that is fine.

But you said a coach of a top 10 team shouldn't be blamed for losing 37-3. That's crazy.

Arkansas is an underdog tonight, not a favorite. Our talent isn't nearly Bama. Let's see if Arkansas gets blown out and Allen throws 7 interceptions if anyone will blame the coaching. 

Vantage 8 dude

For some the definition of a HC wanted for the Hogs goes something like "You're only as good and wanted as the results of your last game". Sad, sad, sad......

ChicoHog

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 14, 2017, 08:40:55 am
My only problem is that he shouldn't have bashed his players like that after the game.....it's okay to say, "they were to eager to buy into the noise" and "they just didn't perform well", but he kinda just bashed his O-line and WR's......that something you should lay into them about at practice......that's something nearly everyone on this board has had a problem with out of Bielema this season, that he blames the players more than the coaches.....and let's face it, it's the coaches job to make sure your team doesn't buy the noise.....that's one of the reasons Saban's teams rarely get upset, he doesn't let them for a moment think they are the #1 team in the land, if you upset 'Bama it's not because Bama isn't play top notch football, it just means the underdog school is playing that much better just for a chance to say, "We beat 'Bama"........unlike what is going to happen tonight in that 'Bama game.......
He does that all the time.  Last year after they lost to Boise he said they were playing like a girls softball team.  Personally I thought it was funny but in today's society you should not do that.  He throws his players under the bus all the time.  Still, my main problem with Leach is his style of football. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 09:17:57 am
Wazzou. 1 conference title in it's entire history. And that was with a great coach , Mike Price,  and a super bowl QB, Drew Bledsoe, iirc.

Leach has them doing this with a walk-on 2* QB. Who threw like 7 picks last night. HOW is that on Leach? LMFAO. Damn, Arkansas fans. Ya'll never cease to amaze me.
Don't forget Ryan Leaf!