Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do you want as next coach?

Started by root_hawg, October 07, 2017, 06:28:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 1highhog on October 10, 2017, 10:57:53 am
He can't get it done at one of the best recruiting bases in college football, so what makes you think he could do it here?

He has played in a national championship game. Also won the west once so far.  He is 3rd or 4th in recruiting in the conference.  Not many teams have beaten Alabama over the time Saban has been there.  Doesn't matter though because I doubt he would come here right now anyway. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wolfpride

The thing that gets me is the Bielema v. Malzahn comparison.  People say that Malzhan has a better record than Bielema has in their first five years as head coach.  Well, that is skewed a bit.  Malzahn left Auburn and went to ASU (promised to stay a looooong time!).  He then came back to a team HE HAD ALREADY recruited.  When Malzahn went back to Auburn, his team was intact.....Bielema didn't have much.  Now, I am not defending Bielema, it's just that Malzahn isn't all of that......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Wolfpride on October 10, 2017, 11:18:12 am
The thing that gets me is the Bielema v. Malzahn comparison.  People say that Malzhan has a better record than Bielema has in their first five years as head coach.  Well, that is skewed a bit.  Malzahn left Auburn and went to ASU (promised to stay a looooong time!).  He then came back to a team HE HAD ALREADY recruited.  When Malzahn went back to Auburn, his team was intact.....Bielema didn't have much.  Now, I am not defending Bielema, it's just that Malzahn isn't all of that......

So what youre saying is malzahn can recruit..lol

TheGunther

everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on October 10, 2017, 11:21:09 am
So what youre saying is malzahn can recruit..lol

That's what it seems like he was saying in all of that.

Wolfpride

Yes, he can recruit.  But my point is that now that Bielema has ALL his players, NOW we could start the clock on the five year mark.  People compare Malzhan and Bielema as if the BOTH had their players on the team they came to.  That is not a fair comparison.  Receipting well or not.......it just bugs me that people compare the two on equal footing when in my opinion it isn't.  Don't misinterpret this as Bielema support.  It isn't.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

Athog

Quote from: root_hawg on October 07, 2017, 06:28:37 pm
How about Mike Leach?

Before we vote on a new coach let's decide how we buy out the current coach?

Razor1997

Ray Biggers.

Because it will take a special kind of coach to win 10-12 games at Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Athog on October 10, 2017, 11:55:12 am

Delta is writing the check for Bret and Guv is writing the one for Jeff. Or is it the other way around. Maybe they are flipping coin to see who has to write the big one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razor1997 on October 10, 2017, 12:15:51 pm
Ray Biggers.

Because it will take a special kind of coach to win 10-12 games at Arkansas.

He's uncommon!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 10, 2017, 11:07:38 am
He has played in a national championship game. Also won the west once so far.  He is 3rd or 4th in recruiting in the conference.  Not many teams have beaten Alabama over the time Saban has been there.  Doesn't matter though because I doubt he would come here right now anyway. 

Yes, only when he had Scam there.  And you made my point as far as recruiting goes, Auburn is and easy place to recruit to because of its proximity to fertile recruiting grounds and also it's a school that has shown throughout history to be rich in scandalous activity when it comes to recruiting, being cited several times for violations.   Why would Gustav want to leave Auburn to come to Arkansas where the state is lacking in homegrown talent and not surrounded like Alabama is with such great recruiting territory?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 1highhog on October 10, 2017, 12:23:24 pm
Yes, only when he had Scam there.  And you made my point as far as recruiting goes, Auburn is and easy place to recruit to because of its proximity to fertile recruiting grounds and also it's a school that has shown throughout history to be rich in scandalous activity when it comes to recruiting, being cited several times for violations.   Why would Gustav want to leave Auburn to come to Arkansas where the state is lacking in homegrown talent and not surrounded like Alabama is with such great recruiting territory?

I don't believe scam was there for his national championship appearance. 

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 10, 2017, 12:59:20 pm
I don’t believe scam was there for his national championship appearance. 

Yep, he was there and M. Dyer was the RB for his brief stint at fame, he even won MVP because they keyed in on Newton and that gave Dyer all kinds of room to run.

moses_007

Where we really missed the boat was not hiring the coach that said coaching the Arkansas Razorbacks was his dream job-- Pete Carroll.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 1highhog on October 10, 2017, 03:26:44 pm
Yep, he was there and M. Dyer was the RB for his brief stint at fame, he even won MVP because they keyed in on Newton and that gave Dyer all kinds of room to run.

Not when Gus was head coach.  I'm not talking about him as a coordinator there.

John Futrall

The_Iceman

Quote from: Athog on October 10, 2017, 11:55:12 am

15 million, spread out over 5 years. When you factor in SEC tv money, bowl payouts, boosters, and increased revenue from the new stadium and New coach.....it won't be a problem.

Vantage 8 dude

Personally I think we honestly need an actual HC opening prior to really entertaining all this debate.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: moses_007 on October 10, 2017, 03:37:11 pm
Where we really missed the boat was not hiring the coach that said coaching the Arkansas Razorbacks was his dream job-- Pete Carroll.

Except it wasn't. The pros were. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 03:54:26 pm
15 million, spread out over 5 years. When you factor in SEC tv money, bowl payouts, boosters, and increased revenue from the new stadium and New coach.....it won't be a problem.

Maybe revenue from the new stadium should go to something like...................paying for the new stadium.

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 10, 2017, 03:38:46 pm
Not when Gus was head coach.  I'm not talking about him as a coordinator there.

Okay, I smell what you're cooking now.

Pigsqueal

How about Frank Wilson, seems he can sell snow to an Eskimo and we need a coach that can recruit.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsqueal on October 10, 2017, 04:28:38 pm
How about Frank Wilson, seems he can sell snow to an Eskimo and we need a coach that can recruit.

Hasn't been a head coach long enough for the record he has to consider. He might be great in a year or two but not now. Some of the other up and comers have better records in the same short time. Maybe they were handed a better team though. I can't say for certain. They have not been fielding a football team for very many years though.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: GuvHog on October 10, 2017, 09:09:56 am
Well obviously he was overrated or he would have gotten better offers than a non P5 school.
What do you consider overrated?  His play at Arkansas?

He had several P5 offers.  I do believe he was committed to Miami for a while before committing to Tulsa/Malzahn.

ur

October 10, 2017, 07:51:47 pm #324 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:21:11 pm by ur
Jeff Brohm
2014 Western Kentucky 8-5 Beat Enos in the Bahamas Bowl
2015 Western Kentucky 12-2
2016 Western Kentucky 10-3
2017 Purdue 3-2 Beat Mizzou, almost beat BP
Played minor league baseball during the summers of college football.
played in NFL for 7 years and XFL for 1
Purdue buyout before dec 5 $5.9 mill, after dec. 5 $4.9 mill
Video worth the time to watch.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ur on October 10, 2017, 07:51:47 pm
Jeff Brohm
2014 Western Kentucky 8-5 Beat Enos in the Bahamas Bowl
2015 Western Kentucky 12-2
2016 Western Kentucky 10-3
2017 Purdue 3-2 Beat Mizzou, almost beat BP
Played minor league baseball during the summers of college football.
played in NFL for 7 years and XFL for 1
Purdue buyout before dec 5 $5.9 mill, after dec. 5 $4.9 mill
Video worth the time to watch.

I was already sold, now it's cemented.  That man should be our next coach when CBB gets fired after the 2018 season.

kp72204

Jason Garrett. Might be an opening if cowboys continue to lose. Jerry Jones might send him to the minor league

jackflash

waiting until I see them buy out his contract that's a lot of money