Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like it's going to be Paul Rhoads

Started by grayhawg, January 16, 2017, 09:59:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MTBrookHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 17, 2017, 12:03:46 pm
I feel like the problems on the DL may have been created by the fact that they were going against our terrible OL and weren't allowed to go 100% a lot of the time. They say iron sharpens iron. In this case chalk was sharpening iron and just left it kind of dull.
This is a question I have wondered about for a while. Since practices are closed, do 1's go against 1's or is it 1's against the backups?

ricepig

Quote from: MTBrookHog on January 17, 2017, 02:32:19 pm
This is a question I have wondered about for a while. Since practices are closed, do 1's go against 1's or is it 1's against the backups?

Depends, at times, like in the spring and fall, or during the off week, they'll go good on good. You usually don't go much, if any at all the rest of the time because you are going against the scout team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MTBrookHog on January 17, 2017, 02:32:19 pm

Well, my point is that the 1's on the OL were obviously terrible. We heard lots of reports of the DL being told to not go full speed because the 1's on the OL couldn't handle the rush. I wonder how much that had to do with the DL not being ready or capable.

jgphillips3

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:50:05 pm
Man you guys are unreal. other than Pully,there was no improvement in the DB. are my eyes that bad?you folks are kidding yourselves.go back and look at the games on tape. what you posted is just not true.

I'm not saying they were world beaters.  We are talking improvement.  Their technique improved but the scheme still had to conform to CRS overall scheme.  I would argue, based on what I saw, that the problems we had in coverage were scheme related and not skill related.  I saw overall improvement in the individual play of the DB's.  However, zero pass rush from the front seven got them burned over and over.  You just attribute their getting burned to bad coaching on Rhoads part.  I attribute it to scheme and the incompetence of CRS and Segrest.  Now, admittedly, we went from terrible secondary in 2015 to average in 2016.  However, that's progress.

Here are the numbers.

Arkansas 2016 Passing Defense:
Team rank 51, Att. 336 Comp. 197 percentage 58.6% total yards 2632 yards per att. 7.8 TD 10 Interceptions 9 Yards per game 219.3

Arkansas 2015 Passing Defense:
Team rank 120, Att. 411 Comp. 268 percentage 65.2% total yards 3414 yards per att. 8.3 TD 17 Interceptions 10 Yards per game 284.5

In EVERY statistical category except interceptions where we got one more in 2015, the 2016 passing defense was either better or much better.  Our team rank jumped from 120 to 51 for goodness sake.  Now I know the moaners and complainers will say that everyone ran on us.  Okay.  However, the completion percentage dropped from 65.2% to 58.6% so regardless of the number of attempts, that is progress.  The yards per attempt went down from 8.3 to 7.8.  Again, progress.  We gave up 1 touchdown for every 33.6 attempts in 2016 as compared to 1 touchdown per 24.18 attempts...again...improvement.  We intercepted the ball 1 time for every 37.33 attempts in 2016 versus one time every 41.1 attempts in 2015...improvement.

Rhoads is not a terrible hire.  He was part of a terrible defensive staff but he was the only part that actually improved year over year and he did so with no freaking help from the DL & LB.  The improvement in stats is much more impressive knowing how little help they got.  But hey...believe what you want.

Also Joe, I agree with you on many things, but I think you are wrong on Rhoads.  Just give him a chance.  I do hope they clean house on Segrest and possibly Hargreaves to bring Partridge (or another good DL coach) and possibly a new LB coach in though.

onebadrubi

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 01:42:58 pm
Yea,and they can send your Jump ball post on Anderson right there with them. you say the same things over and over and over.

That wouldn't be because it's always the same issue with Anderson and game results is it?

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 17, 2017, 03:25:05 pm
I'm not saying they were world beaters.  We are talking improvement.  Their technique improved but the scheme still had to conform to CRS overall scheme.  I would argue, based on what I saw, that the problems we had in coverage were scheme related and not skill related.  I saw overall improvement in the individual play of the DB's.  However, zero pass rush from the front seven got them burned over and over.  You just attribute their getting burned to bad coaching on Rhoads part.  I attribute it to scheme and the incompetence of CRS and Segrest.  Now, admittedly, we went from terrible secondary in 2015 to average in 2016.  However, that's progress.

Here are the numbers.

Arkansas 2016 Passing Defense:
Team rank 51, Att. 336 Comp. 197 percentage 58.6% total yards 2632 yards per att. 7.8 TD 10 Interceptions 9 Yards per game 219.3

Arkansas 2015 Passing Defense:
Team rank 120, Att. 411 Comp. 268 percentage 65.2% total yards 3414 yards per att. 8.3 TD 17 Interceptions 10 Yards per game 284.5

In EVERY statistical category except interceptions where we got one more in 2015, the 2016 passing defense was either better or much better.  Our team rank jumped from 120 to 51 for goodness sake.  Now I know the moaners and complainers will say that everyone ran on us.  Okay.  However, the completion percentage dropped from 65.2% to 58.6% so regardless of the number of attempts, that is progress.  The yards per attempt went down from 8.3 to 7.8.  Again, progress.  We gave up 1 touchdown for every 33.6 attempts in 2016 as compared to 1 touchdown per 24.18 attempts...again...improvement.  We intercepted the ball 1 time for every 37.33 attempts in 2016 versus one time every 41.1 attempts in 2015...improvement.

Rhoads is not a terrible hire.  He was part of a terrible defensive staff but he was the only part that actually improved year over year and he did so with no freaking help from the DL & LB.  The improvement in stats is much more impressive knowing how little help they got.  But hey...believe what you want.

Also Joe, I agree with you on many things, but I think you are wrong on Rhoads.  Just give him a chance.  I do hope they clean house on Segrest and possibly Hargreaves to bring Partridge (or another good DL coach) and possibly a new LB coach in though.
Is the big push by everyone to get rid of Hargreaves simply due to the performance of the LB corps this past season?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 17, 2017, 03:39:51 pm
Is the big push by everyone to get rid of Hargreaves simply due to the performance of the LB corps this past season?

I think most people are just kind of "meh" with Hargreaves.  It's hard to know how good or bad he really was because of the scheme, depth and injuries.  I'm willing to give him more time if Rhoads wants to keep him.  It does seem like it is time for Segrest to move on.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 17, 2017, 05:01:29 pm
I think most people are just kind of "meh" with Hargreaves.  It's hard to know how good or bad he really was because of the scheme, depth and injuries.  I'm willing to give him more time if Rhoads wants to keep him.  It does seem like it is time for Segrest to move on.

Biggus posted a good thread on Coach Rhoads. Based on what seems to be his philosophy you can bet that every defensive position coach is going to be teaching their kids to be more attacking in terms of scheme this coming Fall. At least, that is what Rhoads states as his philosophy in those quotes.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 05:23:04 pm
Biggus posted a good thread on Coach Rhoads. Based on what seems to be his philosophy you can bet that every defensive position coach is going to be teaching their kids to be more attacking in terms of scheme this coming Fall. At least, that is what Rhoads states as his philosophy in those quotes.

We have to be.  If you are more talented, you can play more basic.  We are always going to be at a disadvantage against some programs and attacking gives us a punchers chance.  Based on what Fanonthehill says, I think we are going to see players respond well to Rhoads.

Bebop

Rhoads seems like a solid upgrade. I'm curious to see what the defense is going to look like.

streitenberger

All season long there were constant and consistent complaints on this board about how confused our defensive backfield looked, or how from from time to time you'd see one of them loafing or jogging around during a play, or just displaying lack of awareness when the ball was in the air and headed towards the guy they were covering...    but of course we promote the defensive backs coach, WTH?

jgphillips3

Quote from: streitenberger on January 17, 2017, 06:17:44 pm
All season long there were constant and consistent complaints on this board about how confused our defensive backfield looked, or how from from time to time you'd see one of them loafing or jogging around during a play, or just displaying lack of awareness when the ball was in the air and headed towards the guy they were covering...    but of course we promote the defensive backs coach, WTH?

And there have been reports that a lot of the loafing was caused by the way CRS was and the entire defense was doing that so I buy it.  I also think scheme and the absolute lack of pressure from the front 7 contributed to those instances.  None of us know for sure but let's hope for the best.

WorfHog

Well I mean the DB's looked so much better and Paul's such an ace recruiter...  :puke:

Looks like CBB really hit the pavement hard to find his DC.  :puke:

We'll be looking for a new DC this time next year (and probably a new HC).

SamBuckhart

Solid hire in CPR. Wondering if this is all the change we will see. Ready for spring practice. GO HOGS!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

PonderinHog

Since our defense looked like it was on life support last season, maybe it needed CPR.

factchecker

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2017, 09:48:32 pm
Since our defense looked like it was on life support last season, maybe it needed CPR.

.....good...good

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 07:18:05 am

If we can give up one less yard per play next season......

If we can give up one less point than we score in each game next season......

Fixed it for you

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 18, 2017, 02:01:15 am
If we can give up one less point than we score in each game next season......

Fixed it for you

No need to fix it, one less yard per play will turn this into a top 30-35 defense and the reduction in points should follow as a part of the process. But yes, one less TD per game would be a major step in the right direction.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2017, 05:24:20 am
No need to fix it, one less yard per play will turn this into a top 30-35 defense and the reduction in points should follow as a part of the process. But yes, one less TD per game would be a major step in the right direction.

You might have misread.. he was saying one less point than we score.. not one less score

Pork Twain

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 18, 2017, 11:06:01 am
You might have misread.. he was saying one less point than we score.. not one less score
Either way we win
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 07:18:05 am
If we can give up one less yard per play next season just by being in the proper alignment and position and making better tackles, our defense will be in far better shape than this year and I will feel that this hire has been a major success.

One less yard per play last season would =

5.7 yards per play

4,685 yards

861 fewer yards

66 fewer yards per game

And that is assuming the same number of plays. Presumably, less yards per play would result in fewer plays / more punts.

My guess is that 66 fewer yards per game would reduce average points allowed by close to 7 points.

Arkansas gave up a ghastly 31 points per game last season, 30 ppg in regulation.
[CENSORED]!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 12:20:34 pm
One less yard per play last season would =

Arkansas gave up a ghastly 31 points per game last season, 30 ppg in regulation.

Man that's just hard to believe... with what 9 starters back?

nchogg

We will all fall for all the pre-season hype, and spring and fall hype. Frankly I don't care, the results on the field are that matter to me.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 18, 2017, 11:06:01 am

You are correct, I did misread. Funny, 1 less point for our opponents than we scored in each game. A technical approach. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Kamren Curl just cited his relationship and familiarity with Coach Rhoads as a reason he committed to us.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 18, 2017, 03:29:09 pm
Man that's just hard to believe... with what 9 starters back?

I do not know about Brooks Ellis, but Deatrich Wise and Jeremiah Ledbetter are likely to be drafted.

The defense should not have been that bad. It was not all a talent problem. A lot of it was a scheme that didn't fit the players + the players realized it as the season unfolded.
[CENSORED]!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 05:23:04 pm

Good, that is what we need!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: factchecker on January 19, 2017, 04:15:14 pm
Kamren Curl just cited his relationship and familiarity with Coach Rhoads as a reason he committed to us.

Good news, need more of it.
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

If BB is concerned about staying with the Hogs beyond the next 2 years, he will likely go ahead and lead this upcoming team somewhat and this team will show good progress, thus helping many on here point out that all that was necessary was more time, just like they kept pointing out.   Maybe Rhoads will benefit from the HC getting really involved with the team, therefore he will likely look pretty good too.  I certainly hope so.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: 12247 on January 19, 2017, 08:33:29 pm
If BB is concerned about staying with the Hogs beyond the next 2 years, he will likely go ahead and lead this upcoming team somewhat and this team will show good progress, thus helping many on here point out that all that was necessary was more time, just like they kept pointing out.   Maybe Rhoads will benefit from the HC getting really involved with the team, therefore he will likely look pretty good too.  I certainly hope so.
Where do you come up with this horse crap?
All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 19, 2017, 11:18:56 pm
Where do you come up with this horse crap?
I think you just answered you own question.