Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris PC After Scrimmage

Started by TebowHater, March 03, 2018, 08:02:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

http://video.wholehogsports.com/Chad-Morris-recaps-Day-2-of-spring-practice-33599184?playlistId=15945

Lots of learning going on. Shotgun snaps are hard. CCM likes natural grass. Knowing names of players is hard for Morris at this point. Sounds a little bit underwhelmed by our talent level. 

Tusks

He's almost got me.  I'm full tilt and looking for a reason to boogie.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

lakecityhog

He did dodge the question on current talent level, but then again he did NOT say we are bereft of talent.
Of course, who would expect him to say that the current players are not talented?

I really believe that 1 thru 22 are SEC talent, maybe not All-SEC level but talented enough to compete with most SEC teams. Depth may be an issue.

Agim and Froholdt would start for at least 10 other SEC teams, Pulley, Whaley, Patton, Hayden, Hammonds, Capps, Guidry, Harris and Greenlaw would start for over half the SEC teams and then Gragg, Cantrel, Wallace, Gibson and a couple of others would play for most teams.

twistitup

On good recruits....

"when you get 'em here, you just don't throw your hands up, you DEVELOP them. "

Honesty - I love it...

"We are a long long ways away from where we need to be"

....not a b.s. artist

Most said we had a GREAT nutrition program, CCM differs in that belief:

"not just WR, they all needed to lose weight.we will focus hard on nutrition.....taking guy to the grocery store and teach them HOW to buy food"

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

SooieGeneris

Quote from: TebowHater on March 03, 2018, 08:02:07 pm
http://video.wholehogsports.com/Chad-Morris-recaps-Day-2-of-spring-practice-33599184?playlistId=15945

Lots of learning going on. Shotgun snaps are hard. CCM likes natural grass. Knowing names of players is hard for Morris at this point. Sounds a little bit underwhelmed by our talent level.

He did seem to be just a bit reluctant to answer the question about talent. Maybe he isn't sure yet and it is a bit of a loaded question. If he says the talent is great, the expectations from the media and fans soar and it could be taken as a shot at the previous staff.

If he says the talent stinks and implies we were lucky to win 4 games last fall, that is taken as a shot at the previous staff and could destroy players confidence and team morale. Not to mention it's no way to sell season tickets and build enthusiasm among the fans and recruits.

Talent questions to a coach in year 1 are a two-edged sword. I would like to think he likes the talent while realizing the core of the team is coming off of a 4 win season, something very talented teams don't usually have.

In any event, he continues the quest for more speed, something a team HAS to have to win in the SEC West in every recruiting class regardless of the current talent level.

I suspect he doesn't know yet where we stand in that area compared to most of the opponents in the SEC and he can see we don't measure up to the Clemson team he left in late 2014, which is the last Power 5 team he saw up close and personal. That was a team that destroyed OU in their Bowl game and made the CFB playoff and lost to 'Bama in the finals  the season after he left, so to be less talented than that team is to be expected for us right now.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

go hogues

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 03, 2018, 09:41:37 pm
He did seem to be just a bit reluctant to answer the question about talent. Maybe he isn't sure yet and it is a bit of a loaded question.
Thought that too.

I also thought about 3 or 4 years from now when he'll say at the first day of fall camp presser:
"Man, to see where we came from from that first spring we were here until today is night and day. We weren't very good then but look where we are now (while i'm projecting - top 15 preseason ranked?)! ;D
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

arlhog

He said we need speed, size and consistency.  He also said this isn't going to be where it needs to be overnight. He's not expecting a lot of results quickly I don't think.  I believe he is optimistic but realistic.

presidenthog

Quote from: twistitup on March 03, 2018, 09:14:38 pm
On good recruits....

"when you get 'em here, you just don't throw your hands up, you DEVELOP them. "

Honesty - I love it...

"We are a long long ways away from where we need to be"

....not a b.s. artist

"not just WR, they all needed to lose weight.we will focus hard on nutrition.....taking guy to the grocery store and teach them HOW to buy food"

We had one of the worst S&C programs and everyone here kept saying it. We all complained that guys got slower as they stayed here. It was true. This staff was taking major swipes at the last staff, and for good reason.

twistitup

Quote from: presidenthog on March 03, 2018, 10:56:52 pm
We had one of the worst S&C programs and everyone here kept saying it. We all complained that guys got slower as they stayed here. It was true. This staff was taking major swipes at the last staff, and for good reason.

I got crushed when I mentioned nutrition...or talked about our lack of focus on nutrition

AirWarren

Quote from: twistitup on March 03, 2018, 11:20:33 pm
I got crushed when I mentioned nutrition...or talked about our lack of focus on nutrition

Same here.

Body by herb. What a joke.

Tick Hog

I love the 1's vs 1's and lets get after it attitude. That's how you get better and that's how you find out who's not getting it done. I think everyone knew the offense was going to be complex and take a good while to grasp it. I love his energy and really think it will rub off on our players

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Tick Hog on March 03, 2018, 11:26:58 pm
I love the 1's vs 1's and lets get after it attitude. That's how you get better and that's how you find out who's not getting it done. I think everyone knew the offense was going to be complex and take a good while to grasp it. I love his energy and really think it will rub off on our players

As opposed to waddling around in flip flops or passing out in the office with reggae in the background?

I've always heard that a team assumes, or at least reflects the personality of the HC. That could explain coming out for the 2nd half looking lethargic and the 4th quarter collapses of the last 5 years.

As for the guy the year before that: when he started bellowing "SMILE!!!" after a 52 point loss, I wanted to see someone kick that chair out from under him and smack the smirk off of his face..

SooieGeneris

I never heard much about the nutrition or lack thereof. I did hear whispers about the strength program and overemphasis on bulk and not nearly enough RUNNING with little to no emphasis on speed and quickness.

I believed my own eyes when I saw players seem to get slower the longer they were here and the more they bulked up. I watched tape on a lot of them or saw them play in person and knew they weren't slow when they were in HS or JC.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: AP85 on March 03, 2018, 11:21:28 pm
Same here.

Body by herb. What a joke.

Body by Herb would be a great training regimen for anyone reading this post as it focused on building a strong back and turning your legs into tree trunks. But those tree trunks don't give you blazing speed and if you're in the SEC playing football there's no need to become slower

ricepig

And we told you the Jones Center had an excellent nutrition center, which it does. Morris can take them to the grocery store and show them where the Brussel sprouts and Red Bull is located, but he can't stop them from driving thru Whataburger on the way home with a cheese burger and fries. It's up to the players to make that commitment.

twistitup

March 04, 2018, 07:28:04 am #15 Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:39:34 am by twistitup
Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 07:22:20 am
And we told you the Jones Center had an excellent nutrition center, which it does. Morris can take them to the grocery store and show them where the Brussel sprouts and Red Bull is located, but he can't stop them from driving thru Whataburger on the way home with a cheese burger and fries. It's up to the players to make that commitment.

B.S. - there wasn't much focus on nutrition in the past w CBB....we had a 400lb coach and fat arse, out of shape players (all of them according to CCM). Having a place called a 'nutrition center' means NOTHING if the kids are not educated and encouraged to eat correctly while on campus AND when they go home. Nutrition is not something to be laughed and scoffed at...simply saying 'we have a good nutrition center' lord....there is so much more to it than that.

Top notch athletes have top notch dietary plans that the coaches follow up with - and make them follow....they are here under scholarship, if they don't want to do it - hit the *** road.

We have NOT had a solid nutrition PROGRAM under Bielema- it looks like things will change under CCM. All the fat arse fans will keep saying.....na na na nutrition lalala

But, at least the coach is clued in

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 07:28:04 am
B.S. - there wasn't much focus on nutrition in the past w CBB....we had a 400lb coach and fat arse out of shape players. Having a place called a 'nutrition center' means NOTHING if the kids are not educated and encouraged to eat correctly while on campus AND when they go home. Nutrition is not something to be laughed and scoffed at...simply saying 'we have a good nutrition center' lord....there is so much more to it than that.

Top notch athletes have top notch dietary plans that the coaches follow up with - and make them follow....they are here under scholarship, if they don't want to do it - hit the *** road.

We have NOT had a solid nutrition PROGRAM under Bielema- it looks like things will change under CCM. All the fat arse fans will keep saying.....na na na nutrition lalala

But, at least the coach is clued in

Are you calling me fat? Alma Sonic for some tots and chilli-cheese dog and then a throw down? I told you they have an excellent nutrition program at the Jones Center, which they do. Did "all" the athletes follow it, nope, did lots, yes. Having a good program and accountability aren't always mutually exclusive, we'll see how well this takes. Their two systems are polar opposites, those that buy-in will change, the others??

jimmur74

Dont forget Santos Ramirez

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 03, 2018, 09:05:46 pm
He did dodge the question on current talent level, but then again he did NOT say we are bereft of talent.
Of course, who would expect him to say that the current players are not talented?

I really believe that 1 thru 22 are SEC talent, maybe not All-SEC level but talented enough to compete with most SEC teams. Depth may be an issue.

Agim and Froholdt would start for at least 10 other SEC teams, Pulley, Whaley, Patton, Hayden, Hammonds, Capps, Guidry, Harris and Greenlaw would start for over half the SEC teams and then Gragg, Cantrel, Wallace, Gibson and a couple of others would play for most teams.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 07:44:14 am

Their two systems are polar opposites, those that buy-in will change, the others??

We will have to agree to disagree on the quality of our nutrition program under Bielema - but I say our play on the field speaks volumes (fat, slow, couldn't finish games)

You are correct - CCM and CBB are opposites....in about every way possible. Glad to have someone who takes nutrition and LIFE seriously. This guy at least exemplifies what he preaches....it's hard to get kids to 'buy in' when you are 400# and haven't 'bought in' yourself.

I assume most players will 'buy in' 100%....the others will leave the program...I would think. If you are not bought in, find a new place to play football- happens all the time.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 07:51:26 am
We will have to agree to disagree on the quality of our nutrition program under Bielema - but I say our play on the field speaks volumes (fat, slow, couldn't finish games)

You are correct - CCM and CBB are opposites....in about every way possible. Glad to have someone who takes nutrition and LIFE seriously. This guy at least exemplifies what he preaches....it's hard to get kids to 'buy in' when you are 400# and haven't 'bought in' yourself.

I assume most players will 'buy in' 100%....the others will leave the program...I would think. If you are not bought in, find a new place to play football- happens all the time.

They are provided 3 meals a day and go-bags for appropriate snacks and meals. Bielema wanted big, Morris doesn't, so you can't say the nutrition sucked as a whole. Did Ragnow, Wallace, or Froholdt look fat, didn't to me. Follow Karla Horsfall or @Razorback Fuel, they have a good program, they may not have had a good compliance record with some.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 08:08:40 am
Bielema wanted big, Morris doesn't, so you can't say the nutrition sucked as a whole.

Bielema should have wanted more W's - now we will see if the CCM philosophy works since the CBB experiment was an epic failure.

You say CBB wanted bigger - but didn't he switch his O when hiring Enos? Should of switched the nutrition goals too, true? More speed needed to match the new offense.

Like I said, we need to agree to disagree on the quality of the nutrition program under CBB

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 07:44:14 am

Are you calling me fat? Alma Sonic for some tots and chilli-cheese dog and then a throw down? I told you they have an excellent nutrition program at the Jones Center, which they do. Did "all" the athletes follow it, nope, did lots, yes. Having a good program and accountability aren't always mutually exclusive, we'll see how well this takes. Their two systems are polar opposites, those that buy-in will change, the others??

20 year old SEC athlete in a good S&C program can eat some junk and get by.....

They just can't eat all junk and do some powerlifting
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on March 04, 2018, 08:19:37 am

20 year old SEC athlete in a good S&C program can eat some junk and get by.....

They just can't eat all junk and do some powerlifting

Correct, some did, and some didn't.

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 07:51:26 am

I think the question is, or should be, how much information do you have about the nutrition program under CBB? If you don't know what it was you're just filling in blanks with your opinions of him as a man and a coach. The reality is that there was a nutrition program. And it worked to do what they wanted it to do. Problem is that bulking them up and making them strong as an Ox with tree trunks for legs wasn't the best thing to do. 

twistitup

twistitup

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 08:35:39 am
not acceptable

Well of course, guess what, they'll be some unacceptable aspects of Morris' program, too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 08:26:58 am
Correct, some did, and some didn't.

Personal accountability was a big buzz term under Bielema the first few years. I'm not sure if it was maintained with ongoing emphasis or not. In this case it doesn't sound like 100% of the team bought into personal commitment and accountability with regard to following the previous nutrition program. It will be interesting to see if there is greater enforcement of personal accountability under Morris.

Morris made reference to doing things a certain way on his team, saying that whether you are a coach or a player, there is a certain way that they do things and you are either going to do it that way or you won't be a part of this team. Is that just laying down the rules with emphasis now and then softening a bit on that as time passes? I hope not.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 08:35:00 am
Oh really?

Yes really. The guys bulked up and go stronger. Turns out that wasn't a great idea.

Snout team

He seemed a little shocked at the wr weights which were thrown out.  I'm sure he wants lighter and faster.  He wants speed in space.  But 160lb receiver in the sec is going to have trouble finding space and staying healthy.

We all love the scat back and the small slot receiver but the best receivers in the business typically have size and speed.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

rtr

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 07:22:20 am
Do you speak for the Athletic Department.  You seem to be an insider but you were blindsided when Long and Bielema were canned.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

ricepig

Quote from: rtr on March 04, 2018, 09:54:21 am
Do you speak for the Athletic Department.  You seem to be an insider but you were blindsided when Long and Bielema were canned.

I speak for myself, who do you speak for?

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on March 03, 2018, 09:14:38 pm

Not sure thats what he said, but since you brought it up do you want me to repost the thread where the dietician agreed they had a good meal program, smh...

rtr

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2018, 09:55:28 am
I speak for myself, who do you speak for?
Myself but without your certitude.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 04, 2018, 08:59:44 am
Yes really. The guys bulked up and go stronger. Turns out that wasn't a great idea.

Got fat and slow...bulked up and strong works too- I guess....why did we not change our nutrition philosophy when enos arrived and we needed to b faster ? Why did we not adjust? All these nutrition professionals on campus and nobody adjusted .....strange

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 10:08:10 am
Got fat and slow...bulked up and strong works too- I guess....why did we not change our nutrition philosophy when enos arrived and we needed to b faster ? Why did we not adjust? All these nutrition professionals on campus and nobody adjusted .....strange

Probably because they were doing what they were told.

jgphillips3

Is it just me or does anyone else want to suit up and run through a damn wall for that guy after listening to him?

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 10:08:10 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=654771.0

Actually what I think is strange is that some posters continue to beat a drum to a false tune just to villify the past regime.  All they did was not win enough.  They have paid for that already with their jobs and we have turned the page.  Suggesting they didnt have a good meal plan and then trying spin the coaches comments to support your previously debunked position is pretty funny. But hey welcome to hogville, where all opinions are welcome.

housecat

no... not all opinions...trust me. if they dont like yours they will just delete it )

tusksincolorado

Quote from: tusked on March 03, 2018, 08:47:10 pm
He's almost got me.  I'm full tilt and looking for a reason to boogie.

I am still on the fence....

But I am willing to watch listen and have belief!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

rude1

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 04, 2018, 08:30:21 am
I think the question is, or should be, how much information do you have about the nutrition program under CBB? If you don't know what it was you're just filling in blanks with your opinions of him as a man and a coach. The reality is that there was a nutrition program. And it worked to do what they wanted it to do. Problem is that bulking them up and making them strong as an Ox with tree trunks for legs wasn't the best thing to do. 
The problem at that time is a guy at the head of it all being the worst possible example of good nutrition and exercise trying to lead and tell young men the value of good diet and exercise. I totally agree with CCM, it starts at the top, if the HC isn't setting the example how can he hold players accountable?

mckinneyhog5

Sounds to me like CMM is making excuses for a poor season next year. The schedule sets up for at least 6 wins at a minimum. He performs below that level and he'll be off to a bad start.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HogtoberFest

Taking nutrition advice from B.B. is like taking legal advice from a prisoner.

rhames

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 04, 2018, 11:56:10 am
Sounds to me like CMM is making excuses for a poor season next year. The schedule sets up for at least 6 wins at a minimum. He performs below that level and he'll be off to a bad start.

No. He is just being honest. Everyone on this board has boasted for the past 4 months how we have so much talent and Bret underperformed, which is true to some degree. However this team is no where close to going .500 in conference play.

We hated when Bret would over sell now we hate that Morris is being honest?

He has no reason to make excuses for next season cause it is a freebie

He gets points from me in this assessment.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

twistitup

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 04, 2018, 11:56:10 am

Who is CMM?

twistitup

Quote from: rhames on March 04, 2018, 12:05:55 pm
No. He is just being honest. Everyone on this board has boasted for the past 4 months how we have so much talent and Bret underperformed, which is true to some degree. However this team is no where close to going .500 in conference play.

We hated when Bret would over sell now we hate that Morris is being honest?

He has no reason to make excuses for next season cause it is a freebie

He gets points from me in this assessment.

I love his honesty

twistitup

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on March 04, 2018, 10:38:40 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=654771.0

Actually what I think is strange is that some posters continue to beat a drum to a false tune just to villify the past regime.  All they did was not win enough.  They have paid for that already with their jobs and we have turned the page.  Suggesting they didnt have a good meal plan and then trying spin the coaches comments to support your previously debunked position is pretty funny. But hey welcome to hogville, where all opinions are welcome.

Nothing debunked....CCM said it HIMSELF (when he arrived we were overweight , out of shape and slow).....he proves my argument for me. We lacked leadership in all areas - including nutrition

rhames

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 12:06:43 pm
I love his honesty

And just to point out i am not making excuses for Bret. He is the reason for  where we are.

I also remember a few years ago espn showed what one of our linemen would eat in a day and it was total crap food.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 04, 2018, 10:16:59 am
Probably because they were doing what they were told.

Told by who? I thought we had a great nutrition program ....wouldn't those same great employees have discussions with the coach about what was needed to improve our athletes? We switched from a Wisky offense to a spread type offense....but we forgot to change our diets to match the change in scheme?

Sounds like we have some very bright individuals running that awesome nutrition program.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: twistitup on March 04, 2018, 12:06:11 pm

Who is CMM?
I'll let you figure it out but don't hurt yourself trying..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.