Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whole Hog Sports

Started by yraciv, September 20, 2016, 02:28:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Got the message today that I've read the max articles as a free user, and will now have to subscribe to see more. As a product I've had for free for so long, I fear this will hurt my knowledge of Razorback recruits and access to some of my favorite Razorback content. Anyone else feeling the pain and struggling with the dilemma to pay for this information?  As much as I like Richard, some of the guys on there I don't care for their content as much and  I had a feeling this was coming when they all joined together.

ricepig

Nope, I don't share your dilemma.

CallThemHawgs!

Well, on a related note, whats going on with the lack of updates? This place is absolutely dead.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 20, 2016, 02:39:47 pm
Well, on a related note, whats going on with the lack of updates? This place is absolutely dead.

I said the same thing the other day. We don't get our bits anymore because of the merge. 

ricepig

RD is down in the Dallas area, checking on Pool and Brian Williams, possibly others.

Big Daddy

Eating at the free trough of Hogville has ruined many a good man.

navyhog24

Delete your cookies on your browser and read some more. Rinse, lather, repeat

ricepig

It appears Calloway is visiting for Bama, and may take an unofficial for LSU, too.

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/778391488841469952

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

Go to your cookies in your browser, delete the ones for Wholehogsports, and you are clean.
[CENSORED]!

SemperFi

Quote from: ricepig on September 20, 2016, 02:30:34 pm
Nope, I don't share your dilemma.

Do you just lurk in the shadows waiting for your opportunity to say something you think is clever? Instead of putting in the extra effort to be rude to your fellow Hog fans why not just stop responding unless you've got something pertinent to add.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I'm feeling your pain as well. Miss the recruiting tidbits and how active the recruiting section used to be.

Good advice Biggus. Didn't consider doing that. Will give that a shot myself.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

CallThemHawgs!

I am a member over there, I just dont care to check it often.... Hogville was my one stop shop...

Its like trying to wade through pond muck over there, I close my browser after 2 minutes.

ricepig

Quote from: SemperFi on September 20, 2016, 10:58:01 pm
Do you just lurk in the shadows waiting for your opportunity to say something you think is clever? Instead of putting in the extra effort to be rude to your fellow Hog fans why not just stop responding unless you've got something pertinent to add.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I'm feeling your pain as well. Miss the recruiting tidbits and how active the recruiting section used to be.

Good advice Biggus. Didn't consider doing that. Will give that a shot myself.

I don't share his dilemma, I thought it was pertinent to his question, sorry you felt the need to reply, lol.

PEtrader

Not saying it's wrong or right,  but the move to make this a more corporate site has driven away a lot of traffic.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Tusks

Quote from: PEtrader on September 21, 2016, 09:27:57 am
Not saying it's wrong or right,  but the move to make this a more corporate site has driven away a lot of traffic.

Another board room that will learn that 'content' is king.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

IronMountainHog

Not sure what sucks more, changes to Whole Hog Sports or the nimrod who installed the mobile screen setup. Both make it frustrating when neither needed changing. 

Richard Davenport

Quote from: tusked on September 21, 2016, 09:41:53 am
Another board room that will learn that 'content' is king.

FWIW, the traffic has been at record levels. The content is unsurpassed with Clay, Dudley, Jimmy Carter, Matt Jones, Bo Mattingly, Nate Allen and others.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Richard Davenport on September 21, 2016, 10:45:37 pm
FWIW, the traffic has been at record levels. The content is unsurpassed with Clay, Dudley, Jimmy Carter, Matt Jones, Bo Mattingly, Nate Allen and others.

Oh, I believe you....

The issue is, many of us already had and have access to WholeHog but prefer to check things here. At least continuing to link the articles would be much appreciated, although as it stands I could give a rats ass if this place stays online past Jan.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 21, 2016, 11:05:28 pm
Oh, I believe you....

The issue is, many of us already had and have access to WholeHog but prefer to check things here. At least continuing to link the articles would be much appreciated, although as it stands I could give a rats ass if this place stays online past Jan.

Lanny doesn't allow links behind a paywall. I said I would never post pay links here because of my respect for Lanny.

Biggus Piggus

Orly.
[CENSORED]!

woopigsooie13

Just use an incognito window in Chrome and you can read as much as you want - Don't have to keep deleting cookies etc... :razorback:
WPS!

RedyorNot

Quote from: IronMountainHog on September 21, 2016, 09:28:13 pm
Not sure what sucks more, changes to Whole Hog Sports or the nimrod who installed the mobile screen setup. Both make it frustrating when neither needed changing. 

In the thread about the browser a few weeks ago, I think somebody (Lanny perhaps?) said it was going to be addressed. I may be wrong on both points though, can't remember for certain.

greenie

Think of the traffic you'd get if all the content were free?   8)

yraciv

Quote from: woopigsooie13 on September 22, 2016, 08:44:18 am
Just use an incognito window in Chrome and you can read as much as you want - Don't have to keep deleting cookies etc... :razorback:

Thank you!

Cinco de Hogo

kp72204

I realize it's been dead, but I thought there was nothing to report

SPAL

I miss the recruits reactions to our games. Not even worth coming here anymore.

LJHOG

So I go to WholeHog.  Try to sign it.  Ask for password hint and get the message address not registered.  Go to create an account and get the message email address already registered.
Reminds me of Razorvision, half-assed.

LRrazorback

Quote from: LJHOG on September 23, 2016, 03:33:10 pm
So I go to WholeHog.  Try to sign it.  Ask for password hint and get the message address not registered.  Go to create an account and get the message email address already registered.
Reminds me of Razorvision, half-assed.

Yes. I signed up today and having same sort of issues. Not a very complete site and sign up is "loose", let's call it.

Shorttimer

Richard, you are better at what you do than anyone I have seen, and I know your new arrangement is a good business move for you.  However, your shared affiliation with a media source that allows Nate Allen to continue to derive income from sports writing means I'll never get to read your stuff again.  I have to have some principles.

scooby21322

I also find that when RD puts up a link with info, and I click the link, it never actually goes to the article he references. 

Seebs

Quote from: woopigsooie13 on September 22, 2016, 08:44:18 am

Works for me.  RD, pass this along and post it somewhere. Open an Incognito window in Chrome and you should read it all.   
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The Hawg Marshal

I had definitely noticed the downturn in new information here. I understand business is business and everyone does what they need to do to make ends meet. I won't whine about it. It's totally my decision on whether I sign up or not. I just choose not to.  Good luck to Richard as I appreciate all the info he has provided throughout the years for free.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: scooby21322 on September 29, 2016, 09:53:03 am
I also find that when RD puts up a link with info, and I click the link, it never actually goes to the article he references. 

Never noticed that. Not sure what you're talking about.

scooby21322

Quote from: Richard Davenport on September 29, 2016, 10:47:14 am
Never noticed that. Not sure what you're talking about.

I just clicked on your link for "no longer counting on commitment..." from twitter. It went to your forum's "board index", not to the info referenced. I assume these things are in "Recruiting Insider Board", but when I click on that, it never actually goes into the recruiting site.  It's just a perpetual line of clicking that leads back to "board index."  This happens whether I'm on my phone or my computer. It's sad, because I haven't been able to read any of your information for weeks now.

ricepig

Quote from: scooby21322 on September 29, 2016, 03:44:24 pm
I just clicked on your link for "no longer counting on commitment..." from twitter. It went to your forum's "board index", not to the info referenced. I assume these things are in "Recruiting Insider Board", but when I click on that, it never actually goes into the recruiting site.  It's just a perpetual line of clicking that leads back to "board index."  This happens whether I'm on my phone or my computer. It's sad, because I haven't been able to read any of your information for weeks now.

Are you a subscriber?

Mike_e

Quote from: IronMountainHog on September 21, 2016, 09:28:13 pm

6 minutes to load and then another couple to switch to the desktop option make me wish it were turned off again.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Richard Davenport

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2016, 04:11:00 pm
Are you a subscriber?

That's what happens when you're not a subscriber.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on September 29, 2016, 10:40:02 am
I had definitely noticed the downturn in new information here. I understand business is business and everyone does what they need to do to make ends meet. I won't whine about it. It's totally my decision on whether I sign up or not. I just choose not to.  Good luck to Richard as I appreciate all the info he has provided throughout the years for free.

Thanks for the kind words.

rljjr

So who of you -- and it won't be me -- is going to step up and fill the void?

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2016, 04:43:36 pm
So who of you -- and it won't be me -- is going to step up and fill the void?

Didn't you read the other thread..........😋

scooby21322

Quote from: Richard Davenport on September 29, 2016, 04:37:48 pm
That's what happens when you're not a subscriber.

Ah.  I thought by having a login you could access the forums, just not all of the articles.  For example, I can read "Hawg Lounge."  I guess I just didn't understand.

Also, this is a shame.  I enjoyed reading about recruiting.  But, I just don't make enough to justify subscriptions.  The margin between what I make and what my expenses are is just too thin. 

Hog N Bama

I once got suckered into paying for one of those hog sites. I cancelled after realizing it wasn't worth the monthly fee. The info I want comes out eventually anyway. People talk. If the site needs money, they can get by with fewer reporters and find some sponsors.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 30, 2016, 07:13:55 am
I once got suckered into paying for one of those hog sites. I cancelled after realizing it wasn't worth the monthly fee. The info I want comes out eventually anyway. People talk. If the site needs money, they can get by with fewer reporters and find some sponsors.

I receive the ADG, so it's free with the subscription, otherwise I wouldn't pay for it. I use to be a member of some sites, this place is much better even with all the allowed trolls, haha.

hawgwash

I too receive the ADG.  I have no problem with people getting paid for their work and if that means I have to pay a fee I'll either pay it gladly like I pay for restaurant, cable TV, or anything else I choose to buy.  Or if I think it's too expensive I'll do without, no complaints.  I do, however, have an issue with the technology on this particular site.  I created an account using a different email address than the one I use for our ADG online account.  Everything seemed to work ok for a week or two, then nothing would work.  Apparently using a different email messed everything up, and I can't seem to delete the cookies in my browser.  I spent an hour on the phone with the site's tech support, and they were very nice, but it never got fixed.  So I'm paying for it but can't get it.  From what I read on Hogville it sounds like a lot of other people are having technical problems as well.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgwash on September 30, 2016, 01:17:43 pm
I too receive the ADG.  I have no problem with people getting paid for their work and if that means I have to pay a fee I'll either pay it gladly like I pay for restaurant, cable TV, or anything else I choose to buy.  Or if I think it's too expensive I'll do without, no complaints.  I do, however, have an issue with the technology on this particular site.  I created an account using a different email address than the one I use for our ADG online account.  Everything seemed to work ok for a week or two, then nothing would work.  Apparently using a different email messed everything up, and I can't seem to delete the cookies in my browser.  I spent an hour on the phone with the site's tech support, and they were very nice, but it never got fixed.  So I'm paying for it but can't get it.  From what I read on Hogville it sounds like a lot of other people are having technical problems as well.

Have you logged out of both the online paper and WHS and deleted your cookies? It seems I had to do both about three weeks after they started the site. I still have to occasionally login from my phone when I use it to read an article that is in a tweet. I know from reading on there, several have had difficulties logging in.