Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Final 6 spots

Started by Bubba's Bruisers, September 05, 2016, 04:49:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Alright, assuming we're taking 25 this class, what are the thoughts on how to finish?  I'll go with...

1 OG
2 DE
1 LB (probably outside)
1 CB

Best available after that...maybe a TE or DT or another OT.

Please delete if there's already a thread on this.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Seebs

Safety, CB, LB, Dline, 2 Oline
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

jackflash

I vote for a safety, 2 0line, LB one DT and one more DE

Oklahawg

Nine spots left. Three can count back, I believe.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 05, 2016, 08:18:12 pm

Nope, Reid Miller counts as one, not sure we had 28 to give.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 05, 2016, 08:18:12 pm

Then who are your 9?

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2016, 08:36:23 pm

What about Antwine?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 05, 2016, 09:00:56 pm
Then who are your 9?

What about Antwine?

Antwine does not count back because he has been on campus for over 2 years before given a scholarship

Oklahawg

You are correct, forgot about Miller...unless his is for one semester (not uncommon for walk-ons). The same might be true for Antwine, but as others noted, his service time as a walk-on means his scholarship counts only against the 85 hard cap.

We had 21 then added Brito Tutt (22) and Michael Taylor (23). Raulerson is much like Antwine, counts only against the 85 cap.

So, instead of 6 we have 8. If Miller is a long-term offer, 7.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HardingHog

So does anyone have any specific kids they think we might get?

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Is Taylor able to play?

EFBAB

Oklahawg

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 06, 2016, 06:59:06 am
Is Taylor able to play?

EFBAB

Waiting for clearance. Somehow, he has clearance to go to class and practice, but not to be game-eligible. Or, maybe that is a song/dance from the coaches to redshirt him since he got here so late?

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 06, 2016, 11:16:52 am
Waiting for clearance. Somehow, he has clearance to go to class and practice, but not to be game-eligible. Or, maybe that is a song/dance from the coaches to redshirt him since he got here so late?

3 to play 3, no redshirt available. Although I saw this retweeted:

https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/773148602013065216

nwahogfan1

I am not as crazy about the weight gains of our defensive players as others are on here.   Because we play so many spread teams I would like for us to put increased effort on recruiting and developing SPEED, Quickness and change of directions.

Oklahawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 06, 2016, 11:39:24 am
I am not as crazy about the weight gains of our defensive players as others are on here.   Because we play so many spread teams I would like for us to put increased effort on recruiting and developing SPEED, Quickness and change of directions.

And I hope you will see that reflected in recruiting. We need elite-level speed (defense primarily, but offense also).

JaketheSnake

By the looks of it, we might want to take another CB or two.  Like every other year under CBB, we will hold a couple scholies in our back pocket to see what/who comes available late in the game. 

I hope to see us add another safety as well.  We always need LBers and we are losing a few DEs after this season, so we could add some depth there. 

ricepig

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 06, 2016, 02:10:43 pm
By the looks of it, we might want to take another CB or two.  Like every other year under CBB, we will hold a couple scholies in our back pocket to see what/who comes available late in the game. 

I hope to see us add another safety as well.  We always need LBers and we are losing a few DEs after this season, so we could add some depth there. 

So, we need about 30 schollies this year?

thefisher

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2016, 02:11:42 pm
And every year thereafter.  Isn't that called, "The Tennessee Rule"?
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Fifteen pounds in three weeks is too much. I don't care what you're lifting and eating.  Unless he was cutting for a wrestling or UFC competition before he got here.

As for recruiting, the rise of spread up-tempo teams requires more safeties and CBs.  Some of those safeties will become LBs.  It sure would be nice to have a 250lb LB or two who can cover a speedy back or even a slot receiver, but there are only one or two of those around.

EFBAB

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2016, 02:11:42 pm
Minimum of a CB, LB, DE.  That still leaves us some to play with.

ricepig

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 07, 2016, 06:14:26 am
Fifteen pounds in three weeks is too much. I don't care what you're lifting and eating.  Unless he was cutting for a wrestling or UFC competition before he got here.

As for recruiting, the rise of spread up-tempo teams requires more safeties and CBs.  Some of those safeties will become LBs.  It sure would be nice to have a 250lb LB or two who can cover a speedy back or even a slot receiver, but there are only one or two of those around.

EFBAB

We need 260lb DE's with speed.

jackflash

Like are recruiting. My question have we done enough recruiting on the defensive side to improve it

Hawghiggs

1, Chester Graves 4* DE  Kansas City Missouri

2, Larry Boyd  OG 3*  St. Louis,  Missouri

3, Phidarian Mathis 4* DT  Monroe, Louisiana

4, Dennis Collins 3* DT West Monroe, Louisiana

5, Garret Wallow  3* S  New Orleans, Louisiana

6, JaCorion Andrews 3* CB Monroe, Louisiana

Potosihog

Might want to take Boyd  off that list since he committed to Illinois about a month ago.

Lovie Smith starting strong.

Huds_HawgTide

after sykes and floyd transferred ill finish out with at least two more corners and a safety
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

MS_HogFan

It seems like we need some DEs.
SOOIE

greenie

Wish list:
CB Chevin Calloway - http://247sports.com/Player/Chevin-Calloway-78898 (Otis thinks we might get this guy, FWIW)
OG Jack Anderson - http://247sports.com/Player/Jack-Anderson-51362 (I think this might be the guy CBB was talking about that is currently committed to "enemy")
OLB Thomas Johnston - http://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Johnston-46743 (seems like he has some interest)
DE Isaiah Buggs - http://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Buggs-41037 (JuCo, likely to LSU)
CB Kendall Sheffield - http://247sports.com/Player/Kendall-Sheffield-26674 (JuCo, former 5-star who transferred from Alabama)
Sorry, I only have 5 at this point.  :-)

Anderson, Buggs, and Sheffield are all real long shots.  I think we have a reasonable shot at Calloway and Johnston.

presidenthog

Safeties corners and defensive ends are our needs. Those will be the focus.

Huds_HawgTide

Quote from: greenie on September 08, 2016, 02:10:43 pm
Wish list:
CB Chevin Calloway - http://247sports.com/Player/Chevin-Calloway-78898 (Otis thinks we might get this guy, FWIW)
OG Jack Anderson - http://247sports.com/Player/Jack-Anderson-51362 (I think this might be the guy CBB was talking about that is currently committed to "enemy")
OLB Thomas Johnston - http://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Johnston-46743 (seems like he has some interest)
DE Isaiah Buggs - http://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Buggs-41037 (JuCo, likely to LSU)
CB Kendall Sheffield - http://247sports.com/Player/Kendall-Sheffield-26674 (JuCo, former 5-star who transferred from Alabama)
Sorry, I only have 5 at this point.  :-)

Anderson, Buggs, and Sheffield are all real long shots.  I think we have a reasonable shot at Calloway and Johnston.

nice list...would be sweet
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

hawginbigd1

It was posted somewhere that they are only taking one more DB most likely and that it is a HS player, which I believe is one Mr. Calloway. OL, DL, and LB are the need areas outside what we have plus Mr. Calloway. So 2 each of those and Calloway would be a good finish.

hawginbigd1

Ok Rice you posted this with some authority, so I am asking, I thought they counted against the class that they arrived with and not with the last class?

jwilliamson67

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 06, 2016, 11:39:24 am

The best coach that ever lived said if you must choose between size and speed choose speed. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on September 07, 2016, 06:14:26 am

EFBAB
I just was thinking about this, think maybe the last 3 or 4 weeks before he got herehe might have had some real weight loss stressing over his situation, and a bunch of that 15 pounds was just recovered weight?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: presidenthog on September 08, 2016, 02:39:44 pm
Safeties corners and defensive ends are our needs. Those will be the focus.

And probably a couple more OL.