Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chase Hayden-Running Back Officially 247 Composite 4-star

Started by zcpears, August 23, 2016, 05:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 26, 2016, 04:42:37 pm
5 Star - Projected to be an immediate, first year, impact player based upon his physical and mental development.

Bama stacks up 5 star D-linemen like chord wood. The odds of a true Freshman 5 star DT making an immediate impact at Bama = zilch.

The nearest comparison at Arkansas is Sosa. He is going to make an impact, but he ain't going to take over the world because the Hogs are fairly deep as well.

What we needed last recruiting class was a 5 star OT, but - for the most part - they do not exist. Why? Because the O-line is one of, if not the most difficult positions to learn. There ain't no such thing as a badass, true freshman, OT and evaluators aren't going to slap the 5 star designation on them knowing as much.

And what exactly do you think most people think a 5-star is?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Here is 24/7's definition - Five-star prospect. One of the top 25 or so prospects in the nation. Player has excellent pro potential, and should emerge as one of the best players in the country before his college career ends.

ESPN - These players demonstrate rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. These players have all the skills to take over a game and could make a possible impact as true freshmen. They should also push for All-America honors with the potential to have a three-and-out college career with early entry into the NFL draft.

Rivals - Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Wildhog on August 26, 2016, 04:43:48 pm
And what exactly do you think most people think a 5-star is?

A baller. And they are absolutely correct. This doesn't get interesting until we start discussing the 3 stars.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 26, 2016, 04:47:58 pm
A baller. And they are absolutely correct. This doesn't get interesting until we start discussing the 3 stars.

Personally, I pay almost no attention to stars.  I look at offers.

GENERALLY, stars will correlate to a player's offer sheet.  There are more than a few exceptions, though. 

Essentially, the more heavily recruited a player is, the greater probability of success that player has.  In the aggregate, 5-stars pan out more often than 4-stars.  4-stars more often than 3-stars, and 3-stars more often than 2-stars.  That's it. 

Evaluation is key, and there are tons of 3-stars that become great college and pro players.  That doesn't mean you don't want all the heavily recruited players you can get, because, statistically, the chances of those players panning out is higher.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Rivals definition of a 3* - considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

ESPN - These players show flashes of dominance, but not on a consistent basis -- especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Players closer to a 79 rating possess BCS-caliber ability and the potential to be a quality starter or all-conference player. Players closer to a 70 rating are likely non-BCS conference caliber prospects.

24/7 -  These are the players who will develop into reliable starters for the college teams. They are among the best players in their region of the country, and are generally among the top 750 players in the nation.

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

thebignasty

7 of the 32 composite 5 stars on 247 are OTs.  More 5 star OTs than any other position.

thebignasty

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on August 26, 2016, 04:45:49 pm
Here is 24/7's definition - Five-star prospect. One of the top 25 or so prospects in the nation. Player has excellent pro potential, and should emerge as one of the best players in the country before his college career ends.

ESPN - These players demonstrate rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. These players have all the skills to take over a game and could make a possible impact as true freshmen. They should also push for All-America honors with the potential to have a three-and-out college career with early entry into the NFL draft.

Rivals - Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

Looks like Hawgar needs to have a word with the services that do the rating.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Gonzo on August 25, 2016, 11:56:34 pm
Lol.    If it doesn't matter, why do you care what another fan thinks? Do you normally spend this much effort trying to convince others about things that don't matter?

Go Hogs!

No. I took special exception this time to eduate some of the poor ignorant fools that think they know what's best for the program. Im sure though, per usual, it was to no avail.

HogMantheIntruder

Does anyone know what Chase did last Friday? I know they lost, but I can't find his stats anywhere.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ricepig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 29, 2016, 12:55:24 pm
Does anyone know what Chase did last Friday? I know they lost, but I can't find his stats anywhere.

13 carries for 17 yards, according to RD.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ricepig on August 29, 2016, 01:18:41 pm
13 carries for 17 yards, according to RD.
What a difference a week makes! I wonder if maybe he just didn't have his legs back after that 10,000 yard performance?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HardingHog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 29, 2016, 12:55:24 pm

There's a thread like 7 spots down from this one where someone who was at the game talks about it

ricepig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 29, 2016, 01:59:11 pm
What a difference a week makes! I wonder if maybe he just didn't have his legs back after that 10,000 yard performance?

His line averages about 200lbs and the defense was much larger.