Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Royals fans

Started by popcornhog, October 15, 2014, 10:35:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

This has been odd tonight. I don't know if it's an inferiority complex or what, but they've been dicks tonight in KC.

Utterly classless.
WPS

Dr. Starcs

Maybe they can start showing their scores on the jumbotron at Arkansas State games? :)

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 15, 2014, 10:38:35 pm
Maybe they can start showing their scores on the jumbotron at Arkansas State games? :)

+1
WPS

dacskc

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 15, 2014, 10:38:35 pm

Lol.  :) :) :)

popcornhog

October 15, 2014, 10:53:48 pm #4 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:10:32 pm by popcornhog
It truly is bizzare how they are all actively cheering against the Cards though.

I've never cared either way about an AL team (except the royals -- I've become a fan since moving to KC).

Odd how much they hate an NL team.
WPS

dacskc

Quote from: popcornhog on October 15, 2014, 10:53:48 pm
It truly is bizzare how they are all actively cheering against the Cards though.

I've never cared either way about an NL team (except the royals -- I've become a fan since moving to KC).

Odd how much they hate an NL team.

They fear payback. (Although they're not likely to get it, the way things are going tonight)

popcornhog

Quote from: dacskc on October 15, 2014, 11:04:57 pm

They fear payback. (Although they're not likely to get it, the way things are going tonight)

Fwiw, that was a type o.

Meant to say I've never cared either way about an AL team.

I will still be pulling for the Royals in the WS against the Giants though. I truly love this KC team. But I hope their entire fan base gets AIDS. At least the ones who were at John's Big Deck tonight. Zero class.
WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 15, 2014, 11:12:36 pm
Fwiw, that was a type o.

Meant to say I've never cared either way about an AL team.

I will still be pulling for the Royals in the WS against the Giants though. I truly love this KC team. But I hope their entire fan base gets AIDS. At least the ones who were at John's Big Deck tonight. Zero class.

What on earth are you talking about?  Just their loathing of the Cardinals or something else?

If that's all it is then I don't see what the big deal is.  There is a hell of a lot to hate about the Cardinals and their fans if you aren't a Cardinals fan and you live amongst them.  Cardinals fans just about break their arms patting themselves on the back.  They're nauseating.  And you don't have to live in Missouri to come to that conclusion.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/important-wsj-study-the-cardinals-are-the-most-hateabl-1640405202

http://deadspin.com/the-mayor-of-st-louis-is-a-complete-dummy-1642052026

Dropkick

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 16, 2014, 10:19:10 pm
What on earth are you talking about?  Just their loathing of the Cardinals or something else?

If that's all it is then I don't see what the big deal is.  There is a hell of a lot to hate about the Cardinals and their fans if you aren't a Cardinals fan and you live amongst them.  Cardinals fans just about break their arms patting themselves on the back.  They're nauseating.  And you don't have to live in Missouri to come to that conclusion.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/important-wsj-study-the-cardinals-are-the-most-hateabl-1640405202

I concur

dacskc

Yeah, because the Cardinals-hating deadspin site is the be-all-end-all measuring stick of what makes a good fan base. All fan bases have good and bad elements. As baseball towns go, if StL isn't the best, it's close. Boston might be in the mix. You can't deny that as a whole St Louis has historically supported its team like no other. There are some great Cards fans out there, and if Deadspin's cherry-picking the bad ones is pretty much the only thing they can find wrong with the organization then I guess we can live with it.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: dacskc on October 16, 2014, 10:30:16 pm
Yeah, because the Cardinals-hating deadspin site is the be-all-end-all measuring stick of what makes a good fan base. All fan bases have good and bad elements. As baseball towns go, if StL isn't the best, it's close. Boston might be in the mix. You can't deny that as a whole St Louis has historically supported its team like no other. There are some great Cards fans out there, and if Deadspin's cherry-picking the bad ones is pretty much the only thing they can find wrong with the organization then I guess we can live with it.

Actually, Deadspin was referencing the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-2014-baseball-playoffs-hateability-index-1412008971?tesla=y&mg=reno64-wsj

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 16, 2014, 10:19:10 pm

Just seemed odd to watch every Cardinal fan in the bar celebrate the Royals victory and then have them turn around and curse and swear at us the while game. It wasn't good natured ribbing, it was vitriol.

I'm still 100% on board with the Royals though. I would love to see them win the WS. I love their style of baseball.

Lorenzo Cain is hands down my favorite player in Major League Baseball right now -- love watching him make plays with Aoki. That bull pen is beyond sick. I've really enjoyed Hosmer's maturation.

How about Finnegan?! The kid was a Horned Frog a year ago. That's tough to believe.
WPS

dacskc

So because a fan of another team writes an article for the WSJ then that makes it gospel? Any team that wins a lot has haters.

Deadspin is notorious for Cardinals hate. A Cardinals hater using Deadspin as a reference for anything Cardinals related is like asking Santa Claus to evaluate Philadelphia fans.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 10:44:25 pm
Just seemed odd to watch every Cardinal fan in the bar celebrate the Royals victory and then have them turn around and curse and swear at us the while game. It wasn't good natured ribbing, it was vitriol.

I'm still 100% on board with the Royals though. I would love to see them win the WS. I love their style if baseball.

Lorenzo Cain is hands down my favorite player in Major League Baseball right now -- love watching him make plays with Aoki. That bull pen is beyond sick. I've really enjoyed Hosmer's maturation.

How about Finnegan?! The kid was a Horned Frog a year ago. That's tough to believe.

Yeah, that's not cool at all. 

But it would be similar to someone wearing Texas burnt orange head-to-toe and hanging out in a bar on Dickson Street during a big Razorback win.  Hog fans are horrible to someone like that.  People get amped up, see the irritating rival, and lose their minds.

Yeah, the whole Royals team is amazing right now.  Their hitting has slowed down this week, so that's concerning.  But their defense, relief pitching and baserunning is ridiculously good.  And they put the ball in play more than anyone else.  They're just a fun team to watch.

dacskc

This will be an awesome series. Both teams have that same kind of post-season magic going on right now that the Cards had in'11. It will be interesting to see which team keeps it going. I lean towards KC, but there's no denying that the Giants always turn it up a notch when it counts.

GolfNut57

It has been 29 years for the KC fans. Cut em some slack.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 16, 2014, 10:52:53 pm
Yeah, that's not cool at all. 

But it would be similar to someone wearing Texas burnt orange head-to-toe and hanging out in a bar on Dickson Street during a big Razorback win.  Hog fans are horrible to someone like that.  People get amped up, see the irritating rival, and lose their minds.

Yeah, the whole Royals team is amazing right now.  Their hitting has slowed down this week, so that's concerning.  But their defense, relief pitching and baserunning is ridiculously good.  And they put the ball in play more than anyone else.  They're just a fun team to watch.

I guess that's the thing that confuses me -- I would get it if I were in a Cubs bar or a Reds bar or a Brewers bar. But a Royals bar? There's no rivalry between the teams. We aren't even in the same league.

I've been pulling for an I-70 series all year.

Oh well. Go Royals!
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 16, 2014, 11:14:57 pm
It has been 29 years for the KC fans. Cut em some slack.

Haha, that is true.
WPS

dacskc

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 11:37:49 pm
I guess that's the thing that confuses me -- I would get it if I were in a Cubs bar or a Reds bar or a Brewers bar. But a Royals bar? There's no rivalry between the teams. We aren't even in the same league.

Oh well. Go Royals!

I have no Cubs hate. (you gotta feel for 'em, lol) I don't even hate the Reds anymore (maybe except for Cueto). The Brewers are another story. Them and the Dodgers. I have no feelings one way or the other about whatever team from the AL makes it in any given year. I couldn't even tell you who 75% of the players in the AL are, although I may root for the Royals this year just to be different.

popcornhog

Quote from: dacskc on October 16, 2014, 11:57:33 pm
I have no Cubs hate. (you gotta feel for 'em, lol) I don't even hate the Reds anymore (maybe except for Cueto). The Brewers are another story. Them and the Dodgers. I have no feelings one way or the other about whatever team from the AL makes it in any given year. I couldn't even tell you who 75% of the players in the AL are, although I may root for the Royals this year just to be different.

I'm like you, I don't typically follow the AL. But since I moved to KC last fall I've started following the AL more and I've been to quite a few Royals games. They are a fun team to watch. They run the bases well, they play very good defense, they bunt well, they're young, they are fast, and they have an awesome pen.
WPS

FelixJonesorDMAC?

It's ok, we will humble them for you.  MadBum disease and Ishitober coming to KC.  MadBum plays better on the road.  Royals cinderella season ends this October.

popcornhog

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on October 17, 2014, 12:08:51 am
It's ok, we will humble them for you.  MadBum disease and Ishitober coming to KC.  MadBum plays better on the road.  Royals cinderella season ends this October.

He does play better on the road. That's what I was thinking would help KC but I guess there's what, 4 days off? So he will pitch game 1 or 2 at Kauffman, huh?

He'll be tough to beat, but the Royals are on fire.

Good luck.
WPS

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I'm going possibly Peavy and Bum, either or is good for the Giants.  This will be a series of small ball.  Both teams have been hot, to knock off the Nationals and a hot Pirates team in Pittsburg and now the Cardinals, although luck was on our side with Cardinals losing Molina.  It will be a great series.  If Giants are going to win they need to do it in 5 in SF.  Mad in Game 1 and 4 could happen, but I don't know if it benefits us.

Im real interested in seeing how they use Peitit

FelixJonesorDMAC?

October 17, 2014, 12:25:58 am #23 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:42:19 am by FelixJonesorDMAC?
I'm not gonna lie, watching the Royals has been great.  I love watching them play.  They don't make any mistakes.  It looks like it is their year.  Giants seem lucky, Royals seem to be playing perfect.

popcornhog

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on October 17, 2014, 12:19:19 am
I'm going possibly Peavy and Bum, either or is good for the Giants.  This will be a series of small ball.  Both teams have been hot, to knock off the Nationals and a hot Pirates team in Pittsburg and now the Cardinals, although luck was on our side with Cardinals losing Molina.  It will be a great series.  If Giants are going to win they need to do it in 5 in SF.  Mad in Game 1 and 4 could happen, but I don't know if it benefits us.

Im real interested in seeing how they use Peitit

Wouldn't games 2 and 6 make more sense?
WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 11:37:49 pm

Oh well. Go Royals!

Just like Arkansas and Texas aren't in the same league either.

I guess you have to not be a Cardinals fan while living in a Cardinal-centric area to have experienced their haughty attitude. 

I will tell you, if the Cardinals weren't consistently competitive ALL the time, no one would care (and there wouldn't be a haughty attitude either).  There's definitely a lot of jealousy involved; Cardinals fans have it easy, knowing that they are always near the top while Royals fans have had to endure three decades of ownership that wasn't the slightest bit interested in keeping core players or trying to compete.

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 17, 2014, 08:27:09 am
Just like Arkansas and Texas aren't in the same league either.

I guess you have to not be a Cardinals fan while living in a Cardinal-centric area to have experienced their haughty attitude. 

I will tell you, if the Cardinals weren't consistently competitive ALL the time, no one would care (and there wouldn't be a haughty attitude either).  There's definitely a lot of jealousy involved; Cardinals fans have it easy, knowing that they are always near the top while Royals fans have had to endure three decades of ownership that wasn't the slightest bit interested in keeping core players or trying to compete.

I get your point -- but Arkansas and Texas were historically in the same league. That's different.

Also, I was born in 1983 -- from birth through HS graduation, the Cardinals only won their division (the East through 1994/Central thereafter) like three times.

I grew up going to lots of cards games as a kid without any expectations whatsoever. No doubt it's a great organization, but all things are cyclical.
WPS

DukeOfPork

I'll give you a little Royals history.

I was born in 1971, two years after the Royals came into the league as an expansion franchise.  Ewing Kauffman was the owner, a truly great philanthropist who owned and operated the Royals with the idea that it enriched the city to have major league baseball.  He ran the club the right way and with no intention of making a profit off of it. 

Historically, expansion franchises would always tank for a decade or two because they were not given a lot of advantages back in those days.  But the Royals quickly built the best scouting and minor league system in baseball.  They were the expansion model to follow.  By the mid-seventies, they were already producing George Brett, Frank White and a core group of players that would be the cornerstones of the franchise for two decades (free agency has ensured that type of continuity will never exist again).

Starting in 1976, they dominated the AL West for a decade and were going toe-to-toe with the Yankee establishment every year in the playoffs (4 out of 5 years).  It was always David vs. Goliath.  And it was tense:

The Royals were always a scrappy team that wouldn't back down and the fans loved it.  The entire time I was growing up, the Royals were always in the thick of it, culminating in the 1985 World Series win while I was in highschool.

Then full fledged free agency hit.  Small market teams struggled to compete and MLB did not have a revenue sharing system in place.  Then Kauffman died and so did the hope.  Since then, David Glass has run the team like he ran Wal-Mart: keeping the budget in check and reaping personal profits every year.  I half expected the fans to boo him at the trophy ceremony, but they were gracious.

Now I look at this 2014 team and this is exactly who I used to root for as a kid.  The small market, scrappy team that beats the odds and refuses to lose.  The Royals, once again, have the best scouting and minor league system in baseball.  The core of this team is homegrown players.  They're easy to root for because this is exactly the type of team the Royals were before our 29 years wandering in the wilderness!

k.c.hawg

Popcorn find a higher class bar to hang out at!!! In all seriousness I use to hang out at Johns Big Deck back in the day when I worked downtown (12 years ago) and I'm sure the bar and the people are fine but I'm not sure you'd get the same reception in most bars around town. I've been an MLB fan since my first real memories (around 64) and I was a die hard A's fan as a child that started flying from Little Rock to St Louis to watch MLB series as a young adult even though I wasn't a die hard Cardinals fan. The baseball experience in St Louis has been and is unmatched in every MLB city other than maybe Boston and New York. I moved here in 93 and have been a die hard Royals fan since following every inning of all 162 either at the stadium, on the tube or on the radio. Royals fans do have an inferiority complex when it comes to St Louis. Their World Series win has the Dinkinger effect hanging over it.......St Louis  fans continually have filled half of the K in inter league baseball and often drowned out the die hard Royals fans in their own stadium......the majority of Royals fans did not want an I 70 series because they somehow feared that not only would their World Series dream get crushed but somehow,someway it would be the Damn Cardinals that did it!!! It's hard living so close to excellence. It's like the kid whose brother is a Duke grad, Rhodes Scholar and by the way was the starting point guard on the basketball team, dating the hottest girls on campus. He comes home every so often and the parents tell him you are flunking out of the alternative school and have no friends.

Sorry your experience was a bad one, just thought I would explain the mentality at work here. Most of the bars I watch the games in there might be some fun bantering with Cardinals fans but nothing like you got.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 17, 2014, 10:34:26 am
I'll give you a little Royals history.

I was born in 1971, two years after the Royals came into the league as an expansion franchise.  Ewing Kauffman was the owner, a truly great philanthropist who owned and operated the Royals with the idea that it enriched the city to have major league baseball.  He ran the club the right way and with no intention of making a profit off of it. 

Historically, expansion franchises would always tank for a decade or two because they were not given a lot of advantages back in those days.  But the Royals quickly built the best scouting and minor league system in baseball.  They were the expansion model to follow.  By the mid-seventies, they were already producing George Brett, Frank White and a core group of players that would be the cornerstones of the franchise for two decades (free agency has ensured that type of continuity will never exist again).

Starting in 1976, they dominated the AL West for a decade and were going toe-to-toe with the Yankee establishment every year in the playoffs (4 out of 5 years).  It was always David vs. Goliath.  And it was tense:

The Royals were always a scrappy team that wouldn't back down and the fans loved it.  The entire time I was growing up, the Royals were always in the thick of it, culminating in the 1985 World Series win while I was in highschool.

Then full fledged free agency hit.  Small market teams struggled to compete and MLB did not have a revenue sharing system in place.  Then Kauffman died and so did the hope.  Since then, David Glass has run the team like he ran Wal-Mart: keeping the budget in check and reaping personal profits every year.  I half expected the fans to boo him at the trophy ceremony, but they were gracious.

Now I look at this 2014 team and this is exactly who I used to root for as a kid.  The small market, scrappy team that beats the odds and refuses to lose.  The Royals, once again, have the best scouting and minor league system in baseball.  The core of this team is homegrown players.  They're easy to root for because this is exactly the type of team the Royals were before our 29 years wandering in the wilderness!

Nice post. I'm pulling for the Royals in the WS.
WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 19, 2014, 10:31:12 amI moved here in 93 and have been a die hard Royals fan since following every inning of all 162 either at the stadium, on the tube or on the radio.

You STARTED following the Royals in '93?  That was right as KC was truly hitting the skids.  Wow, nobody deserves to see a winner more than you do!  That was back around the time that Hal McRae threw the phone!

And yes, you described the Royals fans' psyche quite well.  Cardinals fans haven't suffered like Royals fans have; I don't remember the last losing season St. Louis had. 

Royals fans, historically, were great.  The team was always well supported.  It took a lot of losing seasons with no hope in sight to get to where they've been in recent years.

I know a lot of Royals fans that pull for the Cardinals as well.  But I would say that at least half of them have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about St. Louis and it's based out of jealousy more than anything.

And yes, 29 years later, I still hear Cardinals fans complaining about Denkinger.  He did totally blow the call.  But I would be willing to give them a little more latitude if they hadn't collapsed 11-0 in Game 7.

Baseball Hog

Wait a second.  Am I reading this right?  CARDINALS fans are saying that ROYALS fans are jerks?

Probably just jealous...

popcornhog

Quote from: Baseball Hog on October 20, 2014, 11:10:42 am
Wait a second.  Am I reading this right?  CARDINALS fans are saying that ROYALS fans are jerks?

Probably just jealous...

A little jealous, definitely. It sucks going home early.

But this Royals teams is a lot of fun to watch. Their actual fan base (as opposed to the P&L meat heads who just started watching baseball in Oct. 2014) deserves it, the team deserves it, the city deserves it -- awesome story.
WPS

jrulz83

I'm looking at this fan thing from a different perspective. What is the common denominator of everybody on this board? Easy, it's the Razorbacks right?

Everybody that posts opinions in here is (assumption) a fan of the Hogs, so let's extrapolate a bit. Razorback fans have a national reputation of being fanatical jihadists in regard to their team. They accuse each other of not being real fans because they don't want to play in Little Rock. They accuse people of not supporting the team because they question some decisions made by coaches. They gripe about the offensive philosophy even when the team wins. They have carried griping about Cardinals fans to the extreme of ridiculousness. If you live in Arkansas you have to root for the Razorbacks is the sentiment of many on here. How is that any different than the Cardinals Nation jihadists that so many on here claim have destroyed their lives? Easy, it is something that they agree with.

As it applies to this board, I would say that the problem isn't Royal, Giants, Twins, Cardinals Braves, Cowboys, Alabama, et cetera fans. I would say that the problem is clearly Razorback fans.  :)
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

dacskc

That is the common denominator, maybe you're onto something!

It's probably just the problem of being a fish out of water. When you're not a fan of the predominant team in your area, their fans immediately become the biggest jerks who ever lived (mainly because they love their team and don't shut up about them, and you don't really want to hear it...then success creates more pride and more talk and you like it even less). If the people griping about Cards fans happened to be living in Boston, then Red Sox fans would suddenly become the biggest jerks who ever lived. Familiarity breeds contempt.

mhuff

Probably just jealous...

Every team has mental pygmy , jerk fans.

dhornjr1

Probably just jealous...

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 20, 2014, 06:47:41 pm

I realize that is tongue-in-cheek (at least, I hope to God it is).  But you have to admit, every single aspect of that is nauseating and annoying.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dacskc on October 20, 2014, 04:35:52 pm
That is the common denominator, maybe you're onto something!

It's probably just the problem of being a fish out of water. When you're not a fan of the predominant team in your area, their fans immediately become the biggest jerks who ever lived (mainly because they love their team and don't shut up about them, and you don't really want to hear it...then success creates more pride and more talk and you like it even less). If the people griping about Cards fans happened to be living in Boston, then Red Sox fans would suddenly become the biggest jerks who ever lived. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I know many people who work in Minor league baseball.  Those positions often turn over every year early in a career.  I have met dozens of people from all across the country, and fans from every team.  If I took a poll of "the most annoying fans in baseball" it would Be Cardinals, followed by Cubs followed by Red Sox.

Obviously where you live will have something to do with it, but when you travel all over and interact with all these fan bases, it's fairly easy to make assessments.

dacskc

Generally, there has to be some level of club success backing up the fan's actions to make them annoying. How on earth do Cubs fans fit in?????

dacskc

dhornjr1

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 20, 2014, 10:30:22 pm
I realize that is tongue-in-cheek (at least, I hope to God it is).  But you have to admit, every single aspect of that is nauseating and annoying.

Good.  I met my goal, then.

Of course, reading all these ladies' complaints about Cardinals fans is neither nauseating nor annoying. Here's a suggestion, the next time you all sit down to pee, get on your smartphone and put me on ignore. That's exactly what I'm doing with all you.

That way, you limp-dick pantywastes won't be offended by the big, bad Cardinals fan.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 21, 2014, 02:46:18 pm

Of course, reading all these ladies' complaints about Cardinals fans is neither nauseating nor annoying. Here's a suggestion, the next time you all sit down to pee, get on your smartphone and put me on ignore. That's exactly what I'm doing with all you.

That way, you limp-dick pantywastes won't be offended by the big, bad Cardinals fan.

In addition to being a message board tough guy, you seem to have an obsession with gender roles and genitalia. 

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 21, 2014, 02:46:18 pm

You confuse pity with with being offended.

dacskc

Quote from: Baseball Hog on October 22, 2014, 11:25:03 am
You confuse pity with with being offended.

How did Cubs fans fit into your theory? Constant "wait til next year?" As a group, I really don't find them that annoying. (aside from my brother, who will call me to gloat if they take one out of a three game series. lol) They have suffered much and remained loyal. How do you not respect that? Haha.

popcornhog

Quote from: dacskc on October 22, 2014, 01:30:33 pm
How did Cubs fans fit into your theory? Constant "wait til next year?" As a group, I really don't find them that annoying. (aside from my brother, who will call me to gloat if they take one out of a three game series. lol) They have suffered much and remained loyal. How do you not respect that? Haha.

Agreed. I respect Cubs fans, big time.

Just like Royals fans (except for the d bag bandwagon royals fans who smoke meth and wear affliction t shirts).
WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2014, 01:47:34 pm
Agreed. I respect Cubs fans, big time.

Just like Royals fans (except for the d bag bandwagon royals fans who smoke meth and wear affliction t shirts).

Any Missouri baseball fans need to be very careful about accusing other fanbases of smoking meth. 

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 22, 2014, 02:08:58 pm
Any Missouri baseball fans need to be very careful about accusing other fanbases of smoking meth.

Haha.
WPS