Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So it all comes down to the Iron Bowl...

Started by NuttinItUp, November 16, 2017, 08:59:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GWFan

If Auburn loses out, we can get him more affordably.
If Auburn wins out including play-offs, we'll gladly pay the price.

Either way Arkansas wins with this.

Been10Hog

Quote from: searkhogfan on November 17, 2017, 09:24:15 am
They're in the west, same as us.   Take Clemson off their schedule & replace them with another rent a win. Just as Arkansas schedule.  Add another win to their last 2 Years schedule.  He'd still have a lackluster record with Auburn's recruits.  Not exactly,  what I think we need as a coach
Glad the BOT doesn't care what you think either!!

searkhogfan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 09:24:42 am
Gus vs. Bret

43-20 (24-15 SEC) vs. 29-32 (11-27 SEC)

I think I would prefer the former vs. the latter.

Yeah his record with a built in recruiting source.  What would his record have at Arkansas with Arkansas recruits?   He would probably have a better record than Brett.  But would it have been enough to satisfy Hog Fans.

birmingHAMette

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2017, 09:09:48 am
I've said this on several other threads, however, unless one has experienced the true craziness of football in the state of Alabama you can't truly appreciate the "win the next game or you're fired" mentality. While every school has its fair share of crazy/unreasonable fans, and that includes Arkansas, I know, I know, that comes as a huge shock, you can't even imagine what lunacy can exist when it comes to the absolute insane antipathy and hatred between Awbarn and Alabama. I'm not sure how a marriage or household could even survive down there if for some reason there was a graduate from each school residing in one. There would be a civil war virtually every day of the year!! I swear that were the two teams to ever become so bad that they were both winless it ultimately wouldn't matter just as long as one beat the other to claim their lone victory of the year.

So under these circumstances I could well imagine that Gus might want to move somewhere else. Not saying it will happen and at this point I'm more or less ambivalent toward the whole issue; however, it could make some real sense no matter which way this year's Iron Bowl turns out.

Yep, they are on a different level of football craziness. There are quiet a few of house divided families that seem to coexist ok. I think Reese Davis wife is an Auburn grad and he is a Bama grad.
Auburn people were really after Gus at the beginning of the season and saying he'd never get them more than a 9 game winning season. I thought if BB could just break even it'd be a miracle. Different sort of pressure with the two schools competing against each other plus the SEC.  Auburn definitely has little brother syndrome. I can see how Gus might want out of that too. But for the winner of the Iron Bowl life is good for one year at least.
Go Hogs

searkhogfan

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 09:25:51 am
Glad the BOT doesn't care what you think either!!

They don't care what any of us think.  If Gus is hired I won't do like a lot on here did to Bielema.  And be against him from Day 1.  I'll support him Wholeheartedly & Root Hog just as hard as I ever have.  And pray he proves me wrong.

But, this all for discussion.  And I would like for someone to explain to me how I'm wrong for feeling this way.  I would love to feel better about this possible hire. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 09:04:06 am
Really? If Gus comes here it won't be because we offer $100,000 more than Auburn. It will be a lifestyle choice and a desire to take his state school where it never has been

Wrong. Gus is all about Gus and nothing else. If Auburn beats Bama, He'll try to use Arkansas to get a big raise, an extension, and a bigger buyout from Auburn.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 09:37:39 am
Wrong. Gus is all about Gus and nothing else. If Auburn beats Bama, He'll try to use Arkansas to get a big raise, an extension, and a bigger buyout from Auburn.

If you are coaching at this level and you DON'T have an ego, then you will not be successful.

That being said, his ego could lead him to think he could take a downtrodden Arkansas team that he has loved since he was little and bring them to great heights again. That is the kind of ego a lot here are hoping for. (Who knows if it happens.)

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: regi on November 16, 2017, 09:42:16 pm
Doesn't matter who wins that game.  He wants out,  according to people who cover,  both Arkansas and AU.  Losing to Bama though,  could make it happen sooner.

Yes. I don't know anything other than what I see on the web. But if, as have some have said, he is tired of continual win-or-get-fired-games at Auburn and has already reached out to Arkansas, it shouldn't matter whether he wins it all or not.  We know a championship won't get the pressure off of him. Ask Gene Chizik.   If Gus wants out, he wants out. Period. Could Sexton be playing us and Auburn? Sure. But there is a lot of smoke out there.

The only thing I am certain of is that Jeff Long's firing means CBB is gone. I am ambivalent as I tend to believe he could turn into a Frank Beamer late bloomer at UA, but it doesn't matter whether I or we like it, he's gone.

I prefer any number of coaches over Gus, but he seems to be number one on the list, and there seems to be mutual interest.  If he IS interested, his winning a couple more games this year shouldn't change that. Would his winning a couple more games this year change our interest? Probably not.

EFBAB

GuvHog

Quote from: GWFan on November 17, 2017, 09:25:17 am

Not gonna happen. Arkansas isn't going to wait until after the playoffs or after a bowl game to hire a new HC. They can't afford to wait that long. They might be willing to wait until right after a conference championship game for the new coach to arrive on campus and start work but no later than that.

Athog

Quote from: BloodRedHog on November 16, 2017, 09:10:09 pm
Hmm..sounds like a rumor started by Jimmy Sexton to get Gus a raise from his current employer.

EXACTLY! Easy to play Arkansas fans !

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 16, 2017, 09:08:01 pm
Who says Gus doesn't come regardless? It's not impossible. Would kinda suck for recruiting unless he announced after the regular season. Then he could stay and coach Auburn through the playoff or they could tell him to get lost.
they just cant wrap their heads around it. Remember that almost exactly 10 years ago they thought we couldnt fire Nutt after he just won @ #1's house. Also, they swore a ZERO percent chance that Petrino would be our coach. I argued with them a lot on that one. Idiots have terribly low self esteem.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The Hawg Marshal

Every AU win from here on makes it less likely. But one loss will move this thing so fast that it will mess you up.

Stillwater

It has nothing to do with beating Clemson or the outcome of the Iron Bowl, he is likely to be leaving Auburn at the end of this year no matter what.  He and his wife are not happy at Auburn and haven't been in some time.  He realizes that even if he wins out, the first loss next year he'd be right back on the hot seat.  It's simply a different animal over there. 

I'm not saying that he will be the coach here next year but unlike last time the Hogs had a vacancy.  The timing is right this time!  I do know for sure that he wouldn't even entertain coming back if JL was still the AD.  Draw your own conclusions.     

Pig in the Pokey

^^ I got a feeling (no source on this one) that Gus and Kristie have been planning this move since at least last year. The Auburn/LSU loser was GONE (turned out to be Leslie Edwin Miles); and there have been several games like that for Gus. An agreement is probably in place and the firing of Long is the dog whistle. He needed Bert to fail and that happened, too. And him beating Georgia shot him up the list in many Hog fan's minds as well. Won't be nearly as controversial in Arkansas as it would have been. That said, he's still 3rd on my list.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hoghiker

I hope Auburn wins. I hope they win big. I hope they whup Georgia. I got my secret reasons.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 17, 2017, 10:06:00 am
they just cant wrap their heads around it. Remember that almost exactly 10 years ago they thought we couldnt fire Nutt after he just won @ #1's house. Also, they swore a ZERO percent chance that Petrino would be our coach. I argued with them a lot on that one. Idiots have terribly low self esteem.

What you don't get is they'll want the new coach to come to campus and start work very, very quickly because of the looming early signing period. The U of A won't agree to let Gus announce that he is accepting the Arkansas job and continue to coach at Auburn until after the Bowl game or playoffs.

Stillwater

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 17, 2017, 10:22:22 am
^^ I got a feeling (no source on this one) that Gus and Kristie have been planning this move since at least last year. The Auburn/LSU loser was GONE (turned out to be Leslie Edwin Miles); and there have been several games like that for Gus. An agreement is probably in place and the firing of Long is the dog whistle. He needed Bert to fail and that happened, too. And him beating Georgia shot him up the list in many Hog fan's minds as well. Won't be nearly as controversial in Arkansas as it would have been. That said, he's still 3rd on my list.

Bingo!! 

USChog

Will Auburn really fire Gus if he loses the Iron Bowl? Will Gus winning the Iron Bowl sway his decision to stay or leave Auburn?

I would love to see Gus coaching the Razorbacks, but I'm not sure if this game is the determining factor. To be honest, I'm not sure Gus is coming back to the hill to coach one way or the other. We will just have to wait and see.

southeasthog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 17, 2017, 10:06:00 am

Pig in the Pokey

Date Registered: January 26, 2009, 04:00:54 pm

Yep. Math checks out.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

I think Gus could still be in play if he wins the Iron Bowl as we will have to wait on Norvell too till after championship Saturday.  But it would extend the questioning about our opening another week.  Don't see how he comes to Arkansas if they win both the Iron Bowl and SECCG. 

The AU def front is good and with the way MSU ran on Bama I don't think it would be real surprising if they won. 

RTR - not because I want Gus.  Just always pull for Bama in this game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pecos Hog

Quote from: searkhogfan on November 17, 2017, 09:15:10 am
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5

That's Gus' record at AU before this year.  With Auburn's Top 10 recruiting classes.  What would his record have been with the Hogs playing the exact same schedule.  With Arkansas' at best, Top 30 recruiting classes. 

Kind of depends who's doing your recruiting.   Doesn't it?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: USChog on November 17, 2017, 10:31:15 am
Will Auburn really fire Gus if he loses the Iron Bowl? Will Gus winning the Iron Bowl sway his decision to stay or leave Auburn?

I would love to see Gus coaching the Razorbacks, but I'm not sure if this game is the determining factor. To be honest, I'm not sure Gus is coming back to the hill to coach one way or the other. We will just have to wait and see.
I'm not sure they'd fire him for losing the Iron Bowl(although it is AU so anything is possible) but they'd be more receptive to him leaving . Beating Bama is the key to this thing, whether people want to believe it or not.

woodrow hog call

It's laughable to me that anybody thinks we, or Gus is making a decision that affects the next five years, based on the outcome of one game.

Have some of you stopped and thought about how crazy that sounds?
Do you not think that was considered by those in power before they canned JL?
This is real life, not some drama filled soap opera. Smh
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

GuvHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 17, 2017, 11:23:28 am
It's laughable to me that anybody thinks we, or Gus is making a decision that affects the next five years, based on the outcome of one game.

It isn't crazy at all. If Auburn beats Bama, Arkansas would have to pay an outrageous price to get Gus and they won't do that. They also won't wait until after a bowl game or after the playoffs to get Gus. Paying an outrageous sum and waiting weeks to get Gus would be insanely stupid when you have a quality coach like Mike Norvell who wants the job and would likely take it for around 4.5 Million a year and would probably leave after Memphis plays in their conference championship game.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 17, 2017, 11:23:28 am

Winning that game brings another important game.  Win that and based on timing alone it would make it almost impossible unless he pulled a Bill Frieder.

Also, this Iron Bowl isn't just one game.  Gus loses and it would be 4 losses in a row to Bama.  His security going forward would be weakened. 

Why should this part of the Arkansas PTB deserve trust?  I doubt they considered AU beating UGa the way they did since this was orchestrated before the game.  I remember when our basketball program had higher standards as well and they fired Heath(correctly) when they just knew they had a coach lined up. 

It is always a soap opera with us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 17, 2017, 11:32:48 am
Winning that game brings another important game.  Win that and based on timing alone it would make it almost impossible unless he pulled a Bill Frieder.

Also, this Iron Bowl isn't just one game.  Gus loses and it would be 4 losses in a row to Bama.  His security going forward would be weakened. 

Why should this part of the Arkansas PTB deserve trust?  I doubt they considered AU beating UGa the way they did since this was orchestrated before the game.  I remember when our basketball program had higher standards as well and they fired Heath(correctly) when they just knew they had a coach lined up. 

It is always a soap opera with us. 
This man gets it.

Hawg Life

Gus vs. Bret

I prefer Mike Norvell.

Hawginj

Quote from: GWFan on November 17, 2017, 09:25:17 am

so we are either happy paying for a loser or paying out the azz for someone who wants to be here and thats a good thing?

East Clintwood

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 17, 2017, 09:00:37 am
We have Arkansas fans rooting for a coach at another school to beat Saban, and maybe win both the SEC championship (his second) and get into the national championship system (also his second time)...so they can avoid having him coach at Arkansas.

Makes perfect sense.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Don't want him.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 11:54:34 am
Gus vs. Bret

I prefer Mike Norvell.

He is 0-0 in SEC, so....

NuttinItUp

The question is, does Auburn winning the Iron Bowl increase the chances that CBB is here next year? (so that the PTB can have time to get Gus and/or hire a AD)

(Note: I am not saying it is likely to happen overall, just MORE likely with an Iron Bowl win for Auburn.)

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 12:56:13 pm
Iron Bowl is of no consequence.

Least correct statement I have read all day.

ipigsooie

I have 3 words if this post is correct.  "WAR DAMN EAGLE!"

HF#1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:13:16 pm
Least correct statement I have read all day.

If Gus leaves Auburn, he has already made up his mind to do so. Win or lose vs Alabama, doesn't matter. I understand why you disagree, since you started the thread and all.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Stillwater

You are correct, money won't be an issue either.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gus come at a bargain price.   

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:14:30 pm
If Gus leaves Auburn, he has already made up his mind to do so. Win or lose vs Alabama, doesn't matter.

So if Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and SECCG, then he leaves before the playoffs? 

That makes absolutely no sense. Sorry.

HF#1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:15:35 pm

I didn't say he would leave immediately following the Iron Bowl. If they make the playoffs, I would expect him to coach them through that, then join Arkansas.

But as of right now, he has already made up his mind to leave, if he leaves.

Been10Hog

Someone gets it! It's Gus's decision! If he wants to be a Hog he can do it after getting his ass whipped by Bama or after winning a championship ring!

Been10Hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:15:35 pm

He leaves after winng a NC if he wants to come here! Forget the "early signing date" crap! There's a late one too! If we want him and he wants us we wait!! Dilly dilly

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:16:19 pm
I didn't say he would leave immediately following the Iron Bowl. If they make the playoffs, I would expect him to coach them through that, then join Arkansas.

But as of right now, he has already made up his mind to leave, if he leaves.

So, in your scenario, if he makes his mind up to leave, he is going to leave after the playoffs are over? Who says Arkansas is going to wait that long?

Again, makes no sense.

247Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 17, 2017, 10:22:22 am

Good post. Only thing i'd change is he's 2nd on my list.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HF#1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:18:47 pm
So, in your scenario, if he makes his mind up to leave, he is going to leave after the playoffs are over? Who says Arkansas is going to wait that long?

Again, makes no sense.

If Malzahn is the guy and has already accepted the position, they would absolutely wait.

Been10Hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:18:47 pm

Again, makes no sense.
You seem to have a problem with higher level thinking. Why does he have to wait until after the playoffs to make his mind up? His mind may already be made up and that has been passed on to who needs to know and we have who we want but don't announce it until after he is done playing! Get it?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:20:12 pm
If Malzahn is the guy and has already accepted the position, they would absolutely wait.

I'll take your word for it. Seems a bit outside the norm, though.

ipigsooie

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:21:54 pm
I'll take your word for it. Seems a bit outside the norm, though.

Better be a contract.  We will be in deep crap if he chages his mind after auburn offers more money after they make it to the playoffs.

ipigsooie

I would hope we werent stupid enough to take Gus at his word.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:20:12 pm

No they wouldn't. They can't afford to with the early signing period looming in late December. At the earliest, he'd have to agree to leave Auburn after the SECCG win or lose and he won't do that.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 17, 2017, 01:21:28 pm
You seem to have a problem with higher level thinking. Why does he have to wait until after the playoffs to make his mind up? His mind may already be made up and that has been passed on to who needs to know and we have who we want but don't announce it until after he is done playing! Get it?

The incorrect point made was that the Iron Bowl game does not matter. If in fact the Iron Bowl game does not matter and he has already decided, then going all the way to the playoffs or losing the Iron Bowl (and not going to the playoffs) would be of equal consequence.

There are other factors at play. Notably the difference in timing (January 8, 2018 vs November 25, 2017) and the attitudes of Auburn administration/fans (win vs. lose against Bama and playoffs vs. no playoffs).

To say those factors do not matter to something as big as a coaching change for two SEC West schools is not understanding how these things work.