Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 MLB Hot Stove

Started by Captain Morgan, December 16, 2015, 07:01:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Morgan

I'm a longtime lurker and new poster to hogville. I'm a fan of the Texas Rangers and yes Cardinal fans I know about 5 years ago  :-[

During the weekdays I listen to Inside Pitch with Casey Stern, Cliff Floyd and Jim Bowden on XM while working. I get the daily inside information from their sources on the best baseball show on the radio.

Casey Stern has a great quote on Inside pitch. The quote is "Prospects are cool but Parades are cooler." I agree with the statement but also keep in mind I'm the prospects guy and know about a lot of the top 100 prospects throughout the MLB. Its similar to what recruiting experts on here know about incoming recruits in football or basketball.

Nonetheless, the 3 way deal between the Reds, White Sox and Dodgers was a win for the Dodgers and White Sox. To put it frankly, the Reds didn't get anything better than a B grade prospect in this deal. The actual best prospect in the deal was the pitcher Montas that the Dodgers got.

Other moves today, Indians shelled out 12.5 million to 1B/LF Mike Napoli who has hit lefthanders really well through his career and even in his recent decline. Napoli can be a liability against righthanders and his defense in LF is underwhelming. Napoli got a 1 year 7 million deal today with Cleveland. Cleveland also signed 4th OF Rajai Davis to 1 year 5.5 million. I would think that's pricey for a platoon player but UZR says he can play above replacement level at all 3 OF positions.

Angels today signed Red Sox and Tampa reject Daniel Nava, who can play corner OF positions and is more of a 4th OF type. Nava will have to beat out recent Rule V selection 1B/LF Ji-Man Choi and former Razorback OF Craig Gentry.

Well, I look forward to discussion on this hot stove and hope to enjoy MLB discussion on hogville.  ;)

ucahogfan

Concerning the trade today with the Reds/Dodgers/White Sox, it will be interesting to see if the Dodgers use Montas as part of the package to make a run for Jose Fernandez.  The Dodgers are one of the only systems who has the depth to be able to get Fernandez since he will require a huge return both in terms of elite prospects and number of prospects.  To get Fernandez, it will probably require one of Urias/Seager, Jose De Leon, one of Montas/Holmes as the main prospects and probably one more top 10 and top 20 guy in the Dodgers system.  It would require a huge haul considering Fernandez is a young ace who doesn't hit FA until 2018.  The Marlins could re-stock their farm system with this one trade.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 16, 2015, 08:54:10 pm
Concerning the trade today with the Reds/Dodgers/White Sox, it will be interesting to see if the Dodgers use Montas as part of the package to make a run for Jose Fernandez.  The Dodgers are one of the only systems who has the depth to be able to get Fernandez since he will require a huge return both in terms of elite prospects and number of prospects.  To get Fernandez, it will probably require one of Urias/Seager, Jose De Leon, one of Montas/Holmes as the main prospects and probably one more top 10 and top 20 guy in the Dodgers system.  It would require a huge haul considering Fernandez is a young ace who doesn't hit FA until 2018.  The Marlins could re-stock their farm system with this one trade.

The recent news is Dodgers are going after Jake Ordaruzzi or Danny Salazar. The failed physical with Iwakuma certainly didn't help matters.

With the failed physical with the Dodgers Iwakuma returns back to Seattle. Seattle has a strong rotation of Felix, Iwakuma, Miley, Walker and Kurns.

Tigers today signed super utility player Mike Aviles. Aviles can play all 4 Infield positions as well as the corners in the outfield. This is a depth piece but a solid veteran pickup.

Oakland picked up Henderson Alvarez today who is coming off an injury. Typical Oakland signing. Low risk and high reward move.

Texas Rangers found their back-end starter as they bring Colby Lewis back to fill in their 4th spot in the rotation and 204 innings pitched is pretty good for a 1 year 6 million deal. The Rangers rotation of Hamels, Darvish, Perez, Lewis and Holland might be the best rotation in the AL in 2016. Rangers also signed OF/1B Justin Ruggaino to platoon and hit against lefties.