Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would the purse need to look like to attract a coach of Malazahns caliber?

Started by Sourpuss, November 17, 2017, 01:42:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

Lane Kiffin or Scott Frost would be a much safer gamble because of the $$$$$

longpig

Figuring Kristi into the equation should reduce his compensation significantly.
Don't be scared, be smart.

GuvHog

Quote from: greenie on November 17, 2017, 02:29:17 pm
If it comes to it, Norvell shouldn't sniff a $4M offer from anyone. He's been a HC at Memphis for 2 years. His resume isn't a third of what Bielema's was when we hired him, yet people are convinced he's a proven winner and worth proven money. I like the guy, but he's a bigger risk than CBB was, and the risk gets inflated in proportion to the salary.

4 Million a year isn't what I'd call proven money. In this day and age, about all Arkansas would get for less than 4 Million a year is either a Coordinator to become HC or a lower division HC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The OTR

Truthfully I think Gus turns us down. He'll get a nice raise out of it, especially if he wins against Alabama or even plays them close.  He'd like to rub our noses in it...would get a kick out of it, in fact.  Seems like most of us are coming around to the idea of him being the next coach but if we offer and he turns us down he will be the most hated man in the history of Hogville.  We're nothing if not fickle and angry as a fan base. 

If Jeff Long was still around I'd swear the whole Gus mess was just another elaborate smokescreen.  I can't imagine that his replacement is as adept at smokescreens as Long but maybe she sat back and learned something from the master.

I think Norvell is a realistic choice and all signs point to him being out next coach unless CBB wins out or if there's something that nobody knows about going on behind the scenes. 

CBB came out of left field and was on nobody's radar.  I would not be shocked at all to see another equally as surprising. 

Hawginj

Quote from: greenie on November 17, 2017, 02:29:17 pm
If it comes to it, Norvell shouldn't sniff a $4M offer from anyone. He's been a HC at Memphis for 2 years. His resume isn't a third of what Bielema's was when we hired him, yet people are convinced he's a proven winner and worth proven money. I like the guy, but he's a bigger risk than CBB was, and the risk gets inflated in proportion to the salary.
I complete agree we don't need to pay Norvell 4mill. Hasn't earned that yet save some money give him enough to get assistants he will need for SEC.

hoghiker

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:46:05 pm
it would take 6 minimum IMO.  he ain't leaving a contender for pocket change.
I disagree with this some. If Gus does come, which I'm ambivalent about, he's coming because he wants to. The money would have to match whats he's making for sure but I don't think he worth more than he's currently making. 

jgphillips3

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:35:00 pm
4 Million a year isn't what I'd call proven money. In this day and age, about all Arkansas would get for less than 4 Million a year is either a Coordinator to become HC or a lower division HC.
we hired CBB at 3.2 and he was as close to proven as you get.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:47:23 pm
do you want to win?

Saban - 11.1
Dabo - 8.5
harbaugh 7.0
urban 6.4

if we want to be in the same sentence with those teams like auburn is about to be.

we gotta put malzahn in the same tax bracket.

You don't just toss money at the coach and expect to win. You get a winning coach and then pay that much when they're proven. Gus is far from proven.

pigmania

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 01:49:39 pm
Yes, but he isn't worth 5 Million a year. Norvell or Venables would be just as good at 4.5 Million a year.
LOL. I would have loved to have had a coaching contract with you and Long. You two would make me super rich not knowing what the hell I was doing.

Piggfoot

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:11:59 pm
If Malzahn was as good as those coaches he listed, he would be worth the money but he isn't as good as those coaches.
Guv, Guv, Guv. I believe you've breathed too much embalming fluid.
Norvell is worth a little more  than his present salary of 1.86 million per year.
He has not won any major games . He has not played any major games.
Malzahn is making 4.725 million as I type. As an OC ( actually the main coach) he has won a NC, He has played for another. He just beat the #1 team in the USA. How do you get that Norvell  is anywhere close to Malzahn ? Norvell is a copy cat. Norvell may develop into a great coach but he has done nothing to deserve that status now.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 17, 2017, 02:42:07 pm
You don't just toss money at the coach and expect to win. You get a winning coach and then pay that much when they're proven. Gus is far from proven.
sure...and we passed him over 2 or 3 times already because he is "unproven" meanwhile he has won at every stop and is about to go to the playoffs again. 

regardless if you think he is worth it, he is operating on the same tier as those coaches.  if we want him we will have to pay him what those coaches are paid.

otherwise we can watch him win championships at auburn while we play the coaching carousel every few years looking for a bargain.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ipigsooie

Gus base salary is 4.75 million.  With incentives he could make up to 6 million this year alone. I understand what home feels like but wow! I cant imagine him making that here. It is also estimated that his staff makes over 4 million a year which we pay whether they come or not due to his buyout clause. If we get gus it will not be cheap. Im pretty sure we arent getting a huge hometown discount.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:45:16 pm
sure...and we passed him over 2 or 3 times already because he is "unproven" meanwhile he has won at every stop and is about to go to the playoffs again.
8 7 8 with more resources than we have.

Not much better than Bret, tbh

longpig

PorkSoda

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 17, 2017, 02:46:20 pm
8 7 8 with more resources than we have.

lol, actually much better than bret.

not sure how you can even say that with a straight face.

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2017, 02:43:54 pm
Norvell is worth a little more  than his present salary of 1.86 million per year.
Malzahn is making 4.725 million as I type. As an OC ( actually the main coach) he has won a NC, He has played for another. He just beat the #1 team in the USA. How do you get that Norvell  is anywhere close to Malzahn ? Norvell is a copy cat. Norvell may develop into a great coach but he has done nothing to deserve that status now.

Norvell isn't quite as good as Gus but Gus isn't worth shelling out 6 Million a year to get him.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:48:46 pm
lol, actually much better than bret.

not sure how you can even say that with a straight face.

One win a year difference over the past three

Hawginj

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2017, 02:43:54 pm
you have never seen a Norvell offense have you? It is the polar opposite of Gus's lol. Its more like what Pinkle ran when Missouri was lighting up the turf air and ground. Please for the love of God know of what you speak before you speak it.

PorkSoda

rhog1

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:54:00 pm
last 3 years

52  - 20
56 - 3
54 - 46
Everyone acknowledges Arkansas has been terrible, This isn't an endorsement for Gus. 

moses_007

He will take our job for $4 million just to get back home.  Money won't drive him here.  He's made plenty at AU.

Hawginj

last 3 years

52  - 20
56 - 3
54 - 46
and that has everything to do with how bad Bret is than how good Gus is end of story. Now do Gus vs Les/O, or Gus vs Merlin or even Gus vs Freeze!

PorkSoda

Quote from: rhog1 on November 17, 2017, 02:55:38 pm
Everyone acknowledges Arkansas has been terrible, This isn't an endorsement for Gus. 
everyone but the person I was replying to.

we have people literally saying a top 10 coach isnt that good while pimping some nobody that had one good year with someone elses players.

Hawginj

Quote from: moses_007 on November 17, 2017, 02:55:56 pm
He will take our job for $4 million just to get back home.  Money won't drive him here.  He's made plenty at AU.
I highly doubt it.

ipigsooie

Smh! Now we think he is coming home to a perceived "weaker program," and we think its going to be for less money? Riiiigghhttt. Some people are living in a fantasy land.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:57:07 pm
everyone but the person I was replying to.

we have people literally saying a top 10 coach isnt that good while pimping some nobody that had one good year with someone elses players.

You do realize that most of the Memphis Tiger starters are sophomores and Freshmen recruited by Norvell don't you??

BearsBisonsBoars

last 3 years

52  - 20
56 - 3
54 - 46

So? The discussion is what Gus has done to earn the money, not what he has done to us. Beating the doors off one of our worst coaches ever doesn't change the fact that his record is not much better.

Good defenses figured out his high school gimmick offense after that first year. He's a has been. He's being carried forward this year on the strength of the Auburn program and the quality of his coordiantors.

The only reason people in Arkansas sit around jerking it to his memory is because they're busy fighting the slights of the past while our opponents pass us by.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 17, 2017, 03:03:25 pm
So? The discussion is what Gus has done to earn the money, not what he has done to us. Beating the doors off one of our worst coaches ever doesn't change the fact that his record is not much better.

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 17, 2017, 02:46:20 pm

so he beat the doors off bret, but he is "not much better" 

with that logic, you are not much smarter than a mushroom.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:07:41 pm
so he beat the doors off bret, but he is "not much better" 

with that logic, you are not much smarter than a mushroom.

Not including my full quote makes you a liar.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 17, 2017, 03:10:36 pm
Not including my full quote makes you a liar.
lol, so that isn't what you said?

its there for everyone to read.  malzahn is not much better than bret.  that is your stance. 

if you are changing your opinion now that you realize how absurd it is. well bravo.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 17, 2017, 03:11:08 pm
well his buyout is close to 7 million and then his actual contract  5-6 million perhaps?   Personally, I think he is just playing Arkansas against Auburn and going with whomever comes out on top.   If Auburn gets into the playoffs......good luck.
this is the most likely scenario.  he plays the arkansas angle, gets a hefty raise out of auburn, we go the up and comer route.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:14:08 pm
lol, so that isn't what you said?

its there for everyone to read.  malzahn is not much better than bret.  that is your stance. 

if you are changing your opinion now that you realize how absurd it is. well bravo.

No, that isn't what he said and you know it. He said Gus's record the last 4 years isn't much better than Bret's.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:52:15 pm
lol, gus isn't worth 5 but a complete unknown is worth 4.5?

like I said, if we want to win and we want gus then its going to take putting his salary up there with urban and harbough

Amen.  I disagree wholeheartedly with all of the people who are saying that to pay him more is ridiculous because we aren't a top tier program, blah, blah.  You pay a top tier coach top tier money in order to be a top tier program.  Those who say otherwise are accepting this mediocrity that Long and Bielema tried to sell us.  They are on their way out and so should this line of thinking. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 03:18:47 pm
No, that isn't what he said and you know it. He said Gus's record the last 4 years isn't much better than Bret's.
and why would he say that if not to imply a similarity in coaching talent?

or here is another way to look at it.  if the worst coach in arkansas history can win 7 games, just think what a championship caliber coach like malzahn could do here.

GuvHog

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 17, 2017, 03:20:20 pm
Amen.  I disagree wholeheartedly with all of the people who are saying that to pay him more is ridiculous because we aren't a top tier program, blah, blah.  You pay a top tier coach top tier money in order to be a top tier program.  Those who say otherwise are accepting this mediocrity that Long and Bielema tried to sell us.  They are on their way out and so should this line of thinking. 

The problem with that is Gus isn't a top tier head coach.

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 03:25:15 pm

How do you figure? At worst he is right below the active coaches with a natty. Equal to guys like Peterson, Brian Kelly, etc.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

longpig

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:47:23 pm
do you want to win?

Saban - 11.1
Dabo - 8.5
harbaugh 7.0
urban 6.4

if we want to be in the same sentence with those teams like auburn is about to be.

we gotta put malzahn in the same tax bracket.

These numbers look like total compensation, not contracted salary.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 02:31:40 pm
I've stated it on countless threads and I'm done repeating myself. Read is the best thing I can tell you tons of actual comparisons, stats, and info.

Do you promise?  ???

Hawginj

greenie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 03:25:15 pm

I guess that all depends on what you mean by "top tier".  In the SEC, Saban is probably better, but I can't think of another one that is...maybe Mullen, but that's a toss up.  Outside the SEC, I can think of 5 or 6 that you could argue about possibly being better.  I'm no fan of Gus, but good gosh the man has been successful everywhere he's been...and that includes in the toughest conference/division in football.  Now compare that to what Norvell has done...next to nothing.  Not even two years as a head coach at Memphis.  He may turn out to be great, but anyone that would currently put him in the same category as Malzahn is emotionally driven to do so.

longpig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 17, 2017, 02:55:56 pm

Very likely if the rumors are true that he and the dingbat are miserable at Auburn.

B Ray

last 3 years

52  - 20
56 - 3
54 - 46
nothing against Gus , but is this more a plus for Gus or more of what we have with Beilema ?

PorkSoda

Quote from: B Ray on November 17, 2017, 03:36:56 pm
nothing against Gus , but is this more a plus for Gus or more of what we have with Beilema ?
that was for the benefit of the idiot that thinks CBB and Gus are some how comparable. 

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:43:33 pm
that was for the benefit of the idiot that thinks CBB and Gus are some how comparable. 

Well Arkansas did beat Auburn 54-46 in 2015.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 03:49:03 pm
Well Arkansas did beat Auburn 54-46 in 2015.
on the back of some unlikely clutch play by Brandon Allen, which has yet to be repeated by anyone.

Pigasaurus

This thread=I see some numbers in my a$$. I think I will pull them out.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy