Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lump Charcoal

Started by mgolf, March 19, 2018, 03:09:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mgolf

Stopped in at Harp's on 265 and found a whole pallet of Ozark Oak lump charcoal. 20 pound bag was $12. Can't wait to use it and see if anything has changed.

PharmacistHog

I had heard they were just getting rid of some leftover stock.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

I think I'll swing by this am and check it out.  I don't suppose charcoal would deteriorate as long as it were kept dry, would it??
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

I miss Ozark Oak but Royal Oak working so far.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 20, 2018, 11:40:42 am
I miss Ozark Oak but Royal Oak working so far.
If I'm not mistaking, it's the same company.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 20, 2018, 12:10:09 pm
If I'm not mistaking, it's the same company.

That's what I thought.  Same stuff just in the Royal Oak bag.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 20, 2018, 12:17:02 pm
I'm pretty sure they make that stuff out in Madison County.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

twistitup

Bought some

Yellville back again
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boarcephus

Just got back from Harps and bought 4 bags.  I talked to the grocery manager and he said they got a note about a month ago saying they were going to start carrying it again so I'm guessing this stuff is new.  I had a lady check the price and evidently the $11.98 a bag is the sale price and may go up a buck when the sale is off.   

As a comparison, found some BGE the other day in 20 pound bags and the price was almost $30! 

DeltaBoy

BGE is over priced !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PharmacistHog

Ive been buying parker's. They carry it at congo stove in benton. $20/20lb bag and comparable to ozark oak or rockwood.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

twistitup

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 20, 2018, 02:27:05 pm
Just got back from Harps and bought 4 bags.  I talked to the grocery manager and he said they got a note about a month ago saying they were going to start carrying it again so I'm guessing this stuff is new.  I had a lady check the price and evidently the $11.98 a bag is the sale price and may go up a buck when the sale is off.   

As a comparison, found some BGE the other day in 20 pound bags and the price was almost $30! 

They tried bagging for a private label...then found out it wasn't as lucrative as selling direct or the brand they were bagging for tried to lower the price (if Wal Mart was involved this is what happened) and said F it - we will just go back to selling Oz Oak.

Boarcephus

March 20, 2018, 03:47:54 pm #12 Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:10:56 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: twistitup on March 20, 2018, 03:41:41 pm
They tried bagging for a private label...then found out it wasn't as lucrative as selling direct or the brand they were bagging for tried to lower the price (if Wal Mart was involved this is what happened) and said F it - we will just go back to selling Oz Oak.

That may very well be what happened.  A 15 1/2 bag of Royal Oak goes for about $10 at Walmart.

Just makes me wonder, if Ozark Oak is not making charcoal for Royal Oak, wonder what RO is putting in their bags these days?  The only reason I switched to RO was because Ozark Oak was putting their product in the RO bags. 

twistitup

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 20, 2018, 03:47:54 pm
That may very well be what happened.  A 15 1/2 bag of Royal Oak goes for about $10 at Walmart.

Just makes me wonder, if Ozark Oak is not making charcoal for Royal Oak, wonder what RO is putting in their bags these days?  The only reason I switched to RO was because Ozark Oak was putting their product in the RO bags. 

Royal Oak is the company they were bagging for....and in true WM fashion they tried to low ball the manufacturer - they have put a many of company out of business doing this. Ozark Oak already had a following - they will be fine. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: twistitup on March 20, 2018, 06:25:30 pm
Royal Oak is the company they were bagging for....and in true WM fashion they tried to low ball the manufacturer - they have put a many of company out of business doing this. Ozark Oak already had a following - they will be fine. 

Sounds good.  Always have liked doing business with local people when I can.  I ordered a CC holster last week from a one man operation up around Conway who came with rave reviews.  Can't wait to get that mother in.

DeltaBoy

I got a nice 2 pack of Royal Oak and one I get over my own spring sickness I going to get the Weber smoking.

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: twistitup on March 20, 2018, 06:25:30 pm
I live a couple miles from the Ozark Oak kilns and know the guys that started it They started bagging for RO but ended up selling out to them.  RO got the warehouse full of OO and really just started selling it again

twistitup

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on April 01, 2018, 08:02:43 am
I live a couple miles from the Ozark Oak kilns and know the guys that started it They started bagging for RO but ended up selling out to them.  RO got the warehouse full of OO and really just started selling it again

It's great that OO is back selling!

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 20, 2018, 12:17:02 pm
It's the same stuff.  Slabs come from same sawmills, made in the same kilns but RO owns it...

ozarkshogfan

I don't think RO is gonna bag any more in OO bags, just moving what's been sitting around since they bought the place

DeltaBoy

ozarkshogfan

According to the former owner of Ozark Oak, when he sold to Royal Oak he left around a 100,000 empty Ozark Oak bags there. RO didn't bag any charcoal in them bags. Duraflame just bought Royal Oak a couple months ago and are bagging in the OO bags for now but own the name and logo...

DeltaBoy

bigstyx

Bought 2 bags yesterday, still $11.98. Haven't opened or used them yet. Optimistic that it will be the same Ozark Oak quality we had been used to.

twistitup

Quote from: bigstyx on April 17, 2018, 02:42:28 pm
Bought 2 bags yesterday, still $11.98. Haven't opened or used them yet. Optimistic that it will be the same Ozark Oak quality we had been used to.

It's the good stuff, I've been buying and using it.

hogbud

Bought a couple bags - hope it stays on market. Have had decent luck with Cowboy brand at Atwood's prior.

ozarkshogfan

The last couple 20 pound bags I got worked great but lots of it was pretty big pieces, but not a problem.  The reason ya didn't see 20 pound bags before is because that's what Ozark Oak guys sold to BBQ joints.....

DeltaBoy

Stocked up on Royal Oak!