Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our best 5

Started by dawn2tusk, October 21, 2017, 07:35:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn2tusk

Macon, Barford, Hall, Thomas, Gafford.  I feel strong about this.  Thompson will be solid off the bench but Gafford's ceiling is too high. Really liked what I saw from Hall too. He's a legit 6'6" and maybe 6'7" that  can defend 1 through 4 most nights. I like him with Macon & Barford because the offense will be fine when they're both in the game.  Other notes...CJ Jones will be instant offense off the bench. Beard didn't have a great night but the weight loss is apparent and I saw flashes enough to say he'll be improved this year. Bailey struggled but he's very active and looks more comfortable with his shot. Gets in trouble when he has to put it on the floor. Harris will benefit for sitting a year. He didn't really do it for me. I see some bj young in him when the ball is in his hands but he's probably an inch or two shorter and really needs to get some confidence in his jumper. Gabe O with some added strength and experience should be in the rotation next year.

Rome26

Quote from: dawn2tusk on October 21, 2017, 07:35:01 am
Macon, Barford, Hall, Thomas, Gafford.  I feel strong about this.  Thompson will be solid off the bench but Gafford's ceiling is too high. Really liked what I saw from Hall too. He's a legit 6'6" and maybe 6'7" that  can defend 1 through 4 most nights. I like him with Macon & Barford because the offense will be fine when they're both in the game.  Other notes...CJ Jones will be instant offense off the bench. Beard didn't have a great night but the weight loss is apparent and I saw flashes enough to say he'll be improved this year. Bailey struggled but he's very active and looks more comfortable with his shot. Gets in trouble when he has to put it on the floor. Harris will benefit for sitting a year. He didn't really do it for me. I see some bj young in him when the ball is in his hands but he's probably an inch or two shorter and really needs to get some confidence in his jumper. Gabe O with some added strength and experience should be in the rotation next year.

I think CJ is better than Hall at this point, but it does make more sense for him to come off the bench to give the 2nd unit some offense.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Rome26 on October 21, 2017, 10:11:45 am
I think CJ is better than Hall at this point, but it does make more sense for him to come off the bench to give the 2nd unit some offense.

Hall looked as good as his high lite tapes. He will be a force. Also Gabe O looks like he can play in the paint which I really wasn't expecting anything from him this year.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

parallaxpig

Plus taking from Nolan/Mike........it ain't who starts its who finishes..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

BannerMountainMan

Macon, Barford, Jones, Bailey, Gafford. Except I like Thomas as well at the 4 since he has a lot of experience.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

MakingPlays

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 21, 2017, 10:20:36 am
Macon, Barford, Jones, Bailey, Gafford. Except I like Thomas as well at the 4 since he has a lot of experience.

^ This is the best 5 IMO.  I think Jones is ready, his confidence level is really high right now.  And I agree with you about Thomas, you could go either way with him or Bailey, not much separation right now, and you usually go with the upperclassman if it's about equal.

The_Iceman

CJ is one of the best 5, but it doesn't make much sense having him in there with Barford and Macon to start the game. Need to spread out the offense. But, wouldn't be surprised to see him in there at the end.

Pinto

Dayday will be our glue guy for the next few years

mbgrulz

This team has some really good talent and depth...now, if we can add Khalil Garland to it, then wow! I really hope he gets the all clear soon!

HOGINTENNESSEE

I'm interested to see Gafford's FT shooting. IMO that will be the difference who plays between him and Thompson in crunch time

Pinto

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 21, 2017, 12:33:27 pm
I'm interested to see Gafford's FT shooting. IMO that will be the difference who plays between him and Thompson in crunch time

This isn't the NBA bro lol

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Pinto on October 21, 2017, 11:35:48 am

An underrated 4 star as our glue guy... and people say the program isn't trending up.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Pinto on October 21, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Manny Watkins 2.0

hogcam

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 21, 2017, 03:22:23 pm
Manny Watkins 2.0
I disagree. Should be able to develop a more all around game

chiti66

Macon, Barford, CJ, Thomas, Gafford.....athletic, offense and solid D. 

TheSportsGuy

Bailey has improved tremendously.  He's one of our top 5 easily

cardsNhogs

cardsNhogs

Macon, Barford, Jones, Bailey, Gafford

King Kong

Quote from: Pinto on October 21, 2017, 01:35:21 pm

People still get fouled in crutch time bro

Rome26

Quote from: cardsNhogs on October 21, 2017, 04:19:05 pm
Macon, Barford, Jones, Bailey, Gafford

Most athletic front court in hogs history if they roll with that lineup. Still think CJ's offense will be needed more with the 2nd unit.

cableguy

I am a big Darious Hall fan. He will help us win close games because he can do so many things. He will be a first round pick in the NBA if he develops a 3 point shot.

Sow Lancelot

Excited for this year.

Anyone know what the officiating 'focus' will be this season?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Letsroll1200

Manny Watkins developed to be a solid player under this staff. Im excited about what this staff could do with Hall. Hall and Watkins dont compare from a size and athletic standpoint.

I think it would be best to start Hall in place of Beard. However, I think coach Anderson will go with Beard in the starting line up with Thomas, Thompson, Macon and Barford.

HoopS

Calling him a glue guy doesn't equate to him being Manny 2.0.

It just means he's gonna be someone who will do a lot of things for the team. He will play hard. He will grab some boards. He will deflect some passes. He can be used in various roles. Players will respect him and feed off of his play. Coaches like guys who they can trust to do various things. They're guys you gotta have.

That said - Manny and Day Day are different players. Day Day appears to have serious upside and more size and athleticism.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HoopS on October 21, 2017, 06:12:04 pm
Calling him a glue guy doesn't equate to him being Manny 2.0.

It just means he's gonna be someone who will do a lot of things for the team. He will play hard. He will grab some boards. He will deflect some passes. He can be used in various roles. Players will respect him and feed off of his play. Coaches like guys who they can trust to do various things. They're guys you gotta have.

That said - Manny and Day Day are different players. Day Day appears to have serious upside and more size and athleticism.

I call him Manny 2.0 as a huge compliment. The 2.0 references a bigger, better, more athletic version of Watkins.

I've not got to watch Hall a whole lot but it seems like he does a lot of things really well. He's a great defensive player with a high basketball IQ. He does all the little things that you need to win that aren't all that glamorous.

I loved Manny and hope Hall brings the intangibles that he did.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: cardsNhogs on October 21, 2017, 04:18:22 pm
I am no longer excited about Hall then.

Yeah, why would you want a selfless player who has high basketball IQ and does all the little things to help his team win. Nothing to be excited about there...

Hawg414

HardingHog

Pinto

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 21, 2017, 03:22:23 pm
Manny Watkins 2.0

Waaaaay more athletic and more talented than Manny. But the Manny was a coach on the floor...

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on October 21, 2017, 04:35:40 pm
People still get fouled in crutch time bro

Not to the extent were you would have to take a non ballhandling player out of the game.

Pinto

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 21, 2017, 05:22:56 pm
Manny Watkins developed to be a solid player under this staff. Im excited about what this staff could do with Hall. Hall and Watkins dont compare from a size and athletic standpoint.

I think it would be best to start Hall in place of Beard. However, I think coach Anderson will go with Beard in the starting line up with Thomas, Thompson, Macon and Barford.

Yeah that will be the starting lineup for the first three games or so just because of respect and seniority. But everyone knows that not the best five...

gmarv

It should be interesting to see who coach A has in the last five minutes of games.

Nolan's Boots

Our best 5 imo is Gafford, Thompson, Macon, Barford and Hall with Jones being a close 6th. I just think Halls intangibles outweigh Jones scoring ability at this point. I believe our starting 5 will have Bailey instead of Trey. Jones in that second can best utilize his volume scoring ability while the starters rest and also keeps the pressure off Anton to try to be there savior of the second unit.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Pinto on October 22, 2017, 03:48:18 am
Waaaaay more athletic and more talented than Manny. But the Manny was a coach on the floor...

That's why I said version 2.0. Bigger, better version. But does all the little winning things that you need. Not looking to "get his" but looking to win.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogcam on October 21, 2017, 03:36:33 pm
I disagree. Should be able to develop a more all around game

then, that would be a really nice game...

The_Bionic_Pig

This team's starting lineup will be determined by the opponent.  What I mean by that is if it's a rebounding juggernaut & methodically paced Seton Hall or Fast Break team like last season's Florida/Kentucky squads that Jack up a lot of 3's.

CJ is a Zone buster who is freakishly athletic. He may not start but will lead this team in scoring on more than one occasion if his ball handling & defensive basketball IQ have indeed improved.

Anton is nowhere near the best Defensive player but he is the best at picking pockets.  His anticipation of the ball is exceptional, unfortunately his reliance on that has gotten him in foul trouble more often than any of his teamates.

I realize we haven't factored in Khalil Garland due to his current health but when he joins the lineup you just added a 6'6 PG/SG.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dominicanhog

it's our best 8 or 9.. we'll need scoring from everybody and defensive match-ups will dictate the 5 on the floor.. w/o KG and AC, we are not as deep as you'd hope.. Barford, Macon and Gafford/Trey are starters for sure.. DT is a good bet to be in the mix... the rest is by committee...

King Kong

Quote from: Pinto on October 22, 2017, 03:49:30 am
Not to the extent were you would have to take a non ballhandling player out of the game.

Yes, you do. Watch if it's crutch time Thompson will be on the floor and not Gafford if Gafford car't shoot 60% from the FT line.

You get in the single bonus and a 50% shooter will waste possessions when fouled

SPAL

Quote from: Pinto on October 21, 2017, 01:35:21 pm

I've been around hogville for over a decade. I've seen a lot over that time. Alot of good posters have come and gone and plenty of dumb posters as well. In that span, I've witnessed some downright garbage posts. A lot of posts that are cringe worthy. We even had an award at one time called the "Coopy" awards named after Cooper. Who remembers coop?

Anyway, I digress. All of those garbage posts that have been made throughout the annals of time, not one....not a single, solitary post could possibly hold a candle to the ridiculousness and downright stupidity that the quoted post possesses.

I had to read it 54 times to see if I missed some context or maybe it was sarcasm. But, I really think it was an honest to God bit of information that somehow found it's way out of the hippocampus and through the amygdala , hitched a ride on some passing neurons, found it's way into this guys fingers and appeared in jump ball of hogville.net.

It is amazing to think how much work it took for the brain to transmit some bit of ignorance that appeared as text on a website.

The_Iceman

What Mike will likely go with at the end of games:

Barford
Macon
Beard
Thompson
Gafford

I could see Mike bringing CJ in for Beard on an offensive/defensive sub pattern.

Pinto

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 27, 2017, 02:45:39 pm
I've been around hogville for over a decade. I've seen a lot over that time. Alot of good posters have come and gone and plenty of dumb posters as well. In that span, I've witnessed some downright garbage posts. A lot of posts that are cringe worthy. We even had an award at one time called the "Coopy" awards named after Cooper. Who remembers coop?

Anyway, I digress. All of those garbage posts that have been made throughout the annals of time, not one....not a single, solitary post could possibly hold a candle to the ridiculousness and downright stupidity that the quoted post possesses.

I had to read it 54 times to see if I missed some context or maybe it was sarcasm. But, I really think it was an honest to God bit of information that somehow found it's way out of the hippocampus and through the amygdala , hitched a ride on some passing neurons, found it's way into this guys fingers and appeared in jump ball of hogville.net.

It is amazing to think how much work it took for the brain to transmit some bit of ignorance that appeared as text on a website.

It is amazing at how much work it took you to type this to an individual who doesn't care what you think...

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 27, 2017, 03:30:49 pm
What Mike will likely go with at the end of games:

Barford
Macon
Beard
Thompson
Gafford

I could see Mike bringing CJ in for Beard on an offensive/defensive sub pattern.
I don't see Thompson and Gafford playing at the same time much..just like kingsley and Portis didn't
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Pinto

October 27, 2017, 03:42:33 pm #42 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:59:59 pm by Pinto
Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 11:26:25 am
Yes, you do. Watch if it's crutch time Thompson will be on the floor and not Gafford if Gafford car't shoot 60% from the FT line.

You get in the single bonus and a 50% shooter will waste possessions when fouled

The Hack a Shaq isn't common in college hoops

azhog10

Quote from: Pinto on October 27, 2017, 03:42:33 pm
The Hack a Shaq isn't common in college hoops
It will be if he's on the floor and shooting less than 50%. Teams will foul him all day especially if they are down. Could see it come into play more than in the past. Kingsley was enough of a threat at the FT line that teams couldn't risk it.

mhuff

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 27, 2017, 02:45:39 pm

I think this is more of a tirade than a dissertation because I sure didn't learn anything. Much to do about nothing. I think he was trying to impress the point that if you are behind in a grade school game or the NBA you always foul the worst FT shooter. One and one two shot foul, whatever.2