Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game in WMS April 7th

Started by ArKan5a5 KiD, January 25, 2018, 07:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on January 25, 2018, 03:26:53 pm
There was more construction going on last year....just sayin.

There wasn't a crane sitting on the 10 yard line....just sayin.

NoogaHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 25, 2018, 03:56:38 pm
The Hogs used to play a Spring game in WMS and in Fayetteville.
I attended the 1973 Spring Game in WMS.

I attended the Red-White game in WMS in (probably) 1980 with my dad and my uncle. My dad recognized Jerry Eckwood walking in the concourse and we got his autograph. He was wearing an orange TB Bucs jacket. My dad and uncle went on and on to me about how good he could have been at Arkansas.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogsanity

I guess the part about it being a rule that they can't play off campus is being missed by some. Had to get a special exemption to do it this one time due to construction.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NoogaHog

You gotta admit like it or not, WMS is a much better venue than the indoor practice facility. Last year was awful, even without RW3's injury.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hopeful Hog

This isn't a bad idea to me. The spring game isn't anything more than a glorified practice for the fans anyway so why not. Can this count as one of the games we are forced to play in that tiny dump though?

MORAZOR

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 25, 2018, 04:59:07 pm
You gotta admit like it or not, WMS is a much better venue than the indoor practice facility. Last year was awful, even without RW3's injury.
It was indoor last year due to inclement weather

FANONTHEHILL

And now we know!!  See you at WMS on April 7th!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Cotton

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 25, 2018, 03:59:52 pm
Why do people want games in LR? LSU fans don't demand games in New Orleans.
Gotta love the GSD...

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on January 25, 2018, 07:05:22 am
Does anyone have a idea or know when the Spring Game will be? I'd like to get tickets to the baseball game that same day since they usually try to coordinate that around a weekend the baseball team is playing at home. Any information would be appreciated.
Unfortunately you won't be able to do both this year...

Personally I'd go watch the Diamond Hogs.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on January 25, 2018, 05:17:04 pm

Sure you can, football at 1pm, baseball at 6pm.....

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Cotton on January 25, 2018, 05:17:04 pm

Baseball hosts Auburn that day.  Would have been a fun day.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 05:20:25 pm
Sure you can, football at 1pm, baseball at 6pm.....
I'll ride with you then.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

AirWarren

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 25, 2018, 04:59:07 pm

It was awful to watch on tv too.

MORAZOR

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RebHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 04:54:51 pm

To better connect our new staff and program across the state this Spring, Coach Morris and I have decided that we will be taking the spring game to War Memorial Stadium on April 7.
The change in venue will also benefit the ongoing construction at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium."

Why is everyone focusing on the contstruction it sounds like its just an additional positive to the main reason they stated before that. It says it will benefit the construction not required to move by construction...

ricepig

Quote from: RebHog on January 25, 2018, 05:26:02 pm
To better connect our new staff and program across the state this Spring, Coach Morris and I have decided that we will be taking the spring game to War Memorial Stadium on April 7.
The change in venue will also benefit the ongoing construction at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium."

Why is everyone focusing on the contstruction it sounds like its just an additional positive to the main reason they stated before that. It says it will benefit the construction not required to move by construction...

Because they had to get an SEC waiver to move it off campus due to the construction, correct?

ricepig

Gonzo

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2018, 03:18:48 pm
I would bet this will be a full house and there will be big time partying on the golf course for the Spring Game.

This was a great move by the new AD.

I agree. Seems like the regular season writing is on the wall for the future in LR, but this could be a good concession going forward, and a nice tradition to rebuild. Of course it really could be as simple as a one-time "due to construction" thing.

Go Hogs!

RebHog

It doesn't specifically say that but ya I guess one would assume that's why it was granted. Still the wording sounds to me like that was just an additional benefit.

ricepig

Quote from: RebHog on January 25, 2018, 05:41:03 pm
It doesn't specifically say that but ya I guess one would assume that's why it was granted. Still the wording sounds to me like that was just an additional benefit.

Well, currently the north 30 yards and end zone have construction material or protective covering over them, so it would be a lot of trouble to move it they aren't finished with that space.

ricepig

Trivia, who knows where the last off campus spring game was held for the Razorbacks?

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 04:54:51 pm
So you think this is legit? Lol. Obvious PR campaign starting is obvious. Doesn't make much difference to me, but one thing is becoming obvious...with the new AD/culture starting, WMS and the entire state are going to be part of the plan.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 25, 2018, 05:54:09 pm
So you think this is legit? Lol. Obvious PR campaign starting is obvious. Doesn't make much difference to me, but one thing is becoming obvious...with the new AD/culture starting, WMS and the entire state are going to be part of the plan.

Legit that there is a crane on the field, sure, unless it's a mirage.

AHiD

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 25, 2018, 04:43:27 pm
Coming from Arkansas Hog in Dallas, that's rich.

Why do we play a game in Dallas? LSU doesn't play a game in Houston.

I'm opposed to playing games in Dallas, as well. Unlike some of you, I don't need a game played where I live to be a fan.
My name...is Jerruh

hawgmasta

Got my popcorn ready for this one.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I think it makes alot of sense, now if we could only scrimmage ASU at the spring game we would have a great day!

Redhogs

This is awesome...We are the envy of the SEC...Bet it's not long before Alabama starts playing in Birmingham again. So damn excited.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

john

I like the idea. It seems like an "olive branch" to south, east, & central Arkansas. Now; south, east, & central Arkansas need to show up & demonstrate how important the Hogs are to us also. I'm assuming it'll b free admission-hopefully have great weather & draw a great crowd

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 05:51:23 pm
Trivia, who knows where the last off campus spring game was held for the Razorbacks?

Why, Hot Springs, of course.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I would bet this will be a full house and there will be big time partying on the golf course for the Spring Game.

I smell a concert at 7:pm..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Redhogs on January 25, 2018, 06:35:15 pm
This is awesome...We are the envy of the SEC...Bet it's not long before Alabama starts playing in Birmingham again. So damn excited.

Geez...c'mon people. This is just for this year because the area around RRS is a danged mess. Plus, it's a great opportunity to extend an olive branch to the folks who were alienated by Jeff Long. The overreaction to the location of a glorified scrimmage is hilarious.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

ricepig

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 25, 2018, 06:59:17 pm
Why, Hot Springs, of course.

Did you actually know that, or read it elsewhere as I did. Another fun fact from that event, the game was originally scheduled for WMS but had to be moved since WMS was deemed unsafe to host it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 07:11:57 pm
Did you actually know that, or read it elsewhere as I did. Another fun fact from that event, the game was originally scheduled for WMS but had to be moved since WMS was deemed unsafe to host it.

What year?

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 25, 2018, 07:08:07 pm
Flying would be easier...😉

I won't be at either, the plan right now is to take my youngest to Augusta and watch Austin.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 07:15:14 pm
I won't be at either, the plan right now is to take my youngest to Augusta and watch Austin.

Good choice. Gotta an extra seat on that plane?

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 25, 2018, 07:16:20 pm
Good choice. Gotta an extra seat on that plane?

Seats aren't a problem, Master's badges are, ha.

ricepig

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 07:11:57 pm

Have to admit I read it elsewhere, and I did not know it was because WMS was deemed unsafe. 

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

wachhog

This. No point in not playing up to more than half the state and big money folks. Long was lame.

bvillepig

I went to one in Little Rock when Holtz was there. I think we set the record for spring game attendance at that time with 30,000 plus.

Großer Kriegschwein

I remember going to spring games at WMS back in the 80s. Was a lot of fun.
This is my non-signature signature.

Piggie Smalls

To me this is an easy solution to playing games in Little Rock if you ask me. I think they should move all the games out of WMS (or keep one non-conference game there) and just play the spring game every year. It's a win-win situation and shouldn't upset central Arkansas too much. I don't see any downside to this, and it wouldn't put the Razorbacks at a competitive disadvantage like playing actual games at WMS would.

ricepig

Quote from: bvillepig on January 25, 2018, 07:22:09 pm
I went to one in Little Rock when Holtz was there. I think we set the record for spring game attendance at that time with 30,000 plus.

According to the ADG the largest crowd was 31,000 in 1972, or that's the way I read it. They may have just thrown out a random year, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Piggie Smalls on January 25, 2018, 07:28:29 pm
To me this is an easy solution to playing games in Little Rock if you ask me. I think they should move all the games out of WMS (or keep one non-conference game there) and just play the spring game every year. It's a win-win situation and shouldn't upset central Arkansas too much. I don't see any downside to this, and it wouldn't put the Razorbacks at a competitive disadvantage like playing actual games at WMS would.

Two problems, first, it's against SEC rules to have spring football practice off campus, and lastly, no recruits.

PonderinHog

Well, other than that it's a pretty good idea!