Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, Aggies had a hot day

Started by NuttinItUp, February 07, 2018, 11:25:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Just announced that A&M flipped 4-star ATH Vernon Jackson from Alabama.

They also signed 4-star defensive end Jeremiah Martin, 4-star offensive lineman Tank Jenkins, 4-star defensive lineman Bobby Brown and 4-star quarterback James Foster today. None of those players were committed prior to today.

I guess Jimbo hit the ground running, at least on recruiting.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Ā 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on February 07, 2018, 11:30:39 pm
And they'll go 7-5 again

Just as long as one of those wins isn't against us for the 7th year in a row.

Don't get me wrong, Georgia with their 7 (!!!!) 5-star commits is head-and-shoulders above everyone else this time around. I fully expect them to be the Alabama of the East for years to come.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on February 07, 2018, 11:30:39 pm
And they'll go 7-5 again

No, no they won't. This isn't going to be your Sumlin Aggies. I wish they were but Jimbo is no joke, we are gonna have our hands full dealing with these boys for the next few years. As if we needed another giant in our division.

Mjs84

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 12:37:33 am
No, no they won't. This isn't going to be your Sumlin Aggies. I wish they were but Jimbo is no joke, we are gonna have our hands full dealing with these boys for the next few years. As if we needed another giant in our division.

I really, really hate the Aggies.  Being said, we havnt beaten them in football since they joined the SEC.  I was actually hopeful that Jimbo would flunk the program worse than Sumlin, and we could lay a thumping on those ladyboys.  Looks like Jimbo may have the program running hot with those kind of recruits.  Puts a dent in our efforts to do the same.  Really wish they would go back to their own conference and play with Texas. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2018, 11:25:20 pm

They also signed 4-star defensive end Jeremiah Martin, 4-star offensive lineman Tank Jenkins, 4-star defensive lineman Bobby Brown and 4-star quarterback James Foster today. None of those players were committed prior to today.

Bobby Brown had been committed to the Ags earlier, decommitted, committed to 'Bama around Christmas, then signed with the Aggies. Yes, they had a busy day and a good one.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

When Johnny Manziel was there, they were supposed to be the next big thing until the NFL swooped Sumlin away was how the pundits talked. Then Kingsbury was going to go back there and wash, rinse, repeat.

The expectations are going to be enormous there, more than ever before and the contract they gave Fisher is going to be prohibitive to buy out if they go 8-5 every year.

Texas was down then. If Herman wins next year, they will be back on their perch as the top program in the state.

Past is prologue. In the 80s A&M gave the biggest contract in CFB to Jackie Sherrill who had won 33 games in 3 years at Pitt at one point. I had an Aggie coworker who hated Sherrill's guts from having dealt with him. He said Jackie would never win big there like that. He was right.

Coaches not named Saban or Meyer often fall off when they leave for "greener pastures." Fisher could have stayed at FSU a long time.. The ACC is a tough league but Clemson is the only school in that league who can recruit on even terms with FSU. Not the case in the SEC West.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

The Hogfather

They do it every year and then "underperform" on the field.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

A big arsed bunch of pusillanimous fraidy cats...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 08, 2018, 01:17:27 am
When Johnny Manziel was there, they were supposed to be the next big thing until the NFL swooped Sumlin away was how the pundits talked. Then Kingsbury was going to go back there and wash, rinse, repeat.

The expectations are going to be enormous there, more than ever before and the contract they gave Fisher is going to be prohibitive to buy out if they go 8-5 every year.

Texas was down then. If Herman wins next year, they will be back on their perch as the top program in the state.

Past is prologue. In the 80s A&M gave the biggest contract in CFB to Jackie Sherrill who had won 33 games in 3 years at Pitt at one point. I had an Aggie coworker who hated Sherrill's guts from having dealt with him. He said Jackie would never win big there like that. He was right.

Coaches not named Saban or Meyer often fall off when they leave for "greener pastures." Fisher could have stayed at FSU a long time.. The ACC is a tough league but Clemson is the only school in that league who can recruit on even terms with FSU. Not the case in the SEC West.

It appears from this article that "the clock was ticking" on Fisher at FSU. Given this information I'm not sure that he could have stayed a lot longer. The A&M opportunity presented itself, the timing was right and the Aggies were willing to back up the Brinks Truck. Frankly I think that Fisher went from the frying pan to the fire in terms of Conference (and Division) competitiveness. He left one place where the heat was being turned up to one where the heat is always turned up to the max.

Fisher's tenure was not without controversy. There were numerous incidents involving Seminoles players under his watch, including sexual assault allegations against Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jameis Winston. Fisher stood by Winston at every turn, both during the sexual assault allegations and when he was suspended for shouting a vulgarity in the school cafeteria, which exacerbated tensions between the coach and administration.

In his wake, Fisher left a parade of hurt feelings, bad blood and frustrated administrators, boosters and staff, who felt they could never do quite enough to keep their head coach happy. In the end, a losing season and another round of demands proved too much, and Fisher's final game of chicken in Tallahassee ended with such devastating damage, that there was no sense in attempting repair.

In eight years as head coach, Fisher had a working relationship with athletic director Stan Wilcox, but Fisher's relationship with Seminole Boosters president Andy Miller was strained by Fisher's constant demands. The problem, however, was more that Fisher had done little to gain allies over the years, and when the power dynamic shifted this season, few people were willing to stick up for the coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21631798/jimbo-fisher-always-wanted-more-florida-state-was-tired-giving
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Kevin Sumlin is the best coach in Aggie history based on winning %. Jimbo is a good coach but he won't be turning Aggie land into Bama anytime soon

rljjr

They did have a great recruiting season and their 19 class will probably be salty too. That doesn't mean they'll win on the field. We'll see what happens.

The Fisher trend -- and he is a good coach as much as i can't stand him -- has been to lose early (first or second game of the season) to elite teams (OU, Bama, etc) and then win while losing one or two games to unranked teams he shouldn't have lost to (UNC and NC State were his kryptonite). Once Clemson got good they were a tough out.

How does the talent at FSU in his years correlate to the talent he has at A&M and does the SEC West have a significant edge in talent vs what he faced in the ACC? That will determine his success level.

I think he's a big name in Texas and a shiny new toy. If he gets beaten regularly his first two-three years the shine will fade and so will his recruiting prowess.

Dr. Starcs

That can't be. This is Jimbos first recruiting class.

Ā 

holeinthewall

QuoteThe ACC is a tough league but Clemson is the only school in that league who can recruit on even terms with FSU. Not the case in the SEC West.

I think you forgot about a team that will out recruit FSU every year now.  Miami

bphi11ips

Quote from: King Kong on February 08, 2018, 06:47:54 am
Kevin Sumlin is the best coach in Aggie history based on winning %.

That didn't sound right to me, so I checked out of curiosity.  Sumlin won 66% of his games at A&M.  R.C. Slocum won 72%.  Dana X. Bible won 79%.  Those are the only three I checked.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lumphog

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 08, 2018, 01:22:27 am
They do it every year and then "underperform" on the field.
THIS. . . And nothing is going to change IF JBF had the disaster year at FSU he'll have them at A&M. His life just got A LOT harder

DeltaBoy

Jimbo a well known Coach with a solid resume so I expect TAMU to get a major bump and they did.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LJHOG

Hopeful Hog

Kevin Sumlin is the best coach in Aggie history based on winning %. Jimbo is a good coach but he won't be turning Aggie land into Bama anytime soon

I wish you were right but....no. Jimbo is one of the best coaches in the country, like right below Saban and Meyer.

King Kong

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 08, 2018, 08:07:16 am
That didn't sound right to me, so I checked out of curiosity.  Sumlin won 66% of his games at A&M.  R.C. Slocum won 72%.  Dana X. Bible won 79%.  Those are the only three I checked.

I apologize my numbers I pulled that from was the middle of the 2016 season when Sumlins winning % was 73% after they started 6-0.

The last year and half diminished his winning % to 66. You are correct.

I also was not considering anything Pre WWII

ChicoHog

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 08, 2018, 07:56:43 am
I think you forgot about a team that will out recruit FSU every year now.  Miami
That would be a big "No" with Wille Taggert at FSU.  Great recruiter.  Not sure if he is a good coach but he is a great recruiter. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 09:39:30 am
I wish you were right but....no. Jimbo is one of the best coaches in the country, like right below Saban and Meyer.
I'll disagree with that.  If he does it at A&M and makes them into a power then I will change my mind.  He won with a dynamic QB, Jameis Winston, and otherwise they were good, but not great even with outstanding recruiting classes.  I think he actually underachieved at FSU. 

King Kong

February 08, 2018, 09:56:39 am #22 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:28:41 am by King Kong
Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 09:39:30 am

I have him top 10. I don't have him top 5. FSU is an absolute talent monster in a good but not great conference and still lost and average of 3.28 games a year and lost 3 conference game in 4 of the 7 seasons.

FSU is the premiere program in the ACC. A&M isn't close to that in the SEC

Hoggish1

He always hits the ground running.  It's the mental games he plays with his players after they get there that will cause that program problems.  And I love it! (with apolgies to FCJ)

Ā 

The Hogfather

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 08, 2018, 09:50:56 am
I'll disagree with that.  If he does it at A&M and makes them into a power then I will change my mind.  He won with a dynamic QB, Jameis Winston, and otherwise they were good, but not great even with outstanding recruiting classes.  I think he actually underachieved at FSU.

No doubt about it.  With the talent he had and the conference he was in, he underachieved.  The ACC has only gotten a little better in the last few years.  Prior to that, it was basically a cakewalk for FSU.

Hoggish1

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 08, 2018, 01:17:27 am

Fisher will not recruit at TAMU like he was able to at FSU. Had it not been for the great luck he had in getting JW he would not have won that NC at FSU.  He still almost lost it to Auburn.  Then the next year he failed miserably again Oregon.  That was as great a collapse for a defending NC as I've ever seen.  His teams steadily declined at FSU and his welcome there was completely exhausted.  I'm glad he's gone and FSU is ecstatic he took off!  They are now poised to get back to championship level play there with the hire of Taggert.

Fisher has a knack of not getting the most from his talent and he had phenomenal talent at FSU.  He will frustrate the talent he does get at TAMU and over time he will erode their confidence.  He is definitely NOT a builder.

Hoggish1

I don't quite agree with this.  Fisher can coach and I think we all saw Sumlin's top (8-5).  The Manzel years were an anomaly for Sumlin IMO

Fisher's problems will take a few year to start being obvious to TAMU, which will occur with loss of player confidence.

Also, Fisher play a different style than Sumlin.  He will not be employing the fast play their personnel is geared for.  Will Fisher change his style to fit the current personnel or will he try to make them look more like FSU from the start.

I think he'll have some growing pains there.

Hoggish1

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 08, 2018, 07:56:43 am

Not likely.  Had Jimbo stayed at FSU you might have been right.  Taggert will bring FSU back to the top five every year.  Miami has Richt.  They have already reached their high water mark.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 08, 2018, 09:49:03 am
That would be a big "No" with Wille Taggert at FSU.  Great recruiter.  Not sure if he is a good coach but he is a great recruiter. 

You are absolutely correct about Taggert.  Fortunately for FSU he can also coach.  He just pulled in a top 10 class in the short while he was there since taking the job and the players fit what he does, to boot. 

Taggert is Bobby Bowden 2.0 with an attitude!

Hoggish1

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 08, 2018, 09:50:56 am
I'll disagree with that.  If he does it at A&M and makes them into a power then I will change my mind.  He won with a dynamic QB, Jamis is Winston, and otherwise they were good, but not great even with outstanding recruiting classes.  I think he actually underachieved at FSU. 

Couldn't agree more with this assessment!

ThisTeetsTaken

aTm has big screen TVs surrounding a big hot tub for their players.  I might go there too haha.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hoggish1

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 08, 2018, 11:09:09 am
aTm has big screen TVs surrounding a big hot tub for their players.  I might go there too haha.   

Decadence will not help you rehabilitate your body.  Ha Ha

jgphillips3

Crab leg joints in Aggieland better hire extra security.

DeltaBoy

History has showed us that Aggies are going to Aggie .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

volkh

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2018, 11:31:23 pm
Just as long as one of those wins isn't against us for the 7th year in a row.

Don't get me wrong, Georgia with their 7 (!!!!) 5-star commits is head-and-shoulders above everyone else this time around. I fully expect them to be the Alabama of the East for years to come.

You mean like they basically have been since Florida fell off? How many 10 win season / SEC Championship games did Mark have there again?
"Son, it's not how you play the game, but how drunk you get."

-Homer J. Simpson

sickboy

I'm withholding my confidence in Fisher until I see him deal with not having a top 3 recruiting class every year like he did at FSU. Not to mention, some of those players who came through FSU were all time great players for that program. He may be a good recruiter, but I don't see him pulling top five classes for the Aggies.

Also, my buddy at FSU talked all the time about how Fisher's reputation on campus was not sterling. I don't think Fisher is a leader and if you want to win at a place like A&M, you have to be a strong leader.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 08, 2018, 10:40:22 am
You are absolutely correct about Taggert.  Fortunately for FSU he can also coach.  He just pulled in a top 10 class in the short while he was there since taking the job and the players fit what he does, to boot. 

Taggert is Bobby Bowden 2.0 with an attitude!
He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove his long term coaching ability.  You may be right.  Dude can recruit for sure.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 08, 2018, 12:12:56 pm
He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove his long term coaching ability.  You may be right.  Dude can recruit for sure.

He has moved about for sure, but always up, up, up.  Now he's at his dream job and will retire there.  Jimbo was a good recruiter but it is said that FSU recruits itself, so I'll wait to see if he can do it in Aggie.

With the talent Taggert will get all he has to do is not be a horses asss like Jimbo to be a great coach there.  Another huge plus is he's put together a brilliant staff, unlike Jimbo who stayed with a D coordinator, after he lost Pruitt, who wasn't getting the job done.

Pruitt was the reason for the NC, not so much Jimbo.