Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The practices for Spain

Started by JIHawg, July 25, 2016, 03:44:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Wonder if we might get some practice reports?  Will any of them be open to the public?

Mike Irwin

All of them open to the media this week. Video will be posted soon.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 25, 2016, 03:49:48 pm
All of them open to the media this week. Video will be posted soon.

Awesome! Thanks Mike.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Razorod

Really looking forward to this season.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on July 25, 2016, 04:39:53 pm
Really looking forward to this season.
^^This. There are some intriguing pieces on this team, I am looking forward to seeing what roles guys carve out for themselves.

gogamer

RealHog

Quote from: gogamer on July 25, 2016, 11:18:00 pm
I'm looking forward to seeing better camera work at practice.  Out of focus pointed towards I'm not sure what . . .    :puke:

Hahaha yeah I appreciate Dudley getting us some footage, but I hope someone gives him a quick tutorial on basic camera phone technique. But hey he got us something. That last one was more like peering into practice from a foggy window.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on July 25, 2016, 09:41:59 pm
^^This. There are some intriguing pieces on this team, I am looking forward to seeing what roles guys carve out for themselves.
Should be interesting.

Razorod

We really need a player to step up at the "4" spot. Personally, I'm hoping it's Thomas. That would allow Kingsley and Thompson to go full throttle at the "5," with one being in the game at all times. Cook should be the back up at the four spot and, hopefully, can play some 5 if either Kingsley or Thompson gets in early foul trouble or dinged a little.

Of the newcomers, I'm most intrigued by Hazen. Not expecting him to be all-SEC as a freshman, but I think he'll be the biggest contributor of the incoming freshmen this year. Over four years, he could have a very nice career. Good size, better than thought athleticism, and nice skills. Good combination for a stretch four type player and it gives Anderson something to work with.

Should be a 20+ win team this year. Hoping by the end of the SEC tourney it's closer to 25 than 20 and we're safely in the dance.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: gogamer on July 25, 2016, 11:18:00 pm
I'm looking forward to seeing better camera work at practice.  Out of focus pointed towards I'm not sure what . . .    :puke:

#FirstWorldProbs lol we aren't that far removed from VCR days. Thankful we have anything.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Razorod on July 26, 2016, 06:55:38 am
We really need a player to step up at the "4" spot. Personally, I'm hoping it's Thomas. That would allow Kingsley and Thompson to go full throttle at the "5," with one being in the game at all times. Cook should be the back up at the four spot and, hopefully, can play some 5 if either Kingsley or Thompson gets in early foul trouble or dinged a little.

Of the newcomers, I'm most intrigued by Hazen. Not expecting him to be all-SEC as a freshman, but I think he'll be the biggest contributor of the incoming freshmen this year. Over four years, he could have a very nice career. Good size, better than thought athleticism, and nice skills. Good combination for a stretch four type player and it gives Anderson something to work with.

Should be a 20+ win team this year. Hoping by the end of the SEC tourney it's closer to 25 than 20 and we're safely in the dance.

Cook looks bigger than I expected, if I was able to recognize him correctly on the videos. He will hopefully be able to give some good help on the boards.

JIHawg

RealHog

Quote from: JIHawg on July 26, 2016, 06:58:26 pm
Tuesday practice report (it says Monday, but it's Tuesday)

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/26/razorback-tuesday-practice-observations/

These practice reports from Jimmy Carter are Fantastic. Great work from WholeHogSports.

Danny J

How did practice look today? Head Mike Irwin say he was going this afternoon just curious what his or other opinions are after a couple days of working together

HoopS

Sounds like Thomas may be stepping up. He's the one I expected and hoped would. He's tough. Has big conference experience. I also remember talking with some last year about him during preseason practice and the letdown when we remembered he wouldn't be eligible last season. He's a good player.

daprospecta

We got hoopers at every position! ............................HOOPERS!!!!!  So excited for our basketball program especially since in state kids are staying home.  When I played high school ball(1999-2003) everybody wanted to be a hog.  Looks like it's starting to repeat itself.

rzrbackramsfan

From the video I saw, I'm really impressed by hazen.  I think he might be the best at the four.

rzrbackramsfan

Also, in the 5 on 5 video I saw, Macon looks amazing at point guard.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 28, 2016, 01:07:21 pm
Also, in the 5 on 5 video I saw, Macon looks amazing at point guard.

Agreed! I also like how strong Barford drives to the hoop. Can't wait to see him power past a certain ex Bentonville hoopster and slam one home and get the and 1!
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 28, 2016, 01:14:03 pm
Agreed! I also like how strong Barford drives to the hoop. Can't wait to see him power past a certain ex Bentonville hoopster and slam one home and get the and 1!

Dude, based on the video I've seen, by January we are going to be one hell of a team.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 28, 2016, 03:09:56 pm
Dude, based on the video I've seen, by January we are going to be one hell of a team.

Yep, that's what I am thinking as well. Take a few lumps in the non conf while the new guys get acclimated then start putting it all together as we get closer to the SEC grind.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Big Nasty 34

Trey Thompson looked outstanding in 5 on 5

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 28, 2016, 03:24:11 pm
Yep, that's what I am thinking as well. Take a few lumps in the non conf while the new guys get acclimated then start putting it all together as we get closer to the SEC grind.

But i also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take our lumps early either.  We haven't had guard play like this since I've followed the Razorbacks starting in '09.  And the big lineup of Kingsley, hazen, cook, Thompson and Bailey will be very very formidable.

I'm calling that we sweep Kentucky and finish first in the sec right now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 28, 2016, 03:49:56 pm
But i also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take our lumps early either.  We haven't had guard play like this since I've followed the Razorbacks starting in '09.  And the big lineup of Kingsley, hazen, cook, Thompson and Bailey will be very very formidable.

I'm calling that we sweep Kentucky and finish first in the sec right now.

Bro, I really think you need to pass the dutchie on the left hand side. Really, right now.  ;) ;D :razorback:
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

hey maybe I'm wrong but this is looking to be mikes best team yet

Kamkaizen

Man, it must just be me, when I watch these videos of practice, I don't see a whole lot which is encouraging to me.  There are lots of technique issues that are very apparent.  Maybe it's just early and things will improve.  I sure hope so...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kamkaizen on July 28, 2016, 04:56:52 pm
Man, it must just be me, when I watch these videos of practice, I don't see a whole lot which is encouraging to me.  There are lots of technique issues that are very apparent.  Maybe it's just early and things will improve.  I sure hope so...

Hard to take away anything substantive from these practices. We are longer, more athletic, and deeper. That's about it.

rude1

Quote from: Kamkaizen on July 28, 2016, 04:56:52 pm
Yes it's you. Most people probably understand you are only seeing very small pieces of what they staff wants to show the media. We shouldn't be getting too high nor too low from what we have been shown thus far IMHO. We haven't seen nor have the media seen enough at this point to draw any kind of conclusions of "technique issues".

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rude1 on July 28, 2016, 09:16:55 pm
Yes it's you. Most people probably understand you are only seeing very small pieces of what they staff wants to show the media. We shouldn't be getting too high nor too low from what we have been shown thus far IMHO. We haven't seen nor have the media seen enough at this point to draw any kind of conclusions of "technique issues".

I think the biggest thing he's talking about is quite a few missed shots in scrimmage situations. It seems like everyone has just started shooting again for the first time all summer, a little rough.

The physicality is nice to see. We have a lot of flexibility it seems.

rude1

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 28, 2016, 09:29:18 pm
I think the biggest thing he's talking about is quite a few missed shots in scrimmage situations. It seems like everyone has just started shooting again for the first time all summer, a little rough.

But we are only seeing a small window of what's going on with the team. Isn't it like one hour per day they are allowing for the media?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rude1 on July 28, 2016, 10:21:06 pm
But we are only seeing a small window of what's going on with the team. Isn't it like one hour per day they are allowing for the media?

Yes it is, but we've seen a lot of missed shots in those videos.

We're gonna be fine that's for sure, because even Dusty looks rough. People with high expectations would love to see us firing on all cylinders in July, but that's just now gonna happen.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 28, 2016, 09:29:18 pm

They are allowing the defense to play very physical in these workouts. Pretty sure that didn't happen in summer pick up games. Anyone drawing conclusions at this point either way is off their rocker.

PonderinHog

And Moses isn't there yet, right?

ShadowHawg

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 29, 2016, 10:36:38 am
You are correct sir.
Then that's like saying the '94 team would've been better without Corliss...   ;D

OnTheHillHogFan

They are missing so many shots because they are tired. By this time next week they will be shooting a lot better because they Weill be closer to game shape.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"