Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moses is back and that is great news!

Started by Deep Shoat, May 09, 2016, 06:43:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Sure, we wish we had one more big, but by EVERYONE'S reckoning we should be salty in '16/'17 with the JuCo's added to what we have coming back. 

So no more excuses.  Get it done.  If we can't manage a 2nd weekend showing in the NCAAT with this bunch, we'll never see it with this coach.

All of the CMA before the program folks have been beating the drum of how great this class is, and if Moses will just be smart and stay how good we will be.  So, see y'all in the round of 32...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 09, 2016, 06:43:02 pm
Sure, we wish we had one more big, but by EVERYONE'S reckoning we should be salty in '16/'17 with the JuCo's added to what we have coming back. 

So no more excuses.  Get it done.  If we can't manage a 2nd weekend showing in the NCAAT with this bunch, we'll never see it with this coach.

All of the CMA before the program folks have been beating the drum of how great this class is, and if Moses will just be smart and stay how good we will be.  So, see y'all in the round of 32...
B/c we've never made the round of 32 under CMA? You truly act like that's never happened.
You sound upset that Kingsley is returning. I know, I know, you can't possibly admit that on here, but from the sounds of it, you're very upset.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 09, 2016, 06:55:38 pm
B/c we've never made the round of 32 under CMA? You truly act like that's never happened.
You sound upset that Kingsley is returning. I know, I know, you can't possibly admit that on here, but from the sounds of it, you're very upset.
Brother, I'm thrilled.  It means one of two things.  Either CMA gets off the schnide or we get a new coach.  Either of those things is brilliant.  Get us deep in the tournament and show REAL progress.  Then I'm a happy Hog fan.  Or we start fresh and I am an encouraged Hog fan.

This next season is no lose, for me.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Dr. Starcs

This roster is not an expected sweet 16 IMO.

Look at it this way, where will be ranked preseason?

Lets not make it seem like CMA should be expected to get there with this roster.

Now, ncaat, definitely should be expected.

Really excited Moses is coming back.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 09, 2016, 06:59:12 pm
Brother, I'm thrilled.  It means one of two things.  Either CMA gets off the schnide or we get a new coach.  Either of those things is brilliant.  Get us deep in the tournament and show REAL progress.  Then I'm a happy Hog fan.  Or we start fresh and I am an encouraged Hog fan.

This next season is no lose, for me.
So you're thrilled about our best player returning b/c it works as a measuring stick for MA, and not b/c it should make our team better? We've gotten to a scary place where guys like you have a first thought "how will this make others view MA?" rather than how it helps the team.

King Kong

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 09, 2016, 07:13:01 pm

Lets not make it seem like CMA should be expected to get there with this roster.

Yep

HoopS

College basketball is so fluid though. Hard to say right now if this is a sweet 16 team because

1. We haven't seen how this group gels
2. We haven't seen the schedule and
3. We haven't seen what kind of draw we will get in the NCAAT. And I did say "will get"

I agree in general though. We gotta get results with this team.

Word of caution

Give it some time early in the season. All teams have to adjust and we have a lot of new, good, but new pieces. It'll take time to learn each other and learn to play off of that. But it'll happen.

This bunch will get to make the pre-preseason trip overseas and I'm hopeful that pays serious dividends.

Van Boarisson

Dean?

ShadowHawg

So Moses is coming back?

Is this good or bad? I can't tell by your post.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 09, 2016, 07:14:55 pm
So you're thrilled about our best player returning b/c it works as a measuring stick for MA, and not b/c it should make our team better? We've gotten to a scary place where guys like you have a first thought "how will this make others view MA?" rather than how it helps the team.

By saying Mike gets off the schneid, that would indicate the Hogs have a very good season, so he was saying it would either make the team better or they would underachieve and Mike would be gone.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on May 09, 2016, 07:55:53 pm

3. We haven't seen what kind of draw we will get in the NCAAT. And I did say "will get"

With Mike, that is key. If we faces a team like UNC like he did two years ago, he will lose. He isn't going to adapt to game plan against their weaknesses, and UNC can do what Mike wants to do better than we can.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2016, 08:53:07 am
With Mike, that is key. If we faces a team like UNC like he did two years ago, he will lose. He isn't going to adapt to game plan against their weaknesses, and UNC can do what Mike wants to do better than we can.
I get what you are saying, but I don't think it's a "will lose" type of thing. In that game against UNC Portis went 5-15 with 4 turnovers and Harris and Beard combined to go 0-6 with 7 turnovers. We had decent looks that game and missed some shots. Sure slowing it down could have limited possessions and maybe taken UNC out of rythm. That said playing our game didn't take us out of it, missing shots did.

Jim Harris

Quote from: azhog10 on May 10, 2016, 09:12:43 am
I get what you are saying, but I don't think it's a "will lose" type of thing. In that game against UNC Portis went 5-15 with 4 turnovers and Harris and Beard combined to go 0-6 with 7 turnovers. We had decent looks that game and missed some shots. Sure slowing it down could have limited possessions and maybe taken UNC out of rythm. That said playing our game didn't take us out of it, missing shots did.

25 turnovers for a team that wants to force turnovers did as well. And UNC in 2015 was the turnover-proned team.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Interesting take this morning by Nick Mason that Moses production could be down significantly this year because two of the new guards are going to shoot a lot more than Bell and Durham did. That had not crossed my mind before.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2016, 10:06:20 am
Interesting take this morning by Nick Mason that Moses production could be down significantly this year because two of the new guards are going to shoot a lot more than Bell and Durham did. That had not crossed my mind before.
Not sure you can shoot more than Bell did. He led the team in FGA's with over 400. Durham shot 168 and Whitt shot 194. So essentially we are losing over 750 shots. It's possible that Macon and Barford come in and shoot more than that, but even if they do I expect Moses to be a lot more efficient and hopefully getting his FT% up closer to 70%. That alone would give him a couple more points a game. I think in total we are replacing close to 800 shots over the season and I would think Hannah's shot attempts may be more impacted than Moses'.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2016, 08:53:07 am
That UNC team was loaded and I don't care what kind of adapting CMA did we were in trouble from the moment that matchup was made. We stayed in the game but they were going to have to have a very bad outing for us to have won that game, they were literally better and deeper than us at about every position. That's why you can't say it's sweet 16 or bust, because one bad matchup and you are history in the big dance.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 09, 2016, 07:14:55 pm
I'm thrilled because we will either see a good team or a new coach.  As I said, if CMA can't get it done with this roster, then we need to get off the pot.  If he get's it done, beautiful. 

Either is a win for Razorback fans.

See, that is where guys like you mess up.  Because you are a Mike fan first, you assume everyone who isn't must be Anti-Mike.  And I recognize those people exist.  But MOST of us are simply Razorback fans who want to win. 

Therefore, Moses coming back should equal good news no matter the outcome of the upcoming season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 09, 2016, 08:16:28 pm
So Moses is coming back?

Is this good or bad? I can't tell by your post.
Product of LR School District?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 09, 2016, 07:13:01 pm

Let the lowering of expectations begin!

No, really.  I meant it when I said "no excuses".
All Gas, No Brakes!

Dr. Starcs

What part do you disagree with?

For you to say "2nd weekend team", that means we will be ranked in the top 16 when the preseason polls come out. That ain't happening.

I already said we should expect to be in the big dance this year. But to say sweet 16 is not realistic at this point.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 10, 2016, 04:59:00 pm
What part do you disagree with?

For you to say "2nd weekend team", that means we will be ranked in the top 16 when the preseason polls come out. That ain't happening.

I already said we should expect to be in the big dance this year. But to say sweet 16 is not realistic at this point.
No.  It means we'll be ranked in the top 16 on the 2nd weekend of the NCAAT.

Critical thinking goes a long way.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ShadowHawg

ShadowHawg

I like how the good news of Moses coming back is used as an opportunity to bash MA. Then the OP acts all angry about anyone calling him on it.

I love that Moses is coming back. It's the best thing left out there that could have happened for our program and I think it is the best thin for Moses as well.

Should be nothing but rainbows and unicorns but the OP has reduced it to the fans having lowered expectations.

But there are no agenda driven haters on this board. :puke:

Dr. Starcs

Deep Shoat is in deep all right.

All I did was take your own words.

nwahogfan1

May 11, 2016, 06:29:20 am #25 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:58:46 am by nwahogfan1

[/quote]

Why is the Sweet 16 not realistic?  We have like 10 upper class men on this team.  If this is not a Sweet 16 team with all of these Junior/Seniors then what is Mike building?

I say we SHOULD make a run at the SECC and a Sweet 16 this year.  Anything else to me is under achieving. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2016, 10:06:20 am

this is where Coaching comes in.  If you have a Player like Moses on your team who can score from 17 foot in then he has to have touches.  Your guards have to give him the ball where he can score.  This is called Coaching.   If I am not mistaken Nick coaches AAU teams and they are really big on getting their points from athletic outside players.  This is the AAU/ Summer team mind set and the reason you do not see many Big men getting double digit PPG in the summer unless they get their points on offensive rebounds.     

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 11, 2016, 12:56:00 am
I'm not sure why this is great news. I cannot ever remember our post play being weaker.

Then you aren't thinking hard enough

The_Iceman

I'm not sure why this is great news. I cannot ever remember our post play being weaker.

Huh?

jry04

Don't you just hate it when an All-SEC player returns. Horrible news hearing about your 2nd leading scorer, who had 16 double doubles in a season, returning for his senior season. Mike would have been better off finding an unproven grad transfer.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 11, 2016, 06:39:38 am
this is where Coaching comes in.  If you have a Player like Moses on your team who can score from 17 foot in then he has to have touches.  Your guards have to give him the ball where he can score.  This is called Coaching.   If I am not mistaken Nick coaches AAU teams and they are really big on getting their points from athletic outside players.  This is the AAU/ Summer team mind set and the reason you do not see many Big men getting double digit PPG in the summer unless they get their points on offensive rebounds.     

He was forgotten at times during games last season.  Perhaps the new guards won't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Big Nasty 34

And that's the scary part. Portis would be working his tail off in the post and our guards wouldn't give him a touch. It should've been a priority to get him the ball. Same with Moses last year. I would say with added guard depth there may be more of the same.

RealHog

Credit Big Nasty for digging up a good, nearly month old thread. Yeah this team needs to make some noise, Anderson has done some good work but the SEC got serious about Bball with the hirings of Howland, Johnson, Kennedy, and White. AR should be a perennial Top 3 contender in the SEC, and if we wait around too much longer we're just another school in a basketball poor conference. Anderson had a major whiff with that 2015 class, and I hope he can overcome it. Recruiting might be his Achilles heel.

King Kong

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 03, 2016, 10:51:01 pm
And that's the scary part. Portis would be working his tail off in the post and our guards wouldn't give him a touch. It should've been a priority to get him the ball. Same with Moses last year. I would say with added guard depth there may be more of the same.

Yet we still have has the highest scoring post players in the SEC the last 2 seasons

poloprince

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 11, 2016, 10:42:34 am
He was forgotten at times during games last season.  Perhaps the new guards won't.

Coach says if you want the ball more then go get it off the rim.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

Moses started missing freethrows about the last 10-15 games due to him logging too many minutes. He's going to have a better season next year and should be in contention for SEC player of the year, but his scoring may go down a point or two.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: King Kong on June 04, 2016, 08:57:13 am
Yet we still have has the highest scoring post players in the SEC the last 2 seasons

And I still think Bobby should've gotten more touches at times. Maybe more his freshman year, but it was just frustrating to watch when guards would continually ignore him with good post position.

gmarv

nwahogfan1

Totally agree. With the talent on this team and if we are completely healthy I think this  team should be in the hunt for the SECC and in the sweet sixteen.  Our record should have 25+ wins if we complete both.  I won't think we reached our full potential unless we do both.

RealHog

Quote from: gmarv on June 04, 2016, 10:37:58 am
seems like a good place to post this link.
http://onlyinark.com/sports/moses-kingsley/

Good article. I'd love for Kingsley and Hannahs to both be All-SEC. I think they should eliminate preseason all-conference picks for players who haven't stepped on a college court yet. Skal being picked all SEC last year was a joke. Save the spots for players who have shown they have what it takes.

nwahogfan1

Good article but with under class men able to dip their toes into the NBA combine as many times as they want and come back if they don't hire an agent it sure puts a lot of pressure on Coaches to recruit their back ups sooner.  In other words Coaches has to have good back ups in case a under class man goes early. 

I know that is not always easy but they have to get it done to keep the fans off their backs.

sickboy

You're trying a little too hard to be contrarian with this one. Unless someone is coming off serious criminal chargers, there's no scenario where having a player like Moses Kingsley back is not a positive for your team. He's simply too productive. But you know this. 

gmarv

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 04, 2016, 12:47:39 pm
Good article but with under class men able to dip their toes into the NBA combine as many times as they want and come back if they don't hire an agent it sure puts a lot of pressure on Coaches to recruit their back ups sooner.  In other words Coaches has to have good back ups in case a under class man goes early. 

I know that is not always easy but they have to get it done to keep the fans off their backs.
good point but if it keeps kids like moses from making a mistake and going early and not getting drafted it could be worth it.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: gmarv on June 04, 2016, 10:37:58 am
seems like a good place to post this link.
http://onlyinark.com/sports/moses-kingsley/

I didn't realize how much NBA scouts thought of Barford and Macon. If CMA can build some chemistry and rhythm between them, Hannahs and Moses it would make our inside-out game really effective.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HoopS

haha.

This is absolutely good news. But probably not good news for some fans.

Biggus Piggus

All signees are eligible. All but Hazen are on campus now. Hazen will be there by mid-June.

Mike Anderson is brimming with confidence about this team. He could barely restrain himself during interviews last week.
[CENSORED]!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 05, 2016, 01:30:37 pm
All signees are eligible. All but Hazen are on campus now. Hazen will be there by mid-June.

Mike Anderson is brimming with confidence about this team. He could barely restrain himself during interviews last week.

Big year for him. Hope it's a great success.

daprospecta

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 05, 2016, 01:30:37 pm

He went and got himself some mens' haha!

HoopS

I'm legitimately excited to see this team.