Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA might finally address rules regarding transfers, scholarship releases

Started by jbcarol, June 29, 2017, 10:49:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/880214979970027520

QuoteCoaches placing extreme restrictions to keep their athletes from transferring to schools of their choosing could be coming to an end.

Division I Council Transfer Working Group is considering changes to the rules regarding transfers. The proposed changes are merely in the idea stage...

"I am thrilled with the great progress made this week, and I'm confident we can move forward with some initial concepts for consideration in this year's legislative cycle," said Justin Sell, working group chair and athletics director at South Dakota State Jackrabbits. "We are working toward academics-based, data-driven decisions that benefit student-athletes, teams and schools."

Under current rules, athletes must receive permission from their current school before beginning to contact other schools when they decide to transfer. If they transfer to another school without being released from their scholarships, they cannot receive scholarship aid from their new school.

It is commonplace for coaches to place restrictions upon where their athletes may transfer, generally not allowing players to transfer within their conference or to a school on that team's current or future non-conference schedule. Auburn's Gus Malzahn reportedly would not allow defensive lineman Antwuan Jackson to transfer within the SEC, to Clemson or to any other school on the Tigers' 2017 schedule -- but also apparently banned him from transferring to Ohio State...

Jackson eventually transferred to Blinn College [Cam Newton]
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 53s53 seconds ago

.@KevinScarbinsky writes: Thank goodness the NCAA's moving toward removing transfer handcuffs http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/thank_goodness_the_ncaas_movin.html

QuoteScarblog: If it happens, the next Antwuan Jackson Jr. won't have to transfer from Auburn to a junior college because Gus Malzahn won't be able to prevent him from going on scholarship at any four-year school of his choice.

If it happens, the next Maurice Smith won't have to wage a PR campaign to get Nick Saban to back down and allow him to transfer to Georgia.

If it happens, it'll be one small step for student-athlete welfare, one giant leap for sanity and fairness in major college football and basketball.

Make it happen, NCAA. Make it happen.

The NCAA Division I Council Transfer Working Group is working toward that end. It's asked the membership for feedback on a number of major potential changes to the transfer rules. The most common-sense of those changes would end the punitive practice of coaches and schools blocking players from transferring to certain opponents, such as those in the same conference or on an upcoming schedule.

Seven-figure coaches have enough perks. They should no longer be given handcuffs to shackle their players as they please...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net