Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TOUR Champ Trip follow up - mx trouble in LIT

Started by gotyacovered, September 27, 2013, 02:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

started a new thread b/c i am only going to write about the disaster of a "quick" stop at LIT.

out of Peachtree (KPDK) Monday we had a really hard time getting a plug to clear. like almost lost our clearance, hard.

fly direct to LR, land at 1:30 to drop dad off, grab a quick bite to eat. get back to airport, go to check the oil and pull the entire dip stick housing off the engine. call dad, get him headed back. he makes a call to the central service people, takes about 30-40 min, but they get it fixed.

taxi over to the non-movement area for run-up. cant get the the plug to clear... call dad get him headed back. taxi straight to central service. 1.5 hours later and a precent bill i get a new spark plus on #3.

taxi over to non-movement area to run up, fouled plug, but it clears easily... check carb heat, cycle prop, check mags again (paranoia) get my clearance and ground sends me to 36, tower clears me rwy head at or below 2k. firewall everything(?), only producing 2200rpms. abort take off with tower, get back to non-movement area and check mags again, they were perfect. get back on with ground and get clear to 36, tower clears me to depart... same thing, abort take off. call dad get him headed back this way... taxi up with everything running and as he is getting i notice that my prop control is not full in/max rpm  ::)

thought it was a great lesson in distractions and i wanted to share. i was so consumed with the mags i failed to completely follow my checklist items and even overlooked the prop setting when i firewalled everything.

got home at 6:30 instead of 2:30 like we planned.

You are what you tolerate.

Pistol Pete

Guilty here too. Forget what the situation was, but I've been distracted and failed to follow my checklist. Just remember feeling dumb.

bvillepig

Really easy to do.

I was coming back from KFYV and into Kennett making my calls that I am left base landing 20.  Another plane announces 10 Miles NORTH and on long final. 

Of course I am southwest left base for 02 and don't catch it till I turn final. I embarrassingly tell other aircraft I will enter a long downwind for 20 and follow him in.

I have not done that in a long long time. Not sure how I got turned around because I normally cross check the HSI but did not this time.

gotyacovered

it is almost impossible to process information when you have a question/issue you are trying to resolve, my brain needs a better processor ;D

the process can even cause the distraction.
You are what you tolerate.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 30, 2013, 10:51:12 am
it is almost impossible to process information when you have a question/issue you are trying to resolve, my brain needs a better processor ;D

the process can even cause the distraction.

You said it earlier... checklist. And most importantly, check everything.