Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ICT Sat??, SRR Mon

Started by GusMcRae, September 24, 2013, 11:39:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Flying to have AP worked on tomorrow.  Supposed to go back to ICT Saturday, but weather is not looking very favorable.  Return Sun PM, and then fly out to SRR Monday AM for an annual golf trip (weather looking good for that).  Looking forward to the little bit of mountain flying at SRR.  Will be about 12 hours or so total by the time I get back home provided we do get to fly to ICT.  Looking forward to the frequency as opposed to having 2-week or more breaks in between.   
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Nice... That will be fun! Fly safe and hit em straight.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Good news is, my AP is now fixed.
Bad news is, on the 45 minute trip down to the shop, my plane ran rough as heck.
I talked to an A&P, he didn't have time to work me in before the weekend, but he told me how to trouble shoot for a bad plug.  Engine cold of an AM, cowling off, crank up and switch key back to only running on 1 mag (if it's rough on one mag during run-up, use that one)only for about 2 min, kill it, then go lay your hand on each cyl checking for heat.  If one is noticably cooler than the rest just from putting your hand on it, there's your bad plug.  Did that, bingo.
#4 cyl, bottom plug, pulled it and switched it with a top plug from the opposite side (known good plug), allowed some time for the cyls to cool off, checked it in this manner again.  #4 was hot, cyl where we put the suspect plug was noticeably cooler than the rest. 
Replaced the bad plug, all roughness went away..... 
Success and a great lesson. 

Bad news, looks like weather on Sat will force us to drive to Wich, Kansas.
But good news is, weather looks good on Monday, here and SRR.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?