Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flying into ADS monday

Started by GusMcRae, August 23, 2013, 09:20:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

First time to land that deep into DFW airspace. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

its a breeze... just listen well.

i have been in there around 5 times... couple VFR, couple on instruments (with CFII). you will like it... we used million air, i was not footing the bill... they had Audi A7's as their crew cars... saweeet.

there is lots of Love (KDAL) traffic... think we counted at one point 7 heavies parallel for 13 L&R. the 15 departure is pretty cool as well... Love will be just to the west off your nose and great views of dtown Dallas.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Since I'm coming in from the W-NW, I'm not sure how they will bring me in,,, straight through or if they'll have me divert around the Class Bravo to the North.  I'll do whatever they tell me to and keep my head on a swivel. 

I'm using Millionair as well. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll have my wife bring her camera. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Gotya
When I was into Ads several times the crew cars were Jaguars. Limbo

I tossed the keys to a friend of mine one time who is a state trooper and said no way I'm driving this.  It had 6 miles on it .

RNC

Yeah but in penance for those Jags you have 8 dollar avgas, lol.

bvillepig

Quote from: RNC on August 24, 2013, 12:37:34 am
Yeah but in penance for those Jags you have 8 dollar avgas, lol.
So true.   I understood that very quickly.  Amazing that Mesquite 20 miles southeast has Avgas for 5.05 ss and 5.55 FS.
Lancaster is in the 4s .
However ADS is in a great location as is DAL depending on what you are doing.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on August 23, 2013, 10:36:16 pm
Gotya
When I was into Ads several times the crew cars were Jaguars. Limbo

I tossed the keys to a friend of mine one time who is a state trooper and said no way I'm driving this.  It had 6 miles on it .

Jags, wow.

Did you see where million air at drake is gone?

bvillepig

Yes my kids just moved down to Fayetteville from Rogers so I guess I will soon start flying into Drake. 

Hope to see ya some weekend

GusMcRae

Pirep on the KADS trip:
ATC may have recognized a rookie b/c they asked if I had experience flying into class Bravo airspace.  I replied with "that is a negative, have flown through the class bravo but never landed this deep into it".  They were very patient with me and explained why they were routing me the way they did.  Had to fly at 2500' under the incoming traffic into DFW about 10 miles or less N of the DFW runways, cautioned me of wake turbulence, flew right over Lake Lewisville and on over to ADS.  Followed a Citation in to land.  A C210 came in right behind me. There was construction at KADS on one of the taxiways, so on the ground, had to get off the runway, taxi on the taxiway back to the North, then had to wait for other traffic landing on 15, in order to get back on 15 to back taxi back to the N end of the runway to get to Million Air.  It was easy to get the read back right on that little procedure because I just copied exactly what the citation pilot said after tower told him what to do.  It was getting so redundant, the tower told the 210 behind me, "guess what I'm going to have you do?"
Million Air is very nice.  Mercedes 350 courtesy car.  I didn't buy their fuel so I was charged a $25 ramp fee, which I was glad to pay for the getting use of the car for a little over 2 hours. 
Departed to the South on 15 and they had me keep that heading for a bit, then slowly began vectoring me back towards the West and gradual climb up to 3500'.  Fairly wide vector out to the South and West before being allowed to get on course for F05.  Flew right over the top of Love Field, on out South of Arlington, Cowboy stadium off to the right, then eventually dowtown FtW on my left, had to stay at 3500' until I was almost out of the Bravo.  Clearance kind of overwhelmed me with instructions so I had to have them repeat before I could even utter a decent instruction read back.  Squawk code, a departure freqency, continue on runway heading, stay at or below 2000'.  I should have had a pen and paper ready for all that.  I got the squawk code in, understood the heading and altitude to fly, but the frequency went in one ear and right out the other.  I will have a pen and paper ready next time.
Worst part about it all was the heat and having to fly that low for so long arriving and departing.  It was hot yesterday, and this was all during the heat of the day.
Good experience for me. 
I have a few pics to post in a few days.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 27, 2013, 08:45:17 am
Pirep on the KADS trip:
ATC may have recognized a rookie b/c they asked if I had experience flying into class Bravo airspace.  I replied with "that is a negative, have flown through the class bravo but never landed this deep into it".  They were very patient with me and explained why they were routing me the way they did.  Had to fly at 2500' under the incoming traffic into DFW about 10 miles or less N of the DFW runways, cautioned me of wake turbulence, flew right over Lake Lewisville and on over to ADS.  Followed a Citation in to land.  A C210 came in right behind me. There was construction at KADS on one of the taxiways, so on the ground, had to get off the runway, taxi on the taxiway back to the North, then had to wait for other traffic landing on 15, in order to get back on 15 to back taxi back to the N end of the runway to get to Million Air.  It was easy to get the read back right on that little procedure because I just copied exactly what the citation pilot said after tower told him what to do.  It was getting so redundant, the tower told the 210 behind me, "guess what I'm going to have you do?"
Million Air is very nice.  Mercedes 350 courtesy car.  I didn't buy their fuel so I was charged a $25 ramp fee, which I was glad to pay for the getting use of the car for a little over 2 hours. 
Departed to the South on 15 and they had me keep that heading for a bit, then slowly began vectoring me back towards the West and gradual climb up to 3500'.  Fairly wide vector out to the South and West before being allowed to get on course for F05.  Flew right over the top of Love Field, on out South of Arlington, Cowboy stadium off to the right, then eventually dowtown FtW on my left, had to stay at 3500' until I was almost out of the Bravo.  Clearance kind of overwhelmed me with instructions so I had to have them repeat before I could even utter a decent instruction read back.  Squawk code, a departure freqency, continue on runway heading, stay at or below 2000'.  I should have had a pen and paper ready for all that.  I got the squawk code in, understood the heading and altitude to fly, but the frequency went in one ear and right out the other.  I will have a pen and paper ready next time.
Worst part about it all was the heat and having to fly that low for so long arriving and departing.  It was hot yesterday, and this was all during the heat of the day.
Good experience for me. 
I have a few pics to post in a few days.

good stuff... always pays to be a step ahead... next time you will be!

gus--remind me, do you have an ipad/smart phone running foreflight/wing x/garmin my pilot?

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 27, 2013, 09:54:30 am
good stuff... always pays to be a step ahead... next time you will be!

gus--remind me, do you have an ipad/smart phone running foreflight/wing x/garmin my pilot?

iPad with Foreflight. 
However, the departure frequency that clearance gave me to contact when tower was done with me, was not the same frequency that foreflight showed for KADS departure. I've had the tower tell me the departure frequency after they get you off the ground, but I've also had them just say "88 romeo contact departure", without the frequency.  And yesterday, that's what the tower did, just passed me off to "departure". 
And of course foreflight doesn't give you the squawk/heading/altitude that ATC wants/needs you to take.  I assume that towered airports in places with less traffic, the departure frequencies are constant, but for DFW airspace, they can fluctuate? I guess? Someone else weigh in here.....
I had what Foreflight said the departure frequency would be punched in the #2 radio and ATIS on the standby of #2 radio.  Was talking to clearance on #1 radio and had the tower frequency on standby ready to flip to it.  When the departure frequency was different from what I had punched in on #2, combined with punching in my squawk code and processing the altitude to stay below and the heading to remain on, my lack of experience in that environment was showing up.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 27, 2013, 10:17:39 am
iPad with Foreflight. 
However, the departure frequency that clearance gave me to contact when tower was done with me, was not the same frequency that foreflight showed for KADS departure. I've had the tower tell me the departure frequency after they get you off the ground ...snip

ya, i have relied on them to do that before... 99% of the time FF is accurate, but i have run into that before... on a Monday i bet they were using one dept frequency cause it was slow, or something... dont know why they do that... 

i was asking about ipad/FF b/c i have started using the scratch pad to jot the info down and like it, although it took a stylus and some getting used to...

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 27, 2013, 10:36:16 am

i was asking about ipad/FF b/c i have started using the scratch pad to jot the info down and like it, although it took a stylus and some getting used to...

That is good advice.  I do need to utilize that little feature for more than just tic-tac-toe..... 

I'd like to ask if anyone knows what the airport is that is just West of RBD (Dallas Executive), that the south end of the runway sticks out in a small body of water? 
We couldn't figure it out on the foreflight map, and I've looked on Skyvector and can't figure it out either. 
You can swing a dead cat in about in direction and hit another airport around there. 

RNC

August 27, 2013, 10:56:01 am #13 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:12:29 am by RNC
Quote from: GusMcRae on August 27, 2013, 10:17:39 am
iPad with Foreflight. 
However, the departure frequency that clearance gave me to contact when tower was done with me, was not the same frequency that foreflight showed for KADS departure. I've had the tower tell me the departure frequency after they get you off the ground, but I've also had them just say "88 romeo contact departure", without the frequency.  And yesterday, that's what the tower did, just passed me off to "departure". 
And of course foreflight doesn't give you the squawk/heading/altitude that ATC wants/needs you to take.  I assume that towered airports in places with less traffic, the departure frequencies are constant, but for DFW airspace, they can fluctuate? I guess? Someone else weigh in here.....
I had what Foreflight said the departure frequency would be punched in the #2 radio and ATIS on the standby of #2 radio.  Was talking to clearance on #1 radio and had the tower frequency on standby ready to flip to it.  When the departure frequency was different from what I had punched in on #2, combined with punching in my squawk code and processing the altitude to stay below and the heading to remain on, my lack of experience in that environment was showing up.

DFW has multiple approach/departure frequencies, you can be assigned different ones, but the originating tower should give you the one they want you on regardless.

It becomes routine after awhile, like anything else.

As long as you ask for clarification they don't get too testy, it'll be a lot worse to do something wrong.

A couple weeks back a student got his taxi instructions wrong and we wound up facing each other, albeit from about 2000 feet away.  I stopped and let the controller sort it out but the student got the longest 'siggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' I've ever heard over a radio, lol.

The controller was about to give him the phone number, but I spoke up and said "holding present position go ahead and sort him out" and the controller took a little mercy on him. 

Figured that used to be me screwing up at LIT so tried to help the poor guy out.

There is a very large flight school at ADS so they deal with a lot of students, they're pretty patient from my experience.

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 27, 2013, 10:55:07 am
That is good advice.  I do need to utilize that little feature for more than just tic-tac-toe..... 

I'd like to ask if anyone knows what the airport is that is just West of RBD (Dallas Executive), that the south end of the runway sticks out in a small body of water? 
We couldn't figure it out on the foreflight map, and I've looked on Skyvector and can't figure it out either. 
You can swing a dead cat in about in direction and hit another airport around there. 

It's abandoned/runway x'd I think.  It was on the charts a year ago but recently taken off.

Untowered fields under that bravo just aren't feasible to get in and out of, approach/departure is too busy to deliver clearances in the air most of the time.

GusMcRae

RNC reminded me of something else that was going on about the time we were leaving the Bravo airspace,,, ATC was responding to a pilot who had a very strong middle-eastern accent departing Graham (RPH), very hard to understand, ATC had to have him repeat his tail number very slowly, pilot botched the squawk code, ATC had to correct him on that,,,, then ATC comes back and says, "you're the pilot that got lost and had to go back to Graham, you stay with my frequency this time until I give you another frequency".  He was getting onto him pretty good,,,, I'm sure the difficulty to understand the accent was adding to ATC's frustration. 

I know that sometimes when I hear those foreign accents talking to ATC, and ATC interprets it and reads it back, I am in amazement as to how they were able to understand it.  I have felt the urge to commend ATC over the frequency, but have refrained from doing so. 

RNC

Wow, lol.  Pretty hard to get lost in DFW airspace, there's an airport every 10 miles at most.

If that's someone who turned a student loose around there with no GPS that's pretty rough, IMO.  When DFW approach is busy and needs to get a VFR GA plane away from something else they will commonly point you at an airport rather an vector you, saves them time that way.  If you can't find the airport they want you to head toward you'll probably get one of those 'sigggggghhhhhhhhhhhhs' ;).

GusMcRae

Quote from: RNC on August 27, 2013, 11:19:48 am
Wow, lol.  Pretty hard to get lost in DFW airspace, there's an airport every 10 miles at most.

If that's someone who turned a student loose around there with no GPS that's pretty rough, IMO.  When DFW approach is busy and needs to get a VFR GA plane away from something else they will commonly point you at an airport rather an vector you, saves them time that way.  If you can't find the airport they want you to head toward you'll probably get one of those 'sigggggghhhhhhhhhhhhs' ;).

Let me clarify, Graham (RPH) is out about 80 miles or so to the West of DFW, so I don't think he got lost in the DFW airspace. I'm having to speculate what happened, but I figure when he departed RPH, (I didn't catch  where he was headed), contacted FtW Center for a FF request, then left the assigned frequency and went back to RPH for some reason (lost according to ATC).  I'm also assuming that this ATC did a little recon mission with other ATC or pilots in the area of RPH, or maybe RPH has someone on the unicom in the terminal, to see what happened to the guy.  Then, when he returned to the FtW center frequency, the ATC let him have it. 

Hankweb

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 27, 2013, 10:55:07 am

Dallas Naval Air Station (Hensley Field) Closed for military use in '93 with all the base closures (although Air National Gaurd operated helicopters out of there til maybe early 2000's I think.)
Private company built Global Swifts out of there in the 40's I think and I think Vought may still have a presence there building for Boeing maybe (Built Corsairs etc there for years.)
Private group at one time tried to revive it for GA with no success and possible aircraft related business use was last I remember hearing about it.