Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your best gas credit card bill?

Started by RNC, July 19, 2013, 02:01:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RNC

I made 5k this past month  ;D

Admittedly 2k was a loan to a crop duster buddy who ran a bit thin, and has since been paid back so more like 3.

Still, pretty good month of flyin' to get up that much in a single.

Pistol Pete

Well, considering my 172 burns 6-7.5 gph in the pattern, and 8-9 gph at 75% to full power cruise... I've burned maybe $500.00-$700.00 in one month.

So, what interest rate do you charge??? ;)

RNC

Pistol Pete

gotyacovered

Rule #1 - dont add it up ;D

My 12 day pre solo/solo/dual instruction gas bill was $2700, not sure what the monthly was, but it was pretty high. That's when gas at home base was $6.99.

My bill for fuel and hangar at Jack Edwards was ~$450... (7 nights + 42 gallons)
You are what you tolerate.

RNC

Whoa 6.99 is high for hope, or was that somewhere else?

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on July 22, 2013, 09:27:11 pm
Whoa 6.99 is high for hope, or was that somewhere else?

that was a typo... $5.99, whoops. but ya, hope... its only down to $5.68 now.
You are what you tolerate.

Hankweb

Kind of along a similar thread....How many of you use Airnav or something similar to seek out lower fuel costs and make stops at those places to top off or on cross country flights? This is routine for me to check on cross country trips and when I go practice or play it's just as easy to do that near an airport with 5.20 or less fuel rather than topping off at 6, 6.50 or more. Saving fifty cents, a dollar, or as much as a buck 40 or 50 or so when buying 30, 40, 60 gallons or more for many folks adds up very very quickly. I won't go a hundred miles out of my way but if the distance is similar on a cross country or if I'm close to flying over cheaper fuel near home I'll consider stopping there depending on savings (including cost of takeoff etc at stopover),my timing etc. You?

RNC

If there's something directly en route, but with only a single that holds 72 gallons tops, I'm not going to go out of my way for less than a dollar a gallon.

That town where Gus gets gas, KSWI, is awful tempting though.  It's a whopping 4.66 for AVGAS and near DFW.  That is also why the city is about to tear down that airport, though, lol.  Good ole boys got themselves on the airport board of directors up there and voted themselves a self serve pump at or below cost ;).

Hankweb

Where are you based RNC? Do you ever use Airnav or something similar to check fuel prices locally or for a trip?

RNC

I split time between LR and DFW, KORK here and KTKI there.

And no, not typically.  I don't mind paying a little extra for full service, so if it's all within a dollar I just get it wherever I'm headed to.

Hankweb

Thanks. My usual fuel purchase in my A36 is typically between 40 and 60 gallons. Guess I've just always kind of kept track of surrounding fuel costs and if I can easily make a quick stop that's not out of the way saving that 75 cents or buck fifty or whatever per gallon has a just made sense for me. There are several places in 4 different directions around LIT where today you can save a dollar or even up to over two dollars a gallon. I can save a dollar a gallon by dropping into your northern base just across the river.
It'd be hard one for me in Mckinney to not make that 10-15 minute flight north to Sherman and pick up that 50 gallons I need at 2.33 a gallon cheaper!
I do try to top off at my destination on a cross country in order to use the FBO at my destination and whether that curries favor with them or not it makes me feel better. But I also run the trip, as part of my planning process, through a trip planning fuel  search and I'll always use the cheapest fuel stop that doesn't markedly increase my trip distance...it shows the amount saved and the distance for 10 routes that you can choose from. I also try to push my fuel stop out as far as practical so that typically expensive purchase at my destination will be for fewer gallons. Most of my flying these days is cross countries along with frequent procedures and practice with some meal trips thrown in. Typically between 100 and 150 hours per year (although that is declining some) so if I can average saving a buck or a buck fifty a gallon I just might pay for my annual!
Anyway....not advocating at all that you do any of that, or saying one is better than the other...just sharing what works for me.

RNC

Yeah, that's a lot of why I don't, most of my trips are short and I always keep the tanks topped on the ground.

So my average trip from LR to DFW or NOLA is about 2 hours, give or take.  At 75% around 8k feet that's about 25-30 gallons.  Worth it for me to go out of the way to save 30 bucks?  Not really.  If I were burning more fuel in a bigger engine, it would be.

And yeah I also like to use the FBO where I'm going, especially if I'm gonna take a free spot in their big hangar over a weekend or use their courtesy car or whatever else.  That stuff isn't free, I don't mind paying for it in fuel.