Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guy I need to make friends with..

Started by RNC, May 11, 2013, 11:19:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RNC

Apparently someone in North Little Rock owns what looks to be a Douglas SBD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5K20TICfpo

GusMcRae

I didn't think it was ever going to come off the ground....
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

RNC

Hah, he was showing off for us, he saw the 3 or 4 people taking video.  He pulled the gear about 3 feet off the ground and climbed into that ~100 AGL turn.

fdx flyer

I hate to disappoint, but that's a T-6 (or SNJ if you like Navy terminology).  Much, much more common than SBDs.  You had me all excited.   Still cool though.

The CAF has an SBD - it's the only one I've ever seen fly.

Albert Einswine

There was a guy several years back at Waldenburg who had a Grumman TBF Avenger. Twas bad to the bone.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RNC

Quote from: fdx flyer on May 22, 2013, 04:12:59 pm
I hate to disappoint, but that's a T-6 (or SNJ if you like Navy terminology).  Much, much more common than SBDs.  You had me all excited.   Still cool though.

The CAF has an SBD - it's the only one I've ever seen fly.

Yeah someone else told me the same thing, the two do look very similar, but I googled later to find that there are only a handful of SBDs left.

Similar designs?  Cept for a slight tail difference and the paint I can't see a whole lot of difference.

fdx flyer

They do look kinda similar from a distance, but up close you'd see the differences.   The SBD was a dive bomber.  The T-6 (SNJ) was a trainer.  The Dauntless has big dive flaps that extend both above and below the wing in a dive.  They're perforated with tons of small holes.  The dive flaps kept the plane stable in the dive and prevented it from picking up too much speed.  It had a "trapeze" mechanism on the belly that kept the centerline bomb out of the prop when dropped.  Also the rear cockpit was for a gunner. 

Lest you think I'm a complete goober...   I was a Navy pilot, and my grandfather was on the carrier Enterprise (CV-6) in WWII.   So, yes, I'm a little geeky about Naval Aviation.

Here are a couple of Dauntless pics I took at Oshkosh 2 years ago.  This is the only one I've ever seen fly.

[attachment deleted by admin]