Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual thread 2013

Started by gotyacovered, May 08, 2013, 12:08:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RNC

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 11, 2013, 03:57:16 pm
So anyway, the mx that did last year's annual went on to say that they have a couple of planes on their regular annual list that don't have ELTs, and it is supposed to be documented if one is removed, but once that documentation has been made, then they don't document anything about it..... So I pointed out that there was an ELT in there according to the 2011 annual logbook entry,,, and apparently they just didn't check for it at all.   Nice!  Effing nice! 
I'm going with theory #1.

No matter who got it, I'm still livid that evidently, the mx that did the annual last year didn't even take a peek into the tail section.  I paid them to do an annual on the plane, I'd kinda like for them to look over the cables to make sure one is not about to fray into.  Seems like a pretty important part of the annual process. 
They are the same folks that are supposed to do my 182 annual here in a couple of weeks.  If it weren't for the oil leak on the cyl they replaced last year, and hoping that they will make that right in some sort of way, I'd cancel their ticket on that job.  And after this annual, they will be a last resort only type deal, for anything I need in the way of a mx..

I'm going to research receipts to see if I can find a s/n on the ELT.  Mx has all that stuff with him right now.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

RNC

If I could call around and find any record of that ELT being in that guy's other plane, I'd conference both him and last year's annual IA and say "so here's the deal, you're a thief and you're a bad mechanic, both of you could lose your licenses over this but I'm gonna be nice, between the two of you, you owe me 1500 for a new ELT, get me my money by Friday or we can take all this up with the FAA"

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on July 12, 2013, 10:46:32 am
If I could call around and find any record of that ELT being in that guy's other plane, I'd conference both him and last year's annual IA and say "so here's the deal, you're a thief and you're a bad mechanic, both of you could lose your licenses over this but I'm gonna be nice, between the two of you, you owe me 1500 for a new ELT, get me my money by Friday or we can take all this up with the FAA"

...and make it a 406.
You are what you tolerate.

RNC

GusMcRae

MX doing this year's owner assist annual called me over the weekend and said he was ready for me to replace all of the inspection plates, but not the cowling, so that he can run the engine and check for oil leaks where he put on the oil filter adapter.  I did that yesterday evening, so the ball is back in his court now before I can put the cowling back on.
So far, what we have is a missing ELT (replacing, not sure what kind he got, definitely an older style but it is new, for less than $200.), a cowling screw bracket (getting from salvage place) that was obviously jerry rigged and has now broken off, plus rubber grommet, a window latch (getting one off of a salvage plane there on the airport premises), a few dirt dobbers nests cleaned out of the wings.
He's going out of town until sometime next week,,, we're probably going to milk this thing out until August.  Which is fine with me.  About to get the wife back into the left seat of this plane to continue her training after a fairly long break from it.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

HawgPilot

Got mine back a few weeks ago and it was less then budgeted.  Cost was just over $14k

gotyacovered

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 31, 2013, 02:54:44 pm
Got mine back a few weeks ago and it was less then budgeted.  Cost was just over $14k

ok... maybe i do want to stick to single engine non-retract ;D

was it no squawk?

how many hours do you guys fly/year?

HawgPilot

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 31, 2013, 03:08:08 pm
ok... maybe i do want to stick to single engine non-retract ;D

was it no squawk?

how many hours do you guys fly/year?

It was a clean annual with one exception: I had an AD on my fowler flaps that had to be dealt with.  That added about $3500 to the annual.  Last year we flew just over 150 hours.

gotyacovered

Quote from: HawgPilot on August 05, 2013, 11:30:50 am

It was a clean annual with one exception: I had an AD on my fowler flaps that had to be dealt with.  That added about $3500 to the annual.  Last year we flew just over 150 hours.

really not that bad. still outta my league though.

the more i look at it nad the more annuals i get under my belt and with only one partner--a 206 is probably going to be my best option.

i am going to have a chance at a G1000 equipped 206H in the next 16 months or so, hope i can put the deal together in time... bad timing for me but we will see...

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 05, 2013, 11:58:25 am
really not that bad. still outta my league though.

the more i look at it nad the more annuals i get under my belt and with only one partner--a 206 is probably going to be my best option.

i am going to have a chance at a G1000 equipped 206H in the next 16 months or so, hope i can put the deal together in time... bad timing for me but we will see...

This is the same way I have been leaning for quite a while.  When I browse TAP I'm looking for about a mid-80's model 206 equipped with a minimum of a Garmin stack similar to my 182, and with an auto pilot.  Better equipped would be a bonus.  My CFI says he wouldn't have a 206 unless it was turbo.  Just dreaming right now.  Not seriously looking to trade yet. 

My planes are done with annuals.  C-182 - push rod seal on the cyl that had to be replaced last year was where the oil leak was.  Have not flown it to see how clean it is after a trip.  Really no squawks, prolly as cheap of an annual as I'll ever see on it.

Don't have the bill yet on the C-150.  The missing transponder was the big item on it.  Replaced a window latch and cowl mount, both were fixed with salvage parts.  Added the oil filter adapter while it was under the knife, but really can't count that $250 or so as part of the annual,,,, just an upgrade. 

Got out fairly cheap this year.
Itching to get back up in the air. 
Have not flown since 6-26.
Have a couple of places I need to fly wknd of 8-17. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 05, 2013, 03:49:15 pm
This is the same way I have been leaning for quite a while.  When I browse TAP I'm looking for about a mid-80's model 206 equipped with a minimum of a Garmin stack similar to my 182, and with an auto pilot.  Better equipped would be a bonus.  My CFI says he wouldn't have a 206 unless it was turbo.  Just dreaming right now.  Not seriously looking to trade yet. 

My planes are done with annuals.  C-182 - push rod seal on the cyl that had to be replaced last year was where the oil leak was.  Have not flown it to see how clean it is after a trip.  Really no squawks, prolly as cheap of an annual as I'll ever see on it.

Don't have the bill yet on the C-150.  The missing transponder was the big item on it.  Replaced a window latch and cowl mount, both were fixed with salvage parts.  Added the oil filter adapter while it was under the knife, but really can't count that $250 or so as part of the annual,,,, just an upgrade. 

Got out fairly cheap this year.
Itching to get back up in the air. 
Have not flown since 6-26.
Have a couple of places I need to fly wknd of 8-17. 

well, my most trustworthy source (dad--who has around 13-14k hours in a 206) based a lot of their decision to go to the expeditions on the fact non-turbo 206's are no longer going to be available from the factory. hes not a fan.

turbo is very attractive to me, though. if you get into the 80's there is a lot of plane available at good $$$. the one i am looking at has 6k tt and is about to get a new engine... 2004 or 5 model. its out of the regular rotation right now so there wont be a lot of hours piling on it over the next year. has AC too... its a good buy though. just need a partner, to bad you dont live closer!  ;D

glad to hear about your annual. that first flight right after is always fun... ."will remain in the pattern..."

RNC

I've got an A&P friend down in DFW currently working for Southwest looking to leave the corporate world and start up on his own.  He swears to me that he could make money hand over fist just doing pitot/static inspections around the southeast/southwest.

In looking at what I might want to step up to in a year or two, that idea keeps intriguing me.  If he's right, and can bring in a couple guys who can fly as well, we could justify a pretty nice airplane for them to fly around doing minor maintenance with.  And I could have personal use of it with justification to write off the cost of it.

I think something like that is the only way I'll ever own something nicer than a higher end single. 

I'll have to mull over the tax implications with my CPA but the idea has caught my ear, that's for sure. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on August 06, 2013, 01:07:25 pm
I've got an A&P friend down in DFW currently working for Southwest looking to leave the corporate world and start up on his own.  He swears to me that he could make money hand over fist just doing pitot/static inspections around the southeast/southwest.

In looking at what I might want to step up to in a year or two, that idea keeps intriguing me.  If he's right, and can bring in a couple guys who can fly as well, we could justify a pretty nice airplane for them to fly around doing minor maintenance with.  And I could have personal use of it with justification to write off the cost of it.

I think something like that is the only way I'll ever own something nicer than a higher end single. 

I'll have to mull over the tax implications with my CPA but the idea has caught my ear, that's for sure. 

not to question your business savvy... but are you suggesting that a bunch of $345 (on the high end) IFR/VFR cert test and other minor mx can buy you a nicer plane than you already own?

IMO (and very humble one at that) its very hard to justify flying somewhere within 1.5 hour drive or less, on business (believe me i do it regularly) and use profitability as a factor/requirement. it cost at least double to fly, it comes down to what your time is worth.

factor that in with the equipment that is required to have to perform a pitot/static test, including the bench test equipment for the alt/transponder and i dont see how it would be possible to make money on anything over $60-70 / hour op cost.

with your endeavors, you just need to keep expanding that and get your nicer airplane ;D

(dont you love free advice) :P

RNC

Well, that's the thing.  Pitot/Static tests on our singles are 400 bucks, more like 1200-1600 on a private jet that has an RVSM approved altimeter/autopilot.  But they still require the yearly inspection just like we do.

The reason not everyone is doing this is you need a specific set of test gear with a pretty high cost of entry for your average mx shop (80k-90k I'm told).

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on August 06, 2013, 06:11:17 pm
Well, that's the thing.  Pitot/Static tests on our singles are 400 bucks, more like 1200-1600 on a private jet that has an RVSM approved altimeter/autopilot.  But they still require the yearly inspection just like we do.

The reason not everyone is doing this is you need a specific set of test gear with a pretty high cost of entry for your average mx shop (80k-90k I'm told).

...that's a whole diff level, yep. You need to get your IFR cert done in Arkansas!

I may have misunderstood you clientele base (SW/SE). I still would like to see a high end single that you can carry enough tools to do the kinda work you speak of... Hell, you may end up with a partner. If you liked high wings... a 210 would be perfect!

RNC

Yeah, I'm not sure about the bulk of the gear, but he's just talking about doing inspections, not repairs.

The way I look at it is all of these cheap twins look a lot more attractive if the guys doing the annuals on one are doing it for free + parts.  Rest of the time they can use the plane to travel around and make money, and the plane itself can be written off as an expense.

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on August 07, 2013, 10:28:18 am
Yeah, I'm not sure about the bulk of the gear, but he's just talking about doing inspections, not repairs.

The way I look at it is all of these cheap twins look a lot more attractive if the guys doing the annuals on one are doing it for free + parts.  Rest of the time they can use the plane to travel around and make money, and the plane itself can be written off as an expense.

dont get me wrong, i like the idea... i quiz bc, well, thats just what i do ;D growing up my dad taught me... always be skeptical and when dealing with with people and airplanes, there is no such thing as coincidences.

i know for a fact, to do the IFR/VFR certs, (which is what i believe you refer to when you speak of the pitot/static system test for $400) that the alt/transponder has to be tested and both times i have had it done they are removed from the plane and bench tested to FL20. the equipment to do that was not bulky, but i think it would be hard to get the faa approval to have a portable/movable bench testing equipment... again i only opine.

RNC

That was part of the idea, the guys he worked with before have designed and had FAA approval for a mobile test bed already, they're selling the gear to other shops ;).

Problem is the guy they worked for is a bit of a scheister and ran all of his customers off, so that leaves a void in this particular market in the area.

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on August 07, 2013, 01:38:01 pm
That was part of the idea, the guys he worked with before have designed and had FAA approval for a mobile test bed already, they're selling the gear to other shops ;).

Problem is the guy they worked for is a bit of a scheister and ran all of his customers off, so that leaves a void in this particular market in the area.

well there ya go... sounds like you need to get into the avi sales, not the avi inspection bidness!!!!!!!

RNC

Pssh, that's not the American way!

You make money with the test business, then use the money to buy the design of the gear from the inventors.  Then you double the price from 90k to 180k to ensure no one else has it and make yourself the monopoly of pitot/static testing.

If anyone complains, bribe them, and if that doesn't work threaten to sue them for defamation.

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 05, 2013, 03:49:15 pm
My planes are done with annuals.  C-182 - push rod seal on the cyl that had to be replaced last year was where the oil leak was.  Have not flown it to see how clean it is after a trip. 

It is so nice to once again only have a little half dollar size oil spot on the floor right underneath the vent tube.