Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What lesson did you learn when you flew last?

Started by GusMcRae, March 22, 2012, 12:53:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Just from my short tenure in aviation, I've heard it said several times from veteran and rookie pilots alike, as well as experienced it myself, that I pick up on some little tidbit of knowledge or experience something new, almost every time I fly. 

I thought it would be interesting to hear what the pilots on here have learned lately, or on their last flight.

I'll start.  I am a VFR pilot, barely started working on instrument rating.  I flew a friend over to Aero Country (T31) on the outer edge of DFW's airspace near McKinney Tuesday, to pick up a Cherokee 140 he bought.  Some clouds popped up about the time we left, and after requesting flight following, SPS approach asked if I had "weather on board", which I do not.  He said there was a system that I was headed directly for that had light to moderate rain in it, but gave me a 10* vector to hit a weak spot in the cloud.  I could see the cloud, and could tell it was clear on the other side of it, so we vectored 10*, went through a little rain and pretty much lost visibility for maybe 15-20 seconds, and we were through it.  No rain the rest of the way.

After dropping my friend off and making sure his new ride cranked up, I flew to KSWI from T31, topped off with their cheap ($4.62) fuel, as fuel at F05 has gone up to $5.10, tied down there as I had a funeral to attend on Wed.  Then Wed PM, I had to watch for a break in the weather and wound up leaving KSWI around 6:15 PM.  Once again, after requesting flight following, when I got about 90 miles from SPS, Ft Worth Center told me there was a cloud right about SPS, and they gave me a 10* south heading to take for about 60 miles, in order to shoot the gap between two little clouds on either side of SPS.  I could see both of them, went right through the gap, a little moisture hit the windshield.  Requested to drop from 6500 down to 4500 right as I was going directly over SPS to stay underneath a taller shelf. 

It just gave me a little more confidence to fly when there are a few clouds and showers popping up, instead of just not flying at all.  Flight following can do so much more than just traffic separation, so if you need help, don't be afraid to ask. 
I do realize if they're busy with traffic, they have to take care of that first.

What did you learn,,,, lately?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

i learned one last week on my way to Drake/KFYV:  dont get slow on sort final with a 25 kt headwind.

she didnt want to fly anymore when i needed her too, so i add power and floated down the runway for what seemed like 6 months. ;D
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

It has taken me awhile to get in the habit of having a little power left in there with the 182 when landing.  Can't just pull it all off like in the 150. 

That Aero Country Airport (T31) was interesting.  North end was turf.  Asphalt part was only 2950'X40'.  Fairly tight with houses around and a busy road flanking the south end.  Privately owned airport but open to the public, but no touch and goes allowed. Had to taxi through a neighborhood to get to my friend's plane, in which the taxi way was also the driveway to these houses.  Several planes sitting around in people's driveways.  On our way out a car had to duck off into another driveway to let us through. :o 

And, I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems like numerous airports have their very own token "Cessna 337 Skymaster" (Push me Pull You Twin) sitting there that never moves.  That may be Cessna's version of the Ford Edsall.  I hope I didn't offend anyone that might own one.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

Made a quick round trip over to F00 and back yesterday afternoon.  Normally, Ft Worth Center will have me change frequencies several times on this route, and as usual they did on the trip over.  Requested flight following on the return trip, got my squawk number and never heard from them again, no change frequency, no traffic to watch for, nothing,,,, which I thought was odd.  Ft W Center transmission started getting weaker than the pilots calling in on that frequency, then it got to where I could not hear Ft W Center at all, but could still hear pilots calling in.  Also, when leaving my FBO, I start out with Sheppard Approach, and they pass me off to Ft Worth, and vica versa coming back.  When SPS airport came in sight and I still had not been passed off to SPS nor heard a peep out of Ft W Center,,, I thought "they've forgotten about me because I know they never told me to switch frequencies or anything". 
About the time I was going past the North end of SPS, I saw 2 trainers (T6 Texans I believe) on final approach underneath me.  Even though they were probalby 5000' below me, I figured ATC should have told me about it.  I attempted to contact Ft Worth Center, repeated, nothing.  So I just switched over to SPS approach and told them what was going on.  SPS asked if I had cancelled flight following with Center, and I repeated to SPS what happened, and I assumed that they forgot about me, and possibly by the time they remembered, I was out of their range, so I figured I better let someone know.  SPS just said "roger", and it wasn't long before I was able to cancel flight following.
Not sure what I should have done different. 
Perhaps when the signal started getting weak, let Center know so they might pass me off to another frequency.  ???? Not sure. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 27, 2012, 09:39:49 am
Made a quick round trip over to F00 and back yesterday afternoon.  Normally, Ft Worth Center will have me change frequencies several times on this route, and as usual they did on the trip over.  Requested flight following on the return trip, got my squawk number and never heard from them again, no change frequency, no traffic to watch for, nothing,,,, which I thought was odd.  Ft W Center transmission started getting weaker than the pilots calling in on that frequency, then it got to where I could not hear Ft W Center at all, but could still hear pilots calling in.  Also, when leaving my FBO, I start out with Sheppard Approach, and they pass me off to Ft Worth, and vica versa coming back.  When SPS airport came in sight and I still had not been passed off to SPS nor heard a peep out of Ft W Center,,, I thought "they've forgotten about me because I know they never told me to switch frequencies or anything". 
About the time I was going past the North end of SPS, I saw 2 trainers (T6 Texans I believe) on final approach underneath me.  Even though they were probalby 5000' below me, I figured ATC should have told me about it.  I attempted to contact Ft Worth Center, repeated, nothing.  So I just switched over to SPS approach and told them what was going on.  SPS asked if I had cancelled flight following with Center, and I repeated to SPS what happened, and I assumed that they forgot about me, and possibly by the time they remembered, I was out of their range, so I figured I better let someone know.  SPS just said "roger", and it wasn't long before I was able to cancel flight following.
Not sure what I should have done different. 
Perhaps when the signal started getting weak, let Center know so they might pass me off to another frequency.  ???? Not sure. 

If I am on a "normal" route and haven't heard from them When I have normally been handed of, I will, ask for a radio check or anything that will remind them I am there. Figure it's better than saying, FW center, 653.... Did you forget to hand me off". Kinda like pointing it out to everyone that he screwed up... It only happened to me once... And that time I just for Memphis and said 653 with you at 6500 and it was like they, or I never missed a beat...

GusMcRae

My CFI's wife is a retired ATC.  I'm going to quiz her about it when I get a chance.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 27, 2012, 01:38:31 pm
If I am on a "normal" route and haven't heard from them When I have normally been handed of, I will, ask for a radio check or anything that will remind them I am there. Figure it's better than saying, FW center, 653.... Did you forget to hand me off". Kinda like pointing it out to everyone that he screwed up... It only happened to me once... And that time I just for Memphis and said 653 with you at 6500 and it was like they, or I never missed a beat...

Talked to the retired ATC and she basically said the same thing gotya said.
She said when Ft W center's signal started getting weak I could've asked something like "Is Sheppard open today?" or ask for a radio check, as I was getting close to SPS, and after not hearing from them where I normally would,,, as Sheppard is usually not operational on nights and weekends.  She said that flight following a GA plane is low priority for ATC, so if they're busy, we're not that important.  But like gotya said, they don't want someone pointing out over the frequency that they effed up.  She said that if they have let a GA flight following plane get out of range, they might even ask another aircraft to attempt to relay the frequency change.  She also reminded me that we have the responsibility to let Class D, or Class C airspace know if we enter their airspace. I was above SPS (Class D) airspace.  If I had actually entered Class D or C airspace in a situation like that with flight following forgetting about me, after the smoke settled, I would probably have been asked to complete a report.  She said that ATC does everything they can to keep from having to do that sort of paperwork. 
I will definitely speak up if that ever happens again.

GusMcRae

I learned I need to find a different airport around San Antonio than Boerne Stage Field.  SS fuel was $5.99.  Charged $20/night to tie down there, but you got one night free if you purchased their high dollar fuel.  Yikes! 
I need to get my arms around flying into KSAT (the big airport at SA).  However, last Friday would not have been a good day to do it.  I had to fly down around 3500 MSL to stay under the clouds, so flight following had to cancel me.  That would not have been the way to fly into KSAT for the first time.

gotyacovered

i learned a couple valuable lessons this past weekend.

my back right passenger intercom jacks were acting up and my son could not hear, but we could hear him. he is 9... and was tired from a long weekend at the lake and was kind of acting up... i tired to fix it and fly... i was working a stable 200fpm decent from 4500 thru 3000... so i reach back and start fooling with it, couldnt fix it. 10nm out i call M18 unicom to announce my position, nothing. i try again... nothing. cant hear myself, it sounds like the mike is 'keyed'. i finally reach back and unplug his headset and it solves the problem. by this time i was 8 miles out. lesson learned: leave it alone if it isnt vital.

the other is a long story i am going to shorten. i wake up at 6am and it is broken 2600 and 10 at KHOT; mist, sky clear and 5 at KTXK. i wake up the wife and tell her if she wants to make church (at 10:15 in Hope) she better get in the shower and such. we end up departing at 9-9:15 (she really listens to me). it is calling it broken, 1900 and 10, i decide to go, depart 23 and fly west where it looked to be scattered. it is showing sky clear at KTXK, and 900 ovc at KDEQ at this point, that metar at dequeen really got my attention. i climb out at vx and quickly (like at 1600) get on top of a scattered/broken layer. i climb to 4500 and can see the edge of the soup, fly for about 20 miles with no sight of the ground beneath me. the rest of the flight was uneventful (besides the above). the next KHOT metar was 900ovc and i could hear people shooting approaches when i was still 30 miles from Hope. lesson learned: i need to fill the bucket of knowledge before emptying the bucket of luck. BE PATIENT.

gotyacovered

learned one yesterday.

i took a quick hop to Hot Springs to Bryant. i stayed low b/c of the short flights, and cruised (maintaining VFR) under a scattered layer of cumulus clouds (something my dad told me not to) and I was constantly in an up/down draft. the extra 1.5 mins it would have taken me to get to 5500 would have been well worth it. didnt bother my kids, i dropped them off in Hot Springs then headed to KSUZ, it was even worse on this trip and thought the wife was going to  :puke:

but she didnt. she was however pleased this morning, smooth as glass.

GusMcRae

I flew the C-150 on about a 2 hour xc Tuesday evening, in the heat, and then back home early this AM. 
It pays so much to fly early AM this time of year if at all possible. 
I had to learn how to fly a 150 again xc. 
No rudder trim, and this trip was requiring constant pressure in the right pedal to keep the ball centered.
No AP, so I was constantly having to pay attention to the heading numbers.  I haven't looked at my tracking on "myflghtbook.com" yet,,, I'm sure it is pretty comical.  Holding altitude is something I have to do in the 182 since it doesn't have alt hold,,, but the 150 seems to catch the thermals, up and down, especially Tuesday in the heat. 
2 hours each way, used flight following and never once was I advised of traffic to watch for.  Flew right over Ardmore, and between Lawton and Sheppard.  Just seemed odd. 
Nothing in the way of communications, etc.
I appreciate the 182 more and more. 

gotyacovered

September 04, 2012, 02:52:06 pm #11 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:56:06 pm by gotyacovered
Kind of long winded, but I wanted to provide the background and enough info to make it clear I was never violating any FAA rules/regs.

Friday the kids wanted to go to the high school football game and annual pancake supper. Against my better judgment I tell the fam we can go eat pancakes and watch the first quarter. We do.

I depart out of M18 at dusk knowing there are a few small isolated areas to avoid. Get on with Fort Worth who verified what equipment I had (XMWX with NEXRAD) and my planed route. I told him I was going to fly 045 out of M18  about 15 miles north of Arkadelphia then due north to KHOT to avoid some small isolated events. He agreed that was the best plan. About 30 miles SW of KHOT when I was switched over to Memphis center I discussed the what I was seeing on NEXRAD with Memphis center. The system just north of KHOT was growing as rapidly. I had been listening to a jet shooting an approach and heard him say he would cancel IFR when he got on the ground. The controller got a PIREP from him, which basically he said if I was going to be on final within 10 mins it was going to be fine and to enter extended base for 23. I was 6.5 mins out.

fast forward to short final, a complete downpour has commenced, the ATIS was reporting 210 22g29 and as I am monitoring the airspeed indicator I notice that it is already reporting much slower than it should and as I turn final it goes dead. Erring on the side of caution, I fly final a lot faster than normal and never go to full flaps. As I am coming over the numbers - lights go out - I manage to get them back on very quickly but at the brightest setting, now I am blinded, pouring down rain, no airspeed indicator.

At this exact moment is the first time I have felt that rush of adrenaline/fear while in the cockpit. Still fast I flare at taxiway bravo and float and float and float, chop the power and the sink started, possibly made worse by the heavy rain induced downdraft. Right as I touch down I apply a tad bit of power, which causes the beginning of porpoising, twice to be exact, before my wheels have a chance to touch for the third time I firewall everything and go 'round.

This time on downwind and base it is still raining, hard, but as I turn final the good lord above decided I had enough that night, lightened up the rain and I had a normal landing - even without the airspeed indicator.

***disclaimers***

I was able to maintain visual flight rules at all times, the ceilings were reported at 6500 and 10; realistically they were about 4700 and greater than 6
Wind was variable right up until 10 mins out, no precip
I had lots of options south – KSUZ, M89, KTXK, M78 – basically anything south of KHOT was reporting sky clear, variable winds, no precip... which I was able to confirm with my own eyes.
The storm was moving NE, I was able to see that it was intensifying while on the ground at M18 (and while enroute), but it was moving north easterly enough that (I thought) it was going to miss KHOT, unfortunately I didn't take into consideration that it was possible it would grow enough to be a factor.

As I was rode with my FIL to the lake house I took a screen shot of the NEXRAD on my iphone that was showing to be 12mins old...

Lesson learned:
1. Don't panic, fly the plane
2. have a backup plan, I found so much comfort knowing I could, if need be, exit south
3. I stayed calm and the wife and kids were clueless about the airspeed indicator problems, had I been able to get her on the ground without going around, they never would have known anything was out of the norm.
4. Don't rush
5. b/c I was without airspeed, I decided to land with 20* flaps instead of my normal landing config (full flaps) AND to land faster than normal, this was not the best call; I should have stayed within my normal operating procedures.

What's that bvillepig said? You got a license to learn!!! Well I exercised that Friday night.

GusMcRae

Was the IAS instrument malfuntioning because of water getting in the pitot tube, or are you having issues with it?

Sounds like you handled the curve balls thrown at you just fine. 

I guess yours and my normal landing configurations are opposite.  I typically land with 20* flaps with IAS at 80 in the pattern and deep into final,,, on very short final, I stop looking at it airspeed and just finish by feel.  If I see that I'm a little too high on final, I put in additional flaps, sometimes full, just to avoid using up so much of the runway, or so that I don't have to go around, and to get some more experience landing with greater than 20* flaps.  But full flaps landing is not my norm.

gotyacovered

September 04, 2012, 05:14:28 pm #13 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:21:14 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on September 04, 2012, 04:04:12 pm
Was the IAS instrument malfuntioning because of water getting in the pitot tube, or are you having issues with it?

well. i just got back from the airport, i had hit a bug and pieces of it where in the pitot tube itself. i have not had trouble with it, other than one time recently it seemed to come alive slower than normal when departing. he said i probably hit it at some earlier point and the rain just accentuated the problem.

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 04, 2012, 04:04:12 pmI guess yours and my normal landing configurations are opposite.  I typically land with 20* flaps with IAS at 80 in the pattern and deep into final,,, on very short final, I stop looking at it airspeed and just finish by feel.  If I see that I'm a little too high on final, I put in additional flaps, sometimes full, just to avoid using up so much of the runway, or so that I don't have to go around, and to get some more experience landing with greater than 20* flaps.  But full flaps landing is not my norm.

yes, we def take two different approaches. full flaps and <65 kts unless there is a good reason for something diff (wind).

my dad responded to me this way when i asked him the following question: why use full when i like 20 better? as usual answered my question with a question: Why would you have any more energy and speed than necessary?

i dont think there is a wrong or right way, it is the way that you are most comfortable with. i like to know that with full flaps, when she touches down, she is finish flying. its probably a lot like the low wing/high wing debate, depends on what you are flying ;D

EDIT: i maintain 80 mph IAS when i go to 20* on base... 110-90 from midfeild downwind to abeam the numbers... the one thing that you do that is very important the way i was trained... you dont ever hang it on the prop over the fence with full flaps. big "no no" with my pops. that last 20* of flaps is nothing but drag.

GusMcRae

September 05, 2012, 01:40:12 pm #14 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:31:46 pm by FlyingRzrbkAF
Quote from: gotyacovered on September 04, 2012, 05:14:28 pm
well. i just got back from the airport, i had hit a bug and pieces of it where in the pitot tube itself. i have not had trouble with it, other than one time recently it seemed to come alive slower than normal when departing. he said i probably hit it at some earlier point and the rain just accentuated the problem.

Ok, glad it was just a bug.  I thought maybe I had missed something along the way that I was supposed to expect IAS instrument to go on the blink anytime you get into wet conditions.  I have only been through a few little light showers as PIC and never experienced any problems.  Bug in the pitot tube makes sense.  Easy fix.

Quoteyes, we def take two different approaches. full flaps and <65 kts unless there is a good reason for something diff (wind).

my dad responded to me this way when i asked him the following question: why use full when i like 20 better? as usual answered my question with a question: Why would you have any more energy and speed than necessary? 

I guess it is just in the way I was taught.  And the only reason I can think of to still have a little more speed or energy than necessary would be in the event where the go around was definitely necessary.  I know another C150 pilot that lands with full flaps all the time, and questions me about landing at 80 IAS and only 20* flaps.   

Quotei dont think there is a wrong or right way, it is the way that you are most comfortable with.

Again, I agree, just what one is comfortable with and for me, that happens to be the way my CFI told me to do it. 
I'm assuming what you mean with your  Edit note at the bottom, is that you put in the last 20* flaps on final or short final.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 05, 2012, 01:40:12 pmI'm assuming what you mean with your  Edit note at the bottom, is that you put in the last 20* flaps on final or short final.

exactly, i dont go to full until the field is made (if power is lost). 40* of flaps turns that thing into a brick!

i fly with a couple people that use full flaps as well, but they will go to full on final/before field is made and have 15-16"" of MP pressure in. at that point i have 11" or 12". they are just dragging it in and if they have even a partial loss of power, making the field would be in question.

i find my self regularly reminding my self: airspeed is pitch control, power stops sink. i had a hard time grasping that concept early on in my training...

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 06, 2012, 11:47:48 am

i find my self regularly reminding my self: airspeed is pitch control, power stops sink. i had a hard time grasping that concept early on in my training...

My CFI got this across to me somehow early on.  I never did struggle with it,,, but my wife and my dad, who are both student pilots, and who both have been on a hiates from training for several months,,, struggle with it. 

After my wife discussed her struggle with it several times,,, I told her to think about speed like you would if you were holding the reins on a horse,,, pull back a little if you're wanting to slow down, slide the reins forward on the horses neck if you need to speed up.  :D
I haven't thought of anything clever to help her grasp the adding power to stop sink.  She'll get it eventually. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 06, 2012, 12:04:14 pm
I haven't thought of anything clever to help her grasp the adding power to stop sink.  She'll get it eventually. 

have her nose it over to stop sink a couple times and i bet she will figure it out pretty quickly ;D

if she is anything like me - i used power to do both... and i knew to stop sink to use power... i bet it is the pitch control to establish the proper airspeed she is struggling with. i got it before i solo'd (at 17 hours).

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 06, 2012, 11:47:48 am

You know it's funny, the Air Force and the Navy teach this control and performance completely opposite.  I did my primary training with the Navy and the control and performance method was "pitch for airspeed, power for descent rate".

I then went back to the Air Force for advanced training and then my years as an instructor and the control and performance method was "power for airspeed, pitch for descent rate".

Obviously the two go hand in hand, but it's interesting to see how people approach the topic.  The important thing is to know exactly what control inputs you're putting in, what they will effect, and how you must adjust the other parameters based on the first input.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

This is the Air Force's instrument manual.  It teaches how to do everything from basic aircraft control and instrument cross check, to high penetration approaches, holding, circling, and using advanced cockpits.  It's the Bible of Air Force instrument flying.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFMAN11-217V1.pdf

It says that "Proper power control allows the pilot to smoothly establish or maintain desired airspeeds in coordination with attitude changes."  This kind of goes along with the fact that either one works, but you have to control both pitch and power to maintain airspeed and descent rates.  It's just fun to see which instrument people go to to track their performance from their control inputs.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 06, 2012, 01:40:11 pm
This is the Air Force's instrument manual.  It teaches how to do everything from basic aircraft control and instrument cross check, to high penetration approaches, holding, circling, and using advanced cockpits.  It's the Bible of Air Force instrument flying.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFMAN11-217V1.pdf

It says that "Proper power control allows the pilot to smoothly establish or maintain desired airspeeds in coordination with attitude changes."  This kind of goes along with the fact that either one works, but you have to control both pitch and power to maintain airspeed and descent rates.  It's just fun to see which instrument people go to to track their performance from their control inputs.

thats cool.

they def go hand in hand. i think the primary reasons for controlling airspeed is a safety deal, if you lose an engine on final and are controlling your airspeed and decent with power, you are in trouble.

i found this interesting:

Quote1.2.1.1. Pitch Control. Changing the vertical position of the miniature aircraft or fuselage dot in relation to the artificial horizon makes pitch changes. These changes are measured in degrees or bar widths depending on the type of ADI.

airspeed indicator is the only reference i (we) have in cockpit to monitor pitch...that airplane is a total different animal. i am also guessing it is pretty hard to get behind the "power curve" in that aircraft also...?

gotyacovered

i am about to go to Dewitt and back... one of my customers (a construction company) had a lunch cook out... deer chilli... think i learned my lesson and i am not even leaving until 3:30.

GusMcRae

When I departed KSAT on Monday, I had reached the point where I was about to rotate, which happened to be right where runway 12R was pretty much coated solid black with rubber from the big planes landing and barking their tires.  Anyway, I felt a different kind of feeling from my plane starting to come off the ground but still on the ground.  "Grabby" is the best way I know how to describe that feeling of the rubber coated surface of the runway, that was different from just the feel of asphalt.  Perhaps I was a little light on the right rudder to compensate for the torque/yaw, but nonetheless, it felt much better to get on up off the ground as opposed to that grabby tire sensation.

Anyone ever noticed that?

rnclittlerock

October 12, 2012, 01:54:18 am #23 Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:56:48 am by rnclittlerock
yep, at adams on 22L, which is the most often used by the big iron there.  they tend to send GA to 18/36 since it's right next to Central and GA parking, and unless needed send the bigger traffic to 22L and use 22R only when there's lots of traffic.  when i was learning to land at night we would request 22L so we could touch and go while keeping our pattern outside the rest of the field.

a little gust to go with a sticky tire jerked me sideways a few degrees a couple of times, thankfully never lost a tire.

Flying Razorback

It's more than likely so thick that it's kind of changed the RCR a little at that end of the runway.  With a light aircraft it'll not feel smooth or consistent at all.

GusMcRae

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 12, 2012, 09:11:57 am
It's more than likely so thick that it's kind of changed the RCR a little at that end of the runway.  With a light aircraft it'll not feel smooth or consistent at all.

Ok, I'll ask:  What is RCR?  ???

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on October 12, 2012, 10:25:22 am
Ok, I'll ask:  What is RCR?  ???

Sorry, RCR is Runway Condition Reading.  An RCR of 23 corresponds to a dry/smooth runway, RCR of 16 approximates a dirt runway, RCR of 12 is a wet runway, and RCR of 5 is an icy runway. 

There are numbers between those.  A rubbered up runway that's dry should still have an RCR of 23.  However, it's easier to get uneven surface across the rubber and take it down a couple or if it has any condensation on the surface it's easier to get in to Rubber Reversion Hydroplaning than it is just normal dynamic hydroplaning on a non-rubbered runway.

GusMcRae

I flew over to KSWI Friday afternoon in time to watch HS volleyball and HS football game.  Needed to get back Sat, but was flexible on time of departure.  Lots of weather was being predicted, but there was a good window of opportunity so I departed around 1:00 PM, ceilings were about 4000 along the route back to F05, so I did a scud run of about 2500' ASL all the way back, keeping a watchful eye of any tall towers and such.  Did not request FF. 
This was the first trip that I really needed to utilize the XM weather that I finally subscribed to for my Garmin 560.  To be really honest, I was a little disappointed.  Yes, it showed me the line of clouds/rain i was about to encounter, but I could pick the weak spots to go through more accurately with my eyes than I could relying on the Garmin 560.  There was enough of a delay, that with the clouds moving left to right, I needed to be heading into a cloud according to the 560, that was in reality already out of the way. 
Not so sure I'm very pleased with the the whole XM weather feature on the 560.

Turned out that I got through that area around Wichita Falls just in time.  A short time later, it got pretty hairy with thunderstomrs, tornadic activity and such. I was prepared to turn around or just land somewhere and wait it out.  But flying through a little light rain a couple of times is all I dealt with.

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 05, 2012, 02:29:57 pm
i am about to go to Dewitt and back... one of my customers (a construction company) had a lunch cook out... deer chilli... think i learned my lesson and i am not even leaving until 3:30.

Thats a great one !!!

I love Mexican food but have to watch it.  I use the FAA alcohol rule to also apply in this case !!!

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on October 16, 2012, 12:59:18 pm
Thats a great one !!!

I love Mexican food but have to watch it.  I use the FAA alcohol rule to also apply in this case !!!

LOL... i'll have to remember that.

GusMcRae

Cheap fuel and a jerk pilot.  Long,, sorry.

Flew from home base to KSWI Friday, and it was shaping up to be a fairly non-eventful flight.  Cancelled FF, called Unicom and reported 10 miles inbound from the West, just before reporting 5 miles out,  I hear a guy report 10 miles from the south, so I'm certain I'm going to be ahead of him unless he's in a fighter jet, so I go ahead and report 5 miles out inbound from the West to fly over mid-field and enter the downwind leg of runway one six.  I get in the pattern and toward the end of my downwind leg  I hear a 2nd pilot  say inbound 3 miles from the North,,, so I'm thinking, whoever that is will surely go to the South end of the pattern and enter downwind behind  the inbound traffic from the South.  I report "......turning left base.....", and as I'm turning left base I hear the 2nd pilot say "Sherman traffic, I do not have traffic in sight", so I say "....I'm on left base now for runway one six...."  I'm looking out to the North for him and I see him about the time he says "Oh, I see you now, I'm a little close, so I'm just going to do a 360 and let you go ahead".  He was pretty dang close alright (300-500 feet I'm guessing), same altitude as I was and he was headed right for me as I see him bank out of it for his 360.  I said "ok thanks" and by this time I'm turning final, report final, with my blood pumping a little faster than it was before, but I got right back to setting up to land.  I go ahead and land, announce that I'm "clear the active", and this jerk is already on very short final.  Inbound traffic from the South had to extend his downwind leg to give this guy a little more time to be sure he's clear of the runway.  I wasn't planning on even getting fuel this trip, so I tied down.  Fuel at KSWI has gone down to $4.05 so I did wind up getting fuel, just not on Friday!  Both of these guys were coming to get fuel.  I decided to walk over to the guy and ask if I missed him calling in earlier, and he says "no, I called in 3 miles from North, you were already in the pattern, I was coming in kind of awkward".  Awkward?  Awkward!  I just told him if I had missed him calling earlier I was going to apologize, but since he had not, I guess it wasn't necessary.   I guess he was just going to do a direct approach ahead of both me and the other traffic that called in like we were supposed to.  He was in a Piper Lance T-tail, other guy was in a Piper 260.  Piper 260 pilot was on his cell phone when I initially walked over, but when he got off of his phone, he joined us, says something about it being a busy place with the cheap fuel, and they start talking about their planes and the fuel, so I bow out of the conversation by saying "y'all be safe" to go wait for my ride.  Before my ride got there 2 more planes were lined up to get fuel. 
Fast forward to Sunday, late afternoon, my wife, step-son, and I take a little joy ride over Lake Texoma and around for about an hour, and return to KSWI.  This same jerk in the T-tail Lance is there getting fuel again.  I taxi up behind him, shut everything down and kill it.  My wife said while I was turning off my master avionics switch and beacons, this guy kept looking back at us, like we're invading his space or something, but she didn't tell me this at the time.  So we all just sit in the plane talking, waiting for him to finish fueling and get out of the way.  He climbs in, so after a reasonable amount of time, I'm thinking "ok, he's got to be about to crank up any minute".  So I go ahead and step out to get ready to pull my plane up to the fuel pump.  I no more than get out of the plane good and he fires up and his engine immediately runs up to about 1700 rpm or better and stays at high rpm, sounded about high enough to check your mags or higher .....  I grabbed my cap, but my glasses which I had put above the bill of my cap went flying off and skidded to a stop about 30 yards behind me, scratching the hell out of them.  After retrieving them, Jerk Pilot had pulled away from the pump, and my wife tells me about him giving us the fish-eye, and she thinks he did it on purpose. 
Is there an unwritten rule about how much distance to keep between you and the plane ahead of you at the gas pump?  I was probably no closer than 25 feet behind the tail of his plane.  I've had guys pull up closer behind me before while getting fuel, and I'm pretty sure the guy in the Piper 260 on Friday was every bit as close behind him as I was yesterday.   

Lessons learned: 1) Be cautious of jerks that don't report inbound like they should or their position in the pattern like they should.    >:( 
2) Don't forget to take your glasses off of your cap before stepping out behind a plane that's about to crank up. 

gotyacovered

November 05, 2012, 03:36:20 pm #31 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:55:04 pm by gotyacovered
i am not aware of any unwritten rules, just safe distance. sound like you were plenty safe.

if not already there should be unwritten rules for dusting a plane behind you, deserved or not. there are a lot of things that can happen in that situation. and scratched sunglasses would suck, but not as bad as somethings.

as much as i wear sunglasses, that would be close to fighting for me ;D

rnclittlerock

anyone hurts my raybans is gonna get some words.

there's a guy who leaves from CWS in a light low wing 2 seater sometimes like that (don't remember exact make/model).  last time i pulled in behind him he fired up and started his run up right next to the lobby door.  he watched us pull in behind him but that didn't deter him. 

it's not hard to keep a lot of traffic organized at uncontrolled fields with common courtesy and common sense, sadly a lot of people lack one or both it seems.

GusMcRae

Perhaps everyone knew this but me, but the tachometer adjusts how fast it turns based on RPM, not just a constant rate the instant the engine starts up like the Hobbs meter.
I have been recording my flight time using the Hobbs meter, so I had been keeping up with that this time to keep up with when I needed to change the oil again.  Had about 28 or so hrs on the Hobbs, was only 22 on the tach. 
Noticed the difference when I was looking in the engine logbook and jotting down the tach time.  Asked the A&P who assisted me with the oil filter adapter install about the tach/Hobbs.

gotyacovered

heres a good one...

on my way back yesterday there was an ovc layer about 6500ft that was about 80nm wide... i was at 9.5. i deviated east about 40nm to stay on the edge of it and maintain VFR. there was a rocket launch (i still never saw the TFR - if there was one). Kansas City vectored me around it. anyway... i was already off course any the vectors deviated me even further east... everything was building out west and that overcast layer broke up the further east i got, but i decided to descend to 5500ft anyway to not bust VFR... i ended up flying into a pretty good headwind right under a layer of clouds that was never more than scattered, and if fact were described as "few" on most of the METARs. best i can tell the headwind/vectors cost me about 20 min en route. at the time i didnt think it would save me as much time as i already wasted to climb back up.

to simplify, my lesson learned... dont be so quick to make a judgement call. if i got 'trapped' above the clouds south i could have 180'd and descended since it was CAVU over the entire midwest and to the east.

for the record i found the satellite mosaic on the 696 to be very accurate. very useful tool.

rnclittlerock

that when you call 5 miles out at the same time a citation is calling 20 miles out he's gonna beat you every day of the week and twice on sunday.

MDH

Quote from: rnclittlerock on November 19, 2012, 05:33:08 pm
that when you call 5 miles out at the same time a citation is calling 20 miles out he's gonna beat you every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Bad thing is, if it is a Citation I or II their nick name is Slowtation...  ;)
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

rnclittlerock

Quote from: MDH on November 19, 2012, 05:42:39 pm
Bad thing is, if it is a Citation I or II their nick name is Slowtation...  ;)

not as slow as a 172, lol. 

he called out coming in right base on 20 at SUZ, and i was due north, he passed under me and asked what runway i was headed to.  i told him the airport is kinda in a bowl so i don't rely on LR's ATIS for the winds there, they tend to swirl a bit, and some smoke was more on the side of 02.  turns out i was right, so i kinda got the last laugh.  he had to call out that he was taxiing on my runway since he came in quite long with a tailwind.

small victories..but he's still in a citation and i'm still in a 172...

MDH

Quote from: rnclittlerock on November 19, 2012, 05:55:24 pm
not as slow as a 172, lol. 

he called out coming in right base on 20 at SUZ, and i was due north, he passed under me and asked what runway i was headed to.  i told him the airport is kinda in a bowl so i don't rely on LR's ATIS for the winds there, they tend to swirl a bit, and some smoke was more on the side of 02.  turns out i was right, so i kinda got the last laugh.  he had to call out that he was taxiing on my runway since he came in quite long with a tailwind.

small victories..but he's still in a citation and i'm still in a 172...

Both Cessna's though, at least you kept it in the family...
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

GusMcRae

Don't get complacent about checking your ammeter.  The ammeters on the planes I've flown the most, show very subtle difference between charging, discharging, and neutral.  I will be checking mine much more often with more than just a cursory review. 

GusMcRae

I learned a couple of things about my Garmin 430, one of which made me feel really stupid.  Anytime I fly xc, I select the "direct to" button and punch in my destination airport, shortly after takeoff, a message will pop up that says something like, "select heading of 175" (whatever the heading is),,,, and I always thought it was just telling me to "get the plane pointed in the right direction dumbass".  So I would cancel the message and try to tighten up my heading. 
My CFI was with me, and he sees the message flashing, and he points to it, I start to cancel it and he stops me, and tells me to set the #1 VOR instrument to the 175 heading. 
I've always just flown using the GPS (430 and 560 headings), never had set it.  If I got off course a little, the needle is deflecting off of center, so I could correct towards the needle. 
I know I've said it before, but I have so much to learn about what all that 430 can do. 
There were a couple of other things he did that I had no idea it would do.  One was, I was looking at the lights of a town up in front of us and was pretty sure it was Eastland.  Looked at my iPad foreflight and zoomed in, sure enough I was right.  He did something and said "you can always do this if you want to see what airport it is..." he was using the dial on the 430 like a mouse, scrolled it to the airport in question, punched a button and it brings up that airport info. 

Anytime I mess with it by myself, I punch buttons out of sequence and can't get to where I'm trying to get with it. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 01, 2013, 12:17:24 pm
I learned a couple of things about my Garmin 430, one of which made me feel really stupid.  Anytime I fly xc, I select the "direct to" button and punch in my destination airport, shortly after takeoff, a message will pop up that says something like, "select heading of 175" (whatever the heading is),,,, and I always thought it was just telling me to "get the plane pointed in the right direction dumbass".  So I would cancel the message and try to tighten up my heading. 
My CFI was with me, and he sees the message flashing, and he points to it, I start to cancel it and he stops me, and tells me to set the #1 VOR instrument to the 175 heading. 
I've always just flown using the GPS (430 and 560 headings), never had set it.  If I got off course a little, the needle is deflecting off of center, so I could correct towards the needle. 
I know I've said it before, but I have so much to learn about what all that 430 can do. 
There were a couple of other things he did that I had no idea it would do.  One was, I was looking at the lights of a town up in front of us and was pretty sure it was Eastland.  Looked at my iPad foreflight and zoomed in, sure enough I was right.  He did something and said "you can always do this if you want to see what airport it is..." he was using the dial on the 430 like a mouse, scrolled it to the airport in question, punched a button and it brings up that airport info. 

Anytime I mess with it by myself, I punch buttons out of sequence and can't get to where I'm trying to get with it. 

its a constant learning process. when (or i guess i should say if since we haven't ordered it yet) we put the 650 in and panel mount the 696, i am going to have to do lots of adjusting/learning.

RNC

Don't leave a prop blade pointed down unless you like premature prop overhauls (yes, someone hit mine with the tow cart, no, I don't know who).

flynhog

When the SHTF and everyone walks away after landing then its is a good landing.   If you can use the airplane again it's a great landing.

Nothing builds sound decision making like learning from a bad decision.  I have made my share too.  Be safe!
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

gotyacovered

good one...

my xm wx was taking forever to load coming out of drake last weekend. was hot and tired from a long weekend of golf, so i give it 3-4mins, no joy; depart anyways thinking it will load at some point over the 55min flight--wrong. no pressure settings, no METARs, no sat view, no radar, no winds aloft, etc.

it was good vfr wx, but it was night and on the edge of convective activity over the ouachita's. i would probably chalk that up as stupid. got me a new checklist item

-oil pressure check- avionics on (so it has plenty of time to load)
-right after windows/doors locked - wx live