Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early SEC Vegas lines

Started by ricepig, May 29, 2017, 07:34:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 14, 2017, 02:08:51 pm
+1000

Cantrell's good.

Dude. SHUT UP. I do not want to like you. :)

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawganatic on June 14, 2017, 04:19:23 pm
Betting lines aren't designed to predict the winner.  They are designed to get equal amounts of money on both sides of the bet.  That's how they stay in business and make $$$.

We can't even get our own fanbase to believe in this team.   How is Vegas going to get anybody else to bet on the team unless there is an outlandish betting line?

Well, vegas does a damn good job when you look at the results last season (and other seasons) of magically aligning their goal of getting equal money with how the season plays out. They are rarely off more than a game.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 15, 2017, 06:38:34 am
Well, vegas does a damn good job when you look at the results last season (and other seasons) of magically aligning their goal of getting equal money with how the season plays out. They are rarely off more than a game.

I would venture to guess public perception of win totals is more accurate than any random game a degenerate wants some action on while he's at the bar. Spreads tend to be way off. In my experiences, there are too many times when you know if your bet is a good or bad one in the first quarter.

razorsharptusk

Our last two games of the year we were up big at half time, just to blow it in the second half.  You seen two teams in those games.  A team that was explosive, and a team that played unmotivated, and we seen both in the same game in two different games.  Like it was scripted.  So, I can see these lines being exactly what they are.  Who knows what will happen with this team.
GO HOGS!!

LZH

I know that betting lines are designed to get more people to bet, but they can be a pretty good thermometer, too. Back in the day I did quite well with teams like Nebraska and Oklahoma. Not because I knew what the hell I was doing, but because they had no reservations about running up the score on anyone and everyone they could.

Kansas (+35) @ OU....... that was an easy $100. Especially when you looked in the paper the next day and the final score was like 70-7.

I would apologize to my bookie, who I was friends with, but he insisted that it was okay because he had it taken care of. I guess he laid the bet off on someone else - not sure how all that works. But it kept me in beer and cigarettes.