Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Skipper

Started by MS_HogFan, May 22, 2017, 10:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kig

Yep, sheer lunacy.  But at least they are talking about him. 
Poker Porker

lasthog

Quote from: The Kig on May 22, 2017, 10:28:36 am
Yep, sheer lunacy.  But at least they are talking about him.

Maybe linbacker...don't know why we never gave him a shot at that. He would've batted down passes like mosquitos.  ;)

PorkRinds

That may be the dumbest thing I've heard.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WMHawgfan

Well if we are just going to throw out crazy, why not Skipper as the QB in the Wildcat with Dak at left tackle?

onebadrubi

Its the opening week of OTA's and you guys want to bash the guy for writing an article that got all of you all's attention?  Seems as if he did is job pretty well...

Seeing if the rookie could run a TE route as a OT is not as far fetched as asking the o lineman to play QB. 

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2017, 01:13:43 pm
Its the opening week of OTA's and you guys want to bash the guy for writing an article that got all of you all's attention?  Seems as if he did is job pretty well...

Seeing if the rookie could run a TE route as a OT is not as far fetched as asking the o lineman to play QB.

We'll have to wait for the Titans to open camp for that :)
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DeltaBoy

Read today he was signed by the Cowboys!!!

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/05/17/cowboys-latest-signing-quite-mountain-man

Sorry with a SICK WIFE  I have not been keeping up as good as I should.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WMHawgfan

I am not sure anyone is bashing the writer. He threw out an admittedly crazy idea. The rest of us are just having fun with it and throwing out crazy ideas of our own.

supersaint

I enjoyed your article.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

PorkSoda

He showed a pretty good leg against TAMU, maybe he can be a punter.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Seeing if skipper can be a TE is about as far fetched as it gets. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2017, 03:14:16 pm
Seeing if skipper can be a TE is about as far fetched as it gets. 
Blocking TE in a goal line formation? sure, he might even be able to catch a pass in a red zone chip play.  out side of that, yes its pretty far fetched.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 22, 2017, 03:29:24 pm
Blocking TE in a goal line formation? sure, he might even be able to catch a pass in a red zone chip play.  out side of that, yes its pretty far fetched.

Exactly. Skipper isn't going to be starting this year. So, like Kirkland and Bailey both did early in their careers and Jefferson did his one year here, they play as a 6th OL player in jumbo formations.
Meaning, they'd be eligible receivers.

Kirkland and Bailey are tall sure, but not crazy tall. A 6' corner with a 36" vertical would be able to deflect a pass that was 9' off the ground. Skipper is crazy tall. Skipper is 6'9 with 33 38ths arms. Lets say head to shoulder is 12 inches or so, without jumping, he could catch a pass that was about 8'3" above ground. That's 8'3" off the ground without even jumping. His vert was ver 24". However, he'd need to jump just 12" off the ground to catch a pass that basically no corner would be able to deflect, if he can catch. Which is worth finding out if he's going to be playing in a receiver eligible position next year.

EDIT: Forgot about the arm length for the DB. However, that's under ideal conditions. Maybe like a hail mary where the db perfectly times the jump. Not running from their position to cover Skipper so while they'd have another 2 feet or so of reach, they aren't going to hit that high of a vertical in that situation either. Under ideal conditions, for example, Byron Jones, the cowboys DB who posted insane combine, would be able to reach 11 and a half feet into the air. Which is crazy.

However, he'd likely be covered by a LB in this situation. Still worth looking into IMO.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sowmonella

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 22, 2017, 03:41:30 pm
Exactly. Skipper isn't going to be starting this year. So, like Kirkland and Bailey both did early in their careers and Jefferson did his one year here, they play as a 6th OL player in jumbo formations.
Meaning, they'd be eligible receivers.

Kirkland and Bailey are tall sure, but not crazy tall. A 6' corner with a 36" vertical would be able to deflect a pass that was 9' off the ground. Skipper is crazy tall. Skipper is 6'9 with 33 38ths arms. Lets say head to shoulder is 12 inches or so, without jumping, he could catch a pass that was about 8'3" above ground. That's 8'3" off the ground without even jumping. His vert was ver 24". However, he'd need to jump just 12" off the ground to catch a pass that basically no corner would be able to deflect, if he can catch. Which is worth finding out if he's going to be playing in a receiver eligible position next year.

EDIT: Forgot about the arm length for the DB. However, that's under ideal conditions. Maybe like a hail mary where the db perfectly times the jump. Not running from their position to cover Skipper so while they'd have another 2 feet or so of reach, they aren't going to hit that high of a vertical in that situation either. Under ideal conditions, for example, Byron Jones, the cowboys DB who posted insane combine, would be able to reach 11 and a half feet into the air. Which is crazy.

However, he'd likely be covered by a LB in this situation. Still worth looking into IMO.
I was told no math in MMQB??
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bennyl08

Quote from: sowmonella on May 22, 2017, 03:48:18 pm
I was told no math in MMQB??

I didn't math in that post.

HogsonHicks

This idea is about as crazy as a former Razorback we used as a TE being converted to an All-Pro OT. 

(Oh wait, that happened...)

onebadrubi

Quote from: supersaint on May 22, 2017, 03:00:06 pm
I enjoyed your article.

Ha no, I barely can compose sentences suitable for Hogville.  I am far from a writer and did not write that article.

supersaint

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2017, 05:23:37 pm
Ha no, I barely can compose sentences suitable for Hogville.  I am far from a writer and did not write that article.

Whatevs!  Don't be all humble. Great job!!!
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

DeltaBoy

I expect to see him this fall on Extra point block so he can block a few of them...
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.