Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are going to shock a lot of experts this year

Started by sowmonella, April 14, 2017, 11:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: LRRandy on April 18, 2017, 04:05:34 pm
kinda has been for the last decade.
we have been close a few times (4 point loss in 2010 and 1 point loss in 2014), so its not like its impossible to imagine.  the way saban has been juggling OCs recently, he may be searching for a new identity on offense which often comes with inconsistent play.

Florida had like a 10 year win streak against us and we beat them last year.  Its going to happen.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Funny story, LSU did offer a kid the day he was born and he ended up playing at LSU as a DT I think.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2017, 04:45:23 pm
Funny story, LSU did offer a kid the day he was born and he ended up playing at LSU as a DT I think.

I vaguely recall Glen Dorsey being one of those incredibly large babies, like 14+ pounds being born. Don't think he was offered a scholly on that day though.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2017, 05:04:22 pm
I vaguely recall Glen Dorsey being one of those incredibly large babies, like 14+ pounds being born. Don't think he was offered a scholly on that day though.

Herman Johnson I think it was.  he was the largest baby ever born in LA. 

reality may differ some from the story as I heard it.

http://www.dandydon.com/report.php?id=1428

"With football season 79 days away, today we'll continue our jersey countdown by taking a look at a special former Tiger who wore No. 79 at LSU from 2004 through 2008 – Herman Johnson. As many of you will recall, Johnson played guard for LSU, and at 6-7, 386 pounds he was a quite a force to be reckoned with. Johnson anchored an LSU offensive line that was one of the school's best ever in run blocking, and made All-SEC team as a junior and senior. Johnson was also a first round selection to the AP/Coaches All-America team as a senior. An interesting tidbit: Unless I'm mistaken, Johnson still holds a spot in the state's record book as the biggest baby ever born in Louisiana at 15 pounds, 14 ounces. The story goes that on the day of his birth, the doctor who delivered the massive baby told Mrs. Johnson that Herman was a future LSU Tiger. It's also been said that after the news of his birth spread, LSU's head coach at the time, Bill Arnsparger, offered baby Herman a football scholarship in anticipation of his future size."

LRRandy

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2017, 04:08:03 pm
we have been close a few times (4 point loss in 2010 and 1 point loss in 2014), so its not like its impossible to imagine.  the way saban has been juggling OCs recently, he may be searching for a new identity on offense which often comes with inconsistent play.

Florida had like a 10 year win streak against us and we beat them last year.  Its going to happen.
let this be the year then. I'm all for it.
This is fun, isn't it.

PorkSoda

Al Boarland

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 18, 2017, 06:59:18 pm
Is Barrett Sallee doing Hog podcast now?

https://twitter.com/barrettsallee/status/854413232366379009

Everyone has an opinion, he is just lucky enough to get paid to express his and if he is wrong he'll legitimately be able to say, "who knew"? If he is right he can always say, "told you so". He doesn't know, just as we aren't certain as to what this defense is going to turn out to be, just like the O-Line. We are all in "wait and see" mode.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 07:27:15 pm
Everyone has an opinion, he is just lucky enough to get paid to express his and if he is wrong he'll legitimately be able to say, "who knew"? If he is right he can always say, "told you so". He doesn't know, just as we aren't certain as to what this defense is going to turn out to be, just like the O-Line. We are all in "wait and see" mode.

muskie... I hope I'm wrong and you guys are right. I actually send prayers that way as sad as that is. I honestly think the Oline will be darn solid this year. I worry about linebackers and nickel backs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 07:29:12 pm
muskie... I hope I'm wrong and you guys are right. I actually send prayers that way as sad as that is. I honestly think the Oline will be darn solid this year. I worry about linebackers and nickel backs.

I really believe that the offense will be far more consistent this year (1st and 2nd half), will be better in the RZ and while I don't harbor any Christmas wishes that the 2017 defense is going to be similar to the 2014 defense, I do think it will wind up being the second best since Bielema has been here and not far behind the 2014 version. We are going to have a really good rushing offense and I think we will have a good (maybe not great) passing offense. Along with an improved defense overall, I think we win the number of games this year, that we should have won last year.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 07:53:15 pm
I really believe that the offense will be far more consistent this year (1st and 2nd half), will be better in the RZ and while I don't harbor any Christmas wishes that the 2017 defense is going to be similar to the 2014 defense, I do think it will wind up being the second best since Bielema has been here and not far behind the 2014 version. We are going to have a really good rushing offense and I think we will have a good (maybe not great) passing offense. Along with an improved defense overall, I think we win the number of games this year, that we should have won last year.
It's possible. It also possible that your opinions could be right and the record not reflect the improvement. My opinion is the talent level isn't there to take the next step. I expect offenses across the SEC to be more explosive due to improved QB play.

sowmonella

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 07:27:15 pm

Barrett is an Aubbie Grad and an idiot. He's a bandwagon humper.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Al Boarland

Quote from: sowmonella on April 18, 2017, 08:07:30 pm
Barrett is an Aubbie Grad and an idiot. He's a bandwagon humper.

I don't think he has an agenda with regard to Hog football. I would think with him not being of U of A alum he would have the ability to shoot it straight. All that being said he could be wrong. It's not like he's making a great leap with his prediction.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 18, 2017, 07:58:01 pm
It's possible. It also possible that your opinions could be right and the record not reflect the improvement. My opinion is the talent level isn't there to take the next step. I expect offenses across the SEC to be more explosive due to improved QB play.

Jake Bentley at S. Carolina, Jacob Eason at Georgia, Drew Lock at Missouri and Kyle Shurmur at Vanderbilt are all expected to be very good in 2017 but they are all in the East. We face two of them.

Nick Fitzgerald is certainly dangerous as a running QB at Miss State but not as much as a passer. Jalen Hurts at Alabama, we all know what he can do. Shea Patterson at Ole Miss is Chad Kelly in running the ball, but not in passing the ball. Not to say that he can't improve, but we don't know that yet. Etling at LSU is another decent QB but yet another who didn't complete 60% of his passes. The biggest thing he has going for him is the talent that surrounds him. A&M doesn't have an established starter returning and Hubenak certainly isn't anyone to necessarily be feared. Then there is the transfer QB in Stidham at Auburn. He did well at Baylor, but Baylor and the Big 12 don't have the defenses that the SEC has. I think it will take him time to acclimate.

So I am not sure where you come up with this? Most of these guys are marginal based on their performance last year, with the exception of Hurts.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 08:16:22 pm
Nick Fitzgerald is certainly dangerous as a running QB at Miss State, Jalen Hurts at Alabama, we all know what he can do. Jake Bentley at S. Carolina, Jacob Eason at Georgia, Drew Lock at Missouri and Kyle Shurmur at Vanderbilt are all expected to be very good in 2017 but they are all in the East. We face two of them.

Nick Fitzgerald is certainly dangerous as a running QB at Miss State but not as much as a passer. Jalen Hurts at Alabama, we all know what he can do. Shea Patterson at Ole Miss is Chad Kelly in running the ball, but not in passing the ball. Not to say that he can't improve, but we don't know that yet. Etling at LSU is another decent QB but yet another who didn't complete 60% of his passes. The biggest thing he has going for him is the talent that surrounds him. A&M doesn't have an established starter returning and Hubenak certainly isn't anyone to necessarily be feared. Then there is the transfer QB in Stidham at Auburn. He did well at Baylor, but Baylor and the Big 12 don't have the defenses that the SEC has. I think it will take him time to acclimate.

So I am not sure where you come up with this? Most of these guys are marginal based on their performance last year, with the exception of Hurts.

Well, Fitz at MS St will take the next step. Mullin can coach QB's. Toss up game. Patterson at Ole Miss is a 5 star talent with a little experience. Should be improved. Reports are Hurts has improved substantially. LSU has athletes. Can they get them the ball?  A&M I'll give you. Saw the Baylor kid's highlights of Auburn's spring game and he was dropping dimes. They have comparable talent to LSU and no issues running the ball. So yeah....offenses will be potent this season.