Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs now at 83 in RPI and 52 in BPI

Started by checkraiser88, January 31, 2016, 02:52:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 01, 2016, 04:57:13 pm
You are putting way too much stock in the zones effectiveness. There were good looks taken but missed. Basketball is a game of runs, they happened to be in the zone when they made their run. Coincidently didn't they start the game in man and build a double digit lead with it? Guess we suck against man defenses too..................

Maybe. But I predict we see a lot more 1-3-1 zone until we show we have clue what to do against it.

rude1

Quote from: hobhog on February 01, 2016, 07:06:24 pm
Maybe. But I predict we see a lot more 1-3-1 zone until we show we have clue what to do against it.
We have been effective against zones all year so that's not going to matter.  Our problems are NOT on the offensive end, our problem has been locking the other team down defensively and finishing with the rebound.

Nipsey Mussle

If there's "football jealousy," I sure haven't seen it. I think it's more of being amazed how Hogsanity and Kevin will effectively switch sides of an argument depending on whether it is BB or MA. They will argue for/against the same things and not recognize the absurdity.

I support both coaches and programs and not sure how anyone can see a night and day difference between the jobs the two coaches have done up until this point. I can understand favoring one, but not to that extreme. Just odd, really.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: rude1 on February 01, 2016, 07:24:01 pm
We have been effective against zones all year so that's not going to matter.  Our problems are NOT on the offensive end, our problem has been locking the other team down defensively and finishing with the rebound.
But Hogsanity told me we are terrible against zones and aren't coached properly to beat them.

Breems

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 01, 2016, 08:05:54 pm
If there's "football jealousy," I sure haven't seen it. I think it's more of being amazed how Hogsanity and Kevin will effectively switch sides of an argument depending on whether it is BB or MA. They will argue for/against the same things and not recognize the absurdity.

I support both coaches and programs and not sure how anyone can see a night and day difference between the jobs the two coaches have done up until this point. I can understand favoring one, but not to that extreme. Just odd, really.

How come when you say words they are beautiful?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 01, 2016, 08:05:54 pm

i agree. I'll never understand that mentality. I've seen other hog fans just like those guys.

They wail after every basketball loss and pooh pooh every basketball win but at the same time  bielema can do no wrong. I like bielema and I like where we are headed but we were supposed to be in the top 25 this year.

Every statement is the same. "We don't run an offense. Same old problems bla bla bla."  They are of the belief that we play street ball.  I've watched every single game closely. Outside of the mercer game, our problem isn't offense. Not at all. It's stopping the other team at crucial times. Sounds a lot like what we saw this fall from the football team...

Why can't we just support both guys?

daprospecta

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 01, 2016, 08:48:36 pm
i agree. I'll never understand that mentality. I've seen other hog fans just like those guys.

They wail after every basketball loss and pooh pooh every basketball win but at the same time  bielema can do no wrong. I like bielema and I like where we are headed but we were supposed to be in the top 25 this year.

Every statement is the same. "We don't run an offense. Same old problems bla bla bla."  They are of the belief that we play street ball.  I've watched every single game closely. Outside of the mercer game, our problem isn't offense. Not at all. It's stopping the other team at crucial times. Sounds a lot like what we saw this fall from the football team...

I'm not going to say but we alllllllllllllllllll know why.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2016, 11:36:35 am
Harris got him with the body. 

Hogs decided to go man and got spread out.  Then typical of Qualls, he went for a block he had no business even attempting instead of staying on the weak side for the game clinching rebound.  Harris did a pretty good job challenging the initial shot.  Can't blame the officials for Qualls mistake or for the Hogs all guarding at the 3pt line with a 1pt lead allowing for a drive with a smaller player vs a larger slower player and an off reb opportunity.
Lol you and the Harris body call.

azhog10

Why is it jealousy when someone compares the treatment and double standards between the two programs? I love CBB and believe where he is taking the program and what he's doing on the court and in the classroom. None of that takes away from how happy some are with one program and unhappy with the other when the one they are unhappy with has actually been more successful.

Rawker

Quote from: daprospecta on February 01, 2016, 08:59:49 pm
I'm not going to say but we alllllllllllllllllll know why.

Don't bring reality into this forum of comic-strip characters living in a dreamworld where Calipari is an upstanding, honorable human-being that would rather coach at Arkansas over KY.  Reality barely has a place in sports-fandom anywhere, and it definitely has no place here.   

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 01, 2016, 08:48:36 pm

I don't think they play street ball.

What I don't get is why people who support Mike can't defend him without trying to compare basketball to the least comparable sport there is. A better comparison would be baseball, another sport where you can lose multiple games, but play a much longer schedule than football, and not be out of the NC picture.

Again, I don't think MA is a bad coach, I just do not think he is great. If the goal is to be a good team, then he is the guy, but good is not going to get you much past the bubble or the 1st weekend of the ncaat most years. Once you get to the ncaat, a lot of it is a crap shoot of who you draw, who is healthy, who gets upset, but you gotta be in it to have a chance to win it. And there in lies the problem, it is likely that in 5 seasons Mike is only going to have lead his team to one chance to win it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2016, 08:55:33 am
I don't think they play street ball.

What I don't get is why people who support Mike can't defend him without trying to compare basketball to the least comparable sport there is. A better comparison would be baseball, another sport where you can lose multiple games, but play a much longer schedule than football, and not be out of the NC picture.

Again, I don't think MA is a bad coach, I just do not think he is great. If the goal is to be a good team, then he is the guy, but good is not going to get you much past the bubble or the 1st weekend of the ncaat most years. Once you get to the ncaat, a lot of it is a crap shoot of who you draw, who is healthy, who gets upset, but you gotta be in it to have a chance to win it. And there in lies the problem, it is likely that in 5 seasons Mike is only going to have lead his team to one chance to win it.

Before this season Mike was easily one of the top 3 coaches in the SEC.  New guys are putting their hats in the ring so we'll see.  I know some of your guys on this board (you included) talk about other coaches around the league like you'd rather have pretty much any of them than Mike but whatever. 

He's brought us from awful (that's not debatable, the program was awful) to good (we are looking at 3 post-seasons in a row--NIT or NCAA--which is good).  We still have a ways to go to get to really good and great but just because we're stuck on "good" for a few seasons doesn't mean we can't break past it.  Especially if this particular team overachieves.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Danny J on January 31, 2016, 02:57:52 pm
I want to beat UF at UF so bad I can't hardly stand it.

But history tells us that it probably won't happen.  The officials will most likely see to it.  One can only hope differently, though.