Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs now at 83 in RPI and 52 in BPI

Started by checkraiser88, January 31, 2016, 02:52:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

We can climb major spots if we beat Florida next week. They are sitting at 21 in RPI.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/1/sort/RPI

Danny J

I want to beat UF at UF so bad I can't hardly stand it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on January 31, 2016, 02:57:52 pm
Not gonna get my hopes up.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 31, 2016, 02:58:29 pm

KY demonstrated how to beat us.  Lock down D on Bell and Hannahs.  If Moses can't beat you inside by himself the rest of our role guys aren't going to either.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: pigasaurus on January 31, 2016, 03:06:45 pm
KY demonstrated how to beat us.  Lock down D on Bell and Hannahs.  If Moses can't beat you inside by himself the rest of our role guys aren't going to either.

Goos news is UK is the only team so far that has been good enough to do that.

Win over Fl would put us in the conversation. But I still only think we get in by winning the SEC tournament

Nipsey Mussle

It's easier to demonstrate with UK's talent. I could demonstrate how to stop the Panthers by the brilliant strategy of keying on Cam, but you better have some damn good horses to carry out that plan effectively.

Nipsey Mussle

Do we make the NIT if we finish .500 from here on out?

daprospecta

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 31, 2016, 09:49:07 pm
Do we make the NIT if we finish .500 from here on out?
I'd say no because we are better than 65% of the teams we have left on the schedule. 

The Hogfather

I can't see us beating UF @ UF.  Probably a 12-point loss.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 31, 2016, 09:57:26 pm
I can't see us beating UF @ UF.  Probably a 12-point loss.
12 points or so sounds about right, but we could've easily won @ LSU and they are playing good ball right now.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 31, 2016, 02:58:29 pm
Funny enough I think we match up very well with them. I hope we get a veteran officiating crew that calls the game even. If that is the case I think we can win this game. They are flying high off beating a top 10 team on national TV. Yes...they are a good team but I like our chances. We have played aTm twice and UK once already so I don't think they are going to surprise us with their athleticism.

I think it will be a close game. Hopefully all the close games we have been in(seems like all our games are close including 20% of every game we have played has gone to OT) will help us close this one out late. We shall see....

PS...you guys know me well enough to know that I don't often predict road wins by any CMA team but I simply have a good feeling about this game. I almost feel calm about it which is weird.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Danny J on January 31, 2016, 10:15:56 pm
Funny enough I think we match up very well with them. I hope we get a veteran officiating crew that calls the game even. If that is the case I think we can win this game. They are flying high off beating a top 10 team on national TV. Yes...they are a good team but I like our chances. We have played aTm twice and UK once already so I don't think they are going to surprise us with their athleticism.

I think it will be a close game. Hopefully all the close games we have been in(seems like all our games are close including 20% of every game we have played has gone to OT) will help us close this one out late. We shall see....

PS...you guys know me well enough to know that I don't often predict road wins by any CMA team but I simply have a good feeling about this game. I almost feel calm about it which is weird.

The officiating is very key.
We were alot better than Florida last year but still lost because of a phantom foul on Alandise in the final seconds. (clean block)

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 01, 2016, 09:10:30 am
We were alot better than Florida last year but still lost because of a phantom foul on Alandise in the final seconds. (clean block)

CMA is probably still pissed about that game, that call, that ref.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Texas Tech realized, too lat,, that the Hogs kryptonie is still a solid zone defense. Not only does it put our offense to sleep, it tends to make us sleep on defense too. I think Tubby out thought himself Sat by going back to man to man for the over time. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 09:15:33 am
CMA is probably still pissed about that game, that call, that ref.

Watching clips from the WV game this weekend, I'm already really worried about the refs.  UF seemed to get away with some very physical play to put it mildly.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 01, 2016, 09:29:51 am
Watching clips from the WV game this weekend, I'm already really worried about the refs.  UF seemed to get away with some very physical play to put it mildly.

I like it, setting up the ref excuse already. Good to see someone working ahead.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2016, 09:39:20 am
I like it, setting up the ref excuse already. Good to see someone working ahead.

Good point, they weren't showing any WV highlights so who knows whether it went both ways.

You thought I was going to argue!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2016, 09:39:20 am

Can't blame him. He probably learned that behavior by reading MMQB after a loss by the football team.  ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Breems

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 10:01:03 am
Can't blame him. He probably learned that behavior by reading MMQB after a loss by the football team.  ;)

Nice. If Karma meant anything, I'd +10000 you. I remember hogsanity setting up and using all kinds of excuses for the football team the past couple of seasons.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 10:01:03 am

Actually I take my statement back.  As a Hog fan I'll never apologize for having in the back of my mind the idea that the refs might hand UF a game.  You can pretend I'm weak minded and expect less for our program or whatever you want to pretend from that.

October 17, 2009 will forever live in Razorback infamy.  I'll always hate the Gators.

Edit:  "you" being Hogsanity

Breems

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 31, 2016, 10:09:46 pm
12 points or so sounds about right, but we could've easily won @ LSU and they are playing good ball right now.

I don't believe they're a very good 3-point shooting team despite their performance against West Virginia. If that cools off, it will work in our favor. I don't see us walking out of the swamp with a win, though.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 10:06:22 am
I don't believe they're a very good 3-point shooting team despite their performance against West Virginia. If that cools off, it will work in our favor. I don't see us walking out of the swamp with a win, though.

The more alarming takeaway from the game, is Florida's performance against the press and one of the best defenses in the country.  West Virginia averages 15 steals per game, while the Hogs average 7.

We are going to have to have a great offensive output to stay in this one.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 01, 2016, 10:10:32 am
The more alarming takeaway from the game, is Florida's performance against the press and one of the best defenses in the country.  West Virginia averages 15 steals per game, while the Hogs average 7.

Probably won't press full court much at all. Aggressive trapping half court defense; defensive rotations with situational awareness; guards helping on the boards; and getting to the foul line will be huge. Shooting well is key as always.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 10:03:17 am
Nice. If Karma meant anything, I'd +10000 you. I remember hogsanity setting up and using all kinds of excuses for the football team the past couple of seasons.
There is litterally nothing dumber on hogville than this ghey football team/coach vs basketball team/coach mentality some of you keep instigating.

Breems

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 01, 2016, 10:47:27 am
There is litterally nothing dumber on hogville than this ghey football team/coach vs basketball team/coach mentality some of you keep instigating.

Watch hogsanity during football season and then during basketball season and you'll be spewing the ghey as well.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 10:49:11 am
Watch hogsanity during football season and then during basketball season and you'll be spewing the ghey as well.

I am laughing out loud as I type.

hogsanity

February 01, 2016, 11:20:49 am #27 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:31:03 am by hogsanity
Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 10:03:17 am

Why cant some of you talk basketball without all the football jealousy. 1 Football is the revenue king, so of course it gets more fan participation. Football has 12 regular season games, b-ball has 30+, so of course attendance varies more based on opponent and game time.

As for football, there was, in my mind, no excuse for the Toledo and TT losses. Yes, there were injuries that changed things, but they still should have won those, and probably the A&M game as well.

But here we are 3 days BEFORE the game, and people are already saying the refs will be the difference.  Can't be that the Gators play well at home, and the Hogs are not a great road team. Won't have anything to do with the FL guards being able to contain Bell and Hannahs. Nope we already know if the Hogs lose it'll be because of the refs.

But okay, if in YEAR 5 the football team is struggling to beat their equivalent of Mercer or Akron, and are struggling to get to .500, then yes BB's seat should be rocket hot.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 10:49:11 am

This
+1000000000

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 01, 2016, 09:10:30 am

Harris got him with the body. 

Hogs decided to go man and got spread out.  Then typical of Qualls, he went for a block he had no business even attempting instead of staying on the weak side for the game clinching rebound.  Harris did a pretty good job challenging the initial shot.  Can't blame the officials for Qualls mistake or for the Hogs all guarding at the 3pt line with a 1pt lead allowing for a drive with a smaller player vs a larger slower player and an off reb opportunity. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BRHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2016, 11:20:49 am
Why cant some of you talk basketball without all the football jealousy. 1 Football is the revenue king, so of course it gets more fan participation. Football has 12 regular season games, b-ball has 30+, so of course attendance varies more based on opponent and game time.

As for football, there was, in my mind, no excuse for the Toledo and TT losses. Yes, there were injuries that changed things, but they still should have won those, and probably the A&M game as well.

But here we are 3 days BEFORE the game, and people are already saying the refs will be the difference.  Can't be that the Gators play well at home, and the Hogs are not a great road team. Won't have anything to do with the FL guards being able to contain Bell and Hannahs. Nope we already know if the Hogs lose it'll be because of the refs.

The biggest problem with college games is the lack of good quality officiating.  Most SEC teams not named Kentucky can agree that officiating issues run rampant through the SEC with a heavy bias to the home teams.  I've seen it in Fayetteville, where I definitely feel like we've gotten calls, because the ref doesn't want to hear to torrent of boos if he makes the call the other way. 

Fans are not making excuses for the potential refereeing that we are about to see on Wednesday, but rather planning on being dissappointed that the game will most likely not be officiated in a way that they will agree with based on experience.  When it comes to Florida, there is a strange pattern that has developed including football and basketball, where the calls typically are missed favoring the gators. 

There is a strong opinion (whether it's correct or not) among Hog basketball games, that officials establish a pre-determined physicality level in SEC games that can help or hinder "Hogball".  With allowing them to "just play" typically aiding the style of basketball that CMA's teams are playing.  The main assertion being that blowing a whistle slows the game down, helps opponents catch their breath, and puts the Hogs out of rhythm.  I assert that Arkansas has no problem playing a style, but that they are less appreciative of an inconsistently called game, which tends to be the main problem with officiating.  This consistency can vary from official to official and sometimes can vary within 10-12 minutes in the game.  Some of this is accompanied by the swings of the level of play you see from the teams, but sometimes it occurs without any feasible explanation. 

All I can say is, that officiating should not dictate as much as it does in the game, but I can definitely see that it does, and why some Hog fans just don't expect a well-officiated game that aids their style.

dsims2k3

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 01, 2016, 10:47:27 am
Well HV is the only place where "football is king", yet the expectations for the program are lower than for basketball. You can go 15-11 in 2 years football and you are a rock star around here.   
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

HoopS

I don't know how the game will be officiated but the fact is the officiating has been sketchy for a long time. Sometimes we benefit from it too. Usually, on the road, they tighten the screws on your team. They already have an itchy trigger finger on us to begin with. If the whistle is fair, we have a shot. If it isn't, we may well get run out of the arena.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2016, 11:36:35 am
Harris got him with the body. 

Hogs decided to go man and got spread out.  Then typical of Qualls, he went for a block he had no business even attempting instead of staying on the weak side for the game clinching rebound.  Harris did a pretty good job challenging the initial shot.  Can't blame the officials for Qualls mistake or for the Hogs all guarding at the 3pt line with a 1pt lead allowing for a drive with a smaller player vs a larger slower player and an off reb opportunity.

I think I recall this pretty clearly after you mentioning Harris got him with the body. 

Officials typically swallow the whistle at the end of the game and they only call something if it's egregious.  That was a foul call that no one disputes with 4 minutes left, but means everything with time expiring.  Most NCAA officials don't assert themselves on the final seconds of the game unless it's an obvious foul, out of bounds, foot on the line, or clock issue.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 01, 2016, 11:39:24 am
Well HV is the only place where "football is king", yet the expectations for the program are lower than for basketball. You can go 15-11 in 2 years football and you are a rock star around here.

It isn't HV. 

The expectations are different.  The popularity of the sports are very different.

The jealousy is real with a small group of basketball fans.  I understand it though as some of you are still very devoted Nolan fans and you believe he was wronged and some of it was football driven. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2016, 11:45:40 am
It isn't HV. 

The expectations are different.  The popularity of the sports are very different.

The jealousy is real with a small group of basketball fans.  I understand it though as some of you are still very devoted Nolan fans and you believe he was wronged and some of it was football driven. 

I don't think it is that as much as they just cant stand that basketball, for most fans, has become a 1 month sport. Conf tournaments and the big dance is all most people follow anymore. At most p5 schools basketball is no big deal, and football rules all.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 01, 2016, 11:41:43 am
I think I recall this pretty clearly after you mentioning Harris got him with the body. 

Officials typically swallow the whistle at the end of the game and they only call something if it's egregious.  That was a foul call that no one disputes with 4 minutes left, but means everything with time expiring.  Most NCAA officials don't assert themselves on the final seconds of the game unless it's an obvious foul, out of bounds, foot on the line, or clock issue.

It might not have been called in BWA.  Maybe. 

As far as officiating in college basketball, we are seeing nearly yearly a new emphasis for officials.  Coaches find what they aren't calling and try and get an advantage.  Part of the SEC's issue has been quality of players, play, coaching and how teams intend to play.  "Hawg Ball" does have a rep and opposing SEC coaches make sure they remind the officials of it.  Pearl ball is a horrid sloppy mess with physical defensive play.  We had Barnes at OM which was like rugby basketball.  Martin and SC, Fox at UGa and now Howland and Rick Barnes, all coaches whose teams play physical basketball and the less talented their teams are the more physical they play.

TomBigBeeHog

It isn't HV. 

The jealousy is real with a small group statistically insignificant number of basketball fans who post on message boards and call in to radio shows.  I understand it though as some of you are still very devoted Nolan fans and you believe he was wronged and some of it was football driven.

What is there to be jealous of regarding the football team. Both programs need to step it up.

Breems

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 11:56:05 am
What is there to be jealous of regarding the football team. Both programs need to step it up.

Yeah, not sure where they're going with this.

TomBigBeeHog

It isn't HV. 

If I (speaking strictly as a basketball fan) were going to be jealous of a football program (which would be stupid but I am playing along here), it would be BAMA!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on February 01, 2016, 11:57:37 am
Yeah, not sure where they're going with this.
Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 11:56:05 am

;D  No idea.  It just isn't there is it?  TBB, Breems, WarPig/Shadow, Swine, dsims, ... none of you posters have ever tried to deflect perceived criticism of the basketball program or the current coach by accusing the fans of showing racism because of the head coaches of the two programs or the attention and support the football program gets in spite of your perceived underachieving.  You never whine how you view the criticism of the basketball program to be excessive compared to what the football coach or program receives. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 12:01:39 pm
If I (speaking strictly as a basketball fan) were going to be jealous of a football program (which would be stupid but I am playing along here), it would be BAMA!

Tell me which you would prefer:

me to assume you as ignorant and believe you actually think I am accusing you of jealousy because of what the football program has accomplished or not recently?

or me to know you are pretending ignorance and give you credit for being smart enough to try and dodge the actual issue of the jealousy created by the attention football receives, the perceived racial bias by some/few and the still hurt feelings over what happened with Broyles/Nutt/Nolan?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2016, 12:03:38 pm
;D  No idea.  It just isn't there is it?  TBB, Breems, WarPig/Shadow, Swine, dsims, ... none of you posters have ever tried to deflect perceived criticism of the basketball program or the current coach by accusing the fans of showing racism because of the head coaches of the two programs or the attention and support the football program gets in spite of your perceived underachieving.  You never whine how you view the criticism of the basketball program to be excessive compared to what the football coach or program receives.

No post of mine in my entire posting history indicates one iota of jealousy of the football program. I can make that blanket assertion without even checking my post history. Have I responded to idiotic comparisons of the state of football and basketball at Arkansas made by mostly idiotic posters. Yes. Two different things.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2016, 12:07:25 pm
Tell me which you would prefer:

me to assume you as ignorant and believe you actually think I am accusing you of jealousy because of what the football program has accomplished or not recently?

or me to know you are pretending ignorance and give you credit for being smart enough to try and dodge the actual issue of the jealousy created by the attention football receives, the perceived racial bias by some/few and the still hurt feelings over what happened with Broyles/Nutt/Nolan?

There is another option that you haven't considered but I won't condescend by printing it out for you. I can tell you are pretty smart.

dsims2k3

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 01, 2016, 12:01:39 pm

Bingo
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Danny J on January 31, 2016, 02:57:52 pm

I still have nightmares of how we got jobbed last year there.  Who was the ref?  Hope I never see him again...

Danny J

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 01, 2016, 10:10:32 am

Yep and I think CMA will do much like we did against LSU in that we only press man to man occasionally and we don't trap full court. I think it is best to force them to beat us straight up without relying on beating traps for easy scores. There will be plenty of opportunity to play fast because White likes to play fast as well. Pace of play in terms of full court pressing I think we are #3 only behind WVU, Louisville and just ahead of UF. So they want to play fast also.

Danny J

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 01, 2016, 12:41:34 pm
I still have nightmares of how we got jobbed last year there.  Who was the ref?  Hope I never see him again...
I can't remember but I remember that CMA was chastising the officials in the post game presser and everybody felt he was going to be fined by the SEC league office. He wasn't fined and many people, including myself, took that as an admission by the SEC that there were several questionable calls and no-calls in that game.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Danny J on February 01, 2016, 02:06:53 pm
I can't remember but I remember that CMA was chastising the officials in the post game presser and everybody felt he was going to be fined by the SEC league office. He wasn't fined and many people, including myself, took that as an admission by the SEC that there were several questionable calls and no-calls in that game.

I also feel it answered the question about what MA would do if a ref pushed him too far.  No need to yell at him on the court where no one can hear him.

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2016, 09:22:19 am
Texas Tech realized, too lat,, that the Hogs kryptonie is still a solid zone defense. Not only does it put our offense to sleep, it tends to make us sleep on defense too. I think Tubby out thought himself Sat by going back to man to man for the over time. 
You are putting way too much stock in the zones effectiveness. There were good looks taken but missed. Basketball is a game of runs, they happened to be in the zone when they made their run. Coincidently didn't they start the game in man and build a double digit lead with it? Guess we suck against man defenses too..................