Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aaron Ross

Started by Arazorbackguy1, January 30, 2016, 08:39:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 01, 2016, 07:46:47 am
And what is highlighted in bold print is true for EVERY school district in this state, as well.  There are also BAD students coming through every school in the state.  As I said before, there are some students who are as book smart as you'd find anywhere, but at the end of the day, they'll flunk every test you put in front of them.  It isn't necessarily a problem with their school district.

Agreed. But, why are we pointing out things that should go without saying? But there are problems with every school district. All of them. I simply agreed with another poster that the LR school district failed Aaron Ross in this instance. This is a kid that brought a lot of recognition to their school, had accepted a full-ride scholarship at age 15, carried a 3.0 GPA (supposedly, granted), and couldn't even come close to passing the ACT while at Parkview. Something is off there. And, when combining what I've experienced in public schools and what I know others have, it's reasonable to me that they could have done more. At the end of the day, it's the school district's job to educate their children and put them in the best possible situation to succeed. I've witnessed first hand a lot of failures in that regard. There are successes, but I'm willing to bet there are more failures. And, yes, there are kids who are book smart but struggle with tests, but I'd say they're a minority. There are more kids who just know how to do enough to get by without really learning anything and then they get to something like the ACT, where they can't trick the system, and they're screwed. My original post on this was that the LR school district failed Aaron Ross, among other things. There's no other way in my mind. Everyone involved had years to get in front of this.

Hawg Red

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 01, 2016, 07:50:13 am
THIS I can accept as an excuse, but it is the case in any state we may wish to name.

Could be wrong, but I took his use of "sad state" to mean "sad state of affairs" rather than an indictment of just the state of Arkansas.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 01, 2016, 09:04:07 am
Could be wrong, but I took his use of "sad state" to mean "sad state of affairs" rather than an indictment of just the state of Arkansas.
I updated it...  My wife has worked in NM, CO and now VA thanks to my AF career.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JRHog44

Didn't Ross go to Pulaski Academy his 9th grade year and then transfer to Parkview?

Hawg Red

Quote from: JRHog44 on February 01, 2016, 12:45:11 pm
Didn't Ross go to Pulaski Academy his 9th grade year and then transfer to Parkview?

Yes. He was at Parkview 10th-12th grade.

RaisinHog

I remember one time on hogville some guy saying most ppl made a 25 on the ACT I remember thinking to my self what world does that guy live in lol

hoglady

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 01, 2016, 06:20:14 pm
I remember one time on hogville some guy saying most ppl made a 25 on the ACT I remember thinking to my self what world does that guy live in lol

That's not even close to what most people make.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 01, 2016, 10:17:16 pm
Most people avg a 19

Alright, everybody on here say what they got! /s

wheelspigharvey

I work at a school of smart kids (not exclusively but most of them are smart kids) and they talk about the score I got in high school (27) like it's a freakin' 17.  Somebody put in these kids heads that like a 30 is a minimum.  I mean good for them, but dang.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 02, 2016, 08:09:45 am
Alright, everybody on here say what they got! /s
31, 1390/1600 on the old SAT

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on February 02, 2016, 08:57:56 am
31, 1390/1600 on the old SAT

Nice, the only test score I'm proud of is my 740 math on the GRE

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 01, 2016, 09:02:13 am
Agreed. But, why are we pointing out things that should go without saying? But there are problems with every school district. All of them. I simply agreed with another poster that the LR school district failed Aaron Ross in this instance. This is a kid that brought a lot of recognition to their school, had accepted a full-ride scholarship at age 15, carried a 3.0 GPA (supposedly, granted), and couldn't even come close to passing the ACT while at Parkview. Something is off there. And, when combining what I've experienced in public schools and what I know others have, it's reasonable to me that they could have done more. At the end of the day, it's the school district's job to educate their children and put them in the best possible situation to succeed. I've witnessed first hand a lot of failures in that regard. There are successes, but I'm willing to bet there are more failures. And, yes, there are kids who are book smart but struggle with tests, but I'd say they're a minority. There are more kids who just know how to do enough to get by without really learning anything and then they get to something like the ACT, where they can't trick the system, and they're screwed. My original post on this was that the LR school district failed Aaron Ross, among other things. There's no other way in my mind. Everyone involved had years to get in front of this.

And the more you talk about this guy, the more it sounds like he was just lousy at taking tests.  Part of that lies on the school district, no doubt, but a bigger part lies elsewhere.  One could probably argue nature/nurture on this ad nauseum, but we'd be like dogs chasing out tails.

As for Arkansas public schools, I'll be man enough to say that many areas are severely lacking, but that is in ALL Arkansas schools, not just the public schools situated in Pulaski county.  My goodness, go down to Marvell, Marianna and Helena/West Helena sometime and then try to tell me that isn't the case.

Hawg Red

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 02, 2016, 09:17:28 am
And the more you talk about this guy, the more it sounds like he was just lousy at taking tests.  Part of that lies on the school district, no doubt, but a bigger part lies elsewhere.  One could probably argue nature/nurture on this ad nauseum, but we'd be like dogs chasing out tails.

As for Arkansas public schools, I'll be man enough to say that many areas are severely lacking, but that is in ALL Arkansas schools, not just the public schools situated in Pulaski county.  My goodness, go down to Marvell, Marianna and Helena/West Helena sometime and then try to tell me that isn't the case.

Dude, why are continuing to lecture me that there are problems in all Arkansas schools? Why?

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2016, 09:39:09 am
Dude, why are continuing to lecture me that there are problems in all Arkansas schools? Why?

Nobody is lecturing you.  It's a discussion that you pretty much started.  If you didn't want to discuss it, then why even bring it up in the first place?

Hawg Red

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 02, 2016, 09:48:59 am
Nobody is lecturing you.  It's a discussion that you pretty much started.  If you didn't want to discuss it, then why even bring it up in the first place?

It's not that I don't want to discuss the actual topic. It's that you keep acting like I'm saying this is something exclusive to Central Arkansas school districts when I've already said that it isn't. I have flat out said that all school districts have problems and I'm only talking about the LR school district because that's where Aaron Ross went to school. Then you come back daring me to "go down to Marvell, Marianna and Helena/West Helena sometime and then try to tell me that isn't the case."

When you come back at someone trying to argue about something they've already agreed about, it comes across as lecturing. It's definitely redundant.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2016, 09:57:01 am
It's not that I don't want to discuss the actual topic. It's that you keep acting like I'm saying this is something exclusive to Central Arkansas school districts when I've already said that it isn't. I have flat out said that all school districts have problems and I'm only talking about the LR school district because that's where Aaron Ross went to school. Then you come back daring me to "go down to Marvell, Marianna and Helena/West Helena sometime and then try to tell me that isn't the case."

When you come back at someone trying to argue about something they've already agreed about, it comes across as lecturing. It's definitely redundant.

And that is primarily because you acted like it was the schools in Pulaski county and more specifically the LR school district which let him down.  My point is that there are much worse districts in the state than the ones in Pulaski county, and I named a few which certainly bear that out.  Again, I am not lecturing you, but rather pointing out that as a whole, Arkansas public schools suck.  I think it is a reason why our public schools are almost dead last in nearly every measurable category, but that is a different discussion for a different day.

I'm rather wordy, I know that.  When I get on a horse, I tend to ride it for a while.  Sorry if I offended you.

Hawg Red

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 02, 2016, 10:03:16 am
And that is primarily because you acted like it was the schools in Pulaski county and more specifically the LR school district which let him down.  My point is that there are much worse districts in the state than the ones in Pulaski county, and I named a few which certainly bear that out.  Again, I am not lecturing you, but rather pointing out that as a whole, Arkansas public schools suck.  I think it is a reason why our public schools are almost dead last in nearly every measurable category, but that is a different discussion for a different day.

I'm rather wordy, I know that.  When I get on a horse, I tend to ride it for a while.  Sorry if I offended you.

I acted like the school district that Ross was in let him down.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 31, 2016, 11:55:06 am
Good friend of mine took advantage of the services and graduated pretty high in his class.  Often times received 3 additional hours for test and additional support for projects.  He was not an athelete.

I also know someone whose parents did this exact thing.  Got her a doc that would write the lettes/notes to get the U of A to approve, she thought she would need all the help to get into med school. She ended up graduating with a 4.0 from U of A, and was obnoxious as hell. 

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2016, 10:04:08 am
I acted like the school district that Ross was in let him down.

Fair enough.  It's one of many indicators of why so many families choose to live outside Pulaski County when they work in Pulaski County, I guess.  It, strangely enough, is also why so many parents in Pulaski County and the other districts I named are sending their children to private academies near where they live versus the failing public schools which are like glorified war zones in many ways.  My goodness, when I was in HS back in the early 80's, Cabot was a 3A school and Beebe was a 2A school.  Mayflower was barely able to field a 1A football team.  How things have changed.  Today, they are glorified bedroom communities for people working in Little Rock.  And FWIW, you are probably right about the things you've been saying.  Again, sorry if what I was saying was offending you.

Wanna discuss what we think is wrong with schools in this state in general?  LOL

I'd argue that it isn't so much funding itself, but rather that the funding isn't being spent in the right ways which ultimately help and prepare students for what they face.   I also believe that discipline (or the lack thereof) is an incredibly major issue.  Those two things interfere with a child's ability to learn regardless of whether they are a star athlete or just someone who needs education or skills which will ultimately help them in their adult lives.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on February 02, 2016, 10:18:06 am
Fair enough.  It's one of many indicators of why so many families choose to live outside Pulaski County when they work in Pulaski County, I guess.  It, strangely enough, is also why so many parents in Pulaski County and the other districts I named are sending their children to private academies near where they live versus the failing public schools which are like glorified war zones in many ways.  My goodness, when I was in HS back in the early 80's, Cabot was a 3A school and Beebe was a 2A school.  Mayflower was barely able to field a 1A football team.  How things have changed.  Today, they are glorified bedroom communities for people working in Little Rock.  And FWIW, you are probably right about the things you've been saying.  Again, sorry if what I was saying was offending you.

Wanna discuss what we think is wrong with schools in this state in general?  LOL

I'd argue that it isn't so much funding itself, but rather that the funding isn't being spent in the right ways which ultimately help and prepare students for what they face.   I also believe that discipline (or the lack thereof) is an incredibly major issue.  Those two things interfere with a child's ability to learn regardless of whether they are a star athlete or just someone who needs education or skills which will ultimately help them in their adult lives.

My wife works at an elemantary in Springdale, and I work at a high school in the NWA area.  I used to think that better education for kids would lead to better outcomes in their lives, and that's still true, but what we both see a lot of the time is that the home life affects the school life way more than vice versa. 

I don't know if there is one silver bullet for it but so many of these kids come from food-insecure homes.  I honestly think that all of our kids in the state deserve to get at least 2 full, nutritious meals and like 2 snacks every day at school.  They are compelled to go there and it is their job basically, for which they get paid nothing.  It might be kind of a radical Bernie Sanders type idea, but a serious re-thinking of how and how much we are supposed to be feeding these little growing bodies and brains would go a long way in the classroom.  I mean I am sitting here on Hogville when I should be grading because I'm so danged hungry, and I'm a grown-up.  Philosophically that probably doesn't jive with a lot of folks but to me the schools' job is to take care of the kids, not necessarily to judge how well the parents can budget.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 02, 2016, 10:28:26 am
My wife works at an elemantary in Springdale, and I work at a high school in the NWA area.  I used to think that better education for kids would lead to better outcomes in their lives, and that's still true, but what we both see a lot of the time is that the home life affects the school life way more than vice versa. 

I don't know if there is one silver bullet for it but so many of these kids come from food-insecure homes.  I honestly think that all of our kids in the state deserve to get at least 2 full, nutritious meals and like 2 snacks every day at school.  They are compelled to go there and it is their job basically, for which they get paid nothing.  It might be kind of a radical Bernie Sanders type idea, but a serious re-thinking of how and how much we are supposed to be feeding these little growing bodies and brains would go a long way in the classroom.  I mean I am sitting here on Hogville when I should be grading because I'm so danged hungry, and I'm a grown-up.  Philosophically that probably doesn't jive with a lot of folks but to me the schools' job is to take care of the kids, not necessarily to judge how well the parents can budget.

Oh yeah, proper nutrition is a BIG deal, but that part of the deal shouldn't be the ownership of the school district IMHO.  I'm not a big fan of a school district sending home nasty-grams to parents who send lunches to school with their children on what they deem acceptable or appropriate, either.  If they want to send their kid with a snack of a candy bar instead of an apple, I believe that should be up to that child's parents.  At least they care enough to try and ward off the "curious munchies" which so often hit us in the middle of the day.  LOL

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 02, 2016, 10:28:26 am

I am also a fan of smaller, local school districts for the most part.  I believe a child learns more and gets more personal help and attention when class sizes are smaller than in larger one where they tend to get lost in the shuffle.  It's incredibly intimidating for a student to ask for personal help when they know that their peers are going to find out in most cases.  You and I both know that it takes an incredibly big person to admit they need help.  Youngsters aren't usually able to understand that.

Hogimus Prime

I wish Ross could've been a Hog.  I think he could've been a big help the last couple of years

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 02, 2016, 10:54:06 am
I wish Ross could've been a Hog.  I think he could've been a big help the last couple of years

Yep.  I hated seeing him not come to The Hill.  Everything I saw or read about him said he had a great deal of upside.

hoglady

I can remember watching an AAU game at UALR with Madden, Ross and Mickelson.
The 2 folks with me loved Mickelson (me not so much). I loved Ross. Was really disappointed when he didn't make it to the Hill and really hated it when he got injured.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

The_Iceman

Quote from: hoglady on February 02, 2016, 12:13:51 pm
I can remember watching an AAU game at UALR with Madden, Ross and Mickelson.
The 2 folks with me loved Mickelson (me not so much). I loved Ross. Was really disappointed when he didn't make it to the Hill and really hated it when he got injured.

Ross seemed like a guy who peaked physically early in life and then never really got better after that. He was like a Top 10 5-star player in 9th and 10th grade, then just slowly regressed after that. I think when Ross started projecting as a PF instead of a SF, it hurt him.

hoglady

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 02, 2016, 12:22:01 pm
Ross seemed like a guy who peaked physically early in life and then never really got better after that. He was like a Top 10 5-star player in 9th and 10th grade, then just slowly regressed after that. I think when Ross started projecting as a PF instead of a SF, it hurt him.

You're probably right.
He lost something with his injury, too.
Got to say though - the kid has persevered through it all.

Cinco de Hogo

There is still a place for people who fall thru cracks.  Millions do ever year, they serve us at McDonald's. The stuff of this thread is the same as the original problem.  His basketball poweress make's him special.  See the correlation? 

If every single person in the country graduated a four year college or above we would still have problems because they didn't get the eight year degree.  Our main problem with schools almost entirely rest in the bigger inner city schools but only because of the crime element. 

If you attend a small country school and don't make it to college you go to work and most likely lead a good life, get married, have kids etc...  Those are the type of people I know, and surprisingly a good amount of them are happier than the ones that constantly struggle to stay ahead of the next 31 point test taker.  They live in good houses on acreage.  Do fun things with their kids, on and on. 

Big city statisticians do not understand this and that is why Arkansas ranks so low on education.  They can't understand why someone wouldn't trade that for their life.

So the problem is not bad schools everywhere the problem is only when kids are raised in poor inner city areas where bad outside influences affect everything they do from birth.

Take those same kids and raise them in a small rural area and if they score a 9 they will simply go to work somewhere and they will be fine doing their part in society.  Basketball and being from a larger city with problems is the only thing that make this particular young man worth this much attention. 

I will say this, I agree that it starts at home and not knowing the young man or his parents, I would hazard a guess that it would have been very difficult for educators to have gotten him off the courts at that time in his life.

Educators have no special rights or powers in that regards.